2023 Pacific Championships

I hoped so as well….

I think listening to Madge for 3 weeks would be very different to 3 years…

Personalities that intense wear thin after a while - cost him his job more than once…
Certainly looked like his intensity had worn thin with the players when you look at their reactions when he was addressing them in the Tales From Tiger Town.

and for some reason the Western Sydney team fails to attract Sponsors...
We’re an NRL Franchise. One of only 17 in the world.
Our large fanbase forces the NRL to give us a lot of free to air games.
We have genuine stars in the team and are being coached by our most famous player ever.
Landing sponsors should not be that hard.

It’s an interesting question. We have a lot of guys in this team who are battle weary I.e. they play all rounds + origin + finals + Internationals. Year after year it takes its toll.

This is the current Kangaroo 17:
  1. James Tedesco - I think he is done. Too much footy has affected him and he looks tired. The energetic hard runner is disappearing. We need speed at the back and a ball player. Edwards is safe but not dynamic. Walsh is fast and dynamic, but is also a bit green and Penrith exposed him in the GF. He needs time. Turbo is too injury prone and Latrell is better at centre. Enter Ponga. He should be the next Australian fullback.
  2. Dylan Edwards - Not a winger. Really struggled there. I’d keep him on the hook for now as a backup fullback for Ponga until Walsh is ready but he should not play wing again for Australia. Cobbo is too casual for mine at this level. He works great at premiership grade but he doesn’t do enough at Test level. Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow is my choice for right wing moving forward.
  3. Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow - Not in our best centres but his speed and game presence is required in the Kangaroo team. I’m a big wrap on Campbell Graham and he would be my right centre.
  4. Kotoni Staggs - I like him and he goes alright. Great aggression and committment. Needs to keep working on defence. For the time being, I would take him out and slip Latrell in there.
  5. Valentine Holmes - Wing is his position and the sooner he realises this, the better. 20 tries in 21 games…he should stay for now but I’d start getting Jason Saab ready to step up.
  6. Cameron Munster - This is a hard one. Cam has done well for a long time but IMO never hit the heights that many presumed him to have. He is one of the battle weary guys like Teddy. I’d look to phase him out ASAP, however his replacement needs time still. Munster to keep his position next year with Cody Walker as backup whilst Ezra Mam is being groomed to take over, playing Origin in 24 with an eye to International selection in 25.
  7. Daly Cherry-Evans - Been a warrior for a lot of years. A third member of the battle weary gang. A fit Nathan Cleary retakes the 7 jersey next year.
  8. Payne Haas - He stays. Far too good not to include.
  9. Ben Hunt - No.9 is our weakest position. Hunt and Harry Grant have done an admirable job between them but their efforts combined still falls short of what we were used to with Smith. Grant will probably be the 9 moving forward and I hate that. At this stage I don’t think he belongs at this level. That said his competition is too green - Mahoney, Brailey or too old - Hunt, Cook, Api. Grant it is.
  10. Tino Fa'asuamaleaui - He picks himself. The odd poor performance is so rare that he is an asset.
  11. Rueben Cotter - Great player, not a second rower. David Fifita is improving and is almost uncontrollable in beast mode. I’d push for him.
  12. Liam Martin - Goes hard and is worth persisting with. Needs to better his defence though.
  13. Isaah Yeo - Controversial as he is a warrior as well but I think he is winding down fast. Played a lot of footy the past 4 years. Cam Murray is younger and more dynamic. Lock position is his.
  14. Harry Grant - As he is to be elevated to starting hooker, we need a proper utility. For now I’d use Nicho Hynes.
  15. Lindsay Collins - is a great bench prop. Keep him there.
  16. Pat Carrigan - Has to be there. First choice replacement for Murray at lock as well if required.
  17. Reuben Cotter and Tommy Fleggler to fight out for spot 17.

So I’d go the following;
1. Kaylyn Ponga - train up Reece Walsh
2. Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow
3. Campbell Graham
4. Latrell Mitchel
5. Valentine Holmes - train up Jason Saab
6. Cameron Munster - transition in Mam in 25
7. Nathan Cleary
8. Payne Haas
9. Harry Grant - train up Blayke Brailey
10. Tino Fa'asuamaleaui
11. David Fifita
12. Liam Martin
13. Cameron Murray
14. Nicho Hynes
15. Lindsay Collins
16. Patrick Carrigan
17. Rueben Cotter
Agree with a lot of this. I prefer Flegler over Cotter and would also add Tom Gilbert to the mix.
The one selection that I can't get behind is Saab. He has all the attributes to an elite winger but has not looked as though he will ever actually develop into one.
I'd have JAC ahead of Val for now and not sure who the winger of the future is at this stage but would be backing Munro to be in the conversation sooner rather than later.

That guy that scored that last try. Who does he play for? Never heard of him. Thats how much I know.
The likes of Neame is why I can't get all that excited about Utoikamanu. Utoikamnu could become a very good player but Pretty much every club has a very good young forward coming through that could easily outperform Utoikamanu over the next decade.

The one selection that I can't get behind is Saab. He has all the attributes to an elite winger but has not looked as though he will ever actually develop into one.
He is still young. Only just turned 23.
Is it worth the Kangaroo managers spending time trying to help Manly develop him?
At this stage I’d say yes.

The likes of Neame is why I can't get all that excited about Utoikamanu. Utoikamnu could become a very good player but Pretty much every club has a very good young forward coming through that could easily outperform Utoikamanu over the next decade.
That's why we should learn a single forward won't make the difference in games anymore.
Heck Australia with Payne Haas lost 30-0. (not saying he is to blame here).

Even with Paul Gallen, the Sharks were fairly uncompetitive till they got Luke Lewis (or 2008? when they had a few other forwards).

We have a pack. I am not optimistic for 2024, but I am optimistic for our pack still.
Klemmer, Paps, Stefano, Bateman, Pole... There is enough there that they should drive our team forward with the right coaching and preseason. I know Chris Heighington can play. I hope he can teach forwards to "tackle". lets see.

I found it interesting that the 1-17 was picked in their normal position for NZ except Foran (which was obviously as Smith and JMK were unavailable).

I think this whole thing about fitting in as many fullbacks and locks into your 17 needs to go for rep seasons. Lock and second row isn't interchangeable.

Very happy for Madge- he deserves it.

Well we found something out.
Even with Munster, DCE, Yeo, Teddy and Harry Grant..

The Wests Tigers would still loose games 30-0.
Signing Suggestions and Roumers won't help us.

Members online

Back