ImageImageImage
willow

Plenty of confidence in Curtis Sironen

Post by willow » Fri 06 Jul, 2012 4:28 pm

By Wayne Cousins

Friday 6 July 2012 10:40 AM

Benji Marshall knows talent when he sees it. And in his eyes, five-eighth Curtis Sironen has plenty of it.

“Personally I think he is the next up and coming star in terms of young players coming through,’’ Marshall said ahead of tonight’s clash against the Bulldogs at Allianz Stadium.

“Just training with him and playing alongside him, he doesn’t fear a lot. He is a big guy and he goes in hard.

“I’m just glad to have him back to take a little bit of pressure off me as well. It will be nice to build a combination with him.”

Sironen returns from a minor knee injury and will be looking to recapture the same form that saw him attract headlines, especially after his strong performance against Canberra in just his second NRL game.

Marshall said the Bulldogs game was a chance for the eighth placed Wests Tigers to get back on track after two disappointing losses following seven straight wins. Both teams had the bye last weekend.

“It is going to be a tough start back against the Bulldogs but that’s footy. There’s no easy games any more. You have got to turn up and play,’’ Marshall said.

Marshall will carry plenty of added responsibility on his shoulders tonight following the loss of NSW hooker Robbie Farah with concussion.

AmericanHistoryX

Post by AmericanHistoryX » Fri 06 Jul, 2012 4:30 pm

The next big thing.

Posted using RoarFEED 2012
Clouds of Dust, Buckets of Blood

"They overcame the impossible by doing the unthinkable"

yeti

Post by yeti » Fri 06 Jul, 2012 4:32 pm

He's going great so far. Can't see him being moved to the backrow for some time yet. He's done all he's been asked of him in the number 6. Let's hope he has a blinder tonight

Tbone

Post by Tbone » Fri 06 Jul, 2012 4:39 pm

It's not inconceivable that he could play origin in 12 months time if he stays injury free and keeps improving. Not much ahead of him in the halves at nsw.

Sabre

Post by Sabre » Fri 06 Jul, 2012 9:49 pm

if theres so much confidence in him then how come he barely got the ball?

tigergirlz

Post by tigergirlz » Fri 06 Jul, 2012 9:53 pm

MIA tonight, and some poor defense (like eveybody else)

Rambo2714

Post by Rambo2714 » Fri 06 Jul, 2012 9:55 pm

He was useless in attack tonight

Wests for life !

AmericanHistoryX

Post by AmericanHistoryX » Fri 06 Jul, 2012 9:56 pm

We never get smashed with Sirro in the team. More composure all round. The doggies are the real mckoy. Too young, but like father like son. You can see it coming.

Clouds of Dust, Buckets of Blood

"They overcame the impossible by doing the unthinkable"

stryker

Post by stryker » Fri 06 Jul, 2012 9:57 pm

Rambo2714 wrote:He was useless in attack tonight

..and defence. Hopefully a wake up call that first grade is tough work.

tiger jim

Post by tiger jim » Fri 06 Jul, 2012 10:00 pm

He will be ok if Sheens lets him play his own game instead of just catching and passing let the kid show what he can do, just hope Sheens does not stuff the kid around like so many others.

hellman

Post by hellman » Fri 06 Jul, 2012 10:03 pm

His defence was terrible and he did nothing in attack.

Tbone

Post by Tbone » Fri 06 Jul, 2012 10:07 pm

I barely remember him getting the ball tonight. I'll have to rematch the game to see whether benji was the reason or he just wasn't involved. I do remember him missing some critical tackles. The barba miss was in my opinion due to a poor defensive structure. It looked bad but I think barba scores against most people in that situation. He had way too much room to move.

Irvine

Post by Irvine » Fri 06 Jul, 2012 10:09 pm

Who makes the call when a player is right to come back after injury. Is it the coach or the player?
Blind Freddy could see he wasn't 100% right to play physically and mentally.
He only had surgery a few weeks ago, should never have played.

king sirro

Post by king sirro » Fri 06 Jul, 2012 10:16 pm

Harsh comments about his defence.

He missed Barba but if u look at the replay have a look at our many players we had out there.....we were short and a very fast man got on the outside of him...i can forgive that.

The Inu try is an interesting one. Yes Siro fell for the dummy, but in my opinion he did the right thing and Inu only scored because Heighno made a mistake. Siro only had our winger outside him when Inu got the ball....Inu had 2 dogs outside him, so siro gambled and went for the outside man....Inu threw the dummy.....now this is where Inu should have been smashed by Heighno who was pushing across about 2 mteres inside, but for reasons only known to him, Highno decided to take the same man Siro took......terrible decision. As Inu dummied and turned back inside, Heighno should have smashed him. Not siro's fault.

Curtis actually came up with a few good defensive plays. Only the Barba one he missed, but like i said, we were short and Barba was beating everyone one on one.
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS

PYMBLEPETE

Post by PYMBLEPETE » Fri 06 Jul, 2012 10:24 pm

king sirro wrote:Harsh comments about his defence.

He missed Barba but if u look at the replay have a look at our many players we had out there.....we were short and a very fast man got on the outside of him...i can forgive that.

The Inu try is an interesting one. Yes Siro fell for the dummy, but in my opinion he did the right thing and Inu only scored because Heighno made a mistake. Siro only had our winger outside him when Inu got the ball....Inu had 2 dogs outside him, so siro gambled and went for the outside man....Inu threw the dummy.....now this is where Inu should have been smashed by Heighno who was pushing across about 2 mteres inside, but for reasons only known to him, Highno decided to take the same man Siro took......terrible decision. As Inu dummied and turned back inside, Heighno should have smashed him. Not siro's fault.

Curtis actually came up with a few good defensive plays. Only the Barba one he missed, but like i said, we were short and Barba was beating everyone one on one.
Very good assessment Sirro; I agree with that. No way that Curtis was culpable on the Barba try. And I think you have summed up the Inu try correctly as well, although I will say that it was a very very good dummy, so maybe Chris can be forgiven.

boonboon

Post by boonboon » Fri 06 Jul, 2012 10:33 pm

Yes inu did well but as u say if anyone is to blame its heighington Sironen did what he should have and went outside Highno was their for the inside . Thought he was solid in defence and will come back in attack first week back after injury in his 4 th first grade game he was quiet what else would u expect

Snake

Post by Snake » Sat 07 Jul, 2012 10:14 am

Short of a run ...no problem with Siro last night was to be expected after 3 weeks off with not much training with knee surgery. No one in that side would of stopped Barba that close out. Siro one of the highlites this season.

Scorcher

Post by Scorcher » Sat 07 Jul, 2012 10:21 am

I thing one thing that Sirro will bring is consistency in the halves, Benji can be brilliant or terrible and he needs to start sharing the kicking duties with Sirro who has a very good kicking game. On that I would like to know why Benji can only find 10m when kicking for touch from a penalty instead of th 20-40m that everyone else has no trouble getting.