Defence a main focus for Curtis Sironen

ImageImageImage
barra

Re: Defence a main focus for Curtis Sironen

Post by barra » Tue 10 Jul, 2012 7:09 pm

Goose wrote:
Sironen missed 4, made 17 and had none ineffective, none of the misses led to line breaks or tries.
Yes he did mate, Barba got on the outside of Curtis and he couldn't reel him in... try.

hellman

Post by hellman » Tue 10 Jul, 2012 7:17 pm

Goose wrote:Sironen missed 4, made 17 and had none ineffective, none of the misses led to line breaks or tries.
Maybe I didn't see it correctly but it looked like Barba ran around him at least once to score.

tig_prmz

Post by tig_prmz » Tue 10 Jul, 2012 10:43 pm

tigerlogic wrote:
tig_prmz wrote:woods seems to have a massive impact off field as well as on field. an 18 y/o 5/8 saying he has learnt so much from a 19 y/o prop just shows the impression woods has created on everyone in the team.
Woods is atleast 21 maybe 22... Plus they new each other from school hence the bond

Posted using RoarFEED 2012
sorry. just checked he turned 21 in march this year.
regardless, for such a young prop to give advice to a younger 5/8... and act as a role model shows maturity, mateship and leadership (<-- too early to call for that though)
My Round 1 Team 2018

1. lolo 2. noffa 3. suli 4. milne 5. fonua
6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal
11. McQuen 12. Lawrence 13. Eiso
14. Matulino 15. McIllwrick 16. Sue 17. Aloiai
18. Marsters 19. Benji 20. Grant 21. K Naiqama
Next: Liddle, MCK, Felise, MWZ, Thompson, Rochow, Gamble

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Wed 11 Jul, 2012 12:05 am

hellman wrote:
Goose wrote:Sironen missed 4, made 17 and had none ineffective, none of the misses led to line breaks or tries.
Maybe I didn't see it correctly but it looked like Barba ran around him at least once to score.
Barba outrun him to score but didn't run around him Hellman

cktiger

Post by cktiger » Wed 11 Jul, 2012 8:49 am

Barba has run around plenty of better and more experienced players than Sironen.
My only concern was that , once again , we have someone being completely overshadowed and (sometimes) ignored by Marshall.
Honestly , you would hardly know young Siro was on the field.
The kid has obviously got talent but it is getting harder to see it.
I haven't got an answer - how many halves has it happened to now?
I'm getting to the stage where I'd even consider moving Marshall to fullback and putting Moltzen with Siro .

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Wed 11 Jul, 2012 9:23 am

cktiger wrote:Barba has run around plenty of better and more experienced players than Sironen.
My only concern was that , once again , we have someone being completely overshadowed and (sometimes) ignored by Marshall.
I'm getting to the stage where I'd even consider moving Marshall to fullback and putting Moltzen with Siro .
That old chestnut?

I have a solution. It's not even an original idea... Sign an established half!

Don't know why Sheens seems to think he needs to get his hands on the ball more. His running game is ruined, he looks to have lost about two yards of pace and his kicking game is still a mixed bag. What happened to the good ol' days where it was a case of "less is more" with Marshall?
Madge's Maulers.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

TIGER

Post by TIGER » Thu 12 Jul, 2012 3:14 pm

Curtis is not a 5/8

willow

Post by willow » Thu 12 Jul, 2012 3:25 pm

TIGER wrote:Curtis is not a 5/8
So why has he played in that position for most of his career?

hellman

Post by hellman » Thu 12 Jul, 2012 4:47 pm

happy tiger wrote:
hellman wrote:
I seriously think you need to rewatch the highlights if you are sticking to that line. He got beat badly because he didn't move quick enough laterally. He knows it and hence the focus on defence.

He might be a good player. He might turn out to be a great player. Benji at 7 and Sirro at 6 may lead us to the finals and win us the comp. The simple fact through is that his defence against the dogs was terrible.

simonthetiger

Post by simonthetiger » Thu 12 Jul, 2012 9:22 pm

Benjis was worse.

kh_canada

Post by kh_canada » Fri 13 Jul, 2012 12:16 am

cktiger wrote:Barba has run around plenty of better and more experienced players than Sironen.
I wouldn't mind seeing that, be interesting to see the two work together
The Huth... the Huth... the Huth is on fire

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Fri 13 Jul, 2012 4:48 am

hellman wrote:
happy tiger wrote:
hellman wrote:
I seriously think you need to rewatch the highlights if you are sticking to that line. He got beat badly because he didn't move quick enough laterally. He knows it and hence the focus on defence.

He might be a good player. He might turn out to be a great player. Benji at 7 and Sirro at 6 may lead us to the finals and win us the comp. The simple fact through is that his defence against the dogs was terrible.
If you are talking about Barba try in the second half in the corner Barba turns it into a footrace and there aren't too many players who could of stopped him in the NRL let alone Sirro

Sironen was having to keep him on the outside to stop him stepping inside him as there was no inside defence working back inside
In wet slippery conditions you always try and make the opposition throw the extra pass
He did the best thing possible , which was to make the conversion harder

Hellman tell me how he could of handled it any other way He is marking a guy who is much quicker and much more nimbler who had him beat on the outside and was defending in the centres against a guy over ten metres is one of the quickest going around

If anything the winger should of come in nailed Barba and then let Sirro try and drill the winger into touch if they go outside Barba

hellman

Post by hellman » Fri 13 Jul, 2012 7:14 am

simonthetiger wrote:Benjis was worse.
I noticed Sironen more but you could be right. I have no idea what has happened to this part of Benji's game. He looked to have picked it up at various times this year and was hitting hard. Now it is like his running game and he has just forgot about it.

hellman

Post by hellman » Fri 13 Jul, 2012 7:16 am

happy tiger wrote:Hellman tell me how he could of handled it any other way He is marking a guy who is much quicker and much more nimbler who had him beat on the outside and was defending in the centres against a guy over ten metres is one of the quickest going around

If anything the winger should of come in nailed Barba and then let Sirro try and drill the winger into touch if they go outside Barba
He should have tackled him. Its really that simple.

boonboon

Post by boonboon » Fri 13 Jul, 2012 2:12 pm

I think being beaten by Ben Barba is excusable given almost every player in the NRL has been this year. ALso remeber Sironen is 19 was in only his 4th game of first grade and was in his first game back from a knee injury he was always going to struggle a bit last week and to be honest for the rest of the year he will be hot and cold but he is a star in the making and his defence has been solid in general given we are one of the worst defending teams in the comp (only Raiders and Eels have conceded more line breaks)

Twodogs

Post by Twodogs » Fri 13 Jul, 2012 2:32 pm

Bulldogs were cheating with obstructions. It made our defence look even worse than it was.

Posted using RoarFEED 2012

Goose

Post by Goose » Fri 13 Jul, 2012 5:17 pm

hellman wrote:
happy tiger wrote:Hellman tell me how he could of handled it any other way He is marking a guy who is much quicker and much more nimbler who had him beat on the outside and was defending in the centres against a guy over ten metres is one of the quickest going around

He escaped the official black mark (for the try) on the stat sheet, but looking at the replay, he is responsible, got stuck with a big channel and a quick Barba, probably should have pushed up harder, tough one to hang him on.

At least the young fella is seeing defence as an area for improvement

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sat 14 Jul, 2012 10:17 am

hellman wrote:

The only way he was going to get a hand on him was to come screaming out of the line and any half worth his salt would of ducked in behind him and scored the simplest try

If their is anything we need to learn that if you come out of the line the inside defenders need to move up to cover the inside runner

The inside defender didn't even move to help Sirro

"Really that simple" If it was really that simple anyone could do it and we would have lots of nil all draws

As most would realize defence is actually harder than attack as at least you have a fair idea what your attack is trying to do