Defence a main focus for Curtis Sironen

ImageImageImage
willow

Post by willow » Mon 09 Jul, 2012 7:25 pm

By Wayne Cousins

Monday 9 July 2012 4:55 PM

Being more consistent in defence is the main focus for young Wests Tigers five-eighth Curtis Sironen.

“I know I am being targeted by opposition teams because of my inexperience,’’ Sironen said today ahead of Saturday night’s match against Penrith at Campbelltown Sports Stadium.

“I don’t feel like a weakness. I feel as strong as the other blokes but it is just trying to do it week in, week out.

“I’m just trying to work on my defence. That’s the biggest thing coming from the 20s to first grade, the defensive side of the game.

“The attack will come, especially playing outside of (half-back) Benji (Marshall). He creates so much for me. I’m just trying to work on the little things at the moment.”

The 18-year-old says he has learnt plenty from Marshall and prop Aaron Woods after just 4 matches in the Telstra Premiership.

“Every week I’m getting more and more confident. The boys around me are definitely helping so I am just trying to ease my way in slowly,’’ Sironen said.

“I was a bit disappointed with my (knee) injury as I was really looking forward to playing the Roosters at Leichhardt on the Sunday. I’m just happy to be back in the team now and I just want to do my job.

“Aaron Woods is a good mate and he is only a few years older than me, so he has been giving me some advice.

“Benji is steering me in the right direction. He has told me to be more dominant. I wasn’t as dominant as I should have been (against the Bulldogs) last Friday night.

“I didn’t get as much ball as I might have wanted. I will adjust to that as I get more games under the belt and talk more.”

willow

Post by willow » Mon 09 Jul, 2012 7:27 pm

Might want to get into Benji's and Blair's ear about defence. They're the two biggest culprits for missed tackles in the Tigers side and I think both are ranked in the top 10 for missed tackles in the NRL.

tig_prmz

Post by tig_prmz » Mon 09 Jul, 2012 7:38 pm

woods seems to have a massive impact off field as well as on field. an 18 y/o 5/8 saying he has learnt so much from a 19 y/o prop just shows the impression woods has created on everyone in the team.
My Round 1 Team 2018

1. lolo 2. noffa 3. suli 4. milne 5. fonua
6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal
11. McQuen 12. Lawrence 13. Eiso
14. Matulino 15. McIllwrick 16. Sue 17. Aloiai
18. Marsters 19. Benji 20. Grant 21. K Naiqama
Next: Liddle, MCK, Felise, MWZ, Thompson, Rochow, Gamble

TuiTui

Post by TuiTui » Mon 09 Jul, 2012 7:39 pm

Where can i find stats like that Willow?
i find the NRL.com stats thingy very tedious to use..
Quit work, be a Robot.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Mon 09 Jul, 2012 7:55 pm

Sirro its not your fault you didn't get much ball

The experienced 7 and the new 9 need a kick up the butt for the lack of ball you got

willow

Post by willow » Mon 09 Jul, 2012 8:00 pm

TuiTui wrote:Where can i find stats like that Willow?
i find the NRL.com stats thingy very tedious to use..
I came across the top 10 for missed tackles in last week's RLW magazine Happy. Benji ranks second in the comp I think, while Blair was around 9th from memory. Either way, it's disgraceful.

hellman

Post by hellman » Mon 09 Jul, 2012 9:19 pm

Sironen was probably our worst defender against the dogs. He needs to work on it a lot.

izotope

Post by izotope » Mon 09 Jul, 2012 9:24 pm

Least he recongnises two things for him to personally work on - more ball and better defense

good work lad! im sure ull shine bright in the next few games
tigers!

shano

Post by shano » Mon 09 Jul, 2012 10:55 pm

Got to give young Sirro some credit for admitting his mistakes from last game and his weaknesses at the moment. He's just a kid with only 4 first grade games. Takes courage to admit it publicly. He has the right attitude. Give him time.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Tue 10 Jul, 2012 12:06 am

hellman wrote:Sironen was probably our worst defender against the dogs. He needs to work on it a lot.
Bud Benji wears the 7 jersey and Sirro wears the 6 jersey

Benji made Sirro look like David Gillespie defensively

tigerlogic

Post by tigerlogic » Tue 10 Jul, 2012 6:46 am

tig_prmz wrote:woods seems to have a massive impact off field as well as on field. an 18 y/o 5/8 saying he has learnt so much from a 19 y/o prop just shows the impression woods has created on everyone in the team.
Woods is atleast 21 maybe 22... Plus they new each other from school hence the bond

Posted using RoarFEED 2012

hellman

Post by hellman » Tue 10 Jul, 2012 8:00 am

happy tiger wrote:
hellman wrote:Sironen was probably our worst defender against the dogs. He needs to work on it a lot.

Benji was really bad and I mean really bad but I thought Sirro was worse.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Tue 10 Jul, 2012 8:19 am

I can remember a bone jarrer that Sirro made on Kassiano , sorry mate more than I can say for Benji

Why they had the both of them defending in the centres i'll never know

Sheens can't be that stupid can he , centre is the hardest position to defend

kh_canada

Post by kh_canada » Tue 10 Jul, 2012 10:01 am

hellman wrote:
happy tiger wrote:

Benji was really bad and I mean really bad but I thought Sirro was worse.
Benji was really starting to find form this year and that game looked like he made no progress, as for Sirro he's stil inexperienced and learning and he had the balls to admit it. Props to the lad
The Huth... the Huth... the Huth is on fire

Aladinsane

Post by Aladinsane » Tue 10 Jul, 2012 12:44 pm

I reckon the Sirro will have a massive game this Saturday & i hope its not a coincidence that Benji's game has gone down hill big time since he got engaged ....

Posted using RoarFEED 2012

helmesy

Post by helmesy » Tue 10 Jul, 2012 1:12 pm

Watch those inside balls Curtis.

Goose

Post by Goose » Tue 10 Jul, 2012 4:38 pm

happy tiger wrote:I can remember a bone jarrer that Sirro made on Kassiano , sorry mate more than I can say for Benji

Why they had the both of them defending in the centres i'll never know

Sheens can't be that stupid can he , centre is the hardest position to defend
Sirro defended in the traditional five eight slot 2 in, Benji moved when we lost Lote, Ayshford and Benji went one wider when we put in an extra back rower (forced change of course), They made 4 breaks that led to tries in that channel, the Lote injury indirectly hurt us a lot.

Hellman, I dont know how you can say SIrro was worse in defence on friday, Benji missed 6, made only 9, also had 2 ineffective, 4 of those directly led to tries (if you include the mis read by committing on Barba after Fulton picked him up on the inside.
Sironen missed 4, made 17 and had none ineffective, none of the misses led to line breaks or tries.

LaT

Post by LaT » Tue 10 Jul, 2012 4:46 pm

Sirro seems to have a good head on his shoulders. Its a great attitude to admit mistakes and make a commitment to atone for them.
TigPies till I die!

I say, I say I resemble that remark!