Focus solely on must win match

ImageImageImage
willow

Post by willow » Fri 13 Jul, 2012 8:01 pm

By Wayne Cousins

Friday 13 July 2012 6:52 PM

Wests Tigers Head Coach Tim Sheens is wary of the impact the Luke Lewis drama will have on Penrith at Campbelltown Sports Stadium tomorrow night.

With Lewis looking for a new club next season after being granted a release with two years still to go on his Penrith contract, Sheens feels the NSW and Australian player will want to finish on a high.

“Players, when they sort out their future, whether it's a contract to stay or go, they generally once its settled, they settle down. Then they will give their best for their mates,’’ Sheens said.

“I know Luke pretty well. He will be out to do the best he can for that team for the rest of the season.

“We went through a similar thing with Gareth Ellis this season. He came out and asked for a release - not quite the same but it impacts us big time with the year and the future, and rocked the boys a bit. Gareth has been out, I know he's busting to come back into the side to give what he can for the team for the rest of the season.”

With the finals only eight weeks away, Sheens is looking no further ahead than the must win match against the Panthers.

“I have been in the game too long to start worrying about what might happen, who we're playing, whatever. Too many things can happen. Injury and issues like that you can't predict,’’ he said.

“Our main focus is to get everyone healthy and get our best side on the park, win as many games as we can and the way the competition is compressing anyone can make a run at it. You win seven out of your next eight, you can squeeze in.”

Sheens added the return of NSW hooker Robbie Farah to the team would help take the pressure off young five-eighth Curtis Sironen after a quiet game against the Bulldogs last week.

“Curtis got run out of the game last week. He hardly touched the ball. For a five-eighth, I think he had nine touches. Which tells you Benji had 71, so Benji pushed him out of the game,’’ Sheens offered.

“We have worked hard on getting Curtis into the game this week. Robbie coming back will help divide that up a little bit as well. But he's young and he's not prepared to stand up quite yet to the senior guys but we have worked pretty hard this week.

“He's like any young pivot. You step up with senior guys you tend to get run over a bit voice-wise. But I think he is good enough to get there and over the next eight weeks we will be using him as five-eighth.”

AmericanHistoryX

Post by AmericanHistoryX » Fri 13 Jul, 2012 9:16 pm

Benji didn't trust Curtis. At least 'they' admit that.

Posted using RoarFEED 2012
Clouds of Dust, Buckets of Blood

"They overcame the impossible by doing the unthinkable"