Player and team stats from the game

ImageImageImage
Paris Cobbs

Re: Player and team stats from the game

Post by Paris Cobbs » Mon 16 Jul, 2012 2:33 am

Thanks again Willow. Good to see Chris Lawrence showing some pace.
Cheering for the mighty Wests Tigers, all the way from France.

Juro

Post by Juro » Mon 16 Jul, 2012 11:15 am

The other thing with the total metres, if you take out Heighington's try, where he was put into a yawning hole, how many metres did he make? I was delighted he scored, of course, but just saying that when he has defenders in front of him, he struggles to go forward...
I've been a member since 2012. We last played finals football in 2011. Just saying...

mtd

Post by mtd » Mon 16 Jul, 2012 3:28 pm

king sirro wrote:Not a fan of stats at all and think they show nothing.

Think about it.. some example are Heighno, he can look good on paper making well over 100metres, but it doesnt show his average metre gain per run. He makes more metres cos he has more runs. And before anyone says "but we whos going to make those runs if hes not there".....do u really think no one would be there to take the run?

As for missed tackles....well that can so often be decieving. For example, a player can miss many tackles but in actual fact said player can be caught in a position where he does a great job in helping shut down a play when we are short but actually misses the tackle and a team mate is able to make the tackle due to the pressure put on by the player that gets marked down as missing the tackle. The best way to judge a players defence is if they miss those one on one tackles that lead to lone breaks or tries. Because so often, someone like Ayshford can miss a tackle, but it sbecause they have to make a certain play knowing they will miss but it will give their inside or outside man a chance to make the tackle.

Thats why i hate stats and hate players who clearly base their game around numbers and not whats best for the team.
stats can be important if interpreted correctly...

e.g farah made 47 tackles... there was a period a few years ago he'd make 30 a game... so it shows how far he has come since then... it can show who is pulling their weight and who is not...

based on matt bell's stats im suprised he hasnt been given more minutes this year (ahead of heighno)

Paris Cobbs

Post by Paris Cobbs » Tue 17 Jul, 2012 1:33 am

Look at Liam Fulton's stats and add to them the fact that he made at least 5 tackles in situations where Penrith could have scored. I thought he was our best player, just ahead of Robbie. Look at the numbers on the player of the year, no one seems to have rated Fulton. If you get the chance, watch a replay. He was everywhere in defence, scored a try and contributed significantly to Robbie's try by shifting the ball across the ruck to Benji who angled back and was only just pulled up.

No one must consider dropping him, even when we have Ellis, Blair and Galloway all back.
Cheering for the mighty Wests Tigers, all the way from France.

ellery schofield

Post by ellery schofield » Tue 17 Jul, 2012 2:51 am

Paris Cobbs wrote:Look at Liam Fulton's stats and add to them the fact that he made at least 5 tackles in situations where Penrith could have scored. I thought he was our best player, just ahead of Robbie. Look at the numbers on the player of the year, no one seems to have rated Fulton. If you get the chance, watch a replay. He was everywhere in defence, scored a try and contributed significantly to Robbie's try by shifting the ball across the ruck to Benji who angled back and was only just pulled up.

No one must consider dropping him, even when we have Ellis, Blair and Galloway all back.

I cannot see him being dropped paris, but I do worry he may end up on the bench and we lose his amazing energy and work-rate in defence especially.

I also agree that he's been one of our best most weeks in which he has played (and his absence is obvious).

to play in the back-row at NRL level for the years he has, liam's proven that he's smarter than the average bear (which you need to be when you're smaller than 'em).

Hodgo was made of the same stuff. If you're smaller you've gotta be either faster of smarter. Hodgo was a bit of both.

ellery schofield

Post by ellery schofield » Tue 17 Jul, 2012 2:58 am

Juro wrote:The other thing with the total metres, if you take out Heighington's try, where he was put into a yawning hole, how many metres did he make? I was delighted he scored, of course, but just saying that when he has defenders in front of him, he struggles to go forward...
did bell struggle with defenders of does he just choose to limit his metres to 40 per game strategically?

some of you people continue to ignore that heighno does alot of crap work when noone else is interested, onside or in position. the stuff no player gets recognition for, but most don't get crucified like Chris.