Marshall

ImageImageImage
alexaki

Re: Marshall

Post by alexaki » Mon 23 Jul, 2012 11:09 pm

I think it's time benji had a stint at fullback . He has got to be the worst halfback in the comp and with Anasta coming on board sheens doesn't intend for benji to play 6 next year do I say move him to fullback now!

Posted using RoarFEED 2012

reynaldog

Post by reynaldog » Mon 23 Jul, 2012 11:13 pm

Was totally against this at first, but the way Marshall has been going, there's a slight maybe........but, he'd have to firm up his tackling (still haven't seen him tackle around the ankles lately) and he's very suspect under the high ball....apart from broken play and support play, he doesn't have what it takes for a FB

AmericanHistoryX

Post by AmericanHistoryX » Mon 23 Jul, 2012 11:14 pm

cktiger wrote:
AmericanHistoryX wrote:I'm forever greatful to Marshall for the most beautiful flick in history in a NRL grand final & help bring us our first premiership. Raudonikis could not do this & was he as talented as Benji. Benji is a legend forever and a Wests Tigers legend. Yes it hurts to watch him lately but in my life the premiership memory will never be repressed unlike his mistakes. He talks like Cooper Cronk on the footy show but he sure plays like Benji. A gentleman of the game. Glad he's with us.

He can't live forever on past glories -with all the injuries tonight was the night to step up.
He is our go to guy but he failed miserably.
Hard to remember his last outstanding game - maybe he's bulked up too much and just doesn't have the spark anymore.
In a game like tonights you would have expected a dominant exciting performance similar to Bowen.
Where is the real Benji?
Come back please.
CKTiger - what if that is as good as it gets.

Clouds of Dust, Buckets of Blood

"They overcame the impossible by doing the unthinkable"

alex

Post by alex » Mon 23 Jul, 2012 11:27 pm

He can't play that controlling halfback role. No matter how much we try, he just doesn't have it. The Cowboys had so much possession and field position in the second half. Any time we got the ball he'd bomb in on half way for 15m. He really needed to drive in downfield and pin them in the corners. Dumb plays which really kept us out of the game, we had no chance to apply any pressure

shane2801

Post by shane2801 » Mon 23 Jul, 2012 11:31 pm

I'm the biggest basher of Marshall on this board by a mile. I am a "THE" foundation member of the "Benji Marshall Has Always Been The Most Overrated Player" club. Get in line everone else but I do welcome you in...

Having said that I must go into bat for him here. I think he tried hard but like most of the players tonight they ran out of puff. The humidity up there would not have helped. Even the Cowboys struggled and they have aclimatised.
I thought it was a great game and yes Benji is and will always be the most overrated player in the NRL. He did give us a great second half of the 2005 season though.

Adam Blair I am still waiting for yours?????
BLACK & WHITE...DYNAMITE!!!!!

alex

Post by alex » Mon 23 Jul, 2012 11:35 pm

Shane, the weather had nothing to do with it. I was at the game with a jumper on. The fact is he still makes dumb plays and isn't the right guy to control the team. It's not his style, and that's totally okay, because theres a different role for him in the team - he's damaging when he plays off the cuff. But while Sheens try to kid himself that Benji is the person to lead the team around we'll keep seeing inept performances

shane2801

Post by shane2801 » Mon 23 Jul, 2012 11:37 pm

Really Alex? Sorry, I retract my statement about the heat. Ok... I've got nothing...
BLACK & WHITE...DYNAMITE!!!!!

bigsiro

Post by bigsiro » Tue 24 Jul, 2012 12:38 am

Benji has always been an enigma in attack and has always been a crap defender. We have known that for years. It's not new. So because we lose a few games he is suddenly to blame for everything?

And there are calls to actually drop him? WTF? Reactive is an understatement! I am actually sickened by our 'fans' on here.

Yes, he has played below par lately, but Allan Langer, Andrew Johns, Brad Fittler all had runs of extremely poor form if I remember correctly. Even Wally Lewis did. But calls to drop them? Never. And from their own fans? That would be
DISGUSTING AND DISGRACEFUL.

And sure, Benji is not exempt from criticism. But the day he is dropped, retires or leaves the Tigers will be the saddest day in Wests Tigers short history. Even the thought of that happening upsets me.

For those who call on him to be dropped - SHAME ON YOU.
Make Wests Tigers Great Again

tiga4eva

Post by tiga4eva » Tue 24 Jul, 2012 6:46 am

bigsiro wrote:Benji has always been an enigma in attack and has always been a crap defender. We have known that for years. It's not new. So because we lose a few games he is suddenly to blame for everything?

And there are calls to actually drop him? WTF? Reactive is an understatement! I am actually sickened by our 'fans' on here.

Yes, he has played below par lately, but Allan Langer, Andrew Johns, Brad Fittler all had runs of extremely poor form if I remember correctly. Even Wally Lewis did. But calls to drop them? Never. And from their own fans? That would be

And sure, Benji is not exempt from criticism. But the day he is dropped, retires or leaves the Tigers will be the saddest day in Wests Tigers short history. Even the thought of that happening upsets me.

The difference is we shut down Thurston last night so he had a quiet but ok game. When Benji ain't on, he produces utter garbage that the other elite players don't. If we had Wallace or the kid from Souths or DCE at 7 last night we win.

Winnipeg

Post by Winnipeg » Tue 24 Jul, 2012 7:45 am

is he injured? does he have the flu? He seemed to give up with 20 to go, I spied him walking around the field and even the commentators noticed.

drop him? Not sure if it's the right thing to do, and it won't happen anyway.

but does Sheens ever get up him after games like this?

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Tue 24 Jul, 2012 10:05 am

bigsiro wrote:Benji has always been an enigma in attack and has always been a crap defender. We have known that for years. It's not new. So because we lose a few games he is suddenly to blame for everything?

I agree that for the number of times Benji has carried this team, it is wrong to turn on him for a bad match. Last night was certainly a bad one and for whatever reason he struggled not just with execution, he was always gingerly back into the line and they ended up defending him on the wing at the end.

But Benji is arguably one of the most gifted ball players the game has ever seen. To call him over-rated is a slight on how much he has achieved in his career – GF, national captain, golden boot. Some of the tries he has laid on in his time... some of the footwork and passing... you will not see that again in your lifetime.

But unlike the Johns and Lockyer type players, Benji doesn’t have the consistency and big-game calm in execution. He just isn’t that player. He plays what he sees and tends to execute a play regardless of how it unfolds. The pass out the back last night was an example of that.

It’s a tough one though, asking Benji to be both the dynamic unpredictable attacking genius and the solid reliable organiser. It’s like asking Aaron Woods to amble for 200 metres like Civoniceva but then bust holes out wide like Tony Williams.

I don’t recall Lockyer stepping 5 players on a jink to the line or hitting a runaway winger with an audacious flick.

There is only one Benji Marshall and don’t kid yourself that he would be a walk-up starter in any other team in the comp.

We are the Tigers – unpredictable, show-stoppers, heart-attackers, rocks-and-diamonds type of team, personified by Benji.

TIGER

Post by TIGER » Tue 24 Jul, 2012 10:07 am

shane2801 wrote:I'm the biggest basher of Marshall on this board by a mile. I am a "THE" foundation member of the "Benji Marshall Has Always Been The Most Overrated Player" club. Get in line everone else but I do welcome you in...

Having said that I must go into bat for him here. I think he tried hard but like most of the players tonight they ran out of puff. The humidity up there would not have helped. Even the Cowboys struggled and they have aclimatised.
I thought it was a great game and yes Benji is and will always be the most overrated player in the NRL. He did give us a great second half of the 2005 season though.

Adam Blair I am still waiting for yours?????
I lay down a challenge for that title.

Andyvee

Post by Andyvee » Tue 24 Jul, 2012 11:27 am

He has too much on his plate, and too many responsibilities at the moment. He played best when we had a recognised halfback that could take control on occasion. Once we fix the halfback problem, we will fix the Benji one!

bp tiger

Post by bp tiger » Tue 24 Jul, 2012 11:29 am

what a effort from our forwards last night only to have benji dog it on them, i would be dirty on benji if i was a forward in that team they kept the tigers in it hoping benji would pull something out of the bag, only to find he did not want the ball at all in the second 1/2. he has been like this for weeks either pick your game up benji or dont let the door hit u on the arse on the way out.

magpiecol

Post by magpiecol » Tue 24 Jul, 2012 11:40 am

When I first suggested that Marshall play fullback, I was laughed at on this forum, by some people. I think now is the time, or we let him go along with Sheens. He was shocking last night and has been for a few weeks now. Maybe there is something that we do not know about his condition but he is playing like a busted.

willow

Post by willow » Tue 24 Jul, 2012 12:28 pm

He was a spent force after he made that incisive run where he nearly put Reddy in for a try in the corner. After that, he just had nothing left in the tank.

I don't know what's going on at training, but certainly the move to 7, while it may have brought about more Tigers tries from short kicks, has done nothing for the Tigers backline attacking movements, although they showed glimpses last night when they spread the ball...A lack of pace out wide is really hurting too, with Lawrence and Moltzen out, Benji doesn't have anyone who he can throw a bullet like pass to at speed.

I'd like to see the opportunities created if we had a couple of genuine flyers out wide with half a football brain.

hellman

Post by hellman » Tue 24 Jul, 2012 12:40 pm

willow wrote:A lack of pace out wide is really hurting too, with Lawrence and Moltzen out, Benji doesn't have anyone who he can throw a bullet like pass to at speed.
I think the lack of speed is killing us. Ayshford for instance got into decent position a couple of times but doesn't have the pace to go on with it. Ryan is a gun but he lacks pace. Same with Utai. Lawrence has also been out of form.

Benji had his moments last night however he stuffed us up when we had a clear opportunity to get back to even.

We need to fix our backline and quickly. I don't think it would be that hard to start putting some speedsters on the park and to see what happens. Try Grant or the two younger wingers. I don't care if they need to learn how to defend or play in our structure. Lawrence was like that as well.

barra

Post by barra » Tue 24 Jul, 2012 12:57 pm

willow wrote:He was a spent force after he made that incisive run where he nearly put Reddy in for a try in the corner. After that, he just had nothing left in the tank.

I don't know what's going on at training, but certainly the move to 7, while it may have brought about more Tigers tries from short kicks, has done nothing for the Tigers backline attacking movements, although they showed glimpses last night when they spread the ball...A lack of pace out wide is really hurting too, with Lawrence and Moltzen out, Benji doesn't have anyone who he can throw a bullet like pass to at speed.

I'd like to see the opportunities created if we had a couple of genuine flyers out wide with half a football brain.
Yes, it would be something to see some young blokes out there with pace and the ability to run hard for more than 50 mins.

At Benji's age he should have far more in the tank than he does, I just can't work it out either.