Kickoff:
Venue:
Telecast:
willow

Wests Tigers 'to lift against Rabbitohs'

Post by willow » Sat 28 Jul, 2012 7:18 pm

Wests Tigers 'to lift against Rabbitohs'
James MacSmith and Ed Jackson AAP Sat, Jul 28, 2012 - 5:08 PM

Wests Tigers are confident adversity will bring out the best in their injury-hit side as they cling to an NRL top eight spot.

Centre Blake Ayshford says the Tigers believe they can wrest back the momentum that has been a large part of their season, starting with Sunday's match against South Sydney.

Wests suffered five successive losses before winning seven straight. Three losses then followed before a win over Penrith, then last weekends's loss to North Queensland.

Sitting in eighth spot at the beginning of round 21, the Tigers have a battered roster but Ayshford remains upbeat.

"The same thing happened last year," Ayshford said.

"Chris Lawrence and Lote Tuqiri were injured and we stood up and went on a run and won a lot of games in a row and made the semis.

"I think this team plays better when we have a bit of adversity facing us. If we can win games while those guys are out, it will be a statement and we will be in a position to make a charge at the finals and make an impact when we get there."

Lawrence, Tim Moltzen, Curtis Sironen, Ben Murdoch-Masila have joined Keith Galloway, Tuqiri and James Tedesco on the sidelines as the Tigers face a desperate bid to keep their season alive.

On Sunday at ANZ Stadium they face an in-form South Sydney side minus suspended superstar Greg Inglis but nonetheless closing in on their best regular season finish since 1989.

"They have lost a couple of players too, and we still owe them for earlier in the year when we lead by 10 points or so and they came back and beat us in golden point," Ayshford said.

"They are in the top four and that is where we want to be so these are the sort of games we need to win if we want to do that."

willow

Post by willow » Sat 28 Jul, 2012 7:23 pm

Talk is cheap Blake. Time for the Tigers to man up and make a serious statement tomorrow if they're going to be taken seriously at this stage of the season.

bundyboy

Post by bundyboy » Sat 28 Jul, 2012 7:29 pm

Ayshford has been a zombie all year , enough said .

Posted using RoarFEED 2012

Gazman

Post by Gazman » Sat 28 Jul, 2012 7:40 pm

Would love to know why they choose to lift for these must win games when we have so often rolled over in the "ours to win games".Is their mental preparation based on doing things the hard way? These types of statements can be believed if they had that killer instinct, in reality its probably more to keep our faith with fingers crossed.

innsaneink
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by innsaneink » Sat 28 Jul, 2012 8:33 pm

Meh... ''gunna'' articles.

Wests Tigers are confident adversity will bring out the best in their injury-hit side as they cling to an NRL top eight spot.

WESTS Tigers coach Tim Sheens still believes a top-four finish is achievable for his pre-season premiership favourites.

WESTS Tigers star Adam Blair has vowed to be more "careful" with his tackling technique after becoming the first player to be suspended for a leg-pull last week.

Tim Moltzen admits his form and focus were affected by uncertainty surrounding his future with the Wests Tigers and vowed to return to his best after agreeing to a new three-year deal.

The NRL ladder is so congested in the middle that Wests Tigers players are discouraged from looking at their position on the table by coach Tim Sheens.

"GARETH Ellis has no body fat, he has an 'eight pack', will run for 200m and leave six players being taken off on stretchers. He has to be the best forward I've ever played with."

BEAU Ryan knows his priorities in life as an NRL star and television comedian.

As he attempts to find his spot in the Wests Tigers side, rookie five-eighth Curtis Sironen says he'll only be as dominant as he wants to be.

brk53y

Post by brk53y » Sat 28 Jul, 2012 11:12 pm

Yawn. Heard it all before

westTAHger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by westTAHger » Sun 29 Jul, 2012 9:08 am

I really do wish the players would let good performances on the field do the talking.
:sign: once a sprite in black and white.
now I am bold, in black, white and gold

" Hell and heaven, they can wait for you,
So go and do all the things that you want to do ".

From the Stereophonics song " C'est La Vie

PYMBLEPETE

Post by PYMBLEPETE » Sun 29 Jul, 2012 9:27 am

How long into the game will it take for Blake to give away his regular slowing down the play the ball penalty? I nominate the 16th minute. I think he managed two against the Cowboys, so I will also throw in the 27th minute!!

tigersrule4life

Post by tigersrule4life » Sun 29 Jul, 2012 9:29 am

Tiger to win fire up.

tigersrule4life

Post by tigersrule4life » Sun 29 Jul, 2012 9:32 am

Didint we win souths last year with no Lawrence and Tuqiri ??

innsaneink
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by innsaneink » Sun 29 Jul, 2012 9:49 am

We beat NQ up there too last year...means little

Tigerpete

Post by Tigerpete » Sun 29 Jul, 2012 9:56 am

It's funny game these Souths/Tigers clashes. They rarely seem to go to plan as we know all too well. That though is about my only hope for today. Form wise, confidence wise, Souths are well advanced than us. The loss of Ingis and Luke will give us a sniff though and if we play well enough we'll give ourselves an opportunity. Which is all you can ask.

badger

Post by badger » Sun 29 Jul, 2012 10:37 am

Souths are our real boggie team. Seems every time we play them we just find a way of letting them win. Hope we can put this to bed today but sadly cant see it.

Tigerdave
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by Tigerdave » Sun 29 Jul, 2012 12:35 pm

Kinda wish they wouldn't come out with these articles at all

ball main

Post by ball main » Sun 29 Jul, 2012 1:25 pm

innsaneink wrote:Meh... ''gunna'' articles.

WESTS Tigers coach Tim Sheens still believes a top-four finish is achievable for his pre-season premiership favourites.

WESTS Tigers star Adam Blair has vowed to be more "careful" with his tackling technique after becoming the first player to be suspended for a leg-pull last week.

Tim Moltzen admits his form and focus were affected by uncertainty surrounding his future with the Wests Tigers and vowed to return to his best after agreeing to a new three-year deal.

The NRL ladder is so congested in the middle that Wests Tigers players are discouraged from looking at their position on the table by coach Tim Sheens.

"GARETH Ellis has no body fat, he has an 'eight pack', will run for 200m and leave six players being taken off on stretchers. He has to be the best forward I've ever played with."

BEAU Ryan knows his priorities in life as an NRL star and television comedian.

As he attempts to find his spot in the Wests Tigers side, rookie five-eighth Curtis Sironen says he'll only be as dominant as he wants to be.
and I agree that we are still soft up
The middle and that we can't tackle

Gazman

Post by Gazman » Sun 29 Jul, 2012 9:45 pm

Tigerdave wrote:Kinda wish they wouldn't come out with these articles at all
Pardon the pun but who is going to be the next bunny from the team with a brave prediction the run for the finals starts this week? :blah

stryker

Post by stryker » Sun 29 Jul, 2012 9:55 pm

Gazman wrote:
Tigerdave wrote:Kinda wish they wouldn't come out with these articles at all
Pardon the pun but who is going to be the next bunny from the team with a brave prediction the run for the finals starts this week? :blah
You can bet someone will be...these blokes have become professional 'rent-a-quotes' over the past couple of years. Being a Tigers man, even I am sick of hearing them on the news or sports shows. Imagine how other supporters feel. Actually I can answer that question myself. They find it hillarious.

Flippedy
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by Flippedy » Sun 29 Jul, 2012 10:09 pm

I actually heard Ken Sutcliffe say on the sports report tonight that the Tigers still believe they will play a big part in this year's finals, despite the heavy loss to Souths today. Now, I'm all for being positive, let's face it they have to be, but how about backing up these weekly claims with a decent performance once in a while! Otherwise, please stop talking!
Sooner or later, next year has to be this year - Ricksen