Telecast:
willow

Re: Koribete

Post by willow » Sun 29 Jul, 2012 9:35 pm

Incredible journey gets even bigger for flying Fijian Marika Koroibete
By Wayne Cousins

Sunday 29 July 2012 2:05 PM
Incredible journey gets even bigger for flying Fijian Marika Koroibete

Exciting Fijian winger Marika Koroibete will today make his NRL debut at ANZ Stadium – a far cry from the playing fields of Navaiyawa.

The 19-year-old has been promoted to the Wests Tigers NRL side by Head Coach Tim Sheens following some impressive form this season.

A player with blistering speed, Koroibete has had to overcome many obstacles both on and off the field in just his second season with Wests Tigers.

Prior to his arrival, his only experience playing rugby league was in his village of Navaiyawa and at school level.

Koroibete was recommended to Wests Tigers in 2010 by current U20s assistant coach Joel Greig, who first came across his raw talent as coach of the Fijian U19s side.

Wests Tigers Recruitment Manager Warren McDonnell and then Wests Tigers U20s Coach Grant Jones agreed to sign the youngster after witnessing first hand Koroibete’s blistering pace playing for a touring Fijian side against a NSW Cup rep team at Wentworthville.

A softly spoken but polite young man, Koroibete not only had to overcome the huge adjustment of moving from his family and living in Sydney but also adapting to his new Wests Tigers team-mates and the style of football Jones had the team playing.

It didn’t take Koroibete long to quickly become a fan favourite with his rawness and his electrifying speed. By the end of 2011, he had scored 9 tries in 15 matches in his first season in the NYC.

This year, Koroibete has taken another major step, scoring 13 tries in 11 games in the U20s. He started the season in fine style, scoring three tries in two games but a shoulder injury picked up in the win over Manly at Bluetongue Stadium saw him miss four weeks.

His comeback from the shoulder injury was progressing well with the fearless running winger scoring six more tries in as many games.

However Koroibete’s season was halted for a second time when he was suspended for three games for a grapple tackle in the win over Canberra in round 13.

Since then, Koroibete has continued to impress, scoring four more tries in three games, including a hat-trick in the win over the Cowboys last Monday night. His record now stands at 22 tries in 26 games over the past two seasons.

Ironically, Koroibete’s first hat-trick came against today’s opponents South Sydney at ANZ Stadium last season. It has certainly been one massive journey already for this very friendly Fijian!

Marika’s 2012 season
Rd 1: 2 tries vs Cronulla
Rd 2: 1 try v Manly
Rd 3:-6: Did not play due to shoulder injury
Rd 7: 2 tries v Penrith
Rd 8: 1 try v Parramatta
Rd 9: 1 try v Gold Coast
Rd 10: Bye
Rd 11: 1 try v Warriors
Rd 12: 1 try v Cowboys
Rd 13: did not score against Canberra
Rd 14-16: Suspended
Rd 17: Bye
Rd 18: 1 try vs Bulldogs
Rd 19: did not score against Penrith
Rd 20: 3 tries against Cowboys

Tbone

Post by Tbone » Sun 29 Jul, 2012 9:35 pm

Correct Blake. Pass was way behind him. i thought he showed far more x-factor than Simona.

Match wasnt lost on the wings, it was lost in defence up the middle. 47 missed tackles and 10 line breaks conceded! Short ball after short ball lead to line breaks as defenders failed to cover.

cunno

Post by cunno » Sun 29 Jul, 2012 9:39 pm

Hope he gets a few more chances in the top grade, has speed to burn if given the chance, handles the high ball, needs more time to develop his defence but he's not on his own.

Cysquatch

Post by Cysquatch » Sun 29 Jul, 2012 9:40 pm

Had a real good dig

Posted using RoarFEED 2012
by Novocastrian Tiger » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:34 pm
Is it just me, or do alot of posts on this forum end up being like a pee pee measuring contest?

LaT

Post by LaT » Sun 29 Jul, 2012 9:43 pm

This was my first real chance to see him play a full game.

I thought he went well, certainly didn't do anything that would make me believe he was out of his depth.

If people are right, and he is something special, lets give him a proper shot and let him play out the year in 1st grade.
TigPies till I die!

I say, I say I resemble that remark!

pacey

Post by pacey » Sun 29 Jul, 2012 10:07 pm

Reminds me of Uate a little

Demps

Post by Demps » Sun 29 Jul, 2012 10:08 pm

Look like he tried his best, in what was a pretty effortless display from most ( beside a few )
I'm feeling he'll be the first one dropped, accordingly.
Reddy to wing to see the year out unfortunately, shame.
I'd love to see what else this young man is capable of, lets hope Sheens makes the right decision and lets him play on.
#Unbeatable

"I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid" - John Gotti

Wests Tigers Forum's most brilliant mind.

sunshine coast tiger

Post by sunshine coast tiger » Sun 29 Jul, 2012 10:14 pm

I will admit he didn't have his best game today. However for me that 30 metre run in the first half showed a glimpse of what he is capable of. I for one will be spewing if he is replaced by Reddy. Koro will be very good and he adds much needed pace to the side. Our team is very slow compared to others in the NRL. Knowing Sheens Koro will be dropped but for mine I would stick with him for the rest of the year.

dermo

Post by dermo » Sun 29 Jul, 2012 10:20 pm

pacey wrote:Reminds me of Uate a little
Exactly my thoughts, he's big, strong and quick, but his defence and ball handling is a little suspect. He's no Beau at the moment but if he can improve his defence then ill live with a few ball handling errors as long as I get to see him in full flight

alex

Post by alex » Sun 29 Jul, 2012 10:23 pm

That ball he took on our line and then ran for 30m will do great for his confidence. Didn't get to see him do too many kick returns which are his pet play - maybe the Bunnies planned to kick away from him.

Twodogs

Post by Twodogs » Mon 30 Jul, 2012 11:02 am

TigerFlame wrote:Yea he went great, isn't that how everyone is on their debut?
Thats because Sheens coaches it out of them. He needs more than a week to do that!

tiger jim

Post by tiger jim » Mon 30 Jul, 2012 11:17 am

Ithought he went ok for his first game, made a few mistakes no more than the so called first graders have been making all season leave him in for the rest of the season at least we might have some speed on the wings for a change,
give him some room to move and you will see the best of him. And while on the subject blood a couple of others ready for next season because we have no hope of winning the comp with this current roster

Irvine

Post by Irvine » Mon 30 Jul, 2012 11:27 am

Hopefully Marika is given more than one game. Played OK needs to be there again next week maybe playing outside Beau Ryan. Two rookies playing next to each other in him and Simona was not ideal.

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Mon 30 Jul, 2012 11:55 am

dermo wrote:
Exactly my thoughts, he's big, strong and quick, but his defence and ball handling is a little suspect. He's no Beau at the moment but if he can improve his defence then ill live with a few ball handling errors as long as I get to see him in full flight
x3 he even runs similarly.

kh_canada

Post by kh_canada » Mon 30 Jul, 2012 12:01 pm

jirskyr wrote:
dermo wrote:
x3 he even runs similarly.
100% agreed, even with Uate making mistakes. Koro Could be much better than Uate when he is at his age.

The Huth... the Huth... the Huth is on fire

everett

Post by everett » Mon 30 Jul, 2012 12:22 pm

I happy for him to play our the rest of the year on the wing and put Ryan at centre next to him.

His defence was no worse than so called established first graders.

We need to blood these juniors now IMO as season is over.
Living the dream and praying for another premiership

Tigersmurf

Post by Tigersmurf » Mon 30 Jul, 2012 12:31 pm

I am not sure why his defence is getting so many mentions. I did note that he was not in position a few times but it is up to the established players to talk him into position. I did think having him and Simona next to each other was a problem, but thought Simona showed a lot less in defence then Koribete did. I have never been impressed with Simona.

I thought we were getting busted up the middle and letting tries in from dummy half...weren't we?

I think a guy like him could tear Parra to pieces and hope he gets another shot.

Muffstar

Post by Muffstar » Mon 30 Jul, 2012 6:06 pm

Yeah he went well, Phil Gould kept rapping him, saying he is too good for the 20's, so i hope Sheens does keep him. But with the possible return of our dynamic hard running fullback this week, he may have to make way, unless Sheens puts Ryan in the centre and Simona goes back to 20's ?