Pace isn't so bad is it Mr Sheens?

ImageImageImage
sunshine coast tiger

Re: Pace isn't so bad is it Mr Sheens?

Post by sunshine coast tiger » Mon 06 Aug, 2012 9:58 pm

saundo1982 wrote:
milford_magic wrote:
mikey wrote:Ryan and Tuquri have no impact? Put a Pampas on and go back to bed like a good boy Junior.
Very little impact. Both hard working, both take the bombs well, defend well, take a lot of runs, but if you think they are impact players then you are deluded.
Koro was great tonight. But he's got to take this opportunity with both hands work hard for the remainder of the season to hold his spot next year. On tonight performance he deserves but he's got to do it week after week.

Posted using RoarFEED 2012
As i have said in the past once he plays NRL he will be in the team for good. He has the best assest any winger can have and that is pace and plently of it. He will make mistakes but baring injuries he will be the first winger picked for many years to come. Hope they have started work on his new contact as I think his deal runs out at the end of next year.

mikey

Post by mikey » Mon 06 Aug, 2012 10:00 pm

There is no doubt he looks the goods and I hope he does the same for many years. Just don't like the negative slagging of others.

MacDougall

Post by MacDougall » Mon 06 Aug, 2012 10:01 pm

I actually saw him score a try just like that first one he scored in the twenties once taking a Miller midfield crossfield kick on the full and then cutting inside and beating like 8 defenders. Very similar. Not many players can do that.

milford_magic

Post by milford_magic » Mon 06 Aug, 2012 10:09 pm

mikey wrote:There is no doubt he looks the goods and I hope he does the same for many years. Just don't like the negative slagging of others.
Mate you talk about me having balance, try and understand what I am saying. I am saying the likes of Tuquiri and Ryan lack speed, and speed is a wonderful asset which our WHOLE back line lacks.

It doesn't mean there not good players. Ryan is one of the SAFEST wingers in the comp, and by far the safest winger in the club. In that area (catching bombs, work rate, defence), he is a 30x better player than say Koribete. But when it comes down to having half a chance, id much rather see Koribete running on to it than any of the wingers we have had in the last few years (And just before you think I'm slagging, I think they all have good individual characteristics, but pace is not one of them). And at the wests tigers, that type of player is a priority for us.

Had we had a player like Koribete running on to the last play of the 2010 season, we may have another premiership to our name.

milford_magic

Post by milford_magic » Mon 06 Aug, 2012 10:12 pm

MacDougall wrote:I actually saw him score a try just like that first one he scored in the twenties once taking a Miller midfield crossfield kick on the full and then cutting inside and beating like 8 defenders. Very similar. Not many players can do that.
Not many can. Even if they do make mistakes while they are raw, id rather a winger who will take those chances, and create stuff out of nothing compared to wingers like a Mitch Brown, who is just safe, but isn't gonna score a try or make a serious break without someone doing all the work for them.

fergiefurr

Post by fergiefurr » Mon 06 Aug, 2012 10:27 pm

So many times we have had an overlap only for our slow wingers to step Infield and get tackled. Lote, Ryan and Utai have some great qualities but they lack one thing that wingers need: pure speed

I can't remember the last time I saw a tigers winger scream onto a pass down the sideline and run in a straight line to score. Amazing stuff

Posted using RoarFEED 2012

hybrid_tiger

Post by hybrid_tiger » Mon 06 Aug, 2012 10:38 pm

Smeg called it last week. Ryan has had a wonderful year and has put in the hard yards when others have cruised along. But he's not quick enough. We need SPEED out wide, tonight was a perfect example.

Golden

Post by Golden » Mon 06 Aug, 2012 11:03 pm

MacDougall wrote:Marika Koroibete is going to be the greatest winger of all the times.
Lets not get to carried away people said the same about Peni Tagive

MacDougall

Post by MacDougall » Mon 06 Aug, 2012 11:09 pm

I enjoy getting carried away. I don't recall anybody ever saying that about Peni though. Marika >>>>>>>> daylight >>>>>>> Peni.

willow

Post by willow » Tue 07 Aug, 2012 8:09 am

MacDougall wrote:I actually saw him score a try just like that first one he scored in the twenties once taking a Miller midfield crossfield kick on the full and then cutting inside and beating like 8 defenders. Very similar. Not many players can do that.
That was against Penrith, i recall that try and it was a cracker alright.

hellman

Post by hellman » Tue 07 Aug, 2012 8:28 am

milford_magic wrote:speed is a wonderful asset which our WHOLE back line lacks.
hybrid_tiger wrote:Smeg called it last week. Ryan has had a wonderful year and has put in the hard yards when others have cruised along. But he's not quick enough. We need SPEED out wide, tonight was a perfect example.
I think that this is really a key point. We don't have a lot of quick outside backs. Moltzen has speed however he hasn't had a good season. I think he should be at 6 or gone. Ryan is a worry - he has been great this year but his lack of pace is an issue - we can't carry Ryan, Utai, Ayshford and Lote in our backline at the same time because it makes us pedestrian.

I think something like this would work a lot better:-

1. Tedesco/another fullback
2. Koroibete
3. Lawrence
4. Ryan
5. Another winger with pace
6. Moltzen/Sirro
7. Benji

Utai has been great and deserves a spot somewhere - maybe on the bench as a backrower with impact. Maybe you can keep him on the wing however I think then you have to question Ryan's spot in the squad.

The simple fact is that Koroibete showed us what s fast strong winger can add to the side.

smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by smeghead » Tue 07 Aug, 2012 8:41 am

mikey wrote:Ryan and Tuquri have no impact? Put a Pampas on and go back to bed like a good boy Junior.
Why would anyone put of puff pastry to go to bed........?

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Tue 07 Aug, 2012 8:45 am

I was more impressed with his fend than his speed to be honest