The Turning Point

ImageImageImage
User avatar
smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Posts: 9451
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 11:56 pm

The Turning Point

Post by smeghead » Tue 07 Aug, 2012 9:01 am

Last night we were up and down and were not showing alot of commitment.

At that point something happened that changed the game and also showed the best and worst of our team.

A bomb goes up, Moltzen looks at the ball, craps his dacks and decides not to make a play at it, ball bounces to Chimpy Sandow, Marika smashes him.

After this the team lifts in intensity in everything they are doing.

It took a kid running 20 metres infield to put his body on the line to stop a try to wake alot of players up and shows what an utterly useless fullback Tim Moltzen actually is. Play the kid at half where he trained the offseason because he can tackle.

We need someone at the back who will not only put their body on the line under the high ball but actually start following forwards like Woods, Blair & Heighno who get their arms and head through the line so often with nobody running in support
Image


bundyboy
Member
Member
Posts: 299
Joined: Fri 06 Apr, 2012 11:12 pm

Post by bundyboy » Tue 07 Aug, 2012 9:09 am

I agree smeg ! Koroibete was spectacular last night , it was awesome to see a player put his body on the line ! Unlike pea heart moltzen who would have curled up into a ball in sheer fright . Koro was always backing up throughout the game and it showed when he followed up utai to score his third Try! . I just hope sheens docent play him in the back row lol


Posted using RoarFEED 2012

User avatar
hybrid_tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 4564
Joined: Sat 11 Jul, 2009 10:49 am
Location: Latchem Robinson Stand

Post by hybrid_tiger » Tue 07 Aug, 2012 9:10 am

smeghead wrote:Last night we were up and down and were not showing alot of commitment.

At that point something happened that changed the game and also showed the best and worst of our team.

A bomb goes up, Moltzen looks at the ball, craps his dacks and decides not to make a play at it, ball bounces to Chimpy Sandow, Marika smashes him.

After this the team lifts in intensity in everything they are doing.

It took a kid running 20 metres infield to put his body on the line to stop a try to wake alot of players up and shows what an utterly useless fullback Tim Moltzen actually is. Play the kid at half where he trained the offseason because he can tackle.

We need someone at the back who will not only put their body on the line under the high ball but actually start following forwards like Woods, Blair & Heighno who get their arms and head through the line so often with nobody running in support
Yep, that was exactly the turning point. It was a brilliant hit and changed the whole game.

Moltzen is by far the weakest link. Didn't offer any support play and just doesn't put his body on the line.

User avatar
smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Posts: 9451
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 11:56 pm

Post by smeghead » Tue 07 Aug, 2012 9:12 am

He isn't a fullback. He has something in his head that means he wont try for contested high ball.

Wouldn't call him a pea heart, takes all kinds of courage to play this game at any level especially NRL level.

He just has never been a fullback, was talked up all off season by the Sheenius as a half and now he plays him where he isn't that good
Image

User avatar
hybrid_tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 4564
Joined: Sat 11 Jul, 2009 10:49 am
Location: Latchem Robinson Stand

Post by hybrid_tiger » Tue 07 Aug, 2012 9:19 am

smeghead wrote:He isn't a fullback. He has something in his head that means he wont try for contested high ball.

Wouldn't call him a pea heart, takes all kinds of courage to play this game at any level especially NRL level.

He just has never been a fullback, was talked up all off season by the Sheenius as a half and now he plays him where he isn't that good
I don't think many will argue. He is abysmal at fullback.

Personally I think he is a running 6 and a 6 only but that's just me. With Marshall at 7 now, just move him to 6 and be done with it.


bundyboy
Member
Member
Posts: 299
Joined: Fri 06 Apr, 2012 11:12 pm

Post by bundyboy » Tue 07 Aug, 2012 9:20 am

smeghead wrote:He isn't a fullback. He has something in his head that means he wont try for contested high ball.

Wouldn't call him a pea heart, takes all kinds of courage to play this game at any level especially NRL level.

He just has never been a fullback, was talked up all off season by the Sheenius as a half and now he plays him where he isn't that good
So why dont sheens play moltzen at 6 ? If sheens knows he hasn't got the bottle under the high ball ? And the kick returns are weak ! Fulton was good in defense but he's no 5/8 . Sheens frustrates the he'll out of me !


Posted using RoarFEED 2012

aajlewis
Member
Member
Posts: 222
Joined: Sun 22 May, 2011 10:29 am

Post by aajlewis » Tue 07 Aug, 2012 9:21 am

His positioning on sandows 40/20 was horrible, and he still struts about as if he owns the place, only 3 more years


Posted using RoarFEED 2012

User avatar
dermo
Member
Member
Posts: 563
Joined: Sun 20 Feb, 2011 3:02 pm

Post by dermo » Tue 07 Aug, 2012 9:23 am

aajlewis wrote:His positioning on sandows 40/20 was horrible, and he still struts about as if he owns the place, only 3 more years


Posted using RoarFEED 2012
So the fullback standing on the sideline on 4th would've been good positioning? Get real, Marika and Moltz where both in the right positions given the tackle number and Sandow just kicked it perfectly

User avatar
smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Posts: 9451
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 11:56 pm

Post by smeghead » Tue 07 Aug, 2012 9:26 am

Yeah that was an awesome kick, to the narrow side and about a 30/20
Image

User avatar
stryker
Member
Member
Posts: 10825
Joined: Sun 19 Jul, 2009 4:16 pm
Location: Cairns

Post by stryker » Tue 07 Aug, 2012 9:34 am

dermo wrote:It wasn't a bomb it was a chip and if Moltzen makes a play at it then gets a s*** bounce things could've been different.
Yeah it was a chip and Moltz defended it badly however he wasnt the only one. There was at least 3 tigers in the vicinity and none of them had a go at it (they all looked at each other). That play from Koro absolutely turned the game. Sandow scores and Parra could well have gone on with the game. They had their tails in the air at that time.

User avatar
dermo
Member
Member
Posts: 563
Joined: Sun 20 Feb, 2011 3:02 pm

Post by dermo » Tue 07 Aug, 2012 10:29 am

stryker wrote:
dermo wrote:It wasn't a bomb it was a chip and if Moltzen makes a play at it then gets a s*** bounce things could've been different.
Yeah it was a chip and Moltz defended it badly however he wasnt the only one. There was at least 3 tigers in the vicinity and none of them had a go at it (they all looked at each other). That play from Koro absolutely turned the game. Sandow scores and Parra could well have gone on with the game. They had their tails in the air at that time.
Im not denying it wasn't a good play from Koro, it was excellent, im just saying Moltzen did everything right except for smash Sandow as soon as he touched it, it was the right move to not make a big play at the ball but if you hold back then you need to make the tackle which he didn't but in saying that the players in the front line of defence should never have let Sandow get that close to the ball

Callan Park Tiger

Post by Callan Park Tiger » Tue 07 Aug, 2012 10:57 am

smeghead wrote:He isn't a fullback. He has something in his head that means he wont try for contested high ball.

Wouldn't call him a pea heart, takes all kinds of courage to play this game at any level especially NRL level.

He just has never been a fullback, was talked up all off season by the Sheenius as a half and now he plays him where he isn't that good
I agree Smeg ...play him at 5/8 , Fulton back in the 2nd Row and a real fullback like Meaney at No1......but it won't happen


Posted using RoarFEED 2012

Merlot Tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 124
Joined: Tue 20 Mar, 2012 10:22 am

Post by Merlot Tiger » Tue 07 Aug, 2012 11:10 am

No way anyone was going to be able to defend that 40/20 it was about the most perfect kick I've seen. Also, wasn't it Moltzen who pulled off a couple of beautiful one on one tackles on players running straight at him as the last line of defence. One of those being Moi Moi. Credit where it's due. I thought he was one of the better players last night. He tackled well, scored a very good try and ran some good angles to give Marshall options. This from a bloke who hasn't played for a number of weeks.

happy tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 38554
Joined: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:49 pm

Post by happy tiger » Tue 07 Aug, 2012 11:10 am

Koroibete tackle for sure

Stop making excuses for Moltzen Most other fullbacks would of put themselves on the line to at least attempt to either smash Sandow or attack the ball He did neither
Last edited by happy tiger on Tue 07 Aug, 2012 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

bundyboy
Member
Member
Posts: 299
Joined: Fri 06 Apr, 2012 11:12 pm

Post by bundyboy » Tue 07 Aug, 2012 11:14 am

happy tiger wrote:Koroibete tackle for sure

Stop making excuses for Moltzen Most other fullbacks would of put themselves on the line to at least attempt to either smash Sandow of attack the ball He did neither
Well said happy ! Moltzens only credit is that he is good in broken play when we have good go forward ! Three more years ??????


Posted using RoarFEED 2012

The Tooth
Member
Member
Posts: 600
Joined: Tue 18 Aug, 2009 12:30 pm

Post by The Tooth » Tue 07 Aug, 2012 11:17 am

Koro's hit was definately the turning point. A bit tough on Moltzen, Sandow got a good bounce and tapped it over Moltzen. Moltzen wasn't in a position to catch the ball. If he tackles Sandow they get a penalty for being tackled without the ball. Moltzen could have blocked his run though.

I agree Moltzens best poition is as a running 6 and whilst Ryan is a safer fullback in defence, I dont think anybody matches Moltzen in attack from fullback. He has an understanding with benji that no other fullback option has shown and that ball playing ability to chime into the backline set plays. We will see plenty of it it the coming weeks. This is the main reason I think Sheens will persist with Moltzen at 1. He definatley needs to improve his support play up the middle though.

User avatar
smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Posts: 9451
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 11:56 pm

Post by smeghead » Tue 07 Aug, 2012 11:18 am

Supporting anyone else as well as Benji would be a nice start
Image

User avatar
willow
Member
Member
Posts: 31944
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 9:28 pm
Location: Perth

Post by willow » Tue 07 Aug, 2012 11:27 am

Agree with most posts in this thread. The Tigers just need to tweak a couple of positions to achieve an overall better balance to the side. Moltzen as stated by many, is not a top shelf fullback. He can tackle, he's dangerous in broken field play and can hit a hole - when he's running off Benji. He's never lurking around the ruck like a top fullback does.

Tedesco knows how to support the forwards through the middle, Manaia Rudolph is another who averages around 30 support plays per game. Moltzen doesn't get near them in this regard and it makes the Tigers a less potent attacking outfit when there are forwards who have an offload in their game (Heighno, Woods, Blair) but rarely have anyone sniffing around to burst onto an offload.

Shift Tim to 6 and I think we'll see an overall improvement in the Tigers backline. As for fullback, well Ryan puts his body on the line and is pretty solid under the higball. He lacks the explosive pace to be a dynamic fullback, but he is solid back there. Tim Simona and Shaun Meaney are other options.

Post Reply