Dragons burn off Hornby cloud after Sheens jibe

ImageImageImage
willow

Post by willow » Sat 11 Aug, 2012 6:17 am

August 11, 2012
Sam Hall

ST GEORGE ILLAWARRA officials have doused speculation Ben Hornby will miss tonight's important clash with Wests Tigers because of injury, declaring the veteran halfback a definite starter.

Tigers coach Tim Sheens ignited uncertainty over Hornby's fitness at a press conference in Sydney yesterday, telling reporters in an unprovoked response: ''I've heard a number of things that Hornby is possibly injured and that [Jamie] Soward may be used [instead].''

But Dragons officials said the captain was unhindered at training this week, including yesterday's closed session at Wollongong, and would be fit to play. The Hornby speculation has added another dimension of uncertainty over who will form the Dragons' halves pairing tonight.

Nathan Fien has been named as starting No.6 alongside Hornby while Soward returns from his one-week foray in NSW Cup to make up a four-man bench following confirmation Josh Miller would miss the game with concussion.

However, given Soward's lack of utility value, it's expected the former NSW pivot will start at five-eighth.

''I can't predict what they are going to do to any great degree,'' Sheens said. ''We will just adjust to that if and when he starts or when he comes on. Our main effort at the moment is to focus on our game. I'm not worrying about what happens. Jamie is a key player with their kicking game.''

The Tigers will rely on makeshift No.6 Liam Fulton to stick to defensive strengths for the match, while counting on the proven formula of Robbie Farah, Benji Marshall and Tim Moltzen in attack. A horror injury list forced Sheens to opt for Fulton at five-eighth against Parramatta last Monday - the eighth playmaking option for the Tigers this season.

''Liam did a good job as a running 13-type six. That's all we expect this week,'' Sheens said. ''Robbie Farah, Benji Marshall and Tim Moltzen, who is a ball-playing [number] one, becomes a very important factor in our spine.

''Liam is a runner, and that's the best part of his game, so I won't take that away. Our game plan will hopefully work a little better this week with him playing his second game there for us.

''I was pretty happy with his efforts last week. He did his job but the main stars were Farah and Marshall, and Tim Moltzen contributed to that as well.''

Miller, meanwhile, is expected to return next week. The 29-year-old reignited debate over the game's clouded concussion laws when trainers attempted to return him to the field during last week's 26-10 loss to the Roosters.

The NRL has not enforced a sanction on when concussed players can return to the field, leaving it to the discretion of club doctors and in-house cognitive assessments.

In sports such as boxing, however, a concussed fighter must wait 28 days before undertaking their next bout.

''Josh Miller has failed to progress through our structured clinical cognitive assessment, and will not be fit to play this week against Wests Tigers,'' Dragons performance director Andrew Gray said.

''He will undergo further neuropsychological testing in the lead-up to next week's game against the North Queensland Cowboys.''

LARDS

Post by LARDS » Sat 11 Aug, 2012 7:45 am

Wheres the "Jibe"?

tigersrule4life

Post by tigersrule4life » Sat 11 Aug, 2012 8:18 am

Wait untill we end there season tonight with a smashing fire up tigersssssss.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sat 11 Aug, 2012 8:23 am

Foes are users which will be ignored by default. Posts by these users will not be fully visible. Personal messages from foes are still permitted. Please note that you cannot ignore moderators or administrators.
First time for everything.
I thoroughly recommend this.

Tigerpete

Post by Tigerpete » Sat 11 Aug, 2012 9:25 am

Don't know if it's only me but i would rather Soward start. Whilst he does add better direction for his side, he's predictable and easily contained. His kicking game is what hurts anyone. He runs barely never and spends more time taking shots at goal then playing like a 5/8 should. Fien at least has a go, gets in your face and is more unpredictable and on his day a danger.

1/4 chicken,chips

Post by 1/4 chicken,chips » Sat 11 Aug, 2012 9:32 am

Soward will start or will play little time imo . H e isnt an impact player so its just a waste having him on the bench.Fien is way past his use by date ,ill be happy to see him start.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sat 11 Aug, 2012 10:30 am

Ben Hornby has to be in the top 5 as far as average first graders go over the last decade

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Sat 11 Aug, 2012 10:33 am

This game is getting so much media hype,you would think it was the clash of the season rather than the clash of two teams that are just a shadow of where they were last year and the year before. Manly set the bench mark for hard defense last night mixed with some attacking skill and we are not on the same page.

Post by 851 » Sat 11 Aug, 2012 11:56 am

willow wrote:Dragons burn off Hornby cloud after Sheens jibe
August 11, 2012
Sam Hall

ST GEORGE ILLAWARRA officials have doused speculation Ben Hornby will miss tonight's important clash with Wests Tigers because of injury, declaring the veteran halfback a definite starter.

Tigers coach Tim Sheens ignited uncertainty over Hornby's fitness at a press conference in Sydney yesterday, telling reporters in an unprovoked response: ''I've heard a number of things that Hornby is possibly injured and that [Jamie] Soward may be used [instead].''

But Dragons officials said the captain was unhindered at training this week, including yesterday's closed session at Wollongong, and would be fit to play. The Hornby speculation has added another dimension of uncertainty over who will form the Dragons' halves pairing tonight.

Nathan Fien has been named as starting No.6 alongside Hornby while Soward returns from his one-week foray in NSW Cup to make up a four-man bench following confirmation Josh Miller would miss the game with concussion.

However, given Soward's lack of utility value, it's expected the former NSW pivot will start at five-eighth.

''I can't predict what they are going to do to any great degree,'' Sheens said. ''We will just adjust to that if and when he starts or when he comes on. Our main effort at the moment is to focus on our game. I'm not worrying about what happens. Jamie is a key player with their kicking game.''

The Tigers will rely on makeshift No.6 Liam Fulton to stick to defensive strengths for the match, while counting on the proven formula of Robbie Farah, Benji Marshall and Tim Moltzen in attack. A horror injury list forced Sheens to opt for Fulton at five-eighth against Parramatta last Monday - the eighth playmaking option for the Tigers this season.
''Liam did a good job as a running 13-type six. That's all we expect this week,'' Sheens said. ''Robbie Farah, Benji Marshall and Tim Moltzen, who is a ball-playing [number] one, becomes a very important factor in our spine.

''Liam is a runner, and that's the best part of his game, so I won't take that away. Our game plan will hopefully work a little better this week with him playing his second game there for us.

''I was pretty happy with his efforts last week. He did his job but the main stars were Farah and Marshall, and Tim Moltzen contributed to that as well.''

Miller, meanwhile, is expected to return next week. The 29-year-old reignited debate over the game's clouded concussion laws when trainers attempted to return him to the field during last week's 26-10 loss to the Roosters.

The NRL has not enforced a sanction on when concussed players can return to the field, leaving it to the discretion of club doctors and in-house cognitive assessments.

In sports such as boxing, however, a concussed fighter must wait 28 days before undertaking their next bout.

''Josh Miller has failed to progress through our structured clinical cognitive assessment, and will not be fit to play this week against Wests Tigers,'' Dragons performance director Andrew Gray said.

''He will undergo further neuropsychological testing in the lead-up to next week's game against the North Queensland Cowboys.''
What a complete load of Sheens bull,he has Miller,Chisolm,Humble and Moltzen who can play at 7 with Benji at 6,stop treating us like fools Tim,I am over it. :evil:
Go hard or go home

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sat 11 Aug, 2012 12:40 pm

Ok injuries in the halves, Siro.......am i missing anybody else?

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Sat 11 Aug, 2012 1:43 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:Ben Hornby has to be in the top 5 as far as average first graders go over the last decade
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that.
#penaltyTigers

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

hybrid_tiger

Post by hybrid_tiger » Sat 11 Aug, 2012 2:48 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:Ok injuries in the halves, Siro.......am i missing anybody else?
Nobody else.

More excuses that get swallowed up by the pathetic media.

Flippedy

Post by Flippedy » Sat 11 Aug, 2012 3:21 pm

LARDS wrote:Wheres the "Jibe"?
I was wondering the same thing! When I read the headline I thought "Oh no, here we go, Sheens is having a dig that will fire the Dragons up", but it was absolutely nothing. Fair dinkum, these writers should be sued for making stuff up and misleading the public.
Sooner or later, next year has to be this year - Ricksen