I owe it to my team to step up - Benji Marshall

ImageImageImage
willow

I owe it to my team to step up - Benji Marshall

Post by willow » Sun 26 Aug, 2012 6:45 am

I owe it to my team to step up
August 26, 2012
Benji Marshall

THIS is probably the most important match of the season so far for the club - but definitely the most important for me.

I feel like I owe it to the team and myself to produce a good performance. With Robbie Farah out, I need to put my mark on the team.

I feel like I've started to find a bit of form, but I'm still a little inconsistent. That needs to change against the Roosters today, because this is another early semi-final for us - we're going into this game thinking that we need to win no matter what.

I really believe we are improving. We learnt a lot about ourselves against the Bulldogs last round. We can match it with them and we can take a lot of confidence out of that. The Bulldogs are on top of the competition ladder, and have been the form team over the past 12 or 13 weeks, and probably for most of the year. It just goes to show that we can match it with the top teams.

The challenge for us will be playing against a team that is not in the top eight. That can be just as difficult at this time of year.

The Roosters have nothing to lose, and when a team has nothing to lose, they can throw the ball around a bit and have success.

We're very wary. They've got a big forward pack, and if they get some momentum through the middle, they have good offloaders in their team, while halfback Mitchell Pearce and fullback Anthony Minichiello are dangerous players.

They're a tough prospect. I thought they would have been in the top eight at this stage, but the season hasn't panned out as they would have liked.

But I know the danger they pose. Back in 2009, the Bulldogs needed to beat us to win the minor premiership. We were already out of the race for the finals, so we had nothing to lose, we threw the ball around, and we ended up hammering them. We need to guard against that.

We also need to make sure we do not get drawn into playing that sort of game. When we go set for set with other teams, it puts us in a better position than when we try and score from our own half or come up with low-percentage plays.

We've improved dramatically since we focused on grinding out the wins. If we need to throw the ball around we can, but this competition has shown that the team that wins the battle for possession wins the game. When we have done that we have won games.

Of course, it will not be easy without Robbie. We were just starting to build a good combination, along with Liam Fulton at five-eighth. Tim Moltzen will be five-eighth today, to give us another kicking option, and that can also be good for us. He can take a bit of pressure off me, when it comes to the kicking and organising.

He's played in the halves before and he can handle it. The key is, in the past, he was halfback and had to do all the organising, but now, he is five-eighth and can sit back and wait for the shifts.

A special mention for Chris Heighington, who is playing his 200th match for Wests Tigers. He's been at the club as long as I have. He's one of the best blokes in the team and one of my best mates. He's the heart and soul of our team. Everyone respects him and enjoys his company.

He's one of the best players I've ever played with - the way he turns up every week is inspirational. And his form over the past eight weeks has been better than most of the forwards in the competition. I'm honoured to play in his 200th.

I'm not sure whether other players are motivated by those milestones, but I'll certainly be rising to the occasion for him. I want to make today's game a memorable one for him, and I want to make the semis.

kh_canada

Post by kh_canada » Sun 26 Aug, 2012 8:24 am

I hope the whole team is inspired by those milestones.
Great article, I hope Benji has a good game along with Moltz in the halves.
Good luck boys and congrats Chris on 200

Posted using RoarFEED 2012
The Huth... the Huth... the Huth is on fire

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sun 26 Aug, 2012 9:15 am

Half the time he always talks about himself singularly.....apart from the team, then he'll talk about the team as a whole.

Its much like he plays.

smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by smeghead » Sun 26 Aug, 2012 9:27 am

Trying to do it yourself always fails.

Hoping for a good team perfrmance built around attitude and defence

bbobb

Post by bbobb » Sun 26 Aug, 2012 9:30 am

In all honesty - I worry when Benji talks like this. I think he tends to put pressure on himself and overplay his hand. That leads to either mistakes or our attack becoming predictable.

I think the real key to the game is Mr.Moltzen. He has always wanted to play 6 and now he has the chance but he needs to be a viable alternative to Benji and not a passenger as he was earlier in the year when playing 7.

The other influencing factor will be Iosefa and both the amount of punch he can give us from dummy half and limiting his missed tackles.

BrissieTiger67

Post by BrissieTiger67 » Sun 26 Aug, 2012 9:36 am

I really hope benji puts in a big performance today and that moltzen steps up. The game and the season is really in the hands of how they play. Lets see if they can try match farahs creation of repeat sets!!!!

Hopefully one of our forwards can take mini's head off as well.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sun 26 Aug, 2012 10:18 am

bbobb wrote:In all honesty - I worry when Benji talks like this. I think he tends to put pressure on himself and overplay his hand. That leads to either mistakes or our attack becoming predictable.

I think the real key to the game is Mr.Moltzen. He has always wanted to play 6 and now he has the chance but he needs to be a viable alternative to Benji and not a passenger as he was earlier in the year when playing 7.

The other influencing factor will be Iosefa and both the amount of punch he can give us from dummy half and limiting his missed tackles.
I agree bbobb He really needs to relax and let things unfold in front of him instead of preempting what could happen

Really hope to see him run the ball early which should help create things out wide for our backline later in the game

tw33k

Post by tw33k » Sun 26 Aug, 2012 10:35 am

happy tiger wrote: I agree bbobb He really needs to relax and let things unfold in front of him instead of preempting what could happen

Really hope to see him run the ball early which should help create things out wide for our backline later in the game
This. He needs to take the line on and play straight. Last week we opened the dogs up thru the middle and we can do the same today. Moltzen needs to be on Benji's hip ready for a quick inside ball straight thru the middle of the ruck.

Flippedy

Post by Flippedy » Sun 26 Aug, 2012 12:37 pm

Then just bloody do it!!!
Sooner or later, next year has to be this year - Ricksen

willow

Post by willow » Sun 26 Aug, 2012 1:40 pm

Just need the whole side to aim up today. Last time out there was no line speed in defence whatsoever. Need to change that from the get go and let the Roosters forwards know that they won't be walking through the Tigers defence like last time.

kh_canada

Post by kh_canada » Sun 26 Aug, 2012 1:59 pm

We definitely need a team effort, support plays especially around the ruck and out of scrums.

The Huth... the Huth... the Huth is on fire

tigertown

Post by tigertown » Sun 26 Aug, 2012 2:53 pm

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahaha after watching the 1 st half that's the funniest title I've seen.

seijai

Post by seijai » Sun 26 Aug, 2012 6:10 pm

Perhaps he owes it to the team to step down

alexaki

Post by alexaki » Sun 26 Aug, 2012 6:12 pm

It's time the tigers players made their decision media or football !!!! Benji included

Jazza

Post by Jazza » Sun 26 Aug, 2012 6:46 pm

This is why I never read or take any notice of what the players and coach say in the media, because it all means diddly squat!
Gee its grouse at hardware house!

Frank the tank

Post by Frank the tank » Sun 26 Aug, 2012 6:55 pm

Pointless words.

PFFFFFFFFFT, LIKE SO MUCH FART GAS.
I'm not a complete idiot.............there are some pieces missing!

Post by 851 » Sun 26 Aug, 2012 6:58 pm

Sack Sheens now,put Benji at 6,and every other player in their right spot and we are looking better.
Go hard or go home

westTAHger

Post by westTAHger » Sun 26 Aug, 2012 7:22 pm

he did step up and put Jared Warera Hargraves on his back. :roll:
a player with so much potential and natural ability, has had a very up and down season.
which in all honesty is just sad to watch. :o
hopefully 2013, he runs the ball, has alot of pressure of him, so he can get his mojo back.
Basil, our rescue dog, is wondering when wests tigers will win 25 - 18 :D