From Premiership Favourites to this...

ImageImageImage
WelcometotheJungle

From Premiership Favourites to this...

Post by WelcometotheJungle » Wed 29 Aug, 2012 4:51 pm

Where has it all gone wrong?

Here we all our hoping for other teams to lose just so we make the finals, first having to beat the Storm.
We have had a lot of injuries but what team hasn't?
Majority of our squad are rep players, which is another reason for no excuse.

I just don't understand what has happened this year. Whatever happens this Saturday night, I know I will be back next year on the bumpy trip that is supporting the Wests Tigers.

Go the Tigers and thank you Gareth!!

Posted using RoarFEED 2012

westTAHger

Post by westTAHger » Wed 29 Aug, 2012 5:05 pm

embarrassment sums it up.
nothing more, nothing less.
:sign: once a sprite in black and white.
now I am bold, in black, white and gold

" Hell and heaven, they can wait for you,
So go and do all the things that you want to do ".

From the Stereophonics song " C'est La Vie

kh_canada

Post by kh_canada » Wed 29 Aug, 2012 5:13 pm

As frustrating as it is being a Wests Tigers supporter, I will be there next year :sign:
I mean what team hasn't gone through this in the past couple years?
Exceptions to Melbourne, Manly, Broncos etc. but teams like Parra, Penrith, Canberra are always suffering year after year. We are lucky to get away with one premiership and 2 finals appearances in the past 10 years.
The Huth... the Huth... the Huth is on fire

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Wed 29 Aug, 2012 5:21 pm

Weak

tiga4eva

Post by tiga4eva » Wed 29 Aug, 2012 5:27 pm

Moltz92 wrote:As frustrating as it is being a Wests Tigers supporter, I will be there next year
I mean what team hasn't gone through this in the past couple years?
Exceptions to Melbourne, Manly, Broncos etc. but teams like Parra, Penrith, Canberra are always suffering year after year. We are lucky to get away with one premiership and 2 finals appearances in the past 10 years.
If you struggle financially and have a weak squad thats acceptable. But we have underachieved since 05, plain and simple.

Posted using RoarFEED 2012

Tiger Watto

Post by Tiger Watto » Wed 29 Aug, 2012 5:36 pm

We should never of been Premiership Favourites... When I saw us on the first line of betting, I laughed my head off.

Like, how does a team with no Halfback and as many structure changes in the Forwards be Premiership Favourites... The whole thing was a gee up, surely???

Lets hope things go our way this weekend and we limp into the Finals... A spot in the Top 8 is a pass mark. As far as I'm concerned, anywhere between 9th to 16th is the same result.= Wooden Spoon!
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

Flippedy

Post by Flippedy » Wed 29 Aug, 2012 5:49 pm

We just fail to play as a team most weeks. Such a far cry from '05 when the support play, structure and speed was phenomenal. Sheens just can't seem to get them to that level again or perhaps the current players are too individualistic and find it difficult to play as a cohesive unit - who knows?
Sooner or later, next year has to be this year - Ricksen

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Wed 29 Aug, 2012 11:01 pm

Tiger Watto wrote:We should never of been Premiership Favourites... When I saw us on the first line of betting, I laughed my head off.

Like, how does a team with no Halfback and as many structure changes in the Forwards be Premiership Favourites... The whole thing was a gee up, surely???

Lets hope things go our way this weekend and we limp into the Finals... A spot in the Top 8 is a pass mark. As far as I'm concerned, anywhere between 9th to 16th is the same result.= Wooden Spoon!

So right--no no7,down on frontrow strenght and a young kid at no1 their is no way we should have been any where near top of the betting board. In saying that a top 5 finish should have been achieved and it looks like we are going to fail big time and in my humble opion things will not be much better next year

tiger pom

Post by tiger pom » Thu 30 Aug, 2012 12:40 am

I must admit i was very optimistic at the start of the year and although the evidence told me differently with each passing week i still had hope that we would eventually play to our true potential.the fact is despite injuries and any other excuse put forward we have vastly underperformed and dont deserve a top 8 finish.

Tigerdave

Post by Tigerdave » Thu 30 Aug, 2012 3:12 pm

to be fair, I think most were pretty confused about the betting and installing us as favourites, it made no sense given losing our halfback and that the fullback spot wasn't settled.

Tigerpete

Post by Tigerpete » Thu 30 Aug, 2012 3:29 pm

Yeah i for one never bought in to the premiership favorite tag. However i did think the top 4 was a very good chance and top 6 a safe bet. To be fair a lot has a gone wrong. But in fairness too, we've made some mistakes along the way. Without blaming anyone or anything i put this season down to the following:

Injuries - Haven't been too kind to us. Have failed to put a full side on the park all season long.

Injury replacements - Given that this is a squad Sheens has had ample time to put together, this one surprises me. When some players have been injured Sheens has failed to replace them adequately. Tom Humble has barely been used, given the opportunities he could've had. Same with Iosefa to a lesser extent. He was bought in to cover Farah yet it's clear Sheens would prefer to use Fulton there for his defense. My question here is, was the simply just poor recruitment by the club or players failing to find form??

Squad reshuffles - This one's a big one. Inconsistency takes on many forms in terms of causes. Constant reshuffles and an unsettled line up are massive in sport. Teams need continuity, routine brings a more streamlined product. We've failed here big time. There's not really many excuses for having as many different halves combinations as we've had this year. Sheens really hasn't utilized his squad as well as he could've.

Player form - My last topic. We've had too many players out of form this season. Ayshford has never really got going, Marshall was well down for long periods and then obviously we've got Blair likewise. Tuqiri and Lawrence have not been helped by the huge chunks of football they've missed in the past two years. In fact, you could only really label Woods, Farah, Fulton and Ryan as the only guys to really excel beyond expectation this season.

kh_canada

Post by kh_canada » Thu 30 Aug, 2012 3:39 pm

Well said TP, All of this combined has resulted in this year. I think we would have been a great shot if players were dropped accordingly, and used in position accordingly, the shuffling has been the worst.
I think next year we definitely wont be tipped for favourites or even top 4. But I think we will have a shot next year if the shuffling stops and players play in position.
The Huth... the Huth... the Huth is on fire

LARDS

Post by LARDS » Thu 30 Aug, 2012 3:57 pm

Tigerpete wrote:Yeah i for one never bought in to the premiership favorite tag. However i did think the top 4 was a very good chance and top 6 a safe bet. To be fair a lot has a gone wrong. But in fairness too, we've made some mistakes along the way. Without blaming anyone or anything i put this season down to the following:

Injuries - Haven't been too kind to us. Have failed to put a full side on the park all season long.

Injury replacements - Given that this is a squad Sheens has had ample time to put together, this one surprises me. When some players have been injured Sheens has failed to replace them adequately. Tom Humble has barely been used, given the opportunities he could've had. Same with Iosefa to a lesser extent. He was bought in to cover Farah yet it's clear Sheens would prefer to use Fulton there for his defense. My question here is, was the simply just poor recruitment by the club or players failing to find form??

Squad reshuffles - This one's a big one. Inconsistency takes on many forms in terms of causes. Constant reshuffles and an unsettled line up are massive in sport. Teams need continuity, routine brings a more streamlined product. We've failed here big time. There's not really many excuses for having as many different halves combinations as we've had this year. Sheens really hasn't utilized his squad as well as he could've.

Player form - My last topic. We've had too many players out of form this season. Ayshford has never really got going, Marshall was well down for long periods and then obviously we've got Blair likewise. Tuqiri and Lawrence have not been helped by the huge chunks of football they've missed in the past two years. In fact, you could only really label Woods, Farah, Fulton and Ryan as the only guys to really excel beyond expectation this season.
You can add bad luck for a couple of games (like the bulldogs match).
All we needed was one more win and we'd be in the mix.
But we can't blame anything now , after the way they played last week.
But , taking into account all these factors, we still have under acheived.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Thu 30 Aug, 2012 4:28 pm

Tigerpete wrote:Yeah i for one never bought in to the premiership favorite tag. However i did think the top 4 was a very good chance and top 6 a safe bet. To be fair a lot has a gone wrong. But in fairness too, we've made some mistakes along the way. Without blaming anyone or anything i put this season down to the following:

Mate Manly have had probably bigger issues than us for most the season injury wise We need to stop making excuses

stryker

Post by stryker » Thu 30 Aug, 2012 4:51 pm

...and to add to that Happy, Manly also had to contend with many internal off field disruptions as well which saw their coach sacked and him threatening to take 3 or 4 of their superstars with him. After all of that plus the injuries you mentioned, they have still managed to put in a great season which currently sees them as a real title chance.

Snodgrass

Post by Snodgrass » Thu 30 Aug, 2012 6:10 pm

Big problem next year is of course the loss of Ellis. And if Blair continues to play with such a skinny workload then we'll need to find another Fulton clone just to mop up around the guts. If Anasta plays 13 that problem will become even more apparent. Very important that Sironen stays fit next year ( of course it'd be great if everyone stays fit) and that he and Benji can settle into a familiar combo. Love to see Tedesco back with no repercussions and surely Ayshford can't be as casual as he was this season.
If we get a better go with injuries, and some of the younger guys mature a little and Blair lifts just a tad then we'll be in the mix ... However without Ellis I think a genuine premiership tilt may be beyond us ... But I'd love to be proved wrong
. Please Note ... The somewhat garbled opinion reproduced above is not the work of former Western Suburbs, Newtown and Parramatta second rower Warren Snodgrass.

stryker

Post by stryker » Thu 30 Aug, 2012 9:58 pm

We have been without Ellis all year. Even when he wasnt injured he wasnt performing as we know he can. I would say this season is a very good indication of what is to come next year.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Thu 30 Aug, 2012 10:20 pm

Our backrow is way too small