NSW eating their own.

Spud Murphy
Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 58 times

Re: NSW eating their own.

Unread post by Spud Murphy » Fri 21 Jul, 2017 10:20 pm

yeti wrote:
Fri 21 Jul, 2017 7:21 am
Can't really argue with Stryker on this one, unfortunately. The proof is there for all to see. Not sure how to change the culture - an even bigger job than it is with the Tigers.
Queensland have it, the All Blacks have it - an unforgiving will to win. The Wallabies don't and the Blues don't.
Not sure where we go from here to be honest. It's not like at the Tigers where you can purchase a dozen players of the right sort of mentality. The blokes who play for NSW have to be the best footballers as well as having the right attitude. They don't always coincide unfortunately.
NSW have no pride. Don't ask me why, it's just the way it is. You look at most interstate sporting comps, the teams or athletes from NSW never really show any great passion for their state or whatever. No one says "I'm a proud New South Welshman" like they would if they were from QLD. Queenslanders and Victorians, on the other hand, are avid in their approach to competition. I don't know why, it's a cultural thing. Perhaps it's because NSW have historically been known as the premier state, with Sydney as the celebrated city, and the other states are always trying to show up their 'big brother'. In any case, I just don't think that sporting achievements are that important to the people of New South Wales.

jirskyr
Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 89 times

Unread post by jirskyr » Fri 21 Jul, 2017 10:49 pm

stryker wrote:
Fri 21 Jul, 2017 6:58 pm

That is a lot of typing to say absolutely nothing. Ive always thought you to be an utter dork who just happened across the game, not unlike that idiot on fox sports who tries to predict winners with his algorithms. You are no football man thats for sure so go back to your stats and super analyse everything with numbers without ever rteally watching the game properly. You are as bad as fat boy Geo when it comes to origin. You just do not understand what it is and never will.
FTR I was not gloating or offering advice at all, I have been in NSW the past 6 days and am shocked at the way your media and ex 'guru' players are behaving. Gus saying that he doesnt want any Panthers playing origin because of some mysterious 'bad culture' is ludicrous and smacks of sour grapes and arrogance. If NSW won the series he would be shouting the loudest of all that the culture had evolved and thats what won the day. Joey Johns popping veins but not prepared to have a go himself smacks of cowardice. I believe part of the problem rests right there. You've said nothing to change my mind.
Blaming the QLD spine for the loss is the easy way out. If our forwards hadnt stepped up the stars would not have shone, just as they didnt in game 1. The player of the series was a winger for christs sakes! The big 4 were great, but you dont win origins without all 17 having a red hot go.
Hahahah thanks for the laugh mate, you are ever reliable. Now you are telling me who I am and what I am like, from the comfort and anonymity of your study or bedroom or wherever you barrage people from. It's probably a hut or cave somewhere?

And please enlighten me on what a "football man" is, I can't wait to hear your next sermon.

Really pleased to see the word "dork" get a run!

Nelson
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 45 times

Unread post by Nelson » Fri 21 Jul, 2017 11:05 pm

stryker wrote:
Fri 21 Jul, 2017 6:58 pm

That is a lot of typing to say absolutely nothing. Ive always thought you to be an utter dork who just happened across the game, not unlike that idiot on fox sports who tries to predict winners with his algorithms. You are no football man thats for sure so go back to your stats and super analyse everything with numbers without ever rteally watching the game properly. You are as bad as fat boy Geo when it comes to origin. You just do not understand what it is and never will.
FTR I was not gloating or offering advice at all, I have been in NSW the past 6 days and am shocked at the way your media and ex 'guru' players are behaving. Gus saying that he doesnt want any Panthers playing origin because of some mysterious 'bad culture' is ludicrous and smacks of sour grapes and arrogance. If NSW won the series he would be shouting the loudest of all that the culture had evolved and thats what won the day. Joey Johns popping veins but not prepared to have a go himself smacks of cowardice. I believe part of the problem rests right there. You've said nothing to change my mind.
Blaming the QLD spine for the loss is the easy way out. If our forwards hadnt stepped up the stars would not have shone, just as they didnt in game 1. The player of the series was a winger for christs sakes! The big 4 were great, but you dont win origins without all 17 having a red hot go.
Typical stryker: hard in internet talk yet soft in erectile function.

Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 133 times
Been liked: 210 times

Unread post by Geo. » Sat 22 Jul, 2017 7:09 am

I'm not fat..I'm cuddly..
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

NT Tiger
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 12 times

Unread post by NT Tiger » Sat 22 Jul, 2017 7:45 am

I don't really care who wins. Watching the aftermath of this years comp, I have to agree with Stryker's posts.

quote stryker: "Gus saying that he doesnt want any Panthers playing origin because of some mysterious 'bad culture' is ludicrous and smacks of sour grapes and arrogance. If NSW won the series he would be shouting the loudest of all that the culture had evolved and thats what won the day. Joey Johns popping veins but not prepared to have a go himself smacks of cowardice. I believe part of the problem rests right there."

If you're not prepared to stand up and have a go, STF up! On that basis Daley should get another go next year. At least he has the balls to stand up, take on a losing side, and set the example. The blues side should take note of their coach, passion and determination. As for Johns, he should keep his blubbering to himself.
"Quality Stupidity"

Fade To Black
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 42 times

Unread post by Fade To Black » Mon 31 Jul, 2017 11:25 pm

stryker wrote:
Thu 20 Jul, 2017 11:04 pm
They picked a strong side and easily won game 1 = new dynasty created, its our turn for domination.

They started strongly but faded in game 2 to narrowly lose = missed opportunity, we'll get them in game 3 as we have the better team.

They get embarrassed in game 3, utterly outplayed to lose another series = half the team should be sacked, the coaches should all go, the culture stinks, players on the booze, players disrespecting the coach...etc.

Point being any one who puts their hand up to play for the blues is putting their head on the chopping block. The thorough arrogance of the NSWRL and Sydney media means the winners are never given credit when it is due. The NSW players are constantly put up on a pedastal only to have it ripped from beneath their feet as soon as the series is over. From the idiot headlines of the papers to the attacks by Joey and Gus after every loss...I actually feel sorry for Laurie and most of the team. Joey's only contribution during the run was to label GI a black C and Gus has offered even less. They both over talked the side up after game 1 and both defecated on it after game 3. Niether has the balls to take Daley's job but will criticise at every opportunity. Same goes for the parade of journo's ive seen on various footy shows. They were talking up a NSW 10 year dynasty, now they are witch hunting for excuses and labelling players as not up to it. Its crazy stuff.

QLD are lucky that everyone just falls in behind them. After game 1 the consensus was that the selectors got it wrong, it was time for rejuvenation. There wasnt an uproar. Selections were made ending the careers of some long term stallwarts and beginning the careers of the next gen, some of whom were heavily sledged by Sydney media, and we all trusted that theyd do their jobs and mostly left them to it. I reckon fear is a big difference between the teams. QLD arent afraid of losing. As long as they go down swinging the supporter base is satisfied. For NSW however losing means inquiries, weeks of public discussion, whistleblowers leaking activities and lies in the media. Take Pearce for example. He left the country after the loss and who could blame him? With only 1 game in Sydney next year and the blooding of some impressive new maroons, NSW are good chances to go down again. Will anything change or will we be sitting here going over the same stuff again?
Agree with bits and pieces of this, especially how Andrew Johns and his "super coach-in-waiting" brother are quick and very vocal in their condemnation of Laurie, if only they had the balls to back up their motormouths and have a crack at changing NSW into winners. Matt Johns is quoted as saying his 3 hours a morning on MMM and his 1 hour fluff piece faux-comedy TV show would not allow him the time to take on the Blues coaching job....he has "a full book" apparently. What a cowards way out.
The thing I don't agree with is QLD wouldn't turn on their own or hit the panic button if they were in the position of having lost 11/12 series? If anything I think the backlash would be worse, because as is often-repeated "Origin means more to QLD than NSW". IMO it wouldn't be pretty.

tig_prmz
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 14 times

Unread post by tig_prmz » Tue 01 Aug, 2017 12:06 am

i dont see anything wrong with what stryker has said in his OP, all the name calling aside after that

there are a lot of factors:
1. the QLD spine, incredible
2. Gus/Johns- they need to have an objective way of looking at things, otherwise take up a position and put your rep where your mouth is
3. the selfishness in the NSW culture: fifita, woods, gallen, farah, hayne, dugan, fergo, merrin, tamou- they've always performed for themselves. You need every single person at 110% and by picking on "talent", nsw has shot themselves in the foot each time. THe reason QLD has more "passion" is because they play for each other, they cover each other in defense and attack whereas nsw boys just stand when their job is done or they get beaten
4. the media: they need to give it a break
My Round 1 Team 2018

1. lolo 2. noffa 3. suli 4. milne 5. fonua
6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal
11. McQuen 12. Lawrence 13. Eiso
14. Matulino 15. McIllwrick 16. Sue 17. Aloiai
18. Marsters 19. Benji 20. Grant 21. K Naiqama
Next: Liddle, MCK, Felise, MWZ, Thompson, Rochow, Gamble

Return to “State of Origin”