Slater Gone...

happy tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 35889
Joined: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:49 pm

Re: Slater Gone...

Unread post by happy tiger » Wed 22 Feb, 2017 9:48 am

Tiger Watto wrote:
colmcd wrote:
Tiger Watto wrote:I couldnt stop laughing when I read Patten :roll
Patten was awesome for the Dogs. He just filled that position like a glove.

Not trying to dis Slater. I just don't see him as the "classic" fullback. But maybe I remember his failures a little more, like being targeted with the high ball during Origin (though I remember one game the stadium lights were right in his way... Also can't say Hodgo has a good Origin record *why Hodgo why*). I often remember Slater as going across the line himself a lot more then most fullbacks do (but sure his assists are as good as anyone else).

Also the Storm's defence is just awesome. Probably put less pressure on Slater, as other team members can be trusted to stop tries rather then force the fullback to run and cover.

I do think his playing ability in 2006/2007 was legendary while in the last 3 years it is just good/great. I can remember Slater winning games for the Storm by himself then, I haven't seen that in the last 3 years. Being fair he is a lot older and of-course this means he can't be the freak that he was, no one can. Considering that Brett Stewart's body is failing him, Minechello body too never fully came back, Lockyer moved to 5/8 in part because of his speed loss.... I should not be surprised.

Not dissing Slater at all. I just never saw him as the "classic" fullback. Unlike say Cooper Cronk who I would say is the "classic" Halfback, (If I looked up Halfback in a book, Cooper Cronk would IMHO be the most typical Halfback I could think of next to Johns).
I love Hodgo... He is my favorite NSW Player of all time.

What a BEAUTIFUL pass to Lockyer in 2006!
Even I think that is below the belt Watto

Hodgson was a club legend


colmcd
Member
Member
Posts: 431
Joined: Wed 04 Jan, 2017 11:38 pm
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 40 times

Unread post by colmcd » Thu 23 Feb, 2017 3:40 am

Tiger Watto wrote:I love Hodgo... He is my favorite NSW Player of all time.

What a BEAUTIFUL pass to Lockyer in 2006!
Did you not wonder why I wrote "*why Hodgo why* " ?

A shame a player that good gets remembered for a mistake that bad. Honestly I loved watching him play, he was an incredible entertainer and I think he kept playing in England till he was like 37?

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 2237
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 8:12 am
Location: bayview
Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 31 times

Unread post by jadtiger » Thu 23 Feb, 2017 6:30 am

colmcd wrote:
Tiger Watto wrote:I love Hodgo... He is my favorite NSW Player of all time.

What a BEAUTIFUL pass to Lockyer in 2006!
Did you not wonder why I wrote "*why Hodgo why* " ?

A shame a player that good gets remembered for a mistake that bad. Honestly I loved watching him play, he was an incredible entertainer and I think he kept playing in England till he was like 37?
In this world people are remembered for their failures as much as their achievements make of that what you will.I suppose it is the perverse side of us all looking for fault in others.

User avatar
stryker
Member
Member
Posts: 10791
Joined: Sun 19 Jul, 2009 4:16 pm
Location: Cairns
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 142 times

Unread post by stryker » Tue 28 Feb, 2017 5:55 pm

Hodgo and Patten were very good at 1st grade level.
Slater was great at all levels.

Pawsandclaws
Member
Member
Posts: 2271
Joined: Sat 20 Jun, 2015 5:53 pm
Been liked: 46 times

Unread post by Pawsandclaws » Tue 28 Feb, 2017 6:23 pm

stryker wrote:
Tue 28 Feb, 2017 5:55 pm
Hodgo and Patten were very good at 1st grade level.
Slater was great at all levels.
Excellent summary.

Post Reply

Return to “State of Origin”