Been liked: 197 times

Re: Slater Gone...

Unread post by Geo. » Fri 18 Mar, 2016 10:19 am

Cultured Bogan wrote:
Pawsandclaws wrote:
Cultured Bogan wrote:
hobbo2803 wrote:
Poor blokes voice never broke :lol:
Can't stand Slater. Big noting wanker, loves to talk about himself on BSB, will bag Tugger Waugh any chance he gets and to top it all off, he's a Manly fan.
Slater having a go at Waugh? I have a lot of respect for Slater but having a go at Waugh is not on. Certainly gone down in my estimation.
He can't stand him ever since he dropped him back in 2001.
Wrong Slater I think..

Anyhow I guess it's time to leave our Slater's Grubbiest moments here..I'll start...

1. Head stomping Skando at Leichhardt...
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

Cultured Bogan
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 73 times

Unread post by Cultured Bogan » Fri 18 Mar, 2016 11:20 am

Haha, I didn't even think of that. Read the post about his voice never having broke and channel nine commentary box and assumed it was ol' nasally Michael Slater.

What a colossal misread on my part! :lol:
Corrosive tainted by sin, I'm spilling blood and I can hardly contain it;
Corrosive hallowing the hand, stiffened I eat away, eat into the surface.

Fuerza en la adversidad.

DavidDuncan

Unread post by DavidDuncan » Fri 18 Mar, 2016 12:42 pm

Geo. wrote:
Cultured Bogan wrote:
Pawsandclaws wrote:
Cultured Bogan wrote:
Can't stand Slater. Big noting wanker, loves to talk about himself on BSB, will bag Tugger Waugh any chance he gets and to top it all off, he's a Manly fan.
Slater having a go at Waugh? I have a lot of respect for Slater but having a go at Waugh is not on. Certainly gone down in my estimation.
Wrong Slater I think..

Anyhow I guess it's time to leave our Slater's Grubbiest moments here..I'll start...

2. Every single in goal tackle he attempts where he leads with his knees.
Remember the past. Live in the now. Plan for the future.

happy tiger

Unread post by happy tiger » Fri 18 Mar, 2016 9:17 pm

Geo. wrote:
Cultured Bogan wrote:
Pawsandclaws wrote:
Cultured Bogan wrote:
Wrong Slater I think..

2 . Scoring 12 tries for Qld and winning 2 MOTM awards for Qld

Masterton
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 23 times

Unread post by Masterton » Sat 19 Mar, 2016 12:12 am

Geo. wrote:

...and then fleeing from Skando like a scared child.
"I was on the bus before you painted it yellow."

stryker
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 141 times

Unread post by stryker » Mon 21 Mar, 2016 2:23 pm

Skando should have cleared the ruck ...Big lazy lump he was...

bella121

Unread post by bella121 » Tue 14 Feb, 2017 10:14 pm

Cultured Bogan wrote:
tig_prmz wrote:
Cultured Bogan wrote:Shame to see so many people celebrating an injury to Slater. Sure he's questionable on the field in terms of conduct but at least he's never tried to root dogs, glass his partner, bash women, take performance enhancing or recreational drugs, led cops on online dui classes Michigan a drink drive chase or been accused of rape.
who's celebrating?
most people in fact said he is a really good player
Gee I dunno, did you read the thread? Look at the OP for starters.
Hi
It's really shocking to listen that such a famous player like Slater get arrested under DUI case.

Cultured Bogan
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 73 times

Unread post by Cultured Bogan » Wed 15 Feb, 2017 8:02 am

Talk about a thread bump... Gotta be a bot.
Corrosive tainted by sin, I'm spilling blood and I can hardly contain it;
Corrosive hallowing the hand, stiffened I eat away, eat into the surface.

Fuerza en la adversidad.

happy tiger

Unread post by happy tiger » Wed 15 Feb, 2017 10:29 pm

Kelly Slater has been a champion for many years

colmcd
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 31 times

Unread post by colmcd » Sun 19 Feb, 2017 11:49 pm

stryker wrote:Such a shame. The greatest fullback, probably ever, could well have played his last game.
Slater was amazing in the 2006 run and 2007. I remember seeing him take a ball like 20 meters from his tryline then just ploughing down the field. He could out step everyone, his speed was just incredible and he just ran the opposition ragged. GI definitely added something to the game but Slater was the try scoring machine. He was just so fast and athletic he just ran across the line.

I don't think though he was a great fullback in the likes of Patten, Hodgson, Lockyer, etc. They seemed to know how to position with the team, find the gaps, be tactical and read the plays. Slater was like Minachello and Hayne, just so physically freaky. Ok Slater definitely positions better the Gidley or Hayne but he is a very different player. Also his peak was around 2006/2007, sure later on he was better then the average bear but then he carved teams like butter from his own line.

happy tiger

Unread post by happy tiger » Mon 20 Feb, 2017 1:23 am

colmcd wrote:
stryker wrote:Such a shame. The greatest fullback, probably ever, could well have played his last game.
Slater was amazing in the 2006 run and 2007. I remember seeing him take a ball like 20 meters from his tryline then just ploughing down the field. He could out step everyone, his speed was just incredible and he just ran the opposition ragged. GI definitely added something to the game but Slater was the try scoring machine. He was just so fast and athletic he just ran across the line.

I don't think though he was a great fullback in the likes of Patten, Hodgson, Lockyer, etc. They seemed to know how to position with the team, find the gaps, be tactical and read the plays. Slater was like Minachello and Hayne, just so physically freaky. Ok Slater definitely positions better the Gidley or Hayne but he is a very different player. Also his peak was around 2006/2007, sure later on he was better then the average bear but then he carved teams like butter from his own line.
When you hear people such as Cameron Smith ,Bellamy ,Meninga rate him so highly its hard to question how good Slater is

stryker
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 141 times

Unread post by stryker » Mon 20 Feb, 2017 1:34 am

Not a great fullback like Patten and Hodgo? Those guys couldnt tie his bootlaces.

His positional play was second to none. He was almost faultless under the highball. He always put his body on the line in every game. His passing game was sublime and his running game even better. As a last line in defence he was very hard to beat and saved more tries than any of his peers. His footwork at the line and his speed off the mark were brilliant. He was also very strong.

Easily the most complete and gifted fullback ive ever seen.... by a long way.

yeti
Been liked: 6 times

Unread post by yeti » Mon 20 Feb, 2017 5:23 am

stryker wrote:Not a great fullback like Patten and Hodgo? Those guys couldnt tie his bootlaces.

His positional play was second to none. He was almost faultless under the highball. He always put his body on the line in every game. His passing game was sublime and his running game even better. As a last line in defence he was very hard to beat and saved more tries than any of his peers. His footwork at the line and his speed off the mark were brilliant. He was also very strong.

Agree 100%

Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 130 times
Been liked: 197 times

Unread post by Geo. » Mon 20 Feb, 2017 7:35 am

Great player in the elite of fullbacks but still a Grubity Grub Grub...
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

bigsiro
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Been liked: 12 times

Unread post by bigsiro » Mon 20 Feb, 2017 10:41 am

yeti wrote:
stryker wrote:Not a great fullback like Patten and Hodgo? Those guys couldnt tie his bootlaces.

Agree 100%
200%
Make Wests Tigers Great Again

Tiger Watto
Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 30 times

Unread post by Tiger Watto » Mon 20 Feb, 2017 10:57 am

I couldnt stop laughing when I read Patten :roll
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

colmcd
Been liked: 31 times

Unread post by colmcd » Tue 21 Feb, 2017 10:48 pm

Tiger Watto wrote:I couldnt stop laughing when I read Patten :roll
Patten was awesome for the Dogs. He just filled that position like a glove.

Not trying to dis Slater. I just don't see him as the "classic" fullback. But maybe I remember his failures a little more, like being targeted with the high ball during Origin (though I remember one game the stadium lights were right in his way... Also can't say Hodgo has a good Origin record *why Hodgo why*). I often remember Slater as going across the line himself a lot more then most fullbacks do (but sure his assists are as good as anyone else).

Also the Storm's defence is just awesome. Probably put less pressure on Slater, as other team members can be trusted to stop tries rather then force the fullback to run and cover.

I do think his playing ability in 2006/2007 was legendary while in the last 3 years it is just good/great. I can remember Slater winning games for the Storm by himself then, I haven't seen that in the last 3 years. Being fair he is a lot older and of-course this means he can't be the freak that he was, no one can. Considering that Brett Stewart's body is failing him, Minechello body too never fully came back, Lockyer moved to 5/8 in part because of his speed loss.... I should not be surprised.

Not dissing Slater at all. I just never saw him as the "classic" fullback. Unlike say Cooper Cronk who I would say is the "classic" Halfback, (If I looked up Halfback in a book, Cooper Cronk would IMHO be the most typical Halfback I could think of next to Johns).

Tiger Watto
Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 30 times

Unread post by Tiger Watto » Wed 22 Feb, 2017 6:06 am

colmcd wrote:
Tiger Watto wrote:I couldnt stop laughing when I read Patten :roll
Patten was awesome for the Dogs. He just filled that position like a glove.

Not trying to dis Slater. I just don't see him as the "classic" fullback. But maybe I remember his failures a little more, like being targeted with the high ball during Origin (though I remember one game the stadium lights were right in his way... Also can't say Hodgo has a good Origin record *why Hodgo why*). I often remember Slater as going across the line himself a lot more then most fullbacks do (but sure his assists are as good as anyone else).

Also the Storm's defence is just awesome. Probably put less pressure on Slater, as other team members can be trusted to stop tries rather then force the fullback to run and cover.

I do think his playing ability in 2006/2007 was legendary while in the last 3 years it is just good/great. I can remember Slater winning games for the Storm by himself then, I haven't seen that in the last 3 years. Being fair he is a lot older and of-course this means he can't be the freak that he was, no one can. Considering that Brett Stewart's body is failing him, Minechello body too never fully came back, Lockyer moved to 5/8 in part because of his speed loss.... I should not be surprised.

Not dissing Slater at all. I just never saw him as the "classic" fullback. Unlike say Cooper Cronk who I would say is the "classic" Halfback, (If I looked up Halfback in a book, Cooper Cronk would IMHO be the most typical Halfback I could think of next to Johns).
I love Hodgo... He is my favorite NSW Player of all time.

What a BEAUTIFUL pass to Lockyer in 2006!
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

Return to “State of Origin”