Favourite State of Origin match

Tacky
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 29 times

Favourite State of Origin match

Unread post by Tacky » Thu 27 Apr, 2017 12:44 pm

Thinking of Reynolds got me thinking about Origin, which got me thinking about my favourite origin game. For me it's got to be game 1 2014. I had gotten so used to watching NSW lose Origin. We hadn't won for 8 years, we were playing in Queensland and we had to defend our tryline for the last 15 minutes of the match. There were so many memorable moments like the try saver from Brett Morris or Josh Morris limping back on the field to make a cover tackle. This one beats game two in my opinion and is definitely my favourite Origin match.

WTF's self proclaimed #1 anarchist. President of the Michael Chee-Kam fan club

Tiger Watto
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 50 times

Unread post by Tiger Watto » Thu 27 Apr, 2017 1:57 pm

Tough split:

1. First ever SOO at Lang Park when Big Artie came out with Boustead; Reddy; Lang & Morris after being forced to play against Queensland previously

or

2. Game 2 1989 - Qld lost Langer [broken leg], Meninga [fractured eye socket], Vautin [Elbow] by half time and still went on to record a memorable victory. It was also the game with the best Try in Origin history by the King!

Oh, and I always loved Hodgo's great pass to Locky in 2006 to get the victory
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

Fade To Black
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 51 times

Unread post by Fade To Black » Sun 30 Apr, 2017 5:47 pm

Game 2 in 1991. Geyer going on the rampage. The Geyer/Wally confrontation. O'connor kicks the sideline conversion in pouring rain to win the game. That was great.
Also in that game when the blue started after Geyer tried to elbow Paul Hauff and Gary Coyne ran in like a coward and king-hit Blocker full force from behind.....Blocker didn't even flinch! Pity Block didn't turn around and knock the coward unconscious.

stryker
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 142 times

Unread post by stryker » Thu 25 May, 2017 12:24 am

I agree with Watto's selections...however ill add one.

Game 3 in 2015. I was working in Canberra at the time and was flabbergasted at the arrogance and garbage being spoken by ex players, journalists and experts who were riding the wave of NSW's win in game 2. They were so over the top with their assessments that game 3 was in the bag that they convinced most fans. I was being told every day that this blues side was special and were headed for greatness. Gould, Sterling, Johns and co were all frothing at the mouth...ive never seen anything like it. So i travelled to Suncorp to watch this great NSW team bash the hell out of the 'old' QLDers and left a few hours later laughing my head off as the Maroons won 52-6 LMAO...

Return to “State of Origin”