State of Origin game 1 2017 *Live game thread

Byron Bay Fan
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 32 times

Re: State of Origin game 1 2017 *Live game thread

Unread post by Byron Bay Fan » Fri 02 Jun, 2017 9:59 am

As mentioned elsewhere where those perfect grubbers a previous hooker could pull out of the hat on demand and kicks down the sideline bouncing beautifully odd then going out - gaining precious metres and giving the forwards a good break slowly walking up the paddock? Otherwise I love Pearce's game - he is fast, involved and exciting.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

pdenny77
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by pdenny77 » Fri 02 Jun, 2017 10:09 am

stryker wrote:
Fri 02 Jun, 2017 9:10 am
pdenny77 wrote:
Fri 02 Jun, 2017 8:52 am
stryker wrote:
Fri 02 Jun, 2017 1:02 am
Marshall_magic wrote:
Thu 01 Jun, 2017 10:00 pm
I thought Pearce was okay before he went off. Was involved in the first try and scored the second. He had few poor kicks but ultimately was pretty good before he went off. Easily his best game at this level, and I think it's no coincidence that it happened when a select few who would over involve themselves were no longer there (Bird, Gallen and Farah). Also, the NSW pack completely dominated which gave him a good platform.
Almost verbatim Phil Gould. Did you cut and paste or do you just have a good memory? Bird, Gallen and Farah busted their arses for years with sub standard squads mostly led by your mate Mitchell. The amount of crap these guys cop shows what mongrels Gould and the NSW hierarchy are. They are blaming the wrong players. You put those three guys in their prime in a side like last night and they win regularly.
Pearce was garbage. A good halfback would have had a three try lead at half time. He just can not manage a game at this level. Even with a dominant pack he did very little. QLD should have been pinned in their own 20 for large sections of that game. His kicking is the reason they were not.
What's wrong with echoing Phil Gould? Even people who hate him (e.g. Phil Rothfield) agree that he was a great coach and man manager, especially at SOO level. Can you claim every idea or thought you have as original and exclusive to you?

As for Pearce, he did just fine. Much better than his opposite.
Gould is a chicken poo of a coach at origin level who only took jobs when the team was stacked. Never saw him put his hand up during QLD's dominant run...he'll probably make a comeback now NSW has a good team again.
Cooper outplayed Pearce.
Righto :crazy

Marshall_magic
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by Marshall_magic » Fri 02 Jun, 2017 11:58 pm

stryker wrote:
Fri 02 Jun, 2017 1:02 am
Marshall_magic wrote:
Thu 01 Jun, 2017 10:00 pm
I thought Pearce was okay before he went off. Was involved in the first try and scored the second. He had few poor kicks but ultimately was pretty good before he went off. Easily his best game at this level, and I think it's no coincidence that it happened when a select few who would over involve themselves were no longer there (Bird, Gallen and Farah). Also, the NSW pack completely dominated which gave him a good platform.
Almost verbatim Phil Gould. Did you cut and paste or do you just have a good memory? Bird, Gallen and Farah busted their arses for years with sub standard squads mostly led by your mate Mitchell. The amount of crap these guys cop shows what mongrels Gould and the NSW hierarchy are. They are blaming the wrong players. You put those three guys in their prime in a side like last night and they win regularly.
Pearce was garbage. A good halfback would have had a three try lead at half time. He just can not manage a game at this level. Even with a dominant pack he did very little. QLD should have been pinned in their own 20 for large sections of that game. His kicking is the reason they were not.
Honestly, I had a mate (Sharks fan) bring it up to me about 5 years ago, and I thought it was rubbish. Each year he would bring it up, and after a couple of years I could see his point.

Gallen was always good for a hit up when the Blues had a bit of momentum (4th tackle of a set where we are actually scattering the defence) and it can kill the momentum. Bird always tries to be a 6 even when he is wearing the 11, 12 or 13, inserting himself into backline plays and not leaving the ballplaying to the designated ball players who do it better. Farah is always looking to create the chance himself before getting the ball to the halves (takes half a second longer which is a long time), compare him to Peats who kept it simple in attack and our pack looked better than it has in a decade (although partially it is down to the personel, which did not include the aforementioned Gallen and Bird). I know all 3 have had great games at this level, but they have also overplayed their hand a lot.

Pearce had 2 very poor kicks during the first half, yes, but the way the guy is perceived now he would need to be a Joey/JT hybrid to even get a pass mark from some at this level. You can say that NSW should have been 3 tries up but the ledger was fairly even in the first half, Qld completed at 100% and conceded 1 penalty, hardly a performance that screams "we should be 18 points down".

Return to “State of Origin”