Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 23 times

Unread post by Masterton » Thu 01 Jun, 2017 6:50 am

shakey4d wrote:
Wed 31 May, 2017 10:11 pm
Nelson wrote:
Wed 31 May, 2017 9:35 pm
Great selection that Justin O'Neill, had a whale of a game...

Surely game 2 we see: 1. Slater 2. Oates 3. Gagai 4. Chambers 5. Boyd

Gagai would be tearing Hayne to shreds in attack.
I would have thought
1. Slater
2. Valentine-Holmes
3. Gagai
4. Chambers
5. Boyd

17. Oates

Would be more dangerous. But Oates played well.
I think most people agree that some variation of that should be the backline.... but the game was lost in the forwards. That's where some changes are really needed. Part of the blame for the loss has to rest with Kevvie.

I guess we'll see how much of an influence Thurston has if he returns for game 2.
"I was on the bus before you painted it yellow."

supercoach
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 48 times

Unread post by supercoach » Thu 01 Jun, 2017 7:37 am

Fast flowing game suited the Blues,The ref put his whistle away,let plenty go both ways,a few high shots and a few forward passes. QLD very seldom get beaten in a arm wrestle so the Blues played a very up tempo game. Full marks to the blues forwards,they won the battle early in the game

Byron Bay Fan
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 17 times

Unread post by Byron Bay Fan » Thu 01 Jun, 2017 8:40 am

stryker wrote:
Wed 31 May, 2017 11:04 pm
Twodogs wrote:
Wed 31 May, 2017 10:29 pm
No, Stryker. Been waiting 75,000 years. NSW were better across the park. Game 2 won't be so easy.
yep man for man they were better. I thought Papali was close to the best forward on the park in the first 15-20 minutes and Oates did well considering he was targeted and was lucky to have been selected in the first place but most others were outplayed.

Woods, Pearce and Duges were weak for the blues.
The team lacked a good kicker in play - to lob a bouncing ball over the sideline near the goal line, good well-weighted cross-angled grubbers close to the line etc.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

Gary Bakerloo
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 5 times

Unread post by Gary Bakerloo » Thu 01 Jun, 2017 9:53 am

Masterton wrote:
Thu 01 Jun, 2017 6:50 am
shakey4d wrote:
Nelson wrote:

I would have thought
1. Slater
2. Valentine-Holmes
3. Gagai
4. Chambers
5. Boyd

17. Oates

I think most people agree that some variation of that should be the backline.... but the game was lost in the forwards. That's where some changes are really needed. Part of the blame for the loss has to rest with Kevvie.

I guess we'll see how much of an influence Thurston has if he returns for game 2.
If Thurston is available, I would drop Cronk and play Morgan in the halves.

pdenny77
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by pdenny77 » Thu 01 Jun, 2017 9:56 am

Gary Bakerloo wrote:
Thu 01 Jun, 2017 9:53 am
Masterton wrote:
Thu 01 Jun, 2017 6:50 am
shakey4d wrote:
Nelson wrote:

I would have thought
1. Slater
2. Valentine-Holmes
3. Gagai
4. Chambers
5. Boyd

17. Oates

Drop Cronk for Morgan? As a NSW supporter I think this is the best idea I have ever heard.

stryker
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 141 times

Unread post by stryker » Thu 01 Jun, 2017 10:04 am

Gary Bakerloo wrote:
Thu 01 Jun, 2017 9:53 am

:lol: far too early in the morning for heavy drugs Gaza

Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 130 times
Been liked: 197 times

Unread post by Geo. » Thu 01 Jun, 2017 2:59 pm

I just watched Darius attempted tackle on Maloney again when he strolled over...I take it back it wasn't a missed tackle as all Darius took was air...
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

upthetigers
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

Unread post by upthetigers » Thu 01 Jun, 2017 3:10 pm

Geo. wrote:
Thu 01 Jun, 2017 2:59 pm
I just watched Darius attempted tackle on Maloney again when he strolled over...I take it back it wasn't a missed tackle as all Darius took was air...
He was probably distracted thinking about how he wished ole Wayno was coach.

steve-o
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 10 times

Unread post by steve-o » Thu 01 Jun, 2017 4:37 pm

That tackle attempt was a pathetic effort from boyd. Slater has to be the fullback for the rest I the series for his work in defense, and his ability to catch almost everything clearing kick on the full.
Also, NSW win hid the fact that pearce wasn't great once again. There was the attempted Gruber that gagai caught on the full, the attempted grubber that went no where, and a number of bombs that didn't put Oates under much pressure (though the poor chase was also to blame).
Anyway, I'm actually a fan of pearce so hoping he plays better in games II and III
Year of last finals appearance:
2017 - Storm, Roosters, Broncos, Eels, Sharks, Sea Eagles, Panthers, Cowboys
2016 - Raiders, Bulldogs, Titans
2015 - Rabbitohs, Dragons
2013 - Knights
2011 - Tigers, Warriors

Spud Murphy
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 58 times

Unread post by Spud Murphy » Thu 01 Jun, 2017 6:24 pm

steve-o wrote:
Thu 01 Jun, 2017 4:37 pm
That tackle attempt was a pathetic effort from boyd. Slater has to be the fullback for the rest I the series for his work in defense, and his ability to catch almost everything clearing kick on the full.
Also, NSW win hid the fact that pearce wasn't great once again. There was the attempted Gruber that gagai caught on the full, the attempted grubber that went no where, and a number of bombs that didn't put Oates under much pressure (though the poor chase was also to blame).
Anyway, I'm actually a fan of pearce so hoping he plays better in games II and III
Peace is so good at club level, but he just ain't the same player when he trots out for Origin. It's like he totally forgets how to take control of the team! Ennis was the same - brilliant for his team, totally lost in Origin. Thank God for Maloney because he virtually covered both halves roles last night.

steve-o
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 10 times

Unread post by steve-o » Thu 01 Jun, 2017 8:30 pm

Spud Murphy wrote:
Thu 01 Jun, 2017 6:24 pm
steve-o wrote:
Thu 01 Jun, 2017 4:37 pm
Peace is so good at club level, but he just ain't the same player when he trots out for Origin. It's like he totally forgets how to take control of the team! Ennis was the same - brilliant for his team, totally lost in Origin. Thank God for Maloney because he virtually covered both halves roles last night.
Yeah pearce looks very flustered out there, whereas he looks quite composed playing for the roosters, even in high pressure games (eg finals).
It's a shame that Farah's best years were when Ennis was in the origin team. When Farah finally made his way back into the team, he basically just tackled his heart out, and his attack became less effective. Dropping him for Peats proved to be a great call from Daley
Year of last finals appearance:
2017 - Storm, Roosters, Broncos, Eels, Sharks, Sea Eagles, Panthers, Cowboys
2016 - Raiders, Bulldogs, Titans
2015 - Rabbitohs, Dragons
2013 - Knights
2011 - Tigers, Warriors

Marshall_magic
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by Marshall_magic » Thu 01 Jun, 2017 10:00 pm

I thought Pearce was okay before he went off. Was involved in the first try and scored the second. He had few poor kicks but ultimately was pretty good before he went off. Easily his best game at this level, and I think it's no coincidence that it happened when a select few who would over involve themselves were no longer there (Bird, Gallen and Farah). Also, the NSW pack completely dominated which gave him a good platform.

Telltails
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 23 times

Unread post by Telltails » Thu 01 Jun, 2017 10:59 pm

While there were some standouts all performed well. Great team effort and completely out played the oppostion which is rare occurance for NSW in SOO in recent times. Barring injury cant see any changes for game 2

stryker

Unread post by stryker » Fri 02 Jun, 2017 1:02 am

Marshall_magic wrote:
Thu 01 Jun, 2017 10:00 pm
I thought Pearce was okay before he went off. Was involved in the first try and scored the second. He had few poor kicks but ultimately was pretty good before he went off. Easily his best game at this level, and I think it's no coincidence that it happened when a select few who would over involve themselves were no longer there (Bird, Gallen and Farah). Also, the NSW pack completely dominated which gave him a good platform.
Almost verbatim Phil Gould. Did you cut and paste or do you just have a good memory? Bird, Gallen and Farah busted their arses for years with sub standard squads mostly led by your mate Mitchell. The amount of crap these guys cop shows what mongrels Gould and the NSW hierarchy are. They are blaming the wrong players. You put those three guys in their prime in a side like last night and they win regularly.
Pearce was garbage. A good halfback would have had a three try lead at half time. He just can not manage a game at this level. Even with a dominant pack he did very little. QLD should have been pinned in their own 20 for large sections of that game. His kicking is the reason they were not.

Russell
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 82 times

Unread post by Russell » Fri 02 Jun, 2017 8:30 am

stryker wrote:
Fri 02 Jun, 2017 1:02 am
Marshall_magic wrote:
Almost verbatim Phil Gould. Did you cut and paste or do you just have a good memory? Bird, Gallen and Farah busted their arses for years with sub standard squads mostly led by your mate Mitchell. The amount of crap these guys cop shows what mongrels Gould and the NSW hierarchy are. They are blaming the wrong players. You put those three guys in their prime in a side like last night and they win regularly.
Pearce was garbage. A good halfback would have had a three try lead at half time. He just can not manage a game at this level. Even with a dominant pack he did very little. QLD should have been pinned in their own 20 for large sections of that game. His kicking is the reason they were not.
You sure have a lot to say about what NSW should have done and should do for a Queenslander.

I would suggest you worry about your own team and the problems they have at the moment. Lol

pdenny77
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by pdenny77 » Fri 02 Jun, 2017 8:52 am

stryker wrote:
Marshall_magic wrote:
What's wrong with echoing Phil Gould? Even people who hate him (e.g. Phil Rothfield) agree that he was a great coach and man manager, especially at SOO level. Can you claim every idea or thought you have as original and exclusive to you?

As for Pearce, he did just fine. Much better than his opposite.

stryker

Unread post by stryker » Fri 02 Jun, 2017 9:10 am

pdenny77 wrote:
Fri 02 Jun, 2017 8:52 am
stryker wrote:
Marshall_magic wrote:
What's wrong with echoing Phil Gould? Even people who hate him (e.g. Phil Rothfield) agree that he was a great coach and man manager, especially at SOO level. Can you claim every idea or thought you have as original and exclusive to you?

As for Pearce, he did just fine. Much better than his opposite.
Gould is a chicken poo of a coach at origin level who only took jobs when the team was stacked. Never saw him put his hand up during QLD's dominant run...he'll probably make a comeback now NSW has a good team again.
Cooper outplayed Pearce.

Return to “State of Origin”