NSW eating their own.

stryker
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 142 times

NSW eating their own.

Unread post by stryker » Thu 20 Jul, 2017 11:04 pm

They picked a strong side and easily won game 1 = new dynasty created, its our turn for domination.

They started strongly but faded in game 2 to narrowly lose = missed opportunity, we'll get them in game 3 as we have the better team.

They get embarrassed in game 3, utterly outplayed to lose another series = half the team should be sacked, the coaches should all go, the culture stinks, players on the booze, players disrespecting the coach...etc.

Point being any one who puts their hand up to play for the blues is putting their head on the chopping block. The thorough arrogance of the NSWRL and Sydney media means the winners are never given credit when it is due. The NSW players are constantly put up on a pedastal only to have it ripped from beneath their feet as soon as the series is over. From the idiot headlines of the papers to the attacks by Joey and Gus after every loss...I actually feel sorry for Laurie and most of the team. Joey's only contribution during the run was to label GI a black C and Gus has offered even less. They both over talked the side up after game 1 and both defecated on it after game 3. Niether has the balls to take Daley's job but will criticise at every opportunity. Same goes for the parade of journo's ive seen on various footy shows. They were talking up a NSW 10 year dynasty, now they are witch hunting for excuses and labelling players as not up to it. Its crazy stuff.

QLD are lucky that everyone just falls in behind them. After game 1 the consensus was that the selectors got it wrong, it was time for rejuvenation. There wasnt an uproar. Selections were made ending the careers of some long term stallwarts and beginning the careers of the next gen, some of whom were heavily sledged by Sydney media, and we all trusted that theyd do their jobs and mostly left them to it. I reckon fear is a big difference between the teams. QLD arent afraid of losing. As long as they go down swinging the supporter base is satisfied. For NSW however losing means inquiries, weeks of public discussion, whistleblowers leaking activities and lies in the media. Take Pearce for example. He left the country after the loss and who could blame him? With only 1 game in Sydney next year and the blooding of some impressive new maroons, NSW are good chances to go down again. Will anything change or will we be sitting here going over the same stuff again?

ALX22
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by ALX22 » Thu 20 Jul, 2017 11:15 pm

Tommy Raudonikis “I know someone that went into the Queensland dressing room at Lang Park (Suncorp Stadium) after game one, and it was like somebody died. Nobody spoke. Heads were hung low, people were crying.

“Our dressing room last night, nowhere like the Queensland dressing room. Blokes were talking to each other like nothing happened. That is the difference between Queensland and New South Wales — and it’s called passion.”

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/blues- ... 9cc060275e

diedpretty
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 20 times

Unread post by diedpretty » Thu 20 Jul, 2017 11:30 pm

stryker wrote:
Thu 20 Jul, 2017 11:04 pm
They picked a strong side and easily won game 1 = new dynasty created, its our turn for domination.

They started strongly but faded in game 2 to narrowly lose = missed opportunity, we'll get them in game 3 as we have the better team.

They get embarrassed in game 3, utterly outplayed to lose another series = half the team should be sacked, the coaches should all go, the culture stinks, players on the booze, players disrespecting the coach...etc.

Point being any one who puts their hand up to play for the blues is putting their head on the chopping block. The thorough arrogance of the NSWRL and Sydney media means the winners are never given credit when it is due. The NSW players are constantly put up on a pedastal only to have it ripped from beneath their feet as soon as the series is over. From the idiot headlines of the papers to the attacks by Joey and Gus after every loss...I actually feel sorry for Laurie and most of the team. Joey's only contribution during the run was to label GI a black C and Gus has offered even less. They both over talked the side up after game 1 and both defecated on it after game 3. Niether has the balls to take Daley's job but will criticise at every opportunity. Same goes for the parade of journo's ive seen on various footy shows. They were talking up a NSW 10 year dynasty, now they are witch hunting for excuses and labelling players as not up to it. Its crazy stuff.

QLD are lucky that everyone just falls in behind them. After game 1 the consensus was that the selectors got it wrong, it was time for rejuvenation. There wasnt an uproar. Selections were made ending the careers of some long term stallwarts and beginning the careers of the next gen, some of whom were heavily sledged by Sydney media, and we all trusted that theyd do their jobs and mostly left them to it. I reckon fear is a big difference between the teams. QLD arent afraid of losing. As long as they go down swinging the supporter base is satisfied. For NSW however losing means inquiries, weeks of public discussion, whistleblowers leaking activities and lies in the media. Take Pearce for example. He left the country after the loss and who could blame him? With only 1 game in Sydney next year and the blooding of some impressive new maroons, NSW are good chances to go down again. Will anything change or will we be sitting here going over the same stuff again?
I'm just tuning the violins Stryker. Have you ever heard of the saying a poor winner - oh hang on your Qlder you never would have heard that saying.

sheer64
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 26 times

Unread post by sheer64 » Thu 20 Jul, 2017 11:49 pm

QLD are lucky.

Yes
Arise Sir Waste Anasta, Tool of the highest order!

stryker

Unread post by stryker » Thu 20 Jul, 2017 11:53 pm

Diedpretty if you think thats me being a poor winner then youre as dumb as i thought you were.

Telltails
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 42 times

Unread post by Telltails » Fri 21 Jul, 2017 12:56 am

stryker wrote:
Thu 20 Jul, 2017 11:04 pm

100% spot on. The Queenslanders never turn on their own and there in lies the difference - and they sit back and laugh when we turn on each other, and realise we still dont get it.
Nathan Hindmarsh the only NSW rep I have heard who had the courage to not jump on the band wagon and defend the players and admit that he had a few beers a in camp and as long as they were not out of line cant see any problem with it.
When you have got the likes of people like the Johns brothers and Fittler all taking the moral high ground it makes my skin crawl. And Goulds comments today offered no definitive answers but just took a swipe at all associated with the NSW campaign . What a change in attitude toward the same squad from game one to game three! Disgraceful response not wanting the "Penrith players to be placed in that culture "- what a load of over dramatic BS to wind people up.
Queensland won the series because they played better than us and have a spine that is arguably the best in the history of the game. We have s very good NSW side who on their day can match them, but beating them in the series has been almost impossible.
To blame it on the buzz word Culture which nobody can really identify other than it is associated with "losing" is a cop out. At least Daley had the courage to take on the role to battle the best unlike some of those who are so wise in defeat now.

Chicken Faced Killa
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 23 times

Unread post by Chicken Faced Killa » Fri 21 Jul, 2017 6:16 am

Can't argue with any of that. Game 1 and 2 showed that NSW had the talent to win the series. It's crazy how after the lose in game 3 everyone is getting torn apart. NSW don't seem to have to passion and desire to win that QLD do but they also have ex players and media ready to rip in at any moment. Absolute madness.

Tiger Come Lately
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 41 times

Unread post by Tiger Come Lately » Fri 21 Jul, 2017 7:10 am

I agree with most of Strykers OP. But it's easy to fall apart when the chips are down and NSW are certainly down. And it's easy to bring in players when you are winning.

However, after game 1 Qld's unity was under pressure and cracks were showing.

I think far more Queenslanders would have abandoned the game if the situations were reversed.

And I think all the retric is rubbish. A team with Thurston, Smith, Slater, Cronk is always going to dominate. The reality isn't spirit, or anything else. It's just, great once in a life time players being the core of the current Qld team.

Oh that and we keep picking Michelle Pearce.

Byron Bay Fan
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 49 times

Unread post by Byron Bay Fan » Fri 21 Jul, 2017 7:13 am

It is mainly that we were too predictable, they did not have to expect any positional heave hoes because they just not going to occur, not once. We behaved like robots.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

yeti
Been liked: 12 times

Unread post by yeti » Fri 21 Jul, 2017 7:21 am

Can't really argue with Stryker on this one, unfortunately. The proof is there for all to see. Not sure how to change the culture - an even bigger job than it is with the Tigers.
Queensland have it, the All Blacks have it - an unforgiving will to win. The Wallabies don't and the Blues don't.
Not sure where we go from here to be honest. It's not like at the Tigers where you can purchase a dozen players of the right sort of mentality. The blokes who play for NSW have to be the best footballers as well as having the right attitude. They don't always coincide unfortunately.

Byron Bay Fan

Unread post by Byron Bay Fan » Fri 21 Jul, 2017 7:44 am

Brissie is like Canberra - what else do they have in the world. So everything - body and soul - is channelled into their respective teams.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

Spartan117
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 10 times

Unread post by Spartan117 » Fri 21 Jul, 2017 8:44 am

Blues dont have the desire to compete.

No heart.

You wont find a more passionate Blue than me, My Mrs said I was swearing in my sleep and I dont use that language.

westTAHger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 22 times

Unread post by westTAHger » Fri 21 Jul, 2017 9:28 am

NSW is looking for a sacrificial scapegoat, whether it be the players, coaching staff or who-ever.

I don't even think " Bob the builder can fix NSW Origin team at the moment" :roll:
:sign: once a sprite in black and white.
now I am bold, in black, white and gold

" Hell and heaven, they can wait for you,
So go and do all the things that you want to do ".

From the Stereophonics song " C'est La Vie

Byron Bay Fan

Unread post by Byron Bay Fan » Fri 21 Jul, 2017 9:41 am

Backing NSW is like backing the Maggies in days of old. You don't always get what you want nor want you need...

jirskyr
Has liked: 112 times
Been liked: 124 times

Unread post by jirskyr » Fri 21 Jul, 2017 3:15 pm

Oh please, what a tired concept.

Save me your winner's amateur psychology and patronising "you can do better, I can see where you went wrong" tripe. Leave it to NSW supporters to decide what NSW does next.

Of course NSW are struggling, we've lost 11/12 series. Of course there is derision, concern, conflict, contradiction. There are 7.5 million potentially invested newsouthwelshpeople giving their 2c on this topic, vs 4.7 banana benders. Or maybe that's the problem - maybe many NSW residents aren't invested in footy in the way QLDers are, and that impacts the representative side.

But don't tell me what QLD would never do, when you haven't actually ever had to do it. Don't tell me how you'd handle sustained adversity.

You overhauled the side once this series and now you are lauding yourself for having the guts to do it. Newsflash: NSW overhauls the team every year, overhauls are not a yardstick for success. NSW have used 267 players and QLD 192 over the entire SOO concept. Overhauling the team is a problem, not a positive step, and the fact that QLD had to do it so emphatically this year should be concerning.

Don't congratulate yourself that the QLD media "fell in line" with the team changes. Who is going to criticise a 92% effective series winning organisation? Why bother criticising? Sit back and allow the proven formula to work.

Don't tell me NSWRL is arrogant when QLD have 10 of the Top 11 all-time match appearance players, 4 of those being active in 2017. Don't try that on when QLD have 6/7 all-time top try scorers (3 of the top 4 being active QLD players), when QLD have 7/11 all time top points scorers (4 of whom are active in 2017).

You have a golden generation and a system that lets them do their work. It might go for a while longer, it might not, but try not to cast too much superiority and judgement on the team that doesn't have the luxury of Australia's starting spine for the last 10 years, doesn't have the luxury of 4 regional teams (including Melbourne, let's count apples with apples) instead of 11, to foster player coherence, doesn't have the luxury of leaning heavily on the success and unique advantages of the Broncos and Storm.

Don't forget so easily that NSW won 10 of the 16 series between 1990 and 2005, including 2 draws where QLD retained the shield, and 2 x three-peats. Don't forget the concern and anxiety that stakeholders had when they considered the possibility that NSW might achieve a long-term dynasty that could kill off the golden cash cow that is Origin.

Be happy that the ratings remain strong, the interest remains strong, despite NSW being consistently belted. Be happy that the platform exists for you to laud your superior team. Take some time to consider the fact that QLD have never won an Under 20s SOO GAME in 6 attempts and whether that might have implications for your Opens side in the future.

Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 227 times
Been liked: 348 times

Unread post by Geo. » Fri 21 Jul, 2017 3:49 pm

As long as Queensland supporters are content in their bubble..it's all good...
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
Tiger Watto wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:07 am
Geo nailed it...

steve-o
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 27 times

Unread post by steve-o » Fri 21 Jul, 2017 4:43 pm

Too often NSW is compared to Qld as the benchmark without considering the underlying differences between the two states. For example, for years we were told NSW didn't show enough loyalty like Qld. Can we finally put the "Qld has loyalty" line away after dropping long termers like Thaiday, myles, guerra, lillyman etc? Qld have always had a smaller player pool to pick from, and within this current crop they have a bunch of players that are head and shoulders above other potential qld players. So it's pretty easy to be loyal in this circumstance. NSW on the other hand have a much larger player pool with a bunch of players at the same level, so of course there are going to be a lot more changes when you can only select 17 players each game, and the pressure I win is so high.
Secondly, let's look at the differences in the media between the two states. Sydney is the media capital of Australia, and has a much larger population than Brisbane, so already you're going to have more journalists and media reports on the NSW team, as well as a lot more differing opinions. Secondly, Sydney/NSW simply doesn't love rugby league the same way Queensland does. Sure, rugby league is still the number one code, but not to the same extent as it is up north. The demographics in Sydney are a lot more diverse in Sydney, so you've got a lot of people who are interested in other sports such as soccer, afl, & union, plus a bunch of people not interested in sport at all. Compare this to queensland where they have a much higher % of people who live and breathe rugby league, particularly around origin time. So back to the media, the diversity of people and interests in Sydney mean media companies like news corp have to work a lot harder to sell papers by putting out headlines like "blues in crisis". The courier mail on the other hand can basically sell itself with any puff piece about queensland.

So whilst a lot of what stryker has said is true, there's also a lot of differences between the states that are rarely acknowledged. We really are comparing apples with oranges here
Year of last finals appearance:
2017 - Storm, Roosters, Broncos, Eels, Sharks, Sea Eagles, Panthers, Cowboys
2016 - Raiders, Bulldogs, Titans
2015 - Rabbitohs, Dragons
2013 - Knights
2011 - Tigers, Warriors

stryker

Unread post by stryker » Fri 21 Jul, 2017 6:58 pm

jirskyr wrote:
Fri 21 Jul, 2017 3:15 pm
Oh please, what a tired concept.

Save me your winner's amateur psychology and patronising "you can do better, I can see where you went wrong" tripe. Leave it to NSW supporters to decide what NSW does next.

Of course NSW are struggling, we've lost 11/12 series. Of course there is derision, concern, conflict, contradiction. There are 7.5 million potentially invested newsouthwelshpeople giving their 2c on this topic, vs 4.7 banana benders. Or maybe that's the problem - maybe many NSW residents aren't invested in footy in the way QLDers are, and that impacts the representative side.

But don't tell me what QLD would never do, when you haven't actually ever had to do it. Don't tell me how you'd handle sustained adversity.

You overhauled the side once this series and now you are lauding yourself for having the guts to do it. Newsflash: NSW overhauls the team every year, overhauls are not a yardstick for success. NSW have used 267 players and QLD 192 over the entire SOO concept. Overhauling the team is a problem, not a positive step, and the fact that QLD had to do it so emphatically this year should be concerning.

Don't congratulate yourself that the QLD media "fell in line" with the team changes. Who is going to criticise a 92% effective series winning organisation? Why bother criticising? Sit back and allow the proven formula to work.

Don't tell me NSWRL is arrogant when QLD have 10 of the Top 11 all-time match appearance players, 4 of those being active in 2017. Don't try that on when QLD have 6/7 all-time top try scorers (3 of the top 4 being active QLD players), when QLD have 7/11 all time top points scorers (4 of whom are active in 2017).

You have a golden generation and a system that lets them do their work. It might go for a while longer, it might not, but try not to cast too much superiority and judgement on the team that doesn't have the luxury of Australia's starting spine for the last 10 years, doesn't have the luxury of 4 regional teams (including Melbourne, let's count apples with apples) instead of 11, to foster player coherence, doesn't have the luxury of leaning heavily on the success and unique advantages of the Broncos and Storm.

Don't forget so easily that NSW won 10 of the 16 series between 1990 and 2005, including 2 draws where QLD retained the shield, and 2 x three-peats. Don't forget the concern and anxiety that stakeholders had when they considered the possibility that NSW might achieve a long-term dynasty that could kill off the golden cash cow that is Origin.

Be happy that the ratings remain strong, the interest remains strong, despite NSW being consistently belted. Be happy that the platform exists for you to laud your superior team. Take some time to consider the fact that QLD have never won an Under 20s SOO GAME in 6 attempts and whether that might have implications for your Opens side in the future.
That is a lot of typing to say absolutely nothing. Ive always thought you to be an utter dork who just happened across the game, not unlike that idiot on fox sports who tries to predict winners with his algorithms. You are no football man thats for sure so go back to your stats and super analyse everything with numbers without ever rteally watching the game properly. You are as bad as fat boy Geo when it comes to origin. You just do not understand what it is and never will.
FTR I was not gloating or offering advice at all, I have been in NSW the past 6 days and am shocked at the way your media and ex 'guru' players are behaving. Gus saying that he doesnt want any Panthers playing origin because of some mysterious 'bad culture' is ludicrous and smacks of sour grapes and arrogance. If NSW won the series he would be shouting the loudest of all that the culture had evolved and thats what won the day. Joey Johns popping veins but not prepared to have a go himself smacks of cowardice. I believe part of the problem rests right there. You've said nothing to change my mind.
Blaming the QLD spine for the loss is the easy way out. If our forwards hadnt stepped up the stars would not have shone, just as they didnt in game 1. The player of the series was a winger for christs sakes! The big 4 were great, but you dont win origins without all 17 having a red hot go.

Return to “State of Origin”