SOO Game 1 Referees

Tweed Tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

SOO Game 1 Referees

Post by Tweed Tiger » Tue 29 May, 2018 4:20 pm

Gerard Sutton and Ashley Klein will referee the 2018 Holden State of Origin I at the Melbourne Cricket Ground on Wednesday, June 6.

Nick Beashel and Brett Suttor will be touch judges for the match, while Steve Chiddy (Senior Review Official) and Ben Galea (Review Official) will operate the NRL Bunker.

Sutton has officiated in the past 10 State of Origin matches, while Klein refereed in the 2013 series.

The selections were made by the referees appointments committee, which includes Senior Manager Officiating Bernard Sutton, Officiating Head Coach Michael Maguire and Assistant Referees Coaches Russell Smith and Steve Carrall.

"We took into account form, consistency and experience when nominating the officiating group," Bernard Sutton said.

"Both the referees have been in excellent form over the opening rounds of the season and will take that form into the opening Origin game."

NRL Head of Football Brian Canavan said Sutton and Klein deserved to referee the opening Origin encounter.

"Gerard has refereed in three NRL Grand Finals, last year's World Cup Final, as well as every Origin match since Game Three of 2014," Canavan said.

"Ashley has refereed three Super League Grand Finals, a Challenge Cup Final as well as a World Cup final.

"They are the form referees and clearly have big-game experience. I congratulate all the officials on their appointments."

The match officials for the first Holden State of Origin match, on June 6, are:

Referee: Gerard Sutton

Assist Referee: Ashley Klein

Senior Review Official: Steve Chiddy

Review Official: Ben Galea

Touch Judges: Nick Beashel, Brett Suttor

Standby Referee: Ben Cummins

Standby Touch Judge: Chris Butler

Russell

Post by Russell » Tue 29 May, 2018 4:34 pm

If they really did take into account form for the first half of the competition. No NRL referee would have been appointed.

They have all been pathetic!!!!! In fact with a capital "P".

The guy who refereed the Jets v Magpies on the weekend would have got the job.

Tweed Tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by Tweed Tiger » Thu 31 May, 2018 12:46 pm

MOLE WARNING

https://wwos.nine.com.au/2018/05/31/12/ ... alty-blitz

NRL to continue penalty blitz in State of Origin

THE NRL will continue its penalty blitz in State of Origin One in a move that has the potential to ruin the game as a spectacle.

Most critics assumed the penalty crackdown that has marred many games in the first third of the season would be put aside in Origin and the players would be allowed to play football without constant stoppages.

But referees boss Bernard Sutton has instructed the men in charge for the game next Wednesday night - Gerard Sutton and Ashley Klein - to continue to penalise players for the smallest infractions of the rules.

“The refs were hoping to get a bit of leeway and keep the whistles in their pocket and let the players show their skills because Origin is such a huge rating game and is watched by so many people,” a source told WWOS after the referees held a meeting yesterday.

“Bernard Sutton is determined to keep up the big penalty counts and sin bins of necessary - he believes it is the way to go and has the backing of the NRL.

“It’s just a pity because there is a real chance that it will spoil the game for the fans and frustrate the players.

“It will be all stop-start and blokes taking shots at goal… that’s not what rugby league should be about.”

Tweed Tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by Tweed Tiger » Thu 31 May, 2018 12:49 pm

Dodgy that Matt Cecchin got dropped for these two, one the brother of the Referee boss and Klein thinks he is the main star of the game.

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Thu 31 May, 2018 12:53 pm

Sutton and the clown, what a joke. I bet they have Cummins and Henry on standby as next cabs off the rank.

I might get howled down but in 2018 I think Badger has been the best

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Thu 31 May, 2018 1:01 pm

Klein 2nd best

I'VE HEARD IT ALL NOW LOL

Russell

Post by Russell » Thu 31 May, 2018 1:40 pm

The NRL is getting further and further away from what sport is supposed to be about.

Rules and fairness to both sides - I thought. Obviously I am incorrect.

“It’s just a pity because there is a real chance that it will spoil the game for the fans and frustrate the players.

“It will be all stop-start and blokes taking shots at goal… that’s not what rugby league should be about.”

Let's just have "Rafferty's Rules" let whoever cheat - just get on with the game.

LARDS

Post by LARDS » Thu 31 May, 2018 2:57 pm

Seems that Klein has served his punishment for the biggest refereeing blunder of the season.
Or is he now receiving his reward for the "blunder"?

Demps

Post by Demps » Thu 31 May, 2018 6:00 pm

Klein is a joke
#Unbeatable

"I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid" - John Gotti

Wests Tigers Forum's most brilliant mind.

bathursttiger

Post by bathursttiger » Thu 31 May, 2018 6:03 pm

supercoach wrote:
Thu 31 May, 2018 12:53 pm
Sutton and the clown, what a joke. I bet they have Cummins and Henry on standby as next cabs off the rank.

I might get howled down but in 2018 I think Badger has been the best
I have come to like Badg best of a bad lot.

Tweed Tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by Tweed Tiger » Sat 02 Jun, 2018 11:10 pm