Qld assessment

goldcoast tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 6124
Joined: Sat 12 Apr, 2014 5:42 pm

Re: Qld assessment

Post by goldcoast tiger » Mon 25 Jun, 2018 7:27 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Mon 25 Jun, 2018 5:53 pm
innsaneink wrote:
Mon 25 Jun, 2018 5:39 pm
happy tiger wrote:
Mon 25 Jun, 2018 5:36 pm
WestsBenTigers wrote:
Mon 25 Jun, 2018 5:04 pm
If I were a Queensland selector for 2019:

1. Ponga
2. Holmes
3. Mann
4. Gagai
5. Feldt
6. Munster
7. Taylor
8. McGuire
9. McCollough
10. Glasby
11. Kaufusi
12. Hess
13. Arrow

14. Oates
15. Papalii
16. Ofahengaue
17. Sua
Thank God your not a Qld selector
QLD gratitude...not bad eh?
Gratitude :roll :roll :roll :roll :roll :roll :roll :roll :roll :roll :roll :roll :roll :roll :roll :roll :roll :roll


goldcoast tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 6124
Joined: Sat 12 Apr, 2014 5:42 pm

Post by goldcoast tiger » Mon 25 Jun, 2018 7:34 pm

goldcoast tiger wrote:
Mon 25 Jun, 2018 7:00 am
McCullough was pretty ordinary IMO
, just like Game I
As for Ponga, fair enough, he made a good break , but it was when rhe defence was tired, .
When he has to play a full game , then we can decide if he’s a freak in SOO or not, ln fairness to him though, why did they play him the way they did,
Walters wasted a bench spot on the worlds smallest forward,
It looked like Ponga didn’t have a clue on what his job was,
And I don’t thing Walters did either.
By the way,
Cronk is GONSki, along with Smith, Thurston,and Slater will be too , after the next game,can’t rely on them anymore.
Unlike them , Slater at least stayed And tried to help with some kind of succession.
The rest bailed , :D

Is Walters the next to go.

Hope not, he was excellent,
Please keep him.............Please.

LARDS
Member
Member
Posts: 552
Joined: Sun 12 Jul, 2009 8:25 pm

Post by LARDS » Mon 25 Jun, 2018 7:48 pm

TIGER wrote:
Mon 25 Jun, 2018 4:42 pm
Gotta love Pongas interview after the game, he was asked by Joey I think what the difference was between origin and club football and I think Joey was expecting him to say something like "oh mate it's crazy it's way different, so fast so tough" etc but he just casually says, not much really, basically saying i dont know what all the fuss is about, just shot down the whole hype around SOO and how much faster tougher bigger better it is.
This kid acted like it was no big deal, that's what you want to hear as a Qld supporter, it didn't phase him one bit.
He handled it easily, played in the middle out of position, made 30 tackles on debut and comes off saying "is that it?".
He's scary how good he's gonna be.

From a very scared NSW supporter.
It's hard not to like the bloke.
I was at the game last night and when they were calling out the Queensland team before the match every name received loudspeaker boos except ponga. He actually received cheers from the nsw crowd.
I hope it doesn't happen but Queensland will probably turn him into a tosser eventually or least we'll start to hate him when he starts carving us up.

happy tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 40477
Joined: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:49 pm

Post by happy tiger » Mon 25 Jun, 2018 7:57 pm

The Patriot wrote:
Mon 25 Jun, 2018 7:25 pm
happy tiger wrote:
Mon 25 Jun, 2018 7:12 pm
The Patriot wrote:
Mon 25 Jun, 2018 7:08 pm
happy tiger wrote:
Mon 25 Jun, 2018 7:06 pm


Cavill Heugh

Where did that come from ??

Brisbane Easts loser almost as bad as Gavin Jones

They are dead set fighting words lol.

Heugh and Jones were legends. As were LeMan, Patterson and Bella. E
Stirring old Watto up if he is still about

Had the pleasure of being related by marriage to Wayne Lindenberg , he could play

Watto is MIA

Lindenberg was my era, i was more Steve Stacey on the wing kind of guy
You lost a lot of GF's to my Panthers , was at the 1976 GF , Johnny Payne kicked a FG to lead 1-0 , Wests went on to win 16-1

John Ribot scored that day

Arguably Wests Golden Age , Greg Oliphant (went to Balmain ) ,Harry Cameron from the Roosters , Geoff Richardson was a dual international , Wayne Stewart played for Australia , the Williamson brothers Max and Bill , Rod Bradshaw , Richie Twist (Jason Twist's dad ) absolute superstar , Greg McCarthy , Gary Prickett (true ranga ,tough as they came )

Easts from memory had Greg Holben , the Morris brothers Des and Rod (Balmain player ) ,Lindenberg ,Johnny Lang , possibly Jeff Denman ,Geoff Naylor played for Balmain as well from memory

Here's some footage

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=19 ... &FORM=VIRE

User avatar
cktiger
Member
Member
Posts: 3485
Joined: Fri 12 Nov, 2010 10:37 am

Post by cktiger » Mon 25 Jun, 2018 8:01 pm

LARDS wrote:
Mon 25 Jun, 2018 7:48 pm
TIGER wrote:
Mon 25 Jun, 2018 4:42 pm
Gotta love Pongas interview after the game, he was asked by Joey I think what the difference was between origin and club football and I think Joey was expecting him to say something like "oh mate it's crazy it's way different, so fast so tough" etc but he just casually says, not much really, basically saying i dont know what all the fuss is about, just shot down the whole hype around SOO and how much faster tougher bigger better it is.
This kid acted like it was no big deal, that's what you want to hear as a Qld supporter, it didn't phase him one bit.
He handled it easily, played in the middle out of position, made 30 tackles on debut and comes off saying "is that it?".
He's scary how good he's gonna be.

From a very scared NSW supporter.
It's hard not to like the bloke.
I was at the game last night and when they were calling out the Queensland team before the match every name received loudspeaker boos except ponga. He actually received cheers from the nsw crowd.
I hope it doesn't happen but Queensland will probably turn him into a tosser eventually or least we'll start to hate him when he starts carving us up.
He’s a Queenslander .... born a tosser.


User avatar
Harvey
Member
Member
Posts: 3619
Joined: Mon 22 Jun, 2015 10:01 pm
Location: Leumeah

Post by Harvey » Mon 25 Jun, 2018 8:10 pm

Can't work out how Cooper got selected. His only role is as a sidekick to Thurston.

happy tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 40477
Joined: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:49 pm

Post by happy tiger » Mon 25 Jun, 2018 8:18 pm

Patriot can still remember a game at Purtell Park in 78 ?? , when the clock actually stopped and the players didn't know

Wests Captain Coach was Ron Raper , Johnny youngest brother , he took a shot at goal with Wests down 8-4 thinking 15 minutes were left but actually were only a few minutes left

Great memories for this black duck

Wests bought some premierships in the 70's but paid for it in the long term

My Uncle switched clubs to play with his Brisbane State High mates in about 77 at Easts , he was about as popular as the Nazis were in the 30-40's in our household

Remember seeing him playing a Colts GF v Police Academy at Bishop Park , coached by Bennett

Gavin Jones was one of his best men at his wedding

happy tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 40477
Joined: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:49 pm

Post by happy tiger » Mon 25 Jun, 2018 8:23 pm

Footage of 1975 GF Wests v Redcliffe , was a 6 year old at this one

For you young NSW supporters the bloke interviewed before the game was Barry Muir , the man who coined you blokes "Cockroaches "

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=19 ... &FORM=VIRE

User avatar
Geo.
Member
Member
Posts: 29179
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 10:55 pm
Location: Perugia Italy..

Post by Geo. » Mon 25 Jun, 2018 8:25 pm

Watto is in a corner sucking his thumb..rocking back and forth..why Kevvy why..
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

happy tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 40477
Joined: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:49 pm

Post by happy tiger » Mon 25 Jun, 2018 8:40 pm

Just learnt something new , didn't realize that you blokes still picked Qlders to play City v Country up until 1984

goldcoast tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 6124
Joined: Sat 12 Apr, 2014 5:42 pm

Post by goldcoast tiger » Mon 25 Jun, 2018 9:08 pm

After watching most of a replay this afternoon,
I wonder why there’s so many saying that the future for Qld isn’t to
Bad.
Ponga is getting rave reviews, for a performance that was reasonable at best despite having an extra player for the last 10 minutes of the game,

However even with Gaining Ponga, (balanced by losing arguably the best Qld full back in SOO history)
There is a much bigger downside to their near future,
Just a quick at their performances show that the replacements that they needed aren’t yet unearthed.

Halfback,......... Hunt proved to be extremely unreliable in key moments in big games ..... probably Gone with no standout replacement. Maybe Morgan if he comes back the same as before
Taylor the best of small bunch after that.

Centre...........Chambers. highy regarded until this series, but shown up by Mitchel, and plays with his mouth more than not. Probably Was safe at the moment,I
Inglis
Ok at the moment, but Slower than he was, good defence though needs to find someone after next year at best,
No one stands out

5/8....... ok there unless an injury to Munster , then not much
Milford is lucky to be in first grade let alone SOO

Wings...........ok there with Holmes and Gagai , possibly room forOates if needed , or on the bench,

Back rowers........Napa needs to learn something apart from trying big hits which only come off every now and them, possibly safe

Cooper showing signs of being over it.
Wallace hasn’t shown much enthusiasm for SOO
Arrow looks like he’s going to stay
McGuire probably one of the best at the moment
But he’s good for a few stupid penalties in every game
Kaufusi by far the best of the Qlders in both games
And is safe
Hess has dropped off badly this year and has been
a major disappointment as has the Canberra second rower (can’t remember his name), played well in game 1 , but can’t remember seeing him on the field last night

Mc Cullough is about the best Hooker that’s available
And is no guaranteed pick

I don’t care who wins game three, It’s difficult to win all three for anyone , but Qld have much more problems than a Ponga can help, and I can’t see where the better players are,

Especially after listening to the residents game yesterday, where Qld got pasted
Some of the out of form Qlders such as Hess, Wallace etc, May aim up next year, but they’ll have to as the better replacements just aren’t jumping out of the woodwork

happy tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 40477
Joined: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:49 pm

Post by happy tiger » Mon 25 Jun, 2018 9:21 pm

goldcoast tiger wrote:
Mon 25 Jun, 2018 9:08 pm
After watching most of a replay this afternoon,
I wonder why there’s so many saying that the future for Qld isn’t to
Bad.
Ponga is getting rave reviews, for a performance that was reasonable at best despite having an extra player for the last 10 minutes of the game,

However even with Gaining Ponga, (balanced by losing arguably the best Qld full back in SOO history)
There is a much bigger downside to their near future,
Just a quick at their performances show that the replacements that they needed aren’t yet unearthed.

Halfback,......... Hunt proved to be extremely unreliable in key moments in big games ..... probably Gone with no standout replacement. Maybe Morgan if he comes back the same as before
Taylor the best of small bunch after that.

Centre...........Chambers. highy regarded until this series, but shown up by Mitchel, and plays with his mouth more than not. Probably Was safe at the moment,I
Inglis
Ok at the moment, but Slower than he was, good defence though needs to find someone after next year at best,
No one stands out

5/8....... ok there unless an injury to Munster , then not much
Milford is lucky to be in first grade let alone SOO

Wings...........ok there with Holmes and Gagai , possibly room forOates if needed , or on the bench,

Back rowers........Napa needs to learn something apart from trying big hits which only come off every now and them, possibly safe

Cooper showing signs of being over it.
Wallace hasn’t shown much enthusiasm for SOO
Arrow looks like he’s going to stay
McGuire probably one of the best at the moment
But he’s good for a few stupid penalties in every game
Kaufusi by far the best of the Qlders in both games
And is safe
Hess has dropped off badly this year and has been
a major disappointment as has the Canberra second rower (can’t remember his name), played well in game 1 , but can’t remember seeing him on the field last night

Mc Cullough is about the best Hooker that’s available
And is no guaranteed pick

I don’t care who wins game three, It’s difficult to win all three for anyone , but Qld have much more problems than a Ponga can help, and I can’t see where the better players are,

Especially after listening to the residents game yesterday, where Qld got pasted
Some of the out of form Qlders such as Hess, Wallace etc, May aim up next year, but they’ll have to as the better replacements just aren’t jumping out of the woodwork
Better watch again , Napa is a prop :brick:

User avatar
WestsBenTigers
Member
Member
Posts: 1704
Joined: Wed 05 Oct, 2016 11:14 am

Post by WestsBenTigers » Mon 25 Jun, 2018 9:24 pm

goldcoast tiger wrote:
Mon 25 Jun, 2018 9:08 pm
After watching most of a replay this afternoon,
I wonder why there’s so many saying that the future for Qld isn’t to
Bad.
Ponga is getting rave reviews, for a performance that was reasonable at best despite having an extra player for the last 10 minutes of the game,

However even with Gaining Ponga, (balanced by losing arguably the best Qld full back in SOO history)
There is a much bigger downside to their near future,
Just a quick at their performances show that the replacements that they needed aren’t yet unearthed.

Halfback,......... Hunt proved to be extremely unreliable in key moments in big games ..... probably Gone with no standout replacement. Maybe Morgan if he comes back the same as before
Taylor the best of small bunch after that.

Centre...........Chambers. highy regarded until this series, but shown up by Mitchel, and plays with his mouth more than not. Probably Was safe at the moment,I
Inglis
Ok at the moment, but Slower than he was, good defence though needs to find someone after next year at best,
No one stands out

5/8....... ok there unless an injury to Munster , then not much
Milford is lucky to be in first grade let alone SOO

Wings...........ok there with Holmes and Gagai , possibly room forOates if needed , or on the bench,

Back rowers........Napa needs to learn something apart from trying big hits which only come off every now and them, possibly safe

Cooper showing signs of being over it.
Wallace hasn’t shown much enthusiasm for SOO
Arrow looks like he’s going to stay
McGuire probably one of the best at the moment
But he’s good for a few stupid penalties in every game
Kaufusi by far the best of the Qlders in both games
And is safe
Hess has dropped off badly this year and has been
a major disappointment as has the Canberra second rower (can’t remember his name), played well in game 1 , but can’t remember seeing him on the field last night

Mc Cullough is about the best Hooker that’s available
And is no guaranteed pick

I don’t care who wins game three, It’s difficult to win all three for anyone , but Qld have much more problems than a Ponga can help, and I can’t see where the better players are,

Especially after listening to the residents game yesterday, where Qld got pasted
Some of the out of form Qlders such as Hess, Wallace etc, May aim up next year, but they’ll have to as the better replacements just aren’t jumping out of the woodwork
I think all those comments are fair and reasonable

Great news for NSW fans!

User avatar
steve-o
Member
Member
Posts: 1895
Joined: Tue 14 Sep, 2010 4:27 pm
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Post by steve-o » Mon 25 Jun, 2018 9:35 pm

WestsBenTigers wrote:
Mon 25 Jun, 2018 5:04 pm
If I were a Queensland selector for 2019:

1. Ponga
2. Holmes
3. Mann
4. Gagai
5. Feldt
6. Munster
7. Taylor
8. McGuire
9. McCollough
10. Glasby
11. Kaufusi
12. Hess
13. Arrow

14. Oates
15. Papalii
16. Ofahengaue
17. Sua
Kurt Mann!? Surely you jest... he stinks! Chambers hasn’t had a great series but he is miles ahead of what Mann will ever be
Year of last finals appearance:
2018 - Storm, Roosters, Rabbitohs, Sharks, Panthers, Broncos, Dragons, Warriors
2017 - Eels, Sea Eagles, Cowboys
2016 - Raiders, Bulldogs, Titans
2013 - Knights
2011 - Tigers

TCL
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 2232
Joined: Mon 29 Aug, 2016 8:52 am

Post by TCL » Mon 25 Jun, 2018 9:36 pm

Hunt will have a blinder next game. It was a tough game infront of a big NSW crowed.

I am shocked at how Qld has turned on him. What happened to the QLD love?

User avatar
steve-o
Member
Member
Posts: 1895
Joined: Tue 14 Sep, 2010 4:27 pm
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Post by steve-o » Mon 25 Jun, 2018 9:38 pm

Something that hasn’t really been discussed... does Kevie survive the axe as coach?
Year of last finals appearance:
2018 - Storm, Roosters, Rabbitohs, Sharks, Panthers, Broncos, Dragons, Warriors
2017 - Eels, Sea Eagles, Cowboys
2016 - Raiders, Bulldogs, Titans
2013 - Knights
2011 - Tigers

happy tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 40477
Joined: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:49 pm

Post by happy tiger » Mon 25 Jun, 2018 10:31 pm

steve-o wrote:
Mon 25 Jun, 2018 9:38 pm
Something that hasn’t really been discussed... does Kevie survive the axe as coach?
Be extremely surprised if he is sacked after one series lost

How many goes did Lozza get ??

goldcoast tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 6124
Joined: Sat 12 Apr, 2014 5:42 pm

Post by goldcoast tiger » Mon 25 Jun, 2018 10:34 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Mon 25 Jun, 2018 9:21 pm
goldcoast tiger wrote:
Mon 25 Jun, 2018 9:08 pm
After watching most of a replay this afternoon,
I wonder why there’s so many saying that the future for Qld isn’t to
Bad.
Ponga is getting rave reviews, for a performance that was reasonable at best despite having an extra player for the last 10 minutes of the game,

However even with Gaining Ponga, (balanced by losing arguably the best Qld full back in SOO history)
There is a much bigger downside to their near future,
Just a quick at their performances show that the replacements that they needed aren’t yet unearthed.

Halfback,......... Hunt proved to be extremely unreliable in key moments in big games ..... probably Gone with no standout replacement. Maybe Morgan if he comes back the same as before
Taylor the best of small bunch after that.

Centre...........Chambers. highy regarded until this series, but shown up by Mitchel, and plays with his mouth more than not. Probably Was safe at the moment,I
Inglis
Ok at the moment, but Slower than he was, good defence though needs to find someone after next year at best,
No one stands out

5/8....... ok there unless an injury to Munster , then not much
Milford is lucky to be in first grade let alone SOO

Wings...........ok there with Holmes and Gagai , possibly room forOates if needed , or on the bench,

Back rowers........Napa needs to learn something apart from trying big hits which only come off every now and them, possibly safe

Cooper showing signs of being over it.
Wallace hasn’t shown much enthusiasm for SOO
Arrow looks like he’s going to stay
McGuire probably one of the best at the moment
But he’s good for a few stupid penalties in every game
Kaufusi by far the best of the Qlders in both games
And is safe
Hess has dropped off badly this year and has been
a major disappointment as has the Canberra second rower (can’t remember his name), played well in game 1 , but can’t remember seeing him on the field last night

Mc Cullough is about the best Hooker that’s available
And is no guaranteed pick

I don’t care who wins game three, It’s difficult to win all three for anyone , but Qld have much more problems than a Ponga can help, and I can’t see where the better players are,

Especially after listening to the residents game yesterday, where Qld got pasted
Some of the out of form Qlders such as Hess, Wallace etc, May aim up next year, but they’ll have to as the better replacements just aren’t jumping out of the woodwork
Better watch again , Napa is a prop :brick:
Right person , wrong position in post

Post Reply