After last nights Trials

Previous Rounds and Seasons discussions and an archive of threads and posts
BenjiMagic96

After last nights Trials

Post by BenjiMagic96 » Sun 17 Feb, 2013 2:52 pm

After last nights trials I am pretty sure Potter has come closer to making his decision for the starting side, what would yours look like.

1. Moltzen/Teddy
2. Marika Koroibete
3. Chris Lawrence
4. Blake Ayshford
5. Rory Brien

Definitely has more speed than what we had before, Rory Brien is a great player with speed still young and captained the Parra NYC squad.

6. Benji Marshall
7. Jacob Miller

No complaints about yesterdays game, both were at there best and destroyed the eels.

8. Keith Galloway
9. Robbie Farah
10. Aaron Woods

Forwards went pretty well last year and were the highlight of our season, won't make any changes.

11. Braith Anasta
12. Eddy Pettybourne
13. Adam Blair

Anasta and Pettybourne have been really good buys so far hope they can keep up the good work. Blair may have found his new position for 2013 at lock.

14. Jack Buchanan
15. Ben Murdoch Masila
16. Liam Fulton
17. Big T

Fulton will also play a Utlity role.

BenjiMagic96

Post by BenjiMagic96 » Sun 17 Feb, 2013 2:55 pm

By the way I just found this about Brien a while back but he would not of changed much, he left Parra because of no game time and in his contract it said he will train with the FG squad but he didn't.

http://forums.rleague.com/showthread.ph ... Rory-Brien

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sun 17 Feb, 2013 3:39 pm

Brien won't get a gig ahead of Utai

BenjiMagic96

Post by BenjiMagic96 » Sun 17 Feb, 2013 3:43 pm

I did not say it will happen :S I said I want it to happen because of the lack of speed on that side, when we vs the Dragons if Brett Morris makes a break we are gone neither Ayshford or Utai have the speed to run him down. THis goes for any other side we vs.

tig_prmz

Post by tig_prmz » Sun 17 Feb, 2013 3:45 pm

sucks that fulton won't be able to be in the starting line up. he was really our 2nd best forward last year after woods. always seems to be getting the chop despite trying his guts out day in day out.
My Round 1 Team 2018

1. lolo 2. noffa 3. suli 4. milne 5. fonua
6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal
11. McQuen 12. Lawrence 13. Eiso
14. Matulino 15. McIllwrick 16. Sue 17. Aloiai
18. Marsters 19. Benji 20. Grant 21. K Naiqama
Next: Liddle, MCK, Felise, MWZ, Thompson, Rochow, Gamble

alex

Post by alex » Sun 17 Feb, 2013 3:48 pm

I wasn't at the game last night but from every report Utai was one of our best. With Lawrence and Koro in the backline there's some decent speed there, throw in Teddy and its well balanced. Don't think Brien is close to a call up, Nofo is definitely next in line, as well as a returning Tuqiri

Posted using RoarFEED 2013

BenjiMagic96

Post by BenjiMagic96 » Sun 17 Feb, 2013 4:13 pm

They are on opposite sides of the field...

LCA

Post by LCA » Sun 17 Feb, 2013 7:01 pm

I posted elsewhere about being surrounded by die hard Parra fans last night and I can tell you they ridiculed Rory O'Brien as too slow and not up first grade player at this stage. Not that i trust their warped view of the world but, having sat through the NSW Cup game, I would not replace Utai with Rory O'Brien for Round 1.

Snake

Post by Snake » Sun 17 Feb, 2013 8:10 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:Brien won't get a gig ahead of Utai
IMO Utai's days of a first string wing starter are over....his potential is with reserve grade and a great replacement for injury. If Coach Potter is serious there are better options for that position.

Fade To Black

Post by Fade To Black » Sun 17 Feb, 2013 8:23 pm

Snake wrote:
IMO Utai's days of a first string wing starter are over....his potential is with reserve grade and a great replacement for injury. If Coach Potter is serious there are better options for that position.
Utai was far and away our most consistent back last season, he has earned his spot IMO. Until Noafaluma or another youngster is blooded and handles the step up to the top level I would go with Utai, he is a goer and in the past we haven't had too many of those type players.

BenjiMagic96

Post by BenjiMagic96 » Sun 17 Feb, 2013 8:25 pm

Guys please share your opinions of the bench.

MacDougall

Post by MacDougall » Sun 17 Feb, 2013 8:33 pm

I would have 2 permanent benchies in Bell and Fulton and use the other two positions rotating Ava, Taqele, Mosese, Buchanan and Thompson until we see who the most effective is and stick with them.

BenjiMagic96

Post by BenjiMagic96 » Sun 17 Feb, 2013 8:36 pm

MacDougall wrote:I would have 2 permanent benchies in Bell and Fulton and use the other two positions rotating Ava, Taqele, Mosese, Buchanan and Thompson until we see who the most effective is and stick with them.
I agree with you but I think Buchanan should also be a permanent, never know what happens to our side we may lose another 2 props (hopefully not) so at least we would have Buchanan with a bit of experience good player too.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sun 17 Feb, 2013 8:37 pm

Snake wrote:
I don't know about that, Utai was in our top 3 as form players go. There may well indeed may be better options but Rory Brien isn't one of them, not come round 1 anyway

BenjiMagic96

Post by BenjiMagic96 » Sun 17 Feb, 2013 8:39 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Snake wrote:
I don't know about that, Utai was in our top 3 as form players go. There may well indeed may be better options but Rory Brien isn't one of them, not come round 1 anyway
I would not mind having Nofofalauma or Simona on that wing, as long as there is some speed there.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sun 17 Feb, 2013 9:58 pm

Fade To Black wrote:
Snake wrote:
Utai was far and away our most consistent back last season, he has earned his spot IMO. Until Noafaluma or another youngster is blooded and handles the step up to the top level I would go with Utai, he is a goer and in the past we haven't had too many of those type players.
Agree totally
Hes not perfect but he gets our sets off to a good start from kick returns.....thered be no better defensive winger in the joint imo....he only lacks some pace & height....the dogs back three arent particularly big and Turner in particular isnt too quick....its not the be all and end all

bob56

Post by bob56 » Sun 17 Feb, 2013 11:20 pm

BenjiMagic96 wrote:After last nights trials I am pretty sure Potter has come closer to making his decision for the starting side, what would yours look like.

1. Moltzen/Teddy
2. Marika Koroibete
3. Chris Lawrence
4. Blake Ayshford
5. Rory Brien

Definitely has more speed than what we had before, Rory Brien is a great player with speed still young and captained the Parra NYC squad.

6. Benji Marshall
7. Jacob Miller

No complaints about yesterdays game, both were at there best and destroyed the eels.

8. Keith Galloway
9. Robbie Farah
10. Aaron Woods

Forwards went pretty well last year and were the highlight of our season, won't make any changes.

11. Braith Anasta
12. Eddy Pettybourne
13. Adam Blair

Anasta and Pettybourne have been really good buys so far hope they can keep up the good work. Blair may have found his new position for 2013 at lock.

14. Jack Buchanan
15. Ben Murdoch Masila
16. Liam Fulton
17. Big T

Fulton will also play a Utlity role.
Amazing how you think BMM will automatically be on the bench, he was so poor in reggies, the only happy person would be Fletcher, hopping you are right.

turnstyle
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right. Yep. Brisbane.

Post by turnstyle » Sun 17 Feb, 2013 11:40 pm

i havent seen the trial either, but from last year, and a bit the previous, i became a big utai fan. just love to see the "possessed wombat" burrowing in and working the oppo forwards from dummy half. sure, he is not the eye catching winger with lightning pace, and often bad under a high ball, but in the tigers side i think he evens things out and is very worthy of his spot.