Greatest Wests Tigers matches?

Previous Rounds and Seasons discussions and an archive of threads and posts
User avatar
markotiger
Member
Member
Posts: 126
Joined: Mon 07 Feb, 2011 3:43 pm

Greatest Wests Tigers matches?

Post by markotiger » Tue 05 Apr, 2011 1:12 pm

Hey guys, i havent been following the NRL with as much passion as i now have for too long (maybe 2 years) and i would like to go back and watch previous matches of the Wests tigers when they were in their prime and playing really well.

So if there were any MUST watch matches back in the day let me know here and i will get around to watching them.

Thanks guys!


happy tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 41161
Joined: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:49 pm

Post by happy tiger » Tue 05 Apr, 2011 1:44 pm

Stand outs for me 2005 first semi against Cowboys 2005 Semi against Saints .2001 ??? win against Kinights down 32-4 with 35 to go and won 38-36 . Other that comes to mind was game after Hoppa incident when we flogged Storm 2001 also I think

User avatar
Kul
Member
Member
Posts: 5936
Joined: Sat 04 Jul, 2009 12:24 am
Location: London

Post by Kul » Tue 05 Apr, 2011 1:59 pm

2005 Semi against St George - best and greatest win ever
2001 (or was it 02) comeback against the Knights at Campbelltown
2002 Parra game at Leichhardt in Round 2. Mark O'Neil intercept!
2004 World 7's and Benji tearing teams a new one!
Founder - WestsTigersForum.com

User avatar
Yossarian
Member
Member
Posts: 9754
Joined: Sat 11 Jul, 2009 7:46 pm
Location: Central Coast

Post by Yossarian » Tue 05 Apr, 2011 2:35 pm

Any win over Souths, especially the floggings in 2002? at the SFS when we were up 24-0 after 20 minutes.
The wins at Gosford over the Dogs and Melbourne.
The Sharks game at Cronulla in 2005.
All the finals but especially that St George game. Best atmosphere ever.

User avatar
Bazzinator
Member
Member
Posts: 1240
Joined: Tue 09 Feb, 2010 8:18 pm

Post by Bazzinator » Tue 05 Apr, 2011 2:44 pm

even the dogs game rd 3 05 37-36 and the roosters game the week after


happy tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 41161
Joined: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:49 pm

Post by happy tiger » Tue 05 Apr, 2011 2:46 pm

Yossarian wrote:Any win over Souths, especially the floggings in 2002? at the SFS when we were up 24-0 after 20 minutes.
The wins at Gosford over the Dogs and Melbourne.
The Sharks game at Cronulla in 2005.
All the finals but especially that St George game. Best atmosphere ever.
Hey Yoss was the Melbourne game at Gosford the one were Lawrence got a double . Benji did shoulder again and Fitzhenry was fullback and had a good game (OMG) and we won about 28-12 ?? That was a good one

User avatar
underdog
Member
Member
Posts: 5324
Joined: Tue 27 Apr, 2010 5:25 pm
Location: Gold Coast

Post by underdog » Tue 05 Apr, 2011 3:09 pm

some of our more entertaining big wins in more recent times:

tigers v warriors 2010 6-4 down 39 minutes in, won 50-6. entertaining also for the commentary - as nines B troop were on it - vossy, johns and fittler.
tiger v cronulla 2009 - just an exhibition of the tigers brilliance in attack - won 56-10

old school:

tigers dogs - 54-2 in 2005 - we were up something like 40-0 at halftime.
tigers 12-10 winners over brisbane at lang park in the wet when we wers massively outgunned - think that was 2003 or 2004
Image

User avatar
Yossarian
Member
Member
Posts: 9754
Joined: Sat 11 Jul, 2009 7:46 pm
Location: Central Coast

Post by Yossarian » Tue 05 Apr, 2011 3:50 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Yossarian wrote:Any win over Souths, especially the floggings in 2002? at the SFS when we were up 24-0 after 20 minutes.
The wins at Gosford over the Dogs and Melbourne.
The Sharks game at Cronulla in 2005.
All the finals but especially that St George game. Best atmosphere ever.
Hey Yoss was the Melbourne game at Gosford the one were Lawrence got a double . Benji did shoulder again and Fitzhenry was fullback and had a good game (OMG) and we won about 28-12 ?? That was a good one
Yeah that's it. And Collis kicked a thousand goals. I think it was a bit closer but I could be wrong. I remember we were up by a good score and the Storm (who were undefeated at the time) closed enough to make everyone nervous in the second half. Ryan Hoffman may have cried after the game...

User avatar
markotiger
Member
Member
Posts: 126
Joined: Mon 07 Feb, 2011 3:43 pm

Post by markotiger » Tue 05 Apr, 2011 4:00 pm

Thanks guys! will be watching some of these! especially ones of more recent times 2005 to present so i know most of the players then and see what they are like today.

User avatar
Yossarian
Member
Member
Posts: 9754
Joined: Sat 11 Jul, 2009 7:46 pm
Location: Central Coast

Post by Yossarian » Tue 05 Apr, 2011 4:08 pm

Get the 2005 season review DVD if you can.

supercoach
Member
Member
Posts: 7164
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 2:38 pm

Post by supercoach » Tue 05 Apr, 2011 4:31 pm

Yossarian wrote:Get the 2005 season review DVD if you can.
The best dvd ever made

happy tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 41161
Joined: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:49 pm

Post by happy tiger » Tue 05 Apr, 2011 4:34 pm

Can you still get them . Asked wife to get one 4 Xmas in 05 and she got grand final instead oh well If you can still get who would have them

User avatar
Cysquatch
Member
Member
Posts: 316
Joined: Tue 20 Apr, 2010 4:56 pm

Post by Cysquatch » Tue 05 Apr, 2011 4:34 pm

one game at parra stadium years ago where we got up 18-16 (i think). that was a good one, think schifofske? had a conversion after the siren to level it but it hit the crossbar if memory serves. just remember going ape when it was waved off!

i think that was the game where hill buried vealeki's? head into the ground
by Novocastrian Tiger » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:34 pm
Is it just me, or do alot of posts on this forum end up being like a pee pee measuring contest?

User avatar
Yossarian
Member
Member
Posts: 9754
Joined: Sat 11 Jul, 2009 7:46 pm
Location: Central Coast

Post by Yossarian » Tue 05 Apr, 2011 4:52 pm

happy tiger wrote:Can you still get them . Asked wife to get one 4 Xmas in 05 and she got grand final instead oh well If you can still get who would have them
A month or two ago I'd say check out Borders. They never update their stock (part of the reason why they went belly-up). You can go to Big W and get them to check on their systems. I'm sure you could still buy one somewhere, you'd just need to hunt it down!

happy tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 41161
Joined: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:49 pm

Post by happy tiger » Tue 05 Apr, 2011 4:56 pm

Yossarian wrote:
happy tiger wrote:Can you still get them . Asked wife to get one 4 Xmas in 05 and she got grand final instead oh well If you can still get who would have them
A month or two ago I'd say check out Borders. They never update their stock (part of the reason why they went belly-up). You can go to Big W and get them to check on their systems. I'm sure you could still buy one somewhere, you'd just need to hunt it down!
Thanks Yoss appreciate that info

User avatar
Yossarian
Member
Member
Posts: 9754
Joined: Sat 11 Jul, 2009 7:46 pm
Location: Central Coast

Post by Yossarian » Tue 05 Apr, 2011 4:59 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Yossarian wrote:
happy tiger wrote:Can you still get them . Asked wife to get one 4 Xmas in 05 and she got grand final instead oh well If you can still get who would have them
A month or two ago I'd say check out Borders. They never update their stock (part of the reason why they went belly-up). You can go to Big W and get them to check on their systems. I'm sure you could still buy one somewhere, you'd just need to hunt it down!
Thanks Yoss appreciate that info
This could save you some time:

http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/dvd/dvd- ... hts/246550
http://www.ezydvd.com.au/item.zml/783336

krayola
Member
Member
Posts: 733
Joined: Sat 26 Jun, 2010 10:12 am

Post by krayola » Tue 05 Apr, 2011 6:23 pm

I got my DVD from ebay. $20. Could be worth a shot.

I think all my favourites have been mentioned.
After 2001, there were about 3 seasons where it seemed the only games we won were against Souths. We nearly always smashed them.

2005 holds most of my favourites - the RD3 game against the Dogs is a must see. Some great trys and play from Hodgson, plus the Dogs comeback... Anasta at his best. RD2 against the Roosters, more great Hodgson and Richards work, you can see what Cayless had to offer us. Memorable also bc I think Chris Walker got hooked about 20 minutes in.

The game against the Sharks that year where Benji does about 5 steps, finds the gap and then a 20m behind the back pass. Amazing. They scored about 30 points in 15 minutes at the end.

One of the most memorable games, and the only one I can see on here where we lost, was against Parra in 09. Where Tuiaki played his last game. Both of us were on great win streaks, we needed to win the make the 8. If it wasn't for Hayne's brilliant form that year, I think we could have got this one. Amazing atmosphere, all the stars stepped up, Benji set up another brilliant try, and we played the type of football that took us so far last year. It's one of the few games we've lost where I really thought we deserved to win, particular considering the injuries we incurred and the cruel bounce of Hayne's chip kick.
One of my sources is Pascoe

User avatar
Jazza
Member
Member
Posts: 1980
Joined: Sat 11 Jul, 2009 1:38 am
Location: Glen Alpine

Post by Jazza » Tue 05 Apr, 2011 6:44 pm

A memorable one for me was the Dogs game in 03 at the Showground.
I think we had lost 7 in a row heading into that game and the Dogs were in form and heavy favourites yet we managed to get up 16-10 I think.

Last game of 2006 at Leichhardt, it was the last game for Prince, Laffranchi, Elford and Skando (At the time), a great atmosphere, Skando took a shot at goal which he almost got and we belted Souths 56-16 I think?

Rd 1 2006 against the Dragons, the Dragons wanted revenge on us and they were in control for most of the game, I think Gasnier scored a couple, but some Benji magic, playing with a broken jaw got us home.

Lawrence's debut vs Brisbane in 06 at Suncorp, we were depleted with Elford playing 6 with Lawrence and Jeffrey scoring on debut, I think it was Brisbane's last or 2nd last loss before winning the 06 Premiership.
Gee its grouse at hardware house!

Post Reply