Starting Lineup (Barring Injuries)

User avatar
Cultured Bogan
Member
Member
Posts: 17826
Joined: Tue 15 Sep, 2009 11:20 pm
Location: Blue Mountains

Re: Starting Lineup (Barring Injuries)

Post by Cultured Bogan » Wed 06 Feb, 2013 11:19 pm

Tiger Watto wrote:There is a big difference between 'best defencive player' and the guy who 'makes alot of tackles'...

I can't see how we can play Anssta & Fulton in the same team... It's either one or the other?!
Fulton is a tackling machine, but knows his way to the stripe and can run good lines. Despite his lack of size for the modern day second rower he punches well above his weight. Anasta offers a good offensive game, but doesn't get as involved as a defender. At lock, he would be forced to get more involved.
It's not cruelty to animals if you inject enough amphetamines.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...


InBenjiWeTrust
Member
Member
Posts: 2048
Joined: Mon 12 Mar, 2012 2:59 pm

Post by InBenjiWeTrust » Wed 06 Feb, 2013 11:22 pm

'Horses for courses',
IMHO, our best attack combo is:
BMM, Pettybourne, Anasta

and the best defence:
Blair, Bell, Fulton

my compromise is:
Blair, BMM, Anasta or Blair, Pettybourne, Anasta.

with 14-17: Fulton, Seumanufagai, Bell, Pettybourne/BMM.

Go Tigers

happy tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 40527
Joined: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:49 pm

Post by happy tiger » Wed 06 Feb, 2013 11:30 pm

Cultured Bogan wrote:
Tiger Watto wrote:There is a big difference between 'best defencive player' and the guy who 'makes alot of tackles'...

I can't see how we can play Anssta & Fulton in the same team... It's either one or the other?!
Fulton is a tackling machine, but knows his way to the stripe and can run good lines. Despite his lack of size for the modern day second rower he punches well above his weight. Anasta offers a good offensive game, but doesn't get as involved as a defender. At lock, he would be forced to get more involved.
Who do you class as our best defender Watto ??

User avatar
Blake93
Member
Member
Posts: 1226
Joined: Fri 05 Mar, 2010 2:24 pm
Location: Berowra, Sydney

Post by Blake93 » Wed 06 Feb, 2013 11:55 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Cultured Bogan wrote:
Tiger Watto wrote:There is a big difference between 'best defencive player' and the guy who 'makes alot of tackles'...

I can't see how we can play Anssta & Fulton in the same team... It's either one or the other?!
Fulton is a tackling machine, but knows his way to the stripe and can run good lines. Despite his lack of size for the modern day second rower he punches well above his weight. Anasta offers a good offensive game, but doesn't get as involved as a defender. At lock, he would be forced to get more involved.
Who do you class as our best defender Watto ??
Don't quote me on this but i remember seeing our forwards' tackling %'s last year. bell was 1st with woods 2nd.
He who is not everyday conquering some fear has not learnt the secret of life.

User avatar
Tiger Watto
Member
Member
Posts: 10560
Joined: Mon 08 Mar, 2010 7:12 pm
Location: Maroochydore Qld

Post by Tiger Watto » Thu 07 Feb, 2013 12:06 am

happy tiger wrote:
Cultured Bogan wrote:
Tiger Watto wrote:There is a big difference between 'best defencive player' and the guy who 'makes alot of tackles'...

I can't see how we can play Anssta & Fulton in the same team... It's either one or the other?!
Fulton is a tackling machine, but knows his way to the stripe and can run good lines. Despite his lack of size for the modern day second rower he punches well above his weight. Anasta offers a good offensive game, but doesn't get as involved as a defender. At lock, he would be forced to get more involved.
Who do you class as our best defender Watto ??
Last year it was Ellis... Granted he didn't play many games, but when he did, they didn't run at him much. ;)

It will be a little harder to pick before the season, but Fulton & Farah may make alot of tackles, but they will be far from our best defensive players. Sauce might live up to expectations around the ruck if we find the right balance in bench rotation?
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017


User avatar
stryker
Member
Member
Posts: 10825
Joined: Sun 19 Jul, 2009 4:16 pm
Location: Cairns

Post by stryker » Thu 07 Feb, 2013 12:27 am

I agree with Watto that Robbie and Fults make a lot of tackles but most are soft, easy to take hits. They dont hurt and you can get a quick play the ball from them.

For mine, Woodsy was our best last year. He made a heap and he hit them hard. Normally I would agree and say Gaz but I really thought he was a waste of space last year.

User avatar
willow
Member
Member
Posts: 32960
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 9:28 pm
Location: The Village

Post by willow » Thu 07 Feb, 2013 6:27 am

PYMBLEPETE wrote:
tigerdre wrote:
willow wrote:1. Tedesco
2. Tuqiri
3. Ayshford
4. Lawrence
5. Koroibete
6. Marshall
7. Miller
8. Woods
9. Farah
10. Galloway
11. Blair
12. Pettybourne
13. Anasta

14. Utai
15. Seumanufagai
16. BMM
17. Bell
No Fulton?
Massive call leaving out our best defensive player
I cant see how that works either.

Unless injured, Fulton in the 17 for sure and certain.
A tough call but one that is necessary IMO. I don't want a forward pack that will be pushed around and walked over. Anasta will be in the starting 17 and he is as small a player as I want to see in the Tigers backrow. He has all the ballplaying skill of Fulton and more.

User avatar
Hbom
Member
Member
Posts: 634
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 12:18 pm

Post by Hbom » Thu 07 Feb, 2013 9:19 am

I think it would be a mistake leaving Fulton out of the 17. While not one to barrel over the top of an aggressive defensive line, he was often the first forward to make a hit-up off our own line after a good kick, this at a time when he was working like a mule in defence also. He often made 2-3 try saving tackles per game on speedy backs. You need players like that, not just ones that can knock opposing props backwards.

Ultimately it's all about balance, and I realise I am not providing all the answers, but it is hard for me to see how one of our best and most consistent from 2012 could not find a home in the 17.

happy tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 40527
Joined: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:49 pm

Post by happy tiger » Thu 07 Feb, 2013 9:47 am

Hbom wrote:I think it would be a mistake leaving Fulton out of the 17. While not one to barrel over the top of an aggressive defensive line, he was often the first forward to make a hit-up off our own line after a good kick, this at a time when he was working like a mule in defence also. He often made 2-3 try saving tackles per game on speedy backs. You need players like that, not just ones that can knock opposing props backwards.

Ultimately it's all about balance, and I realise I am not providing all the answers, but it is hard for me to see how one of our best and most consistent from 2012 could not find a home in the 17.
In my opinion Fulton plays 80 minutes as Benji's minder , or we don't pick him at all Fulton is our Dallas Johnson ,Allan Tongue,Shaun Fensom style player

Those style of players aren't effective off the bench You wind them up ,take out the key and let them go for the full 80 full tilt

We had 4 80 minutes backrowers Now we have two , with one likely to be pushed up front and not likely to play 80 minute (Blair) You need at least 1 80 minute backrower in this age

tig_prmz
Member
Member
Posts: 7987
Joined: Sat 03 Oct, 2009 10:32 pm

Post by tig_prmz » Thu 07 Feb, 2013 1:30 pm

as far as i can tell from the articles, these positions seem certain

1. moltz
2. koro
3. lawrence
4. aysh
5.
6. benji
7. miller
8. woods
9. farah
10. gal
11.
12.
13. anasta
My Round 1 Team 2018

1. lolo 2. noffa 3. suli 4. milne 5. fonua
6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal
11. McQuen 12. Lawrence 13. Eiso
14. Matulino 15. McIllwrick 16. Sue 17. Aloiai
18. Marsters 19. Benji 20. Grant 21. K Naiqama
Next: Liddle, MCK, Felise, MWZ, Thompson, Rochow, Gamble

Tigerdale
Member
Member
Posts: 601
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 3:07 pm

Post by Tigerdale » Mon 11 Feb, 2013 11:12 am

lol at people leaving Fulton out of the 17

User avatar
sheer64
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 5552
Joined: Sun 23 Sep, 2012 2:06 pm

Post by sheer64 » Mon 11 Feb, 2013 4:26 pm

Tigerdale wrote:lol at people leaving Fulton out of the 17
Could not agree more, Fulton will be in the 17 100% guaranteed.
Arise Sir Waste Anasta, Tool of the highest order!

User avatar
MacDougall
Member
Member
Posts: 7964
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 4:03 am
Location: Brisbane, QLD

Post by MacDougall » Tue 12 Feb, 2013 10:49 am

1. Moltzen
2. Tuqiri
3. Ayshford
4. Lawrence
5. Koroibete
6. Marshall
7. Miller
8. Galloway
9. Farah
10. Woods
11. Pettybourne
12. Blair
13. Anasta
14. Fulton
15. Naiyaravaro
16. Ben Murdoch-Masila
17. Utai

Naiyaravaro is going to be there round one imo. The hype train is building and if he goes well in the Parra game he gets a chance to shine on TV cameras in the foundation cup. I probably would choose a different side to that but that's what I reckon we're gonna see.

tigerbenji
Member
Member
Posts: 2320
Joined: Thu 03 Mar, 2011 12:48 pm

Post by tigerbenji » Tue 12 Feb, 2013 10:58 am

If Teddy is fit i think he will be the no1, as for Fulton he will be in the 17 somewhere & so he should.

maxxy86
Member
Member
Posts: 1649
Joined: Fri 04 Mar, 2011 11:54 am

Post by maxxy86 » Tue 12 Feb, 2013 11:30 am

As far as im concerned as long as we dont carry a back an the bench i shall be happy. Also having 4 props in our 17
Well its nearly time to have a 'CRACK'....Go you :sign:

everett
Member
Member
Posts: 1636
Joined: Fri 12 Mar, 2010 11:01 pm
Location: Kings Langley

Post by everett » Tue 12 Feb, 2013 12:14 pm

MacDougall wrote:1. Moltzen
2. Tuqiri
3. Ayshford
4. Lawrence
5. Koroibete
6. Marshall
7. Miller
8. Galloway
9. Farah
10. Woods
11. Pettybourne
12. Blair
13. Anasta
14. Fulton
15. Naiyaravaro
16. Ben Murdoch-Masila
17. Utai

Naiyaravaro is going to be there round one imo. The hype train is building and if he goes well in the Parra game he gets a chance to shine on TV cameras in the foundation cup. I probably would choose a different side to that but that's what I reckon we're gonna see.

Fulton and Utai would give us a small bench. Given his form last year and he can play prop you have to say Matt Bell should be picked ahead of Utai.

I prefer Teddy to Moltzen if he is fit to go.
Living the dream and praying for another premiership

brett_empire
Posts: 37
Joined: Thu 07 Jun, 2012 2:16 pm

Post by brett_empire » Tue 12 Feb, 2013 2:03 pm

Has anybody actually watched Adam Blair play ?

I don't wanna be harsh on the bloke, it's not a personal attack but I don't think I would even have him in my 17.
Are we picking him on his name? Surely not on form? You've got rocks in your head if you would have Blair in front of Fulton

I put BMM, pettybourne, bell, fulton, anasta, all in front of Blair, maybe even boden thompson. With our current lack of depth in the front row due to Groat and Gavet injuries, i would be starting Blair on the bench and playing him 40mins in the front row at best. He's not good enough to be out there for 80 mins. From memory Bellamy used to play him in the front row at times at melbourne.

I would have Fulton play 80mins all day every day, with heigno and ellis gone the tigers are going to be extremely vulnerable up the middle (if we weren't enough last year)

User avatar
pHyR3
Member
Member
Posts: 5048
Joined: Tue 12 Feb, 2013 7:11 pm

Post by pHyR3 » Tue 12 Feb, 2013 8:29 pm

But blair has the potential to play like he did in 2011, and with his price tag potter can't legitimately not play him in the 17. I reckon he's getting more used to the tiger's style of play (opposite of storm) and potter is making the tigers play more like storm, so blair should have a better season in '13. Potter and co. have made some encouraging statements about his enthusiasm at training, especially in contact which is encouraging considering his biggest problem was hiding from the ball last season.
''Everybody talks about their four brothers, we have 17 here so we don't really care about them."

Post Reply