Overrated Benji - Nothing has changed

happy tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 40783
Joined: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:49 pm

Re: Overrated Benji - Nothing has changed

Post by happy tiger » Sun 17 Feb, 2013 2:59 am

stryker wrote:Second rowers are bludgers? Mate we are the life blood. We make you shirt lifting fullbacks look good every day of the week.
Yeah they did , second rowers would make some feeble attempt at a tackle (which looked more like he was trying to kiss the opposition player , not kill him ) and I would have to put the rampaging 84kg winger he just missed into the second tier of the stadium

Give me three reasons you think Benji will be more consistant in 2013 Stryker

He doesn't have a forward pack that is likely to help him


User avatar
stryker
Member
Member
Posts: 10825
Joined: Sun 19 Jul, 2009 4:16 pm
Location: Cairns

Post by stryker » Sun 17 Feb, 2013 3:36 am

I dont see the man as ever being a complete, consistant footballer. That is not who he is and never will be. He is an attacking weapon without peer. He is the bloke who can put on a try out of nothing, kick a field goal from half way with one step and inspire young players. He is a "go to" guy. Sheens tried to change this and got the arse as a result. Benji is there to set up and score tries. He is not there to run the play. He has been used incorrectly since Prince left. He is the bloke you give the ball to after field position has been established.

My reasoning:

No.1 - He is a freak. He is one of the most naturally talented footballers of the past 2 generations. He is nowhere near the best, but on his day can create points from nowhere like not many others can.

No.2 - Sheens **edited** him. Plain and simple. He tried to turn a weapon into an organising half and failed miserably. When Benji strayed from the game plan last year we won. He is the creater of points in this side after others have done the hard work.

No.3 - When on song, Benji plays football. Not text book do it by the numbers BS, but football. He loves being 2 wide of the ruck. Again he is hopeless at controlling a game but brilliant in space. This year he has a bloke with genuine pace outside him and another who does the hard yards inside him.

I really believe season 2013 will see a rejuvenated Benji and I cant wait for it.

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 3359
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 8:12 am
Location: bayview

Post by jadtiger » Sun 17 Feb, 2013 6:23 am

Good summation Stryker he needs to go back to his natural game if Miller can do the organizing Benji and the team should reap the rewards

User avatar
Cosimo_Zaretti
Member
Member
Posts: 1331
Joined: Sat 18 Aug, 2012 7:07 pm
Location: Camperdown

Post by Cosimo_Zaretti » Sun 17 Feb, 2013 3:30 pm

seadoggy wrote:dumping the ball off to a confused support standing still and getting belted
Wel that's hardly Benji's fault. If you've got a half running across you, you've got to be expecting the ball. Why are there 12 other blokes standing flatfooted watching Benji run sideways?
RUN THE BALL BENJI - that is what made you most effective when you first came into the game.
When Marshall first played first grade he was running off a first grade halfback, which allowed him the freedom to run. The past few seasons he's been trying to play two positions at once with a succession of increasingly dubious halves partners (Liam Fulton at 5/8 ffs). I'm not necessarily defending Marshall's form, but you can't really compare it to the situation between 03-06 when he had a much freer hand.

Which brings us back to our halfback conundrum, but that's hardly new territory in this forum.

User avatar
turnstyle
Member
Member
Posts: 2078
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 2:30 pm
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right. Yep. Brisbane.

Post by turnstyle » Mon 18 Feb, 2013 12:28 am

post deleted by me.... :blah
Last edited by turnstyle on Tue 19 Feb, 2013 8:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Image


User avatar
turnstyle
Member
Member
Posts: 2078
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 2:30 pm
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right. Yep. Brisbane.

Post by turnstyle » Mon 18 Feb, 2013 12:35 am

stryker wrote:Second rowers are bludgers? Mate we are the life blood. We make you shirt lifting fullbacks look good every day of the week.
haha... classic. :roll

i was actually a fullback, and to be honest, i always did and always will believe that it is the forwards who do the hardest work on the field, so that guys like me (no shirt lifter by the way) could do our thing. thankfully, because of you guys, i still look good... ;)
Image

User avatar
turnstyle
Member
Member
Posts: 2078
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 2:30 pm
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right. Yep. Brisbane.

Post by turnstyle » Mon 18 Feb, 2013 12:38 am

Cosimo_Zaretti wrote:
seadoggy wrote:dumping the ball off to a confused support standing still and getting belted
Wel that's hardly Benji's fault. If you've got a half running across you, you've got to be expecting the ball. Why are there 12 other blokes standing flatfooted watching Benji run sideways?

have to disagree with that. i think it is benjis fault because he cramps them because they have already put themselves where they are supposed to be, and in any case, no one really knows what he is going to do....
Image

User avatar
barra
Member
Member
Posts: 2328
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 12:54 pm
Location: Sth Coast

Post by barra » Mon 18 Feb, 2013 9:50 am

Stryker and Willow, thank you for breathing common sense into this thread!

Happy I will be way too polite to give it to you (that would probably be my old fullback days too), anyways it looks like Stryker has that covered!

Year of the Tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 565
Joined: Mon 08 Mar, 2010 9:35 pm
Location: Brisbane via Leichardt

Post by Year of the Tiger » Mon 18 Feb, 2013 7:44 pm

stryker wrote:I dont see the man as ever being a complete, consistant footballer. That is not who he is and never will be. He is an attacking weapon without peer. He is the bloke who can put on a try out of nothing, kick a field goal from half way with one step and inspire young players. He is a "go to" guy. Sheens tried to change this and got the arse as a result. Benji is there to set up and score tries. He is not there to run the play. He has been used incorrectly since Prince left. He is the bloke you give the ball to after field position has been established.

My reasoning:

No.1 - He is a freak. He is one of the most naturally talented footballers of the past 2 generations. He is nowhere near the best, but on his day can create points from nowhere like not many others can.

No.2 - Sheens **edited** him. Plain and simple. He tried to turn a weapon into an organising half and failed miserably. When Benji strayed from the game plan last year we won. He is the creater of points in this side after others have done the hard work.

No.3 - When on song, Benji plays football. Not text book do it by the numbers BS, but football. He loves being 2 wide of the ruck. Again he is hopeless at controlling a game but brilliant in space. This year he has a bloke with genuine pace outside him and another who does the hard yards inside him.

I really believe season 2013 will see a rejuvenated Benji and I cant wait for it.
I'm on your boat for this trip Stryker!
2 October 2005 was the greatest day of my life ...

Black & Gold
Member
Member
Posts: 110
Joined: Wed 26 Aug, 2009 3:51 pm

Post by Black & Gold » Tue 18 Jun, 2013 4:03 pm

I thought I would go back into my old threads and see which one of you 'Einstein's' were defending Benji.....

Well here is the list...Is your name on it?

How silly do you feel?

supercoach
goose
bigsirro
sheer64
barra
fraze23
snake
fadetoblack
paris cobbs
tigersrule4life
hardwick
yearofthetiger
stryker

WELL WELL WELL - 99% of people in this forum want to see the back of Benji now! You were making a million and one excuses for him....Remember? Some of you were saying he had more try assists than anyone else....lololol...where are you now? Stil lwant to keep this liability in the team?

Oh and those of you that said Humphreys was a good CEO..........Well we all know how that ended...Actually, you dont....He resigned didnt he.......Or did he? Those of us that are close to people in the club or board know what really happened!

GeorgeQ

Post by GeorgeQ » Tue 18 Jun, 2013 5:17 pm

I have defended Benji in the past and will probably do so in the future, but it's getting harder to do so. Benji's problem (I think) has nothing to do with football and everything to do with decision making. Unfortunately he makes too many poor decisions both on and off the field. He also goes for the low percentage play too often (I wonder if he punts, he seems like a punter because he don't mind taking a gamble). He has all the skills - although he probably needs to improve his defence - and he has the confidence, he just needs to make better decisions, or just fewer bad ones. Don't get me wrong, he makes some great decisions (like Zoe Balbi) but he makes just as many bad ones - like going to McDonalds after a function! Or that chip and chase just before halftime last night - irrespective of the outcome - it was a poor decision. As for his future, well I hope he improves and never have I wanted to be so wrong before, but I don't see him improving at the Tigers.

User avatar
Andyvee
Member
Member
Posts: 193
Joined: Wed 29 Sep, 2010 10:09 am

Post by Andyvee » Tue 18 Jun, 2013 8:28 pm

The mistakes and wrong options Benji has made far outweigh all the positives. An awful kick, stray pass in own half, wrong fifth tackle option, not kicking out after penalty etc etc etc

It seems that his errors are real momentum changers, and he does put the rest of the team under enormous pressure. This has been his trademark for many years, but all we take notice of is the one or two magic passes, a great run on occasions, one or two excellent kicks in a game. For ever one amazing play, he does several really crap ones.

I hope he does improve, and gets his confidence back. But I think he may need a fresh start somewhere else.

User avatar
Flippedy
Member
Member
Posts: 7913
Joined: Mon 19 Oct, 2009 10:58 pm
Location: Central Coast NSW

Post by Flippedy » Tue 18 Jun, 2013 8:54 pm

Black & Gold wrote:I thought I would go back into my old threads and see which one of you 'Einstein's' were defending Benji.....

Well here is the list...Is your name on it?

How silly do you feel?

supercoach
goose
bigsirro
sheer64
barra
fraze23
snake
fadetoblack
paris cobbs
tigersrule4life
hardwick
yearofthetiger
stryker

WELL WELL WELL - 99% of people in this forum want to see the back of Benji now! You were making a million and one excuses for him....Remember? Some of you were saying he had more try assists than anyone else....lololol...where are you now? Stil lwant to keep this liability in the team?

Oh and those of you that said Humphreys was a good CEO..........Well we all know how that ended...Actually, you dont....He resigned didnt he.......Or did he? Those of us that are close to people in the club or board know what really happened!
Don't you just love people who blow their own trumpet - NOT! You need to get a life B&G.
Sooner or later, next year has to be this year - Ricksen

User avatar
LaT
Member
Member
Posts: 3468
Joined: Fri 07 Jan, 2011 4:55 pm
Location: NSW
Contact:

Post by LaT » Tue 18 Jun, 2013 9:21 pm

Black & Gold wrote:I thought I would go back into my old threads and see which one of you 'Einstein's' were defending Benji.....

Well here is the list...Is your name on it?

How silly do you feel?

supercoach
goose
bigsirro
sheer64
barra
fraze23
snake
fadetoblack
paris cobbs
tigersrule4life
hardwick
yearofthetiger
stryker

WELL WELL WELL - 99% of people in this forum want to see the back of Benji now! You were making a million and one excuses for him....Remember? Some of you were saying he had more try assists than anyone else....lololol...where are you now? Stil lwant to keep this liability in the team?

Oh and those of you that said Humphreys was a good CEO..........Well we all know how that ended...Actually, you dont....He resigned didnt he.......Or did he? Those of us that are close to people in the club or board know what really happened!
Wait a sec....are you the hero who PM'd me your mobile number, trying to get me to call because I disagreed with you?

Mate, seek help.
TigPies till I die!

I say, I say I resemble that remark!

laufoofan
Member
Member
Posts: 349
Joined: Mon 24 Sep, 2012 9:05 am

Post by laufoofan » Thu 20 Jun, 2013 8:41 pm

Benji has to chase kicks, practised that and he may score a few more tries.. Benji have to get his hands dirty and he has to learn how to tackle. If he can't takle, anyone running towards him will have a free passage to the tryline. Benji will have to improve his speed, as we know being slow will cut down his thinking time, thus less time to make decisions and often made the wrong decisions. The tries he and Pettybourne let in were soft and their tackles are mere jersy pulling which did not stop the progress of the attacker. Benji's attitude is also a problem, he thinks he is good, but he has fallen way behind most of the 5/8s and he makes too many errors.His errors are caused by his lack of speed today, thus he is often forced into making errors.I hope he check these few points and do something about his football, otherwise he will become a hasbeen if he is not already.

Fade To Black
Member
Member
Posts: 5474
Joined: Tue 21 Feb, 2012 5:51 pm

Post by Fade To Black » Sat 22 Jun, 2013 6:34 am

LaT wrote:
Black & Gold wrote:I thought I would go back into my old threads and see which one of you 'Einstein's' were defending Benji.....

Well here is the list...Is your name on it?

How silly do you feel?

supercoach
goose
bigsirro
sheer64
barra
fraze23
snake
fadetoblack
paris cobbs
tigersrule4life
hardwick
yearofthetiger
stryker

WELL WELL WELL - 99% of people in this forum want to see the back of Benji now! You were making a million and one excuses for him....Remember? Some of you were saying he had more try assists than anyone else....lololol...where are you now? Stil lwant to keep this liability in the team?

Oh and those of you that said Humphreys was a good CEO..........Well we all know how that ended...Actually, you dont....He resigned didnt he.......Or did he? Those of us that are close to people in the club or board know what really happened!
Wait a sec....are you the hero who PM'd me your mobile number, trying to get me to call because I disagreed with you?

Mate, seek help.
Thats hilarious! Watch your back LaT, maybe B & G thought this was a dating site :) Some people are a real worry.

User avatar
innsaneink
Member
Member
Posts: 29261
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 9:49 pm
Location: ...ahead of you....

Post by innsaneink » Sat 22 Jun, 2013 8:45 am

I dunno

I think people taking a broad general swipe at others is pretty pathetic

At least B&G has pointed the finger directly to ensure he gets some replies

Still, trolling is trolling

User avatar
stryker
Member
Member
Posts: 10825
Joined: Sun 19 Jul, 2009 4:16 pm
Location: Cairns

Post by stryker » Sun 23 Jun, 2013 3:03 am

Yeah the thing is though Ink, this Black & Gold character is obviously upset at the way we have started the year and is striking out at us on that list as if we are the reason....

I'll put my hand up B&G, I staunchly defended Benji at the years start and my support has become less vocal as the year has progressed as my predictions have fallen completely flat. Every crap kick he puts through and every tackle he doesnt commit to is another nail in my argument...I realise this. However I am still not a member of the lynch mob who want him released 2 years early. I believe he still has something to offer this side and he showed a bit of that tonight.

Attacking people for supporting one of our own is pretty childish I reckon. We are not the ones playing poorly...it aint our fault bud. What I said at the years start was true at that time as far as I am concerned. How was I to know the form of our backline would totally evaporate? How was I to know about the huge injury toll that was about to wreck our season?

Some of the points people make about Benji are true...guess what? I agree.
1. He cant organise play,
2. He cant lead a team.
3. His general kicking is aweful.
4. His defence is weak.
5. He makes a lot of mistakes.
This is nothing new...it has been this way since 2004. You are not some visionary football genious for pointing this out to us all. You give him a good half and the first 3 things on my list become negligable and the last 2 improve or lessen. On top of that, the real reason he is in this team comes to the fore. We start scoring points. That is the only reason he is in this team....he converts the hard work of others into points. If the hard yards arent being done by the pigs or the half, then his impact is non existant. As I said...this is nothing new to anyone who has followed his career.

He isnt a Lockyer, Thurston, Foran or Maloney. They are proper 5/8ths who run the show....BUT given the right situation, he can do things that those boys could only dream of. He has an X factor that those guys dont possess. The new men in our backline are learning how he plays and you can notice our attack is starting to become threatening again. The combos are beginning to form and they will only get better, however he needs a controlling half and that is not an excuse, that is reality.

Post Reply