10 Things To Be Excited For in 2013

MacDougall

10 Things To Be Excited For in 2013

Post by MacDougall » Sat 16 Feb, 2013 12:38 am

1. Marika Koroibete

Coming into the side in 2012 due to Tuqiri's injury , his combination with Marshall was insanely good considering its youth. Now having the experience of 2012 and a full off season training as our first string attacking weapon I cannot begin to imagine what we're going to see from him. Marshall will be creaming having someone to throw cut out balls to with his speed and strength and he has a hell of a combination with Miller already.

2. The Only Way Is Up

Some very talented players had shockers in 2012. Namely Chris Lawrence and Adam Blair but to a lesser extent Blake Ayshford, Lote Tuqiri and Keith Galloway. There is no way that between the five of them they can't improve on their 2012 performances and we barely missed out in 2012 as it was. If Lawrence and Blair alone play to their full potential in 2013 we will be much, much stronger.

3. Aaron Woods

Aaron Woods is going to play State of Origin this year (touch wood). They say props only get better with age and this guy has been slaying first grade since he was 20 so how good can he really be?

4. Mick Potter

This one comes with some serious perks. Namely not having favourites and already being shown to make players accountable, something we desperately needed. I know he is being underrated. He is one of the smartest coaches going around. He will be more Maguire and less McLennan, put your house on it.

5. Depth

Some muppet on YouTube reckons we have the worst depth. What a laugh. With a grand final winning 20's side with an abormally large amount of bonafide first grade talent in it and a grand final qualifying state cup side in 2012 we couldn't have BETTER depth. This leads into ...

6. Youth

James Tedesco, Marika Koroibete, David Nofoaluma, Taqele Naiyaravaro, Jacob Miller, Luke Brooks, Mosese Fotuiaka, Ava Seumanufagai, Brendan Santi, Andrew Vela and on and on the list goes on. We have youth in the positions we need it and experience where it counts. We have a very good balance.

7. Sink or Swim

Under a new coach, without hardwired ideas about players, a certain few aren't going to be coasting anymore. Tim Moltzen is hanging onto a first grade spot by a thread now and Potter isn't going to be finding ways to force him into the side if he doesn't perform especially considering he is now about 5th down the pecking order of halves and in his "preferred position" we have the most talented and celebrated junior fullback in Australia breathing down his neck whom Potter has gone on the record in rating. Blake Ayshford was being spoken of as a potential Origin bolter and ended up being a fizzle in 2012 and with Simona, Brien, Naiyaravaro and Nofoaluma all capable centres. Perhaps the only alarming thing is that Potter has already given Blair wraps about his "effect on the young blokes" and his "professionalism" which indicates that he may already have a man crush on a guy that really should be looking over his shoulder. Then again it could just mean that Blair is going to have a blinder.

8. Robbie Farah

In 2012 Robbie Farah finally arrived and silenced all his damn critics. Unbelievably it was also the hardest year in his life personally. With that year behind him and having finally cemented himself as Origin hooker (if not first picked entirely) he can really focus on us.

9. We Have a Halfback

Hooray! We finally have a seven again. For whatever mind numbing reason Tim Sheens out and out refused to do it but Mick Potter came in and made a rational decision immediately. And you know what? I really do believe that if Miller fails he will throw Brooks straight in rather than shuffle the deckchairs. Old enough if good enough and by putting him into NSW cup instead of NYC the warning signs of Brooks being a young starter are all there.

10. Benji Marshall is back at five-eighth

A lot of you are crying about his performance in the all-stars match but tbqh he had no halfback and looked to me like what a real five-eighth looks like when the halfback fails. He's trained all off-season as a five-eighth and the fact that he didn't take over the plays and run everything has me confident that there has been a leaning towards him being second receiver and being an option rather than playmaker and this plays to his natural strengths, something Sheens seemed averse to doing. He showed good signs in the all-stars match,taking on the line on a few occasions and didn't have his hands all over everything, which in club football will make him lethal because he can chime in whenever he wants.

All in all I really like our chances in 2013. I cannot see for the life of me why we are being written off. We have lost Beau Ryan and replaced him with effectively, Marika Koroibete and how is that not better? Ryan is a great bloke and good value to any side but when put on the outside of a man he never beat him and always had to stop and throw it back infield. Koroibete beats EVERY SINGLE PLAYER in this manner. He's worth 3 tries to Ryan's 1 and as a winger that's where your value is. In 2012 Chris Heighington was far more hindrance than help. I was just watching the Koroibete Bonstonker video for the 30th time in the past week and saw something that I know every Wests Tigers fan will be grateful not to see and that is Heighington getting the ball in the middle of a backline movement, dummying, shuffling to the line and then not having a clue what to do. Fortunately in that instance he offloaded back to Farah and a try resulted but 99 percent of the time he does this he kills our attacking opportunities. Not having him in the side in 2013 is, unfortunate as it is to say, a blessing. Anasta couldn't be less effective a runner and he is 1000x the ball player so it's at worst a win in that regard.

We have attacking options aplenty and excellent cover where it needs to be. Our prop depth may lack but that's only if you have no faith that the likes of Mosese Fotuiaka, Matt Groat, James Gavet, Ava Seumanfagai, Taqele Naiyaravaro, Soni Passi et al couldn't handle first grade and let me tell you I genuinely believe all six of those guys CAN and WILL handle first grade. Our backrow looks a little impotent if Fulton and Anasta end up the starting pair but if that lacks I fully expect that Potter will immediately realise this and won't just accept it based on their names. Pettybourne, Bell, Thompson, Naiyaravaro, Ben Murdoch-Masila, Andrew Vela, Fotuiaka ... hell even Sironen and Ayshford are likely types to end up stellar backrowers.

As long as Potter gets the combination right in the early rounds and doesn't persevere with ineffective options (and he has shown plenty to indicate this as being the case) we have everything needed to take this premiership. I can't wait and you should be keen as hell too.

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Sat 16 Feb, 2013 1:06 am

Gee you put some work into that post, I agree with everything but being a pretty pessimistic bloke Iam not as optimistic as you.I just think its going to take time to desheen the place and I also think the balance in the forward pack is a bit out of whack .

But like you I think their is a hell of a lot of things to get excited about and we are traveling well below the radar and thats the way i like it

Newtown

Post by Newtown » Sat 16 Feb, 2013 3:27 am

Well said MacDougall, you have put a lot of things into the right perpective.

tiger pom

Post by tiger pom » Sat 16 Feb, 2013 4:17 am

Great post with a lot of good points.I am also very optimistic,lets hope its not misplaced.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sat 16 Feb, 2013 10:15 am

Good post but I find it hard to agree with points 5 & 6

Depth?
Possibly.

Potential?
Yes.

Two different things, theyre all untried at top level, we know how big a step up it is, some will make it, some wont...

Irvine

Post by Irvine » Sat 16 Feb, 2013 10:36 am

MacDougall wrote: Tim Moltzen is hanging onto a first grade spot by a thread now and Potter isn't going to be finding ways to force him into the side if he doesn't perform
Great post MacDougall I wish you were right about Moltzen but nothing has really changed Benji is still there, I would be very surprised if Potter took the risk of upsetting the man who picks the team. Moltzen will always be there while Benji is around.

yeti

Post by yeti » Sat 16 Feb, 2013 1:53 pm

Irvine wrote:
MacDougall wrote: Tim Moltzen is hanging onto a first grade spot by a thread now and Potter isn't going to be finding ways to force him into the side if he doesn't perform
Great post MacDougall I wish you were right about Moltzen but nothing has really changed Benji is still there, I would be very surprised if Potter took the risk of upsetting the man who picks the team. Moltzen will always be there while Benji is around.
Benji picks the team? Really? Maybe (just maybe) he had an undue influence on the former coach, but do you really think he still runs the ship under Potter? Hell, he must be one powerfully influential guy.

stryker

Post by stryker » Sat 16 Feb, 2013 3:32 pm

Very good, positive post Macdougal. You are right there are a lot of things to be excited about.

I do however worry about our depth in the front row and the fact our half and fullback are so green. Personally I am not expecting too much this year but if a lot of those points you made come off as hoped then it will still be a great season full of surprises.

Post by 851 » Sat 16 Feb, 2013 4:05 pm

Point 9 is the one we needed,and I think one of if not both Miller and Brooks will succeed,so I hope Mick does throw Brooks in if Miller comes up short.
Go hard or go home

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Sat 16 Feb, 2013 4:14 pm

stryker wrote:Very good, positive post Macdougal. You are right there are a lot of things to be excited about.

I do however worry about our depth in the front row and the fact our half and fullback are so green. Personally I am not expecting too much this year but if a lot of those points you made come off as hoped then it will still be a great season full of surprises.
If Gavet and Groat weren't both already injured, I'd be less worried. Between all the younger front rowers this season (excluding Woods,) I'd tip at least one to probably step up to the level required by NRL. Hopefully Buchanan lives up to the hype or Fotuaika gets an opportunity.
It's not cruelty to animals if you inject enough amphetamines.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sat 16 Feb, 2013 4:37 pm

I'm looking forward to seeing how Potter handles the week to week pressure, particularly in regards to team selection if we get injuries or players suffer a dip in form. The whole off-season has been his honeymoon period, and people have been basking in the fresh air thats been breathed into the place and rightly so. But its going to be interesting to watch him handle negative situations and how he presents himself to the media. I'd expect a complete 180 from the stubborness and the grumpy old man routine from old man Sheens cos Potter comes across as a genuinely good guy.

Fade To Black

Post by Fade To Black » Sat 16 Feb, 2013 6:40 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:I'm looking forward to seeing how Potter handles the week to week pressure, particularly in regards to team selection if we get injuries or players suffer a dip in form. The whole off-season has been his honeymoon period, and people have been basking in the fresh air thats been breathed into the place and rightly so. But its going to be interesting to watch him handle negative situations and how he presents himself to the media. I'd expect a complete 180 from the stubborness and the grumpy old man routine from old man Sheens cos Potter comes across as a genuinely good guy.
Most if not all of the coaches in the NRL who have been around for a substantial time tend to grow stubborn and grumpy with the media due to the mostly braindead and stupid questions they ask...any person would. It would be safe to say that Potters personality will change over time. Just as long as his ideas don't get stale.