The Rundown - Wests Tigers V Eels

willow

The Rundown - Wests Tigers V Eels

Post by willow » Sun 17 Feb, 2013 7:32 am

Okie dokie, I managed to watch all three grades today and will give a run down on each:

Holden Cup:

My my Payten has a difficult job ahead of him. Not for the lack of talent, but too much. He ran two squads as all would know, with an even mix of last year's NYC team and the newbies stepping up from SG Ball and Keebra Park.

Biggest things that I noticed were:

We look to be light on in the front row department once again. Payten ran with two front rowers barely weighing more than 90kg while the Eels trotted out a couple of units weighing at least 115kg. Nathan Brown will be handy but I'm not sure who will partner him. Possibly Kyle Lovett but the two biggest units at Payten's disposal - Richard Ene and Paula Fangaloka, barely got any game time. Dallas Graham wasn't bad...

Different story with the backrow and Payten has a plethora of talent here, along with some decent size to boot. Andrew Vela looked solid after a long layoff with injury, while Salesi Funaki, Daniel Rakvin and Shane Lalogafau all look solid and more than capable. Brendan Santi was good and looked to be the fittest bloke out there, tackling everything.

Kurtis Rowe should have the fullback spot sewn up and was good today. Wingers and centres look to be a bit more difficult to choose from. Nathan Milone and Leva Li would probably be my first choice centres based on today. Both boys are reasonably built and looked good. We don't have any genuine speedsters on the wings from what I saw which is a bit of a shame.

Half and five eighth will be interesting. Mitchell Moses will eventually find his way into the 6 jersey. Not sure who will nail the halfback spot. Luke Brooks would have been my first choice, but he looks destined to play State Cup unless there's a reversal leading into round 1. Manaia Rudolph or Billy Kitt look to be the other options but it will be interesting to see what squad Payten rolls with next week against the Chooks.

State Cup:

Wests Tigers started slowly I thought, turning over cheap ball early on before they slowly found their groove and proceeded to dominate the first half as they looked the stronger and sharper of the two sides. Luke Brooks looked to organise play well and had a good kicking game. The forwards were pretty good as a unit and Tedesco got more involved as the half went, popping up all over the place in support.

Mr T ended up on the wing but didn't get to touch the ball until about the 28th minute or something ridiculous like that. You could just see him waiting out there, watching...buggered if Wenty kicked the ball anywhere near him. BMM was hot and cold. Came up with a couple of handling errors, but also looked pretty fit and mobile and certainly strong. Barged his way over from one powerful run and will probably be coming off the bench in FG if I had to guess right now.

The second half saw a host of the Tigers top players come off, and the spring in their step faded while Wenty started to claw their way back. They looked the more energetic side in the second half but the Tigers somehow managed to hold on despite looking like they would be overrun. Overall it was rusty, but I think they'll be in for a good season. David Nofoaluma was probably the best player out there. Took plenty of stopping and wouldn't look out of place in FG if injuries strike.

First Grade:

Ok, so it was only a trial, but the Tigers looked to be a far more cohesive unit than the Eels. The Eels were unlucky not to score 3 first half tries. They caught Ayshford and Utai short twice, and Koroibete once in the first half, but forward passes and knock ons let them down. It was the story of their night really, each time they looked to set something up, the ball went to ground and the Tigers made them pay.

The Tigers on the other hand looked pretty handy. Discipline looked good, defence at times was excellent, kicking game was ok and the overall attack was good for a trial match, although it faded noticeably when Marshall and Farah left the field.

I'll run through most of the players (some only played cameo roles late in the game):

1. Moltzen - Ran the ball back straight which was good to see, although didn't have much of an opportunity otherwise. Moved to 6 once Benji came off and might be a handy backup here, although I suspect young Sirro might have something to say when he returns. I see no reason why he won't start at fullback in round 1.

2. Koroibete - Exciting is the best way to put it. Bloody strong and quick and looks set to build on last year. Scored a cracker of a try from a well placed downtown kick from Benji which bounced perfectly for him, and Mullaney, despite being no slouch couldn't go with Koro as he scored under the sticks. Could have had 2 tries if he could have reeled in a well placed grubber from Anasta. Needs to be careful with his defensive positioning.

3. Lawrence - Didn't do much in the first half, ran from dummyhalf a couple of times and looked sharp, but otherwise wasn't noticed. Evidently did enough to satisfy Potter as Reddy played the second 40.

4. Ayshford - Got caught out in defence twice, and needs to be careful here because despite being a good mover, he's not an outright speedster as we found out after he got run down from making an intercept. Looked ok overall though.

5. Utai - Same as last year, runs as hard as he can and takes a lot of stopping. Dropped one bomb but otherwise solid.

6. Marshall - Toyed with the Eels and looked a class above when he decided to inject himself on occasion. The move back to 6 looks a good one and he came up with some nice touches...the downtown kick for Koro, an excellent cut out pass for Utai to score, even managed to put big Keithy into a massive hole. Came off after 50 minutes and his speed looked fine out there for anyone doubting he's slowed down a lot.

7. Miller - Busy organising game and did his fair share of general kicking. I liked the look of him and he should develop into a good 7 with time and patience. Came up with a great cover tackle down the sideline too.

19. Buchanan - Got through plenty of work although I didn't think he put much of a dent in the Eels line. He's fit though and he'll be one to watch as the season goes, as I think he'll definitely improve. Needs to work on his leg drive, but this will come over the next couple of years. He's only a baby as far as front rowers go but looks to be a decent signing. Looked good in defence.

9. Farah - Nothing bad to say and he looked fine out there, played well within himself and that's fine by me at this stage.

10. Galloway - Looks a bit bigger up top than last year and played some decent minutes. Strong game overall.

11. Anasta - Looked handy on the left edge and bagged a double. I think he'll keep Fulton out of the starting side at this stage.

12. Pettyourne - Not a big looking fellow at all, but geez he hit hard in defence early on and really whacked some of the Eels. Looks to be a good signing.

13. Blair - Busy and came up with some good defence early on. Made a few hitups without any real impact, but his involvement rate looked fine to me and I think he's in for a better season than last year.

14. Iosefa - Still came up with a few misses in D when he rushed out of the line. I think Joel Luani has the potential to put enough pressure on Iosefa to become Farah's backup this year.

15. BMM - His hands let him down a couple of times but otherwise he looked strong. Got completely mixed up with Bodene Thompson in one run and looked to have seriously hurt himself, but then bounced back up. He looks fitter than last year and showed good leg speed.

16. Thompson - Bigger than Pettybourne but still doesn't look particularly big out on the field. Strong bugger though and played front row with decent effect. Made decent metres up the middle of the field, and whereas Buchanan (who was decent) got stopped in his tracks a few times, Bodene would continue to surge forward with 2 or 3 players hanging off him. He looks to be another promising signing given how little football he's played over the last 12 months as he will surely improve.

Big Ava - Didn't get a lot of game time due to copping a high shot and playing the ball backwards because he was wearing his balls as earrings, so he was promptly taken off, which was a shame because he looks promising.

Tedesco - Scored a try but didn't field a lot of kick returns. He looks to have come back well from his knee reco though and showed good footwork, speed and strength and his support play is first class. He'll play FG this year for sure, just a question of when.

Mr T - Replaced Utai on the right wing and got a couple of hitups. The big fella takes some putting down, but didn't receive any ball on the end of backline plays. Physically he's a weapon and looks fitter than last year. Can play in the forwards or backs so he's got some utility value which could come in handy.

Nofoaluma - Got a brief run towards the end and I don't think FG is beyond him at all given how he played in the State Cup side. Kind of like Utai but a bit taller and quicker. Has an uncanny knack for breaking tackles.

A couple of other players got brief stints, but nothing to really comment on here.

Saw a few of the injured Tigers...Groat is wearing a moonboot, Woods looked fit and surprisingly lean, or at least he did to Ink and I, but we were looking from the upper grandstand and looks can be deceiving. Woods stated he will be right for round 1, so everyone relax. Gavet, Fulton and Tuqiri were also there. Didn't notice young Sirro at all.

Also, Matt Bell didn't play. Don't know why so I'm not sure whether he picked up an injury or otherwise.

The Tigers will get a tougher test against bogey team the Roosters next Saturday. They'll be a physically big side once again so it will be interesting to see how the bulked up Tigers handle them.

Hope the rundown gives people some idea on how we went last night. If I had to pick a top 3:

3 points - Marshall
2 points - Galloway
1 point - Pettybourne

There were no duds out there though :P

Oh, and on a sidenote, Erin Molan, the blond sports reporter from channel 9 was there...Damn :shock: She was in fine, fine form ;)

Post by Guest » Sun 17 Feb, 2013 8:00 am

willow wrote:Okie dokie, I managed to watch all three grades today and will give a run down on each:

Holden Cup:

My my Payten has a difficult job ahead of him. Not for the lack of talent, but too much. He ran two squads as all would know, with an even mix of last year's NYC team and the newbies stepping up from SG Ball and Keebra Park.

Biggest things that I noticed were:

We look to be light on in the front row department once again. Payten ran with two front rowers barely weighing more than 90kg while the Eels trotted out a couple of units weighing at least 115kg. Nathan Brown will be handy but I'm not sure who will partner him. Possibly Kyle Lovett but the two biggest units at Payten's disposal - Richard Ene and Paula Fangaloka, barely got any game time. Dallas Graham wasn't bad...

Different story with the backrow and Payten has a plethora of talent here, along with some decent size to boot. Andrew Vela looked solid after a long layoff with injury, while Salesi Funaki, Daniel Rakvin and Shane Lalogafau all look solid and more than capable. Brendan Santi was good and looked to be the fittest bloke out there, tackling everything.

Kurtis Rowe should have the fullback spot sewn up and was good today. Wingers and centres look to be a bit more difficult to choose from. Nathan Milone and Leva Li would probably be my first choice centres based on today. Both boys are reasonably built and looked good. We don't have any genuine speedsters on the wings from what I saw which is a bit of a shame.

Half and five eighth will be interesting. Mitchell Moses will eventually find his way into the 6 jersey. Not sure who will nail the halfback spot. Luke Brooks would have been my first choice, but he looks destined to play State Cup unless there's a reversal leading into round 1. Manaia Rudolph or Billy Kitt look to be the other options but it will be interesting to see what squad Payten rolls with next week against the Chooks.

State Cup:

Wests Tigers started slowly I thought, turning over cheap ball early on before they slowly found their groove and proceeded to dominate the first half as they looked the stronger and sharper of the two sides. Luke Brooks looked to organise play well and had a good kicking game. The forwards were pretty good as a unit and Tedesco got more involved as the half went, popping up all over the place in support.

Mr T ended up on the wing but didn't get to touch the ball until about the 28th minute or something ridiculous like that. You could just see him waiting out there, watching...buggered if Wenty kicked the ball anywhere near him. BMM was hot and cold. Came up with a couple of handling errors, but also looked pretty fit and mobile and certainly strong. Barged his way over from one powerful run and will probably be coming off the bench in FG if I had to guess right now.

The second half saw a host of the Tigers top players come off, and the spring in their step faded while Wenty started to claw their way back. They looked the more energetic side in the second half but the Tigers somehow managed to hold on despite looking like they would be overrun. Overall it was rusty, but I think they'll be in for a good season. David Nofoaluma was probably the best player out there. Took plenty of stopping and wouldn't look out of place in FG if injuries strike.

First Grade:

Ok, so it was only a trial, but the Tigers looked to be a far more cohesive unit than the Eels. The Eels were unlucky not to score 3 first half tries. They caught Ayshford and Utai short twice, and Koroibete once in the first half, but forward passes and knock ons let them down. It was the story of their night really, each time they looked to set something up, the ball went to ground and the Tigers made them pay.

The Tigers on the other hand looked pretty handy. Discipline looked good, defence at times was excellent, kicking game was ok and the overall attack was good for a trial match, although it faded noticeably when Marshall and Farah left the field.

I'll run through most of the players (some only played cameo roles late in the game):

1. Moltzen - Ran the ball back straight which was good to see, although didn't have much of an opportunity otherwise. Moved to 6 once Benji came off and might be a handy backup here, although I suspect young Sirro might have something to say when he returns. I see no reason why he won't start at fullback in round 1.

2. Koroibete - Exciting is the best way to put it. Bloody strong and quick and looks set to build on last year. Scored a cracker of a try from a well placed downtown kick from Benji which bounced perfectly for him, and Mullaney, despite being no slouch couldn't go with Koro as he scored under the sticks. Could have had 2 tries if he could have reeled in a well placed grubber from Anasta. Needs to be careful with his defensive positioning.

3. Lawrence - Didn't do much in the first half, ran from dummyhalf a couple of times and looked sharp, but otherwise wasn't noticed. Evidently did enough to satisfy Potter as Reddy played the second 40.

4. Ayshford - Got caught out in defence twice, and needs to be careful here because despite being a good mover, he's not an outright speedster as we found out after he got run down from making an intercept. Looked ok overall though.

5. Utai - Same as last year, runs as hard as he can and takes a lot of stopping. Dropped one bomb but otherwise solid.

6. Marshall - Toyed with the Eels and looked a class above when he decided to inject himself on occasion. The move back to 6 looks a good one and he came up with some nice touches...the downtown kick for Koro, an excellent cut out pass for Utai to score, even managed to put big Keithy into a massive hole. Came off after 50 minutes and his speed looked fine out there for anyone doubting he's slowed down a lot.

7. Miller - Busy organising game and did his fair share of general kicking. I liked the look of him and he should develop into a good 7 with time and patience. Came up with a great cover tackle down the sideline too.

19. Buchanan - Got through plenty of work although I didn't think he put much of a dent in the Eels line. He's fit though and he'll be one to watch as the season goes, as I think he'll definitely improve. Needs to work on his leg drive, but this will come over the next couple of years. He's only a baby as far as front rowers go but looks to be a decent signing. Looked good in defence.

9. Farah - Nothing bad to say and he looked fine out there, played well within himself and that's fine by me at this stage.

10. Galloway - Looks a bit bigger up top than last year and played some decent minutes. Strong game overall.

11. Anasta - Looked handy on the left edge and bagged a double. I think he'll keep Fulton out of the starting side at this stage.

12. Pettyourne - Not a big looking fellow at all, but geez he hit hard in defence early on and really whacked some of the Eels. Looks to be a good signing.

13. Blair - Busy and came up with some good defence early on. Made a few hitups without any real impact, but his involvement rate looked fine to me and I think he's in for a better season than last year.

14. Iosefa - Still came up with a few misses in D when he rushed out of the line. I think Joel Luani has the potential to put enough pressure on Iosefa to become Farah's backup this year.

15. BMM - His hands let him down a couple of times but otherwise he looked strong. Got completely mixed up with Bodene Thompson in one run and looked to have seriously hurt himself, but then bounced back up. He looks fitter than last year and showed good leg speed.

16. Thompson - Bigger than Pettybourne but still doesn't look particularly big out on the field. Strong bugger though and played front row with decent effect. Made decent metres up the middle of the field, and whereas Buchanan (who was decent) got stopped in his tracks a few times, Bodene would continue to surge forward with 2 or 3 players hanging off him. He looks to be another promising signing given how little football he's played over the last 12 months as he will surely improve.

Big Ava - Didn't get a lot of game time due to copping a high shot and playing the ball backwards because he was wearing his balls as earrings, so he was promptly taken off, which was a shame because he looks promising.

Tedesco - Scored a try but didn't field a lot of kick returns. He looks to have come back well from his knee reco though and showed good footwork, speed and strength and his support play is first class. He'll play FG this year for sure, just a question of when.

Mr T - Replaced Utai on the right wing and got a couple of hitups. The big fella takes some putting down, but didn't receive any ball on the end of backline plays. Physically he's a weapon and looks fitter than last year. Can play in the forwards or backs so he's got some utility value which could come in handy.

Nofoaluma - Got a brief run towards the end and I don't think FG is beyond him at all given how he played in the State Cup side. Kind of like Utai but a bit taller and quicker. Has an uncanny knack for breaking tackles.

A couple of other players got brief stints, but nothing to really comment on here.

Saw a few of the injured Tigers...Groat is wearing a moonboot, Woods looked fit and surprisingly lean, or at least he did to Ink and I, but we were looking from the upper grandstand and looks can be deceiving. Woods stated he will be right for round 1, so everyone relax. Gavet, Fulton and Tuqiri were also there. Didn't notice young Sirro at all.

Also, Matt Bell didn't play. Don't know why so I'm not sure whether he picked up an injury or otherwise.

The Tigers will get a tougher test against bogey team the Roosters next Saturday. They'll be a physically big side once again so it will be interesting to see how the bulked up Tigers handle them.

Hope the rundown gives people some idea on how we went last night. If I had to pick a top 3:

3 points - Marshall
2 points - Galloway
1 point - Pettybourne

There were no duds out there though :P

Oh, and on a sidenote, Erin Molan, the blond sports reporter from channel 9 was there...Damn :shock: She was in fine, fine form ;)
Thanks for the rundown.

Sounds promising, but It doesn't sound like Parra fielded a strong side. Next week will be interesting.

Posted using RoarFEED 2013

Boonboon2

Post by Boonboon2 » Sun 17 Feb, 2013 8:03 am

Thanks Willow great report and good too see we looked in great form , I'm especially happy our props were dominant given we were short of woods and bell

king sirro

Post by king sirro » Sun 17 Feb, 2013 8:16 am

Nice job Willow.

I like what you say about Pettybourne and Thompson.
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS

weststigers4life

Post by weststigers4life » Sun 17 Feb, 2013 8:28 am

Much appreciated Willow for a detailed rundown on all three grades & the FG player summary's to help paint a picture for those people that didn't go.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sun 17 Feb, 2013 8:31 am

Good summary willow.....also might be interesting to some, Brooks was on the bench for 1sts tho pretty sure he didnt get on as we left after the last try with about 8 to go.

Agree with someone else posting Galloway looked quicker, hopefully his foot surgery was succesful

goatboy

Post by goatboy » Sun 17 Feb, 2013 8:35 am

Thanks for the rundown Willow.

Posted using RoarFEED 2013

tigersrule4life

Post by tigersrule4life » Sun 17 Feb, 2013 8:36 am

Thanks Willow for all the details of the players how good is it to see Braith Anasta putting grubbers for Markia it just gets you excited with how much kicking options we have on the field.
Last edited by tigersrule4life on Sun 17 Feb, 2013 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

BenjiMagic96

Post by BenjiMagic96 » Sun 17 Feb, 2013 9:25 am

Thanks Willow, good work.

fulleightyminutes

Post by fulleightyminutes » Sun 17 Feb, 2013 9:56 am

Appreciate the detail and analysis, Willow. Like everyone I worry about our front row stocks, but great to hear Thompson mighe be more effective in this role than I thought. And great to hear that Miller did enough to hold his own around Marshall and Farah is a good sign too. I forget that it took a long time before Lui became a threat in attack in his own right, hope just being there took a lot of pressure off Marshall. And he tackles! Cheers

Swordy

Post by Swordy » Sun 17 Feb, 2013 10:06 am

Good Job Willow. Much appreciated
Sunshine Coast resident.
Tigers fan since birth in 1969.
Fond memories of Leichhardt Oval every home game as a kid with my Dad!

bp tiger

Post by bp tiger » Sun 17 Feb, 2013 10:14 am

OH Willow Peter Peters got sacked for his comments on good sorts, will this forum have to ban you for your comments. Ok say two hail marys and next time post a photo, lol. and cheers for the great write up.

alexaki

Post by alexaki » Sun 17 Feb, 2013 10:21 am

Ah... the Willow report....how lucky are we to have this man reporting for us!...reading the reports I felt as if I was at the game....Thanks Willow great read!.....

Deano1

Post by Deano1 » Sun 17 Feb, 2013 10:40 am

Great report Willow. I watched all three games as well, probably just under where you and Ink were and wouldn't have been able to say it any different.

Nofu was definitely a standout in State cup.

Just an add on....I've read Bell didn't play due to being a bit crook, so no injury worries there and I spotted young Sirro sitting up the back of the team area having a laugh with some of his NYC mates and his old man. :)

willow

Post by willow » Sun 17 Feb, 2013 10:53 am

innsaneink wrote:Good summary willow.....also might be interesting to some, Brooks was on the bench for 1sts tho pretty sure he didnt get on as we left after the last try with about 8 to go.

Agree with someone else posting Galloway looked quicker, hopefully his foot surgery was succesful
Actually Brooks did get a run towards the end Ink. Didn't get much of an opportunity, but the fact that he played a full game in State Cup and then backed up for firsts...I think he'll get a run in FG, as I mentioned to you yesterday, but he's got to handle himself in State Cup and stand out before I'd throw him in the deep end. I'd rather see Benji shift to 7 and move Sirro to 6 than see Brooks get thrown to the wolves so to speak, given he's only just come out of SG Ball. I thought the Benji/Sirro combo worked well until Sirro did his shoulder so I think that would be the safer option if Miller isn't there for any reason.

willow

Post by willow » Sun 17 Feb, 2013 10:57 am

fulleightyminutes wrote:Appreciate the detail and analysis, Willow. Like everyone I worry about our front row stocks, but great to hear Thompson mighe be more effective in this role than I thought. And great to hear that Miller did enough to hold his own around Marshall and Farah is a good sign too. I forget that it took a long time before Lui became a threat in attack in his own right, hope just being there took a lot of pressure off Marshall. And he tackles! Cheers
Yeah Thompson looked good and surprised me, because he said he was rusty as hell against Penrith and wasn't happy with his performance. The Eels will boast one of the smaller packs this year from what I saw last night. The Tigers were physically bigger across the park but each time Thompson hit the line, he bent it, and had very good leg drive. If players like Buchanan and Groat (when he returns from injury) can bend the line like Thompson, I'll feel much more confident about the Tigers prop depth. It's a shame Gavet is injured too because I think he'd probably be in a similar situation to Thompson, in that he hits the line hard and doesn't submit in the tackle.

Pettybourne did it well too for a bloke who looks pretty small.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sun 17 Feb, 2013 11:02 am

willow wrote:
innsaneink wrote:Good summary willow.....also might be interesting to some, Brooks was on the bench for 1sts tho pretty sure he didnt get on as we left after the last try with about 8 to go.

Actually Brooks did get a run towards the end Ink. Didn't get much of an opportunity, but the fact that he played a full game in State Cup and then backed up for firsts...I think he'll get a run in FG, as I mentioned to you yesterday, but he's got to handle himself in State Cup and stand out before I'd throw him in the deep end. I'd rather see Benji shift to 7 and move Sirro to 6 than see Brooks get thrown to the wolves so to speak, given he's only just come out of SG Ball. I thought the Benji/Sirro combo worked well until Sirro did his shoulder so I think that would be the safer option if Miller isn't there for any reason.
Good to hear, I'm sure Potter will be patient with him....hes got a way to go but its clear MP has a high regard for him and the brief stint will only do him good

tigeress

Post by tigeress » Sun 17 Feb, 2013 11:06 am

Willow, great to read your report on the trial between Tigers & Eels. It's good to get your take on how the players performed. I hope you will continue with your excellent reports during the season proper :D