New state-based competitions from 2018..

Wests Tigers State Cup Discussion
Tiger Watto
Has liked: 98 times
Been liked: 75 times

Re: New state-based competitions from 2018..

Unread post by Tiger Watto » Tue 22 Nov, 2016 11:29 am

Balmain Boy wrote:
snowleopard wrote:Am thinking this change was the reason behind McDonell being moved on. No more NYC=No more Keebra=No need
Huh? so the NYC becomes the NSWYC instead of the NYC. What does this change? Very little. You still need kids, there's still an equivalent comp. If anything it could improve the need for Keebra. Maybe we would want to have a state cup team in both NSW and QLD?

Are Easts Tigers affiliated with anyone? Even if in name alone they'd be a good fit.

Either way, at the very least Wests Tigers will have a presence in NSW Cup and the new youth comp in NSW.
As mentioned, East Tigers are presently aligned with Melbourne until the end of the 2018 season. Brisbane Broncos are also keen to form a partnership once this finishes.

Looking to the future, Easts have just signed a development arrangement with the South Australia Rugby League where they will run and over-see SARL Junior Rep Programs and providing a pathway into Qld Cup for their players. Our initial outlay was $100k in grants to the SARL, plus providing Coaching & Development Programs.

Easts Tigers have a Vision!
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

Cultured Bogan
Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 138 times

Unread post by Cultured Bogan » Tue 22 Nov, 2016 11:42 am

You'll probably find a lot less kids looking to neck themselves when they know that they're not on the scrap heap if they don't make grade by the time they hit 20.
John Wayne would never use a surge protector!

Fuerza en la adversidad.

Tiger Watto
Has liked: 98 times
Been liked: 75 times

Unread post by Tiger Watto » Tue 22 Nov, 2016 11:55 am

Cultured Bogan wrote:You'll probably find a lot less kids looking to neck themselves when they know that they're not on the scrap heap if they don't make grade by the time they hit 20.
Being closer to home will play a big role also... For example in Qld, we have 14 teams all the way from Cairns to Tweed that will be running the program instead of 3 NRL Clubs. Obviously talent will be poached etc, but if clubs form alliances they can allow the kids to stay closer to home instead of dragging them to Sydney in a hurry?

After seeing some of the fall-out, I think this will be a far better system.
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

Balmain Boy
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 24 times

Unread post by Balmain Boy » Tue 22 Nov, 2016 12:31 pm

Tiger Watto wrote:The whole point of moving the 20's back to the State Leagues is to allow the talent to grow and mature closer to home. With the make up of the 2 states running a 20's program separately, a presence in Qld is a must if we want to identify/develop talent on an even playing field...

Focusing purely on talent within the Sydney/NSW market space is crazy... We need a National Presence to be a successful National Franchise within the NRL!
100%

Rafaelcap

Unread post by Rafaelcap » Fri 24 Mar, 2017 3:05 pm

Hello there = Im from Ohio and also new to this board So far, lots of great info tho

jirskyr
Has liked: 112 times
Been liked: 124 times

Unread post by jirskyr » Fri 24 Mar, 2017 3:13 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Thu 17 Nov, 2016 7:45 pm
Look it has some good ideas , but I see that places like Brisbane and the Warriors will benefit the most from this which isn't what the game needs

And it will put more pressure on the Sydney based clubs to produce players

Nextly does Keebra Park become null and void in real terms for the WT's
Why don't we want Auckland to benefit? League in NZ has miles to go.

happy tiger
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 37 times

Unread post by happy tiger » Fri 24 Mar, 2017 6:50 pm

jirskyr wrote:
Fri 24 Mar, 2017 3:13 pm
happy tiger wrote:
Look it has some good ideas , but I see that places like Brisbane and the Warriors will benefit the most from this which isn't what the game needs

NZ is a sleeping giant , they win a premiership and became continual force they will draw fans out of the woodwork

They get it together and they will become bigger than the Broncos , mark my words

yeti
Been liked: 12 times

Unread post by yeti » Fri 24 Mar, 2017 7:42 pm

Rafaelcap wrote:
Fri 24 Mar, 2017 3:05 pm
Hello there = Im from Ohio and also new to this board So far, lots of great info tho
Welcome to the WestsTigers forum mate. Lots of good stuff, lots of crap, lots of fun!
Enjoy!

jirskyr

Unread post by jirskyr » Fri 24 Mar, 2017 10:20 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Fri 24 Mar, 2017 6:50 pm
jirskyr wrote:
happy tiger wrote:

NZ is a sleeping giant , they win a premiership and became continual force they will draw fans out of the woodwork

They get it together and they will become bigger than the Broncos , mark my words
Still don't see a problem?

steve-o
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 27 times

Unread post by steve-o » Fri 24 Mar, 2017 10:41 pm

Rafaelcap wrote:
Fri 24 Mar, 2017 3:05 pm
Browns fan? Benegals? Cavs? Indians? Buckeyes?
Year of last finals appearance:
2017 - Storm, Roosters, Broncos, Eels, Sharks, Sea Eagles, Panthers, Cowboys
2016 - Raiders, Bulldogs, Titans
2015 - Rabbitohs, Dragons
2013 - Knights
2011 - Tigers, Warriors

happy tiger

Unread post by happy tiger » Fri 24 Mar, 2017 10:57 pm

jirskyr wrote:
Fri 24 Mar, 2017 10:20 pm
happy tiger wrote:
jirskyr wrote:
happy tiger wrote:

We have been reliant on local talent and Kiwi talent , last thing we need is to see less talent coming our way , especially when the Sydney market is so congested

Maybe if we became the West Wellington Tigers because we can't sustain our place in the Sydney market their might be a problem to see

We need to become better at recruiting , we can't rely solely on local players

If it gets harder our job becomes harder , last thing we need , you reckon ??

Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 225 times
Been liked: 346 times

Unread post by Geo. » Fri 24 Mar, 2017 11:02 pm

lol you almost had me until.... NZ will win a Comp...
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
Tiger Watto wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:07 am
Geo nailed it...

happy tiger

Unread post by happy tiger » Fri 24 Mar, 2017 11:21 pm

Geo. wrote:
Fri 24 Mar, 2017 11:02 pm
lol you almost had me until.... NZ will win a Comp...
If the Tigers can win one ,anything's possible :lol:

jirskyr

Unread post by jirskyr » Sat 25 Mar, 2017 10:51 am

happy tiger wrote:
Fri 24 Mar, 2017 10:57 pm
jirskyr wrote:
Fri 24 Mar, 2017 10:20 pm
happy tiger wrote:
jirskyr wrote:

We have been reliant on local talent and Kiwi talent , last thing we need is to see less talent coming our way , especially when the Sydney market is so congested

Maybe if we became the West Wellington Tigers because we can't sustain our place in the Sydney market their might be a problem to see

We need to become better at recruiting , we can't rely solely on local players

If it gets harder our job becomes harder , last thing we need , you reckon ??
Well what if increased success in NZ grows the total game there and introduces more players / competes more strongly with rugby?

Your argument seems to be that if a side becomes dominant in a region then nobody else will get a look at the players from that region... doesn't seem to work for the Tigers, though I appreciate there are 9 local sides, but doesn't really work that way for Brisbane either, the other QLD clubs still can buy in.

Ultimately I think you want to maximally grow the game in all locations, so the overall pool of talent increases. And then the salary cap ensures that pool gets distributed more or less evenly.

So if you introduced another Kiwi team right now, today, does it serve to pull Kiwi players out of Australian teams over time? Maybe initially like Gold Coast there is some talent relocation, but the idea is given enough time you develop and pull players in from the local comp.

Part of the reason I'd support aggressive expansion further into NZ than Melbourne, at least Kiwis are familiar with and often play rugby league, Melbourne's been outrageously successful for almost 20 years and they appear to be maxing-out at 40K core fans, 15 amateur clubs and about 1000 registered players.

By way of comparison there are approx 24K registered players in NZ. Victoria is achieving increases in school-based RL participation, but I don't think that's transferring into long-term participation, i.e. weekends, more like school carnival and skills-type stuff I believe.

Sabre
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 15 times

Unread post by Sabre » Sat 25 Mar, 2017 12:49 pm

Did this get bumped by a bot?

Return to “Wests Tigers State Cup”