Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 44 times

Re: Magpies to be 2018 ISP team?

Unread post by Swordy » Sat 03 Jun, 2017 7:52 am

jirskyr wrote:
Fri 02 Jun, 2017 11:19 am
I'm an old Balmain supporter and I don't care actually. Makes sense to me to keep the brand consistent all grades, but really what difference does it make?

Currently Canberra are fed by Mounties, Cronulla by Newtown, Manly by Blacktown, Eels by Wenty, Souths by North Sydney, Stains by the Cutters, Roosters by Wyong. That means of all the NSW and ACT NRL clubs, only 4 have stand-alone ISP sides.

Sure it's a bit of a touchy subject for us, but really after 17.5 seasons who really cares what the feeder team is called?

And even if they come out and say it's a nod to the primary financiers, Wests Magpies, well so be it, it's true and they are allowed to ask for recognition.
I too am an old Balmain supporter and agree 100%
Sunshine Coast resident.
Tigers fan since birth in 1969.
Fond memories of Leichhardt Oval every home game as a kid with my Dad!

innsaneink
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 187 times

Unread post by innsaneink » Sat 03 Jun, 2017 7:52 am

mightymagpie wrote:
Sat 03 Jun, 2017 12:53 am
On a similar but different topic - does anyone know why our ISP team ran around in Ryde Eastwood jerseys the other week?
I only follow ISP looking at scores as they're posted on my twitter feed and happened to notice these jerseys
I've seen photos of them a few weeks back in a black white and red number

strrretch

Unread post by strrretch » Sat 03 Jun, 2017 8:23 am

Sounds like it's an effort to placate supporters of the old Wests block. Can't see any other reason for such a move. Let's hope it does not resurrect the feud we thought was done and dusted .

Yossarian
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 106 times

Unread post by Yossarian » Sat 03 Jun, 2017 8:29 am

diedpretty wrote:
Sat 03 Jun, 2017 12:16 am
innsaneink wrote:
Fri 02 Jun, 2017 9:58 pm
Sounds like a few years ago when Wests Reggie's were the senior team for Cambo... (BRET were Balmains version)... All we had back then we're complaints from the Macarthur... Anyway good luck to all concerned... Was so much simpler back in the day
Thats a load of BS Ink - and you and Yossarian know why the Macarthur region whinged - Tim Sheens with another of his sheenius ideas decided to cut Wests out of the loop and send all NRL players not picked back to BRET and none to Wests leaving them with park footballers in a state cup competition. Thats certainly worked out well in the long run. Now the shoes on the other foot - there is no BRET and look who is whingeing now.
That's some solid revisionism there. Your last sentence speaks volumes.

shakey4d
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 6 times

Unread post by shakey4d » Sat 03 Jun, 2017 9:12 am

Does anyone know of new NRL rules around this? I thought that I read about this months ago that there was going to be a separation of nrl and isp. That every nrl team had to be 'linked' to one feeder isp team but that team would NOT be the same 'brand' as NRL. Does anyone know if the other 4 teams that currently have the same brand in isp will b changing next year? The decision for WT to use Wests magpies came out a few months ago. I see no problem with it. But it would be good if it was consistent across all teams.

Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 337 times

Unread post by Geo. » Sat 03 Jun, 2017 10:22 am

Ivan may have jumped the gun...NSWRL are still twiddling there thumbs as to what the NSW ISP Cup will be in 2018...Probably fighting for the funding model with the NRL
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
Tiger Watto wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:07 am
Geo nailed it...

underdog
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 28 times

Unread post by underdog » Sat 03 Jun, 2017 1:00 pm

Yossarian wrote:
Sat 03 Jun, 2017 8:29 am
diedpretty wrote:
innsaneink wrote:
Fri 02 Jun, 2017 9:58 pm
Sounds like a few years ago when Wests Reggie's were the senior team for Cambo... (BRET were Balmains version)... All we had back then we're complaints from the Macarthur... Anyway good luck to all concerned... Was so much simpler back in the day
Thats a load of BS Ink - and you and Yossarian know why the Macarthur region whinged - Tim Sheens with another of his sheenius ideas decided to cut Wests out of the loop and send all NRL players not picked back to BRET and none to Wests leaving them with park footballers in a state cup competition. Thats certainly worked out well in the long run. Now the shoes on the other foot - there is no BRET and look who is whingeing now.
That's some solid revisionism there. Your last sentence speaks volumes.
...hang on, didn't Sheens and WT only do that because it was more convenient Geographically to Concord where the team is effectively based than it was Campbelltown?

Honestly didn't think it was a power play - and I grew up in the Macarthur Area.

innsaneink
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 187 times

Unread post by innsaneink » Sat 03 Jun, 2017 1:10 pm

It was the head coaches opinion that decision was best for the senior team... Hard to argue imo (and I was one of his biggest critics and an ex magpie)

Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Unread post by Geo. » Sun 04 Jun, 2017 10:38 am

Well Well..

From Wests Magpies facebook..

Planning for NSWRL Season 2018

Wests Magpies & Wests Tigers are CLOSELY working together regarding a future strategy for ISP (Reserve Grade) and SYC (state based u/20s) for season 2018 & Beyond.

Wests Tigers strategy on setup for next years ISP and SYC is yet to be formally ratified and Wests Tigers are also working with Wests Magpies on the setup of the overall organisation for 2018.

Members & Supporters will be advised of Wests Magpies Teams 2018 participation once everything is locked in place.
Ivan's Laws

Tiger Watto wrote:
Geo nailed it...

Yossarian

Unread post by Yossarian » Sun 04 Jun, 2017 10:56 am

So what does this mean? Only first grade will be Wests Tigers? A whole series of Wests Magpies teams leading into a Wests Tigers NRL team?

Harvey
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 76 times

Unread post by Harvey » Sun 04 Jun, 2017 11:03 am

How many junior teams (SG Ball etc) do we actually have? Balmain and Wests, who do West Sydney Academy of sport link to in NRL?

Yossarian

Unread post by Yossarian » Sun 04 Jun, 2017 11:08 am

Balmain and Wests Magpies have Harold Matthews and SG Ball (15s and 17s). Then there is a WT academy team (not the Western Sydney one).

Carefactor
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 4 times

Unread post by Carefactor » Mon 05 Jun, 2017 11:53 am

mightymagpie wrote:
Sat 03 Jun, 2017 12:53 am
On a similar but different topic - does anyone know why our ISP team ran around in Ryde Eastwood jerseys the other week?
I only follow ISP looking at scores as they're posted on my twitter feed and happened to notice these jerseys
They wear the Ryde strip as an away jumper.

Tiger Steve
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 65 times

Unread post by Tiger Steve » Mon 05 Jun, 2017 5:45 pm

I have only posted a couple of times but have been a rusted on tigers supporter for over 40 years. I understand the point of view that NRL is most important but I can't help thinking this is a decision made by the w magpies dominant board. Don't get me wrong - I am solid wests tigers, and that's the point - I want to support wests tigers. I used to love going to the footy and watching 3 quality games that I am emotionally involved in. I'm an old Balmain supporter so have no emotional attachment to a magpies team. I think many old Balmain supporters will agree. Whether we go to ANZ, Leichhardt or Campbelltown we should be supporting 3 wests tigers teams.

Abraham
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 21 times

Unread post by Abraham » Tue 06 Jun, 2017 1:26 pm

diedpretty wrote:
You didn't mention WHY the players were sent to Balmain and not the Magpies.

Sheens wanted a single Wests Tigers Reserve Grade side so they could run the same game sheets as the NRL side, making it easier to bring players up through the ranks. It was also going to save the club about half a million dollars per season to run a unified reggies team.

But Western Suburbs refused and wanted to remain a stand alone Reserve Grade side, so they went their own way. And ended up getting flogged 64-Nil every week.

It had nothing to do with perceived favoritism for Balmain, and everything to do with Wests RLFC not wanting to do what was best for the NRL Side at the time (and then hilariously trying to become the feeder club for St George-Illawarra).

This recent decision is just bringing back old divisions at a time when we are finally unified throughout all the senior ranks... one step forward and two steps back.

cktiger
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 15 times

Unread post by cktiger » Tue 06 Jun, 2017 1:57 pm

Plenty of people wanted the same brand across all three grades and now we take a backward step.
Does anybody seriously think the young supporters who had no allegiance to either of the old clubs will throw their support behind Wests Magpies and start chanting 'Go the Maggies'?
They are WestsTiger supporters.
Also, if you believe this is being done to shore up our presence in the Macarthur region you are kidding yourself as the current WestsTigers do a lot of work out there - despite the local council being more a hindrance than a help.

Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Unread post by Geo. » Tue 06 Jun, 2017 2:03 pm

Yes definitely...the 120 odd people who actually follow the ISP and could tell you the names of the players or even the Coach will be reduced to about 60...
Ivan's Laws

Tiger Watto wrote:
Geo nailed it...

cktiger
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 15 times

Unread post by cktiger » Tue 06 Jun, 2017 2:15 pm

Geo. wrote:
Tue 06 Jun, 2017 2:03 pm
Yes definitely...the 120 odd people who actually follow the ISP and could tell you the names of the players or even the Coach will be reduced to about 60...
I think you'd be wrong about that Geo.
I remember back (a bloody long way) to when I was a kid passionately following my team.
I wanted to know who was playing reserve grade(back then)so I knew who to look forward seeing come through to firsts - same with third grade.
Unfortunately it's pretty well impossible to go see all the grades now.

Return to “Wests Tigers State Cup”