Magpies to be 2018 ISP team?

Wests Tigers State Cup Discussion
Patts

Re: Magpies to be 2018 ISP team?

Unread post by Patts » Tue 06 Jun, 2017 10:20 pm

Lots of NRL clubs use different clubs/feeder teams in the NSW Cup; and common branding isn't an issue for them. And let's be honest , if the Wests Tigers were proposing to use Ryde Eastwood or some other club as their feeder team there would be less resistance and emotion regarding this decision. But using the Wests Magpies strikes fear into the old Balmain faithful (ie, that the WT are becoming more Wests and less Balmain). I think in time fans will become comfortable with this arrangement and will cheer on the Maggies in this competition, after all it's in the Wests Tigers bests interests that they are successful. There's no suggestion, goal or chance of anything changing at NRL level so there's nothing to fear but importantly it allows Wests Ashfield to fulfill their mandate of preserving the history of the Wests Magpies while building a strong future for the Wests Tigers.

Harvey
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 78 times

Unread post by Harvey » Tue 06 Jun, 2017 10:28 pm

You don't get to watch 3 games at the ground anymore. That is lucky to happen 3 times a season. To all those that have suddenly discovered their passion for the ISP cup side, why is it that game updates are posted by the same 5 members on the forum, with many more asking for updates.

I remember the game (was it last year) where the lone fan was over the fence yelling lolly legs at the opposition kicker. That was at an NRL game and there was hardly a crowd there to drown him out.

Knuckles
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 6 times

Unread post by Knuckles » Tue 06 Jun, 2017 10:34 pm

Should be MacArthur Magpies ....

Yossarian
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 107 times

Unread post by Yossarian » Tue 06 Jun, 2017 10:34 pm

Lots of clubs aren't joint ventures. The only other one that is probably feels so embarrassed about the inequality of the joint venture that they call them Illawarra. Not Steelers mind you...

Strikes fear? I wouldn't say so but what's next? Team colours? Ground allocation? I'm happy to support Wests Tigers - I'm not going to support a barely disguised Wests Magpies a la St George. What concerns me is that I wouldn't trust the board on anything.

I don't see how being called the Magpies is going to make them any more successful. It's needlessly divisive at a time when we need unity and a common purpose. It's a powerplay that achieves little and creates ill will.

Yossarian

Unread post by Yossarian » Tue 06 Jun, 2017 10:35 pm

Knuckles wrote:
Tue 06 Jun, 2017 10:34 pm
Should be MacArthur Magpies ....
That would actually be better.

Knuckles
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 6 times

Unread post by Knuckles » Tue 06 Jun, 2017 10:41 pm

Would be more relevant ....

Tacky
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 53 times

Unread post by Tacky » Tue 06 Jun, 2017 11:06 pm

Harvey wrote:
Tue 06 Jun, 2017 10:28 pm
You don't get to watch 3 games at the ground anymore. That is lucky to happen 3 times a season. To all those that have suddenly discovered their passion for the ISP cup side, why is it that game updates are posted by the same 5 members on the forum, with many more asking for updates.

I remember the game (was it last year) where the lone fan was over the fence yelling lolly legs at the opposition kicker. That was at an NRL game and there was hardly a crowd there to drown him out.
WTF's self proclaimed #1 anarchist. President of the Michael Chee-Kam fan club

goldcoast tiger
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 57 times

Unread post by goldcoast tiger » Tue 06 Jun, 2017 11:22 pm

Yossarian wrote:
Lots of clubs aren't joint ventures. The only other one that is probably feels so embarrassed about the inequality of the joint venture that they call them Illawarra. Not Steelers mind you...

Strikes fear? I wouldn't say so but what's next? Team colours? Ground allocation? I'm happy to support Wests Tigers - I'm not going to support a barely disguised Wests Magpies a la St George. What concerns me is that I wouldn't trust the board on anything.

I don't see how being called the Magpies is going to make them any more successful. It's needlessly divisive at a time when we need unity and a common purpose. It's a powerplay that achieves little and creates ill will.
Whoever is paying the money has the right to call the team whatever they like.
Does Balmain put in ANY money at all. If not is there any timespan until they have to?
Just questions that I'd be interested to know, I don't want to get into the Balmain v Wests bun fight.

Pawsandclaws

Unread post by Pawsandclaws » Wed 07 Jun, 2017 7:16 am

Yossarian wrote:

I support the Wests Tigers but I feel the way that you do that I will not support a barely disguised Wests Magpies team. It will be interesting to see if Balmain junior players are given the opportunity to chose another ISP team to play for if they do not wish to play in the Magpies team.

Yossarian

Unread post by Yossarian » Wed 07 Jun, 2017 7:29 am

goldcoast tiger wrote:
Tue 06 Jun, 2017 11:22 pm
Yossarian wrote:

Does Balmain put in ANY money at all. If not is there any timespan until they have to?
Just questions that I'd be interested to know, I don't want to get into the Balmain v Wests bun fight.
Well I don't accept that as a reasonable argument. If Wests Ashfield decided to play in Adelaide would you wear that? The fans, the people who actually make the team viable have or should have the right to have a voice. Suggesting Wests have cart Blanche to do whatever they want without question is a ridiculous argument. In any case the NRL grant would be the biggest contributor.

Pawsandclaws

Unread post by Pawsandclaws » Wed 07 Jun, 2017 7:41 am

wtfl1981 wrote:
Fri 02 Jun, 2017 9:47 pm
Main strategic reason for a Wests Magpies ISP Team is to ensure there is a full time senior club presence in the south west. This ensures the south west remains part of the WESTS TIGERS pathway AND protects the area (which is growing rapidly) from Souths (who are aligned with St Gregs), Roosters (sniffing around Oran Park), Bulldogs (right next door keeping an eye on juniors) and Mounties (who has their home ground in Wests junior league area.

SYC (u/20s) will remain WT as both Balmain & Wests juniors feed into such.

Wests own WT.

Its all the one entity. A new ISP team for 2018 serves a few purposes including tradition which NSW Cup has with teams like Newtown & Norths. All of the above contributes to a strong and successful WESTS TIGERS. Different branded ISP teams has not stopped Dragons, Roosters, Souths and Cronulla tasting NRL premiership success in recent years.

Things are looking solid for 2018 both NRL Level and everything else in NSWRL Levels.

In terms of the South West growth area, can someone from the West Magpies inform us of what changes are being made in terms of recruitment to improve the performances of the Wests HM and SG Ball teams. Are we retaining the best of the juniors in the area or are they being pilfered by the Roosters and other cashed up Sydney Clubs?

diedpretty
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 20 times

Unread post by diedpretty » Wed 07 Jun, 2017 8:50 am

Pawsandclaws wrote:
Wed 07 Jun, 2017 7:16 am
Yossarian wrote:

I support the Wests Tigers but I feel the way that you do that I will not support a barely disguised Wests Magpies team. It will be interesting to see if Balmain junior players are given the opportunity to chose another ISP team to play for if they do not wish to play in the Magpies team.

Wests juniors didn't have a choice under Sheens when he chose to solely use BRET as the reserve grade side.

goldcoast tiger
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 57 times

Unread post by goldcoast tiger » Wed 07 Jun, 2017 9:08 am

Yossarian wrote:
Wed 07 Jun, 2017 7:29 am
goldcoast tiger wrote:
Yossarian wrote:

Well I don't accept that as a reasonable argument. If Wests Ashfield decided to play in Adelaide would you wear that? The fans, the people who actually make the team viable have or should have the right to have a voice. Suggesting Wests have cart Blanche to do whatever they want without question is a ridiculous argument. In any case the NRL grant would be the biggest contributor.
If you don't accept that , then that's fine , but the reality is , that they can call it whatever they like, fans have no say in it . It's their money. Or will Balmain put putting money towards the cost?
Not what sure what the reference to moving to Adelaide is about, no ones talking about moving anywhere. Although there are numerous NRL clubs that do have their feeder club in a different state. The Qld cup has had that situation for a long time.
Theoretically WTs could have a team in that competition if they want to and call it whatever they like.
I'm not saying that they will do that. but as WA.are the major shareholder in WTs then the reality is that decisions like the one in Question can be made by them. Some of us may not like it. But if the only one entity is putting up the money they can do whatever they decide.
I'm not saying that Balmain shouldn't have a say, but in the end it will be mostly what WAs
Want to do.

ku5tom
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Been liked: 7 times

Unread post by ku5tom » Wed 07 Jun, 2017 9:28 am

Seems pretty silly to go backwards now but I guess with a majority board they can do what they want.

Russell
Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 120 times

Unread post by Russell » Wed 07 Jun, 2017 9:39 am

goldcoast tiger wrote:
Yossarian wrote:

Then why bring it up. Divisive comment if I ever heard one.

momo&medo
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 18 times

Unread post by momo&medo » Wed 07 Jun, 2017 9:44 am

Really ...... is it that important?
It's not going backwards ..... it's just giving some deserved recognition and identity to a member of WT partnership.
Right now ...... Without the Wests group the WT would be GONE baby!
Now that may not sit well with some people but it's how it is. Amen.

Pawsandclaws

Unread post by Pawsandclaws » Wed 07 Jun, 2017 10:12 am

diedpretty wrote:
Wed 07 Jun, 2017 8:50 am
Pawsandclaws wrote:
Wed 07 Jun, 2017 7:16 am
Yossarian wrote:

Wests juniors didn't have a choice under Sheens when he chose to solely use BRET as the reserve grade side.
I believe that issue has been addressed earlier in this thread in that Sheens wanted one WTs NSW CUP side feeding into the NRL. Wests wouldn't agree even though it was going to be a WTs named side, not Balmain or Wests.

Magpie Magic
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 4 times

Unread post by Magpie Magic » Wed 07 Jun, 2017 10:35 am

Yossarian wrote:

When the Wests Group took over 75% I would have thought good will would have been generated by the set up where Balmain still is on the board with a chance to return to full 50-50 and the WT are still promoted as a 50-50 JV. Thought that was really well handled to create lots of good will. Any push by Wests to promote their share is really an attempt to push the Wests side in the JV to 50-50 in regards to public perception only. Often wonder what would have happened in reverse sadly.

In regards our juniors sadly guys like Fifita ,Hayne Hoffman and Kahu have slipped though Wests juniors while nearly all decent Balmain juniors have been promoted.

Anyway,after this year a bit over juniors really.Prefer outsiders. :brick:

Return to “Wests Tigers State Cup”