Magpies to be 2018 ISP team?

Wests Tigers State Cup Discussion
Yossarian
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 88 times

Re: Magpies to be 2018 ISP team?

Unread post by Yossarian » Wed 07 Jun, 2017 10:52 am

Jordan Kahu a Wests junior? Where is the Gold Coast and NZ? That's in Macarthur!

In any event Wests have systemic issues with their juniors that changing the ISP team name will achieve.

Yossarian

Unread post by Yossarian » Wed 07 Jun, 2017 10:56 am

goldcoast tiger wrote:
Wed 07 Jun, 2017 9:08 am
Yossarian wrote:
Wed 07 Jun, 2017 7:29 am
goldcoast tiger wrote:
Tue 06 Jun, 2017 11:22 pm
Yossarian wrote:
Tue 06 Jun, 2017 10:34 pm
Lots of clubs aren't joint ventures. The only other one that is probably feels so embarrassed about the inequality of the joint venture that they call them Illawarra. Not Steelers mind you...

Strikes fear? I wouldn't say so but what's next? Team colours? Ground allocation? I'm happy to support Wests Tigers - I'm not going to support a barely disguised Wests Magpies a la St George. What concerns me is that I wouldn't trust the board on anything.

I don't see how being called the Magpies is going to make them any more successful. It's needlessly divisive at a time when we need unity and a common purpose. It's a powerplay that achieves little and creates ill will.
Whoever is paying the money has the right to call the team whatever they like.
Does Balmain put in ANY money at all. If not is there any timespan until they have to?
Just questions that I'd be interested to know, I don't want to get into the Balmain v Wests bun fight.
Well I don't accept that as a reasonable argument. If Wests Ashfield decided to play in Adelaide would you wear that? The fans, the people who actually make the team viable have or should have the right to have a voice. Suggesting Wests have cart Blanche to do whatever they want without question is a ridiculous argument. In any case the NRL grant would be the biggest contributor.
If you don't accept that , then that's fine , but the reality is , that they can call it whatever they like, fans have no say in it . It's their money. Or will Balmain put putting money towards the cost?
Not what sure what the reference to moving to Adelaide is about, no ones talking about moving anywhere. Although there are numerous NRL clubs that do have their feeder club in a different state. The Qld cup has had that situation for a long time.
Theoretically WTs could have a team in that competition if they want to and call it whatever they like.
I'm not saying that they will do that. but as WA.are the major shareholder in WTs then the reality is that decisions like the one in Question can be made by them. Some of us may not like it. But if the only one entity is putting up the money they can do whatever they decide.
I'm not saying that Balmain shouldn't have a say, but in the end it will be mostly what WAs
Want to do.
Adelaide is clearly a hypothetical. You're basically saying the club can do whatever it wants and we as members and/or supporters should just shut up and not express opposition.

As I've said, the viability of the club is through the supporters of the club.

goldcoast tiger
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 39 times

Unread post by goldcoast tiger » Wed 07 Jun, 2017 4:25 pm

I didn't say that I think that we should shut up and not express anything.
I said that WAs pay the bills and have , and Should have , the right to make final decisions in the interests of the club. Supporters come and go over time, and unless they have a vote in the club, which we don't, there is little difference that we can do either way.
My own opinion is that some part of the club should be concentrated in the west to get more support from that huge area. Manly now have a feeder club ( or will have)in the west.
We need more of a presence in that area.

innsaneink
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 143 times
Been liked: 113 times

Unread post by innsaneink » Wed 07 Jun, 2017 4:37 pm

I didnt realise our reserve grade side had so many supporters currently

diedpretty
Been liked: 9 times

Unread post by diedpretty » Wed 07 Jun, 2017 4:49 pm

Pawsandclaws wrote:
Wed 07 Jun, 2017 10:12 am
diedpretty wrote:
Wed 07 Jun, 2017 8:50 am
Pawsandclaws wrote:
Wed 07 Jun, 2017 7:16 am
Yossarian wrote:
Lots of clubs aren't joint ventures. The only other one that is probably feels so embarrassed about the inequality of the joint venture that they call them Illawarra. Not Steelers mind you...

Strikes fear? I wouldn't say so but what's next? Team colours? Ground allocation? I'm happy to support Wests Tigers - I'm not going to support a barely disguised Wests Magpies a la St George. What concerns me is that I wouldn't trust the board on anything.

I don't see how being called the Magpies is going to make them any more successful. It's needlessly divisive at a time when we need unity and a common purpose. It's a powerplay that achieves little and creates ill will.
I support the Wests Tigers but I feel the way that you do that I will not support a barely disguised Wests Magpies team. It will be interesting to see if Balmain junior players are given the opportunity to chose another ISP team to play for if they do not wish to play in the Magpies team.

Wests juniors didn't have a choice under Sheens when he chose to solely use BRET as the reserve grade side.
I believe that issue has been addressed earlier in this thread in that Sheens wanted one WTs NSW CUP side feeding into the NRL. Wests wouldn't agree even though it was going to be a WTs named side, not Balmain or Wests.
I understand that - i was just addressing your previous comment about Balmain juniors choosing another ISP if they disagreed - i was just pointing out Wests juniors who were aligned to the NRL side weren't given the choice of who they would go to when sent back to reggies - they just went to BRET.

diedpretty
Been liked: 9 times

Unread post by diedpretty » Wed 07 Jun, 2017 4:53 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Wed 07 Jun, 2017 4:37 pm
They don't - its just funny how so many people who keep saying let it go have suddenly become very passionate about not letting it go.

Harvey
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 49 times

Unread post by Harvey » Wed 07 Jun, 2017 6:01 pm

Magpie Magic wrote:
Wed 07 Jun, 2017 10:35 am
Yossarian wrote:

When the Wests Group took over 75% I would have thought good will would have been generated by the set up where Balmain still is on the board with a chance to return to full 50-50 and the WT are still promoted as a 50-50 JV. Thought that was really well handled to create lots of good will. Any push by Wests to promote their share is really an attempt to push the Wests side in the JV to 50-50 in regards to public perception only. Often wonder what would have happened in reverse sadly.

In regards our juniors sadly guys like Fifita ,Hayne Hoffman and Kahu have slipped though Wests juniors while nearly all decent Balmain juniors have been promoted.

Anyway,after this year a bit over juniors really.Prefer outsiders. :brick:
Yes that is because Balmain were the ones with money then, that was BB(before Benny)

Harvey
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 49 times

Unread post by Harvey » Wed 07 Jun, 2017 6:04 pm

innsaneink wrote:
They don't, but the club has a lot of supposed fans that love to whinge about anything

Yossarian

Unread post by Yossarian » Wed 07 Jun, 2017 6:28 pm

Oh I'm sorry - are we not allowed to question decisions made by the board? My concerns are less about reserve grade and more about the potential future directions taken by the club. I think it's unnecessarily divisive.

Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 132 times
Been liked: 201 times

Unread post by Geo. » Wed 07 Jun, 2017 6:35 pm

It will be Wests Tigers in the NRL whilst ever the NRL exists....that is the direction...
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

momo&medo
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 8 times

Unread post by momo&medo » Wed 07 Jun, 2017 7:54 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Exactly this whole thing is just a non issue.

Lidcombe Magpie
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by Lidcombe Magpie » Wed 07 Jun, 2017 9:40 pm

Yossarian wrote:
Tue 06 Jun, 2017 10:35 pm
Knuckles wrote:
Should be MacArthur Magpies ....
That would actually be better.
100% disagree
The Magpies represent more than the MacArthur region
It was West Magpies at Campbelltown, at Lidcombe, at Pratten Park and St Lukes Park why would you ever think of calling them anything else.

innsaneink
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Unread post by innsaneink » Wed 07 Jun, 2017 10:14 pm

Yossarian wrote:
Tue 06 Jun, 2017 10:35 pm
Knuckles wrote:
Should be MacArthur Magpies ....
That would actually be better.
Why would it be better?

GNR4LIFE
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 124 times

Unread post by GNR4LIFE » Wed 07 Jun, 2017 10:23 pm

I just find it ironic for years anyone who complained about the Magpies treatment was told to ''get over it'', but now the complaining is apparently justified.

Magpie Magic
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times

Unread post by Magpie Magic » Wed 07 Jun, 2017 10:27 pm

What this thread shows is how important the founding foundation clubs are.
Listening to the board to our CEO and to Cleary I've never felt more secure with this since 2000. They speak of respecting our past and fusing it into our future which is a great direction.
Never underestimate young fans interest in history and identity to create passion which can help build a powerful brand. When I first followed RL in the 70s as a 10yo a friend and I would go to the school library at lunch to look up GFs and learn about clubs lost sadly like Annandale and Glebe. Some kids today will have this interest some won't but even those will occasionally think these 2 logos on the back of the jersey must mean something and perhaps make the club more important worth sticking with during times like these.
If anything the Wests Group is doing more to preserve both legacies into the WT than say the previous administrations while thankfully making the Wests side less invisible also guarantees Balmains legacy despite their lack of current financial contributions which would be very helpful if and when they resume. One only has to look at our coaching support staff and see how deficient we are compared to others who seem to have 2 or 3 coaches of 1st grafe experience in the box. Remember the Cowboys win and apart from Green they had Cartwright and Furner assisting both who were semi final coaches themselves.
So we need all the money we can get but things are looking good. Wish we could fast forward to the start of next year.

Tigertail

Unread post by Tigertail » Fri 09 Jun, 2017 10:22 pm

Our team should be Wests Tigers, not Balmain, not Western Suburbs, and in all grades. THAT IS THE WAY IT SHOULD BE, AND ANY OTHER WAY IS JUST SPLITTING UP OUR SUPPORT BASE. For those Magpie supporters they would be gone , finished just like Newtown, if it was not for Balmain. That's all history now, we are now Wests Tigers, we should not be reverting back to anything else. If you do, its disgraceful, and its the beginning of the end. I for one will not support this.

innsaneink
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Unread post by innsaneink » Fri 09 Jun, 2017 10:38 pm

Tigertail wrote:
Fri 09 Jun, 2017 10:22 pm
Our team should be Wests Tigers, not Balmain, not Western Suburbs, and in all grades. THAT IS THE WAY IT SHOULD BE, AND ANY OTHER WAY IS JUST SPLITTING UP OUR SUPPORT BASE. For those Magpie supporters they would be gone , finished just like Newtown, if it was not for Balmain. That's all history now, we are now Wests Tigers, we should not be reverting back to anything else. If you do, its disgraceful, and its the beginning of the end. I for one will not support this.
You aren't alone... And haven't been for years

Yoss.. Knuckles??

Tigertail

Unread post by Tigertail » Fri 09 Jun, 2017 10:49 pm

Harvey wrote:
Wed 07 Jun, 2017 6:04 pm
innsaneink wrote:
They don't, but the club has a lot of supposed fans that love to whinge about anything
The Reserve Grade does not have great following at the grounds because it rarely preceeds the First Grade game, however that may be changing next year. So having Magpies as our 2018 ISP Team is showing no respect to the Wests Tiger supporters . It just shows how childish our board is , just when we looked like getting our act together , the board comes in and stuffs it.

Return to “Wests Tigers State Cup”