Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 228 times
Been liked: 348 times

Re: Magpies to be 2018 ISP team?

Unread post by Geo. » Fri 02 Jun, 2017 1:46 pm

cktiger wrote:
Fri 02 Jun, 2017 1:34 pm
What happens if Balmain decide they want to run a team?
They can...at this stage they are looking expanding from 12 to a 16 Team NSW ISP competition...New Zealand will play in the NSW ISP Comp and there was some talk of a Fijian side as well as 2 Country based regional teams...The requirement for them is to also field teams in the NSW Under 20's format...

The only requirement from an NRL perspective is the NSW/ACT Clubs need to be aligned to an NSW ISP team..
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
Tiger Watto wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:07 am
Geo nailed it...

Tiger Watto
Has liked: 98 times
Been liked: 75 times

Unread post by Tiger Watto » Fri 02 Jun, 2017 1:47 pm

cktiger wrote:
Fri 02 Jun, 2017 1:34 pm
What happens if Balmain decide they want to run a team?
They would need to make an application to the NSWRL
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

shane2801
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 18 times

Unread post by shane2801 » Fri 02 Jun, 2017 1:51 pm

I love it.
BLACK & WHITE...DYNAMITE!!!!!

gallagher
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 51 times

Unread post by gallagher » Fri 02 Jun, 2017 1:56 pm

Did I read somewhere that an ISP team needs to field a 20's team aswell? So our under 20's will be wests magpies too?

wt00
Has liked: 230 times
Been liked: 70 times

Unread post by wt00 » Fri 02 Jun, 2017 2:02 pm

gallagher wrote:
Fri 02 Jun, 2017 1:56 pm
Did I read somewhere that an ISP team needs to field a 20's team aswell? So our under 20's will be wests magpies too?
In the Q&A they said the 20s will be named Wests Tigers
The star of the team is the team.

momo&medo
Has liked: 2 times

Unread post by momo&medo » Fri 02 Jun, 2017 2:24 pm

gallagher wrote:
Nope .... it was made clear in the interview they will be WT.

gallagher
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 51 times

Unread post by gallagher » Fri 02 Jun, 2017 2:39 pm

wt00 wrote:
Fri 02 Jun, 2017 2:02 pm
gallagher wrote:
In the Q&A they said the 20s will be named Wests Tigers
Cool I havnt had a chance to watch yet. Cheers

Tacky
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 53 times

Unread post by Tacky » Fri 02 Jun, 2017 7:43 pm

I think having the isp team separate from the NRL team makes it more special. I wasn't around to follow either balmain or the magpies but, I think it gives the Isp side a unique identity. And what better way to recognise the history of the club. Of course it leaves out Balmain but with western suburbs owning a majority it makes sense.
WTF's self proclaimed #1 anarchist. President of the Michael Chee-Kam fan club

Lidcombe Magpie
Has liked: 8 times

Unread post by Lidcombe Magpie » Fri 02 Jun, 2017 8:34 pm

Being totally biased I suppose but it makes me happy to see the Magpies team elevated out of the Ron Massey Cup. I would be just as pleased to see Balmain have a team in there as well. The Wests Tigers brand somehow for me and many others has never had the real tradition of 2 foundation clubs.

innsaneink
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 249 times
Been liked: 196 times

Unread post by innsaneink » Fri 02 Jun, 2017 8:46 pm

Only care about first grade

Lidcombe Magpie

Unread post by Lidcombe Magpie » Fri 02 Jun, 2017 8:59 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Fri 02 Jun, 2017 8:46 pm
Only care about first grade
That's fine but lots of supporters do care about the traditions of the original clubs.

wtfl1981

Unread post by wtfl1981 » Fri 02 Jun, 2017 9:47 pm

Main strategic reason for a Wests Magpies ISP Team is to ensure there is a full time senior club presence in the south west. This ensures the south west remains part of the WESTS TIGERS pathway AND protects the area (which is growing rapidly) from Souths (who are aligned with St Gregs), Roosters (sniffing around Oran Park), Bulldogs (right next door keeping an eye on juniors) and Mounties (who has their home ground in Wests junior league area.

SYC (u/20s) will remain WT as both Balmain & Wests juniors feed into such.

Wests own WT.

Its all the one entity. A new ISP team for 2018 serves a few purposes including tradition which NSW Cup has with teams like Newtown & Norths. All of the above contributes to a strong and successful WESTS TIGERS. Different branded ISP teams has not stopped Dragons, Roosters, Souths and Cronulla tasting NRL premiership success in recent years.

Things are looking solid for 2018 both NRL Level and everything else in NSWRL Levels.
WESTS TIGERS FOR LIFE!

innsaneink
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Unread post by innsaneink » Fri 02 Jun, 2017 9:58 pm

Sounds like a few years ago when Wests Reggie's were the senior team for Cambo... (BRET were Balmains version)... All we had back then we're complaints from the Macarthur... Anyway good luck to all concerned... Was so much simpler back in the day

Lidcombe Magpie

Unread post by Lidcombe Magpie » Fri 02 Jun, 2017 10:02 pm

wtfl1981 wrote:
Fri 02 Jun, 2017 9:47 pm
Main strategic reason for a Wests Magpies ISP Team is to ensure there is a full time senior club presence in the south west. This ensures the south west remains part of the WESTS TIGERS pathway AND protects the area (which is growing rapidly) from Souths (who are aligned with St Gregs), Roosters (sniffing around Oran Park), Bulldogs (right next door keeping an eye on juniors) and Mounties (who has their home ground in Wests junior league area.

Wests own WT.

Its all the one entity. A new ISP team for 2018 serves a few purposes including tradition which NSW Cup has with teams like Newtown & Norths. All of the above contributes to a strong and successful WESTS TIGERS. Different branded ISP teams has not stopped Dragons, Roosters, Souths and Cronulla tasting NRL premiership success in recent years.

Things are looking solid for 2018 both NRL Level and everything else in NSWRL Levels.
Thx for the background and update

Yossarian
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 107 times

Unread post by Yossarian » Fri 02 Jun, 2017 10:59 pm

wtfl1981 wrote:
Fri 02 Jun, 2017 9:47 pm

Wests own WT.

Sorry but that's just nonsense IMO. They've obviously got the votes to do it but you'd think after the whinging they did back in the last decade they'd think before pulling something like this. The ISP team is simply a reserve grade team - talk of pathways is ridiculous and an attempt to justify a power play.

They could base the reggies in Campbelltown and call them Wests Tigers easy enough.

The same people who used to have a megawhine about the alleged Balmain dominance seem to think this is all fine. I supported the move to a WT branded ISP team because it was sensible and fair. My personal feeling is this is a regressive step.

diedpretty
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 20 times

Unread post by diedpretty » Sat 03 Jun, 2017 12:16 am

innsaneink wrote:
Fri 02 Jun, 2017 9:58 pm
Sounds like a few years ago when Wests Reggie's were the senior team for Cambo... (BRET were Balmains version)... All we had back then we're complaints from the Macarthur... Anyway good luck to all concerned... Was so much simpler back in the day
Thats a load of BS Ink - and you and Yossarian know why the Macarthur region whinged - Tim Sheens with another of his sheenius ideas decided to cut Wests out of the loop and send all NRL players not picked back to BRET and none to Wests leaving them with park footballers in a state cup competition. Thats certainly worked out well in the long run. Now the shoes on the other foot - there is no BRET and look who is whingeing now.

mightymagpie
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by mightymagpie » Sat 03 Jun, 2017 12:53 am

On a similar but different topic - does anyone know why our ISP team ran around in Ryde Eastwood jerseys the other week?
I only follow ISP looking at scores as they're posted on my twitter feed and happened to notice these jerseys

innsaneink
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Unread post by innsaneink » Sat 03 Jun, 2017 7:46 am

diedpretty wrote:
Sat 03 Jun, 2017 12:16 am
innsaneink wrote:
Fri 02 Jun, 2017 9:58 pm
Thats a load of BS Ink - and you and Yossarian know why the Macarthur region whinged - Tim Sheens with another of his sheenius ideas decided to cut Wests out of the loop and send all NRL players not picked back to BRET and none to Wests leaving them with park footballers in a state cup competition. Thats certainly worked out well in the long run. Now the shoes on the other foot - there is no BRET and look who is whingeing now.
If its Balmain you're referring to they've only themselves to blame... They've nothing to whinge about now thanks to Benny
Sheens move was to benefit the NRL squad, which is really all I care about as well.
People whining now and back then probably have their priorities wrong.
This may be a cost saving exercise... If it protects our area as some seem to be spinning it then all well and good, but we know there'll be those that are never hapoy

Return to “Wests Tigers State Cup”