NSW Cup to be played at Lidcome in 2018

Wests Tigers State Cup Discussion
wt00
Has liked: 228 times
Been liked: 70 times

NSW Cup to be played at Lidcome in 2018

Unread post by wt00 » Tue 01 Aug, 2017 11:53 am

Wests plan return to Lidcombe
Lidcombe Oval was the scene of some of the most infamous battles in rugby league back in the 1970s and '80s when the 'Fibros' of Western Suburbs played the Manly 'Silvertails'.
All that came to an end when Wests moved further into Sydney’s west to Campbelltown in 1987 - and then subsequently merged with Balmain.
But I’m hearing the merged club is planning a return to Lidcombe in 2018, playing their NSW Cup games there instead of Campbelltown.
The move is certain to bring old time Wests fans out of the woodwork, just as it has at Newtown, who play their home games at their spiritual home ground, Henson Park.
http://wwos.nine.com.au/2017/08/01/09/1 ... r-the-mole
The star of the team is the team.

Snake
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 53 times

Unread post by Snake » Tue 01 Aug, 2017 12:37 pm

It is hard to believe ,this is out of left field .. needs confirmation from club.

Balmain Boy
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 24 times

Unread post by Balmain Boy » Tue 01 Aug, 2017 1:11 pm

Seeing NSW Cup will be the leadup game for NRL matches next season, and not the NYC, you'd think we'd just be playing wherever the NRL side is...? At least for NSW based matches.

The_Doc
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 6 times

Unread post by The_Doc » Tue 01 Aug, 2017 1:33 pm

If this is the case it would be a clear indication that Wests Ashfield want to distance themselves from Campbelltown and concentrate on that corridor which runs from the inner west to the outer edge of the west. Which ironically includes Balmain's area, Ashfield a stones throw from Leichhardt and Lidcombe not far from either. Interesting to see how this progresses.

Tigers4ever
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 4 times

Unread post by Tigers4ever » Tue 01 Aug, 2017 2:00 pm

wt00 wrote:
Tue 01 Aug, 2017 11:53 am
Wests plan return to Lidcombe
Lidcombe Oval was the scene of some of the most infamous battles in rugby league back in the 1970s and '80s when the 'Fibros' of Western Suburbs played the Manly 'Silvertails'.
All that came to an end when Wests moved further into Sydney’s west to Campbelltown in 1987 - and then subsequently merged with Balmain.
But I’m hearing the merged club is planning a return to Lidcombe in 2018, playing their NSW Cup games there instead of Campbelltown.
The move is certain to bring old time Wests fans out of the woodwork, just as it has at Newtown, who play their home games at their spiritual home ground, Henson Park.
http://wwos.nine.com.au/2017/08/01/09/1 ... r-the-mole
Great post WT00, hope it happens.

Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 337 times

Unread post by Geo. » Tue 01 Aug, 2017 2:13 pm

Balmain Boy wrote:
Tue 01 Aug, 2017 1:11 pm
Seeing NSW Cup will be the leadup game for NRL matches next season, and not the NYC, you'd think we'd just be playing wherever the NRL side is...? At least for NSW based matches.
No not entirely true...the only stipulation is that the under age comp plays on the same day and venue as the State based ISP Comp..

May be a case of NRL stands alone or 2 games before...

NSWRL need to pull their finger out and get it sorted...Lidcombe would need work to regularly hold games...rather than 1 off reunion style set ups...
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
Tiger Watto wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:07 am
Geo nailed it...

diedpretty
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 20 times

Unread post by diedpretty » Tue 01 Aug, 2017 2:33 pm

I find this a bit hard to believe - the facilities at Lidcombe are antiquated and i can't see the council spending large sums of money to upgrade the ground for 2nd tier league games. The writer of the article is " hearing " this is happening but gives no sources or quotes from anyone. I think he is getting confused with the return to Lidcombe games.

Byron Bay Fan
Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 48 times

Unread post by Byron Bay Fan » Tue 01 Aug, 2017 2:52 pm

diedpretty wrote:
Tue 01 Aug, 2017 2:33 pm
I find this a bit hard to believe - the facilities at Lidcombe are antiquated and i can't see the council spending large sums of money to upgrade the ground for 2nd tier league games. The writer of the article is " hearing " this is happening but gives no sources or quotes from anyone. I think he is getting confused with the return to Lidcombe games.
It will have to be heavily promoted at Lidcombe first because the demographics have changed a lot in the 30 years since RL has been played there. It is really a case of Spot The Aussie now, not saying they are not Aussies but they are not footy Aussies. The Lidcombe Catholic Club Dooleys drains them financially very efficiently. Of course some will follow RL but I would hate to estimate how many. The older Aussies there will be RL but will they go to a juniors game? First of all it must be Salim Mehajer honorary kicking off - then if he brings about 2,000 of his tribe with him including the bikies then all's fine.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

Cultured Bogan
Has liked: 65 times
Been liked: 137 times

Unread post by Cultured Bogan » Tue 01 Aug, 2017 3:24 pm

Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Tue 01 Aug, 2017 2:52 pm
diedpretty wrote:
It will have to be heavily promoted at Lidcombe first because the demographics have changed a lot in the 30 years since RL has been played there. It is really a case of Spot The Aussie now, not saying they are not Aussies but they are not footy Aussies. The Lidcombe Catholic Club Dooleys drains them financially very efficiently. Of course some will follow RL but I would hate to estimate how many. The older Aussies there will be RL but will they go to a juniors game? First of all it must be Salim Mehajer honorary kicking off - then if he brings about 2,000 of his tribe with him including the bikies then all's fine.
By Christ do you talk some crap.
John Wayne would never use a surge protector!

Fuerza en la adversidad.

gallagher
Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 47 times

Unread post by gallagher » Tue 01 Aug, 2017 5:42 pm

Wests leagues at Ashfield, tigers games at Homebush, training at Concord and state cup at Lidcombe.
It looks like the club is planning on making the inner west its home.

Earl
Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 83 times

Unread post by Earl » Tue 01 Aug, 2017 6:03 pm

gallagher wrote:
Tue 01 Aug, 2017 5:42 pm
Wests leagues at Ashfield, tigers games at Homebush, training at Concord and state cup at Lidcombe.
It is certainly looking that way isn't it. It's not outwardly stated but it appears to be the club it's changing it's approach. I don't know if it is some powerplay within the Wests faction but that is what it appears to be from the outside.

I really hope the fans still support the team and that includes the fans from Campbelltown.

Yossarian
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 106 times

Unread post by Yossarian » Tue 01 Aug, 2017 6:13 pm

Weren't we told the rebranding of the State Cup team to Magpies was supposedly to give a pathway for southwest Sydney players?

Yossarian
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 106 times

Unread post by Yossarian » Tue 01 Aug, 2017 6:15 pm

Earl wrote:
Tue 01 Aug, 2017 6:03 pm
gallagher wrote:
It is certainly looking that way isn't it. It's not outwardly stated but it appears to be the club it's changing it's approach. I don't know if it is some powerplay within the Wests faction but that is what it appears to be from the outside.

I really hope the fans still support the team and that includes the fans from Campbelltown.
How could it be perceived any other way?

Earl
Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 83 times

Unread post by Earl » Tue 01 Aug, 2017 6:49 pm

Yossarian wrote:
Tue 01 Aug, 2017 6:15 pm
Earl wrote:
Tue 01 Aug, 2017 6:03 pm
gallagher wrote:

How could it be perceived any other way?
I hate getting into this stuff - the internal politics of the club - however just because it looks that way it doesn't mean that it's necessarily true plus as I stated I hope the fans of the club stay supporting the club.

I should add that I have no inside information or anything like that. I'm a fan and I want this team to be successful and for it to encompass both the inner west and the macarthur areas. I'd like to think the people in charge want this to happen as well and if they don't they will be replaced with people who do want the club to be successful and to embrace all it's supporters.

Knuckles
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 6 times

Unread post by Knuckles » Tue 01 Aug, 2017 7:34 pm

Would make more sense to play at Pratten Park as its closer to the leagues club.

But to me it isn't a significant issue.

Byron Bay Fan
Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 48 times

Unread post by Byron Bay Fan » Tue 01 Aug, 2017 11:07 pm

Cultured Bogan wrote:
Tue 01 Aug, 2017 3:24 pm
Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Tue 01 Aug, 2017 2:52 pm
diedpretty wrote:
By Christ do you talk some crap.
I can also do it by Mohammed and Jehovah. I was only there two days so may have a clue what on about.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

innsaneink
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 187 times

Unread post by innsaneink » Wed 02 Aug, 2017 5:58 am

Old time Newtown fans at Henson these days?
Lol... Nice try

This would just disillusion a section of our fan base yet again... Something we seem to be good at... Not that much of a biggie tho

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 13 times

Unread post by 2041 » Fri 04 Aug, 2017 10:22 am

innsaneink wrote:
Wed 02 Aug, 2017 5:58 am
Old time Newtown fans at Henson these days?
Lol... Nice try

This would just disillusion a section of our fan base yet again... Something we seem to be good at... Not that much of a biggie tho
I'm not sure what point you're trying to make but the Jets get a pretty good crowd at Henson Park, at least for afternoon games when the weather's ok. Certainly numbers other reggies teams must envy. Who cares if they're new or old fans?

Return to “Wests Tigers State Cup”