ISP Team Announcement: Round 1

Wests Tigers State Cup Discussion
Lukic

Re: ISP Team Announcement: Round 1

Post by Lukic » Sat 10 Mar, 2018 3:54 pm

Has there ever been a team that has won NSW Cup but spooned it in the NRL? We could be a first.

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Sat 10 Mar, 2018 3:57 pm

No one played badly for the 1st game of the season I think Hodgson would be happy...completions improved throughout the game and they applied a lot of pressure with repeat sets..

3. Gamble
2. Garner
1. Anyone else really ummm..Sue..
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

steve-o

Post by steve-o » Sat 10 Mar, 2018 4:03 pm

What’s garner’s rugby league background story? I don’t know a thing about him so any insights would be appreciated
Year of last finals appearance:
2017 - Storm, Roosters, Broncos, Eels, Sharks, Sea Eagles, Panthers, Cowboys
2016 - Raiders, Bulldogs, Titans
2015 - Rabbitohs, Dragons
2013 - Knights
2011 - Tigers, Warriors

FreddyK
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by FreddyK » Sat 10 Mar, 2018 4:09 pm

Lukic wrote:
Sat 10 Mar, 2018 3:54 pm
Has there ever been a team that has won NSW Cup but spooned it in the NRL? We could be a first.
Politely disagree. Our FG side is still undecided. If Ivan bleeds Gamble into the 5/8 spot and brings back Nofo on the wing I can see us making the eight (easily). What you saw of Gamble today was not his full arsenal. He has an incredible short passing game and with him working with our FG pack I can see our team being feared by title contenders. I would also like to see Rochow running diagonal lines off him. Gamble is also excellent at supporting big forwards so I can also see him running of Matulino. He should be our FG 5/8.

Roar Power

Post by Roar Power » Sat 10 Mar, 2018 4:12 pm

Fonua tough to handle on the ground but his issues under the high ball are enough to keep him out of first grade....

Fibros

Post by Fibros » Sat 10 Mar, 2018 4:31 pm

FreddyK wrote:
Sat 10 Mar, 2018 4:09 pm
Lukic wrote:
Sat 10 Mar, 2018 3:54 pm
Politely disagree. Our FG side is still undecided. If Ivan bleeds Gamble into the 5/8 spot and brings back Nofo on the wing I can see us making the eight (easily). What you saw of Gamble today was not his full arsenal. He has an incredible short passing game and with him working with our FG pack I can see our team being feared by title contenders. I would also like to see Rochow running diagonal lines off him. Gamble is also excellent at supporting big forwards so I can also see him running of Matulino. He should be our FG 5/8.
Love the passion and confidence of Gamble. How dod you think he will combined with Brooks?

I think maybe a few more weeks in reserves and maybe a bench spot in FG. Has he ever player DH? We desperately need a FG DH.
We will smash em 50+ get on.

willow

Post by willow » Sat 10 Mar, 2018 7:03 pm

Experienced Magpies Down Bulldogs
Author Matt Buxton (Twitter: @MattBuxton22) NSWRL.com.au Timestamp Sat 10 Mar 2018, 03:43 PM

The Western Suburbs Magpies with David Nofoaluma and Chris McQueen in their side have proven too strong for the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs, defeating them 32-10 at ANZ Stadium.

Josh Drinkwater returned for the club after two seasons in the English Super League, and along with halves partner Tyson Gamble, put in an incredibly dominant performance.

Fa’amanu Brown opened proceedings for the Bulldogs after a strong run from Renouf To’omaga took three defenders to take him down, and the live wire recruit picked the ball up from dummy half and crashed through the markers to score.

Drinkwater only re-joined the club a few weeks ago, and he immediately made an impact when he turned a ball into a charging Luke Gardner who lost his footing on the way to the line, but never gave up and reached out to score.

Gamble wasted no time to get in on the action when the Magpies were on the attack just minutes later when he sharply stepped off his right foot and pierced through the Bulldogs defence to snatch a 12-6 lead.

With less than a minute on the clock until half-time, Josh Cleeland put a skilful grubber in at speed and Jarred Anderson showed plenty of speed to win the race from an unlikely position. It was a much needed four-pointer for the Bulldogs to reduce the deficit to two as the Magpies had won the battle of field position for a majority of the half.

It would be the Magpies to open proceedings in the second half thanks to a beautiful offload by Ratuvakacerivalu that created space up the middle, before Watson Heleta charged onto a ball and could not be stopped.

Some brilliant work by Gamble led to the next try when he sold a massive dummy to his right and put a pin-point kick in for David Nofoaluma to reach for the stars and expertly snatch the ball mid-air and plant the ball down, which gave the Magpies a 22-10 lead.

An alarming moment for the Bulldogs came at the one hour mark when Cleeland went down, and had to be assisted off the field as he was unable to put weight on his leg.

Nofoaluma sealed the game for the Magpies in a similar try to the one before as Gamble put in a cross-field kick for his winger once again, however this try was not as spectacular as he only had to pick the ball up and plant it down. Another NRL Wests Tigers regular, Sauaso Sue, would follow up minutes later, crashing over next to the posts to set Drinkwater up with an easy conversion attempt. Successfully adding the extras, the score was 32-10, which would remain until the game's conclusion.

Western Suburbs Magpies 32 (D Nofoaluma 2, S Sue, T Gamble, W Heleta, L Garner tries; J Drinkwater 4 goals) def Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs 10 (N Brown, J Anderson tries; R Martin goal)

Snake

Post by Snake » Sat 10 Mar, 2018 7:32 pm

Keep an eye on No 12 Luke Garner this guy runs wicked lines is a goer .....

coivtny
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by coivtny » Sat 10 Mar, 2018 9:55 pm

LeichhardtTiger wrote:
Sat 10 Mar, 2018 3:53 pm
Watson "Tedesco" was cool too.
Today I was impressed with Gamble, Garner, Heleta, Sue and Felise. Fonua was pretty good, he ran hard and earned a couple of penalties but spoiled it by dropping two kicks. I was unimpressed with Milne and McQueen. Nofo was good too. He's a good finisher but I still doubt has defensive ability.

Tacky

Post by Tacky » Sat 10 Mar, 2018 10:37 pm

Pres. MCK fan club

MCK fan club members: VP hobbo. Spud Murphy. WestsBenTigers. wt01. TigerKapa. TigersBusDriver. Clearyweareone. kh_canada. sheer64. Magpie Magic. tigermac88. LeichhardtTiger. beachtiger. TSupps05. underdog. rex2ce. teddy23. Tigerdon. willow. TrueTiger. tigerbenji. Balmainbred. hank37w. criwdfluffer. Ken Y.

The Patriot

Post by The Patriot » Sun 11 Mar, 2018 12:14 am

Classy heads up play by Gamble on that first Nofoaluma try.

That's talent
Its an opinion!

PrattenParkMagpie

Post by PrattenParkMagpie » Sun 11 Mar, 2018 1:23 am

Was nice to see Victa as the back of jumper sponsor, a bit of nostalgia seeing it on the back of a Magpies jumper again.
Bring back Dr Pepper and Hazelnut Rolls

Don’t you ever let a chance go by, O Claws, don’t you ever let a chance go by....

FreddyK
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by FreddyK » Sun 11 Mar, 2018 9:05 am

Does anyone have information/background on Garner. He looked impressive.

krayola

Post by krayola » Sun 11 Mar, 2018 11:41 am

Anyone got a link to replay or an idea where I could get one? I’d watch the replay on Fox at the leagues but the only I can see is at 2:30am tomorrow morning!
One of my sources is Pascoe

Pawsandclaws

Post by Pawsandclaws » Sun 11 Mar, 2018 12:07 pm

FreddyK wrote:
Sun 11 Mar, 2018 9:05 am
Garner came to WTs from the Roosters but played in the Manly U20s prior to the move. His is originally a Gold Coast product and if he keeps up the performances could progress like Eisenhuth.

FreddyK
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by FreddyK » Sun 11 Mar, 2018 1:17 pm

Paws - thanks. Another on the watch list.

FreddyK
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by FreddyK » Sun 11 Mar, 2018 1:22 pm

Pawsandclaws wrote:
Sun 11 Mar, 2018 12:07 pm
FreddyK wrote:
Garner came to WTs from the Roosters but played in the Manly U20s prior to the move. His is originally a Gold Coast product and if he keeps up the performances could progress like Eisenhuth.
Paws - I see that he is still a young fellow and Captain of the team. Hodgo must be impressed. I just read that he can play Centre or Second-row. It would be interesting to see how he handles centre - at 190 cm would give us some size out wide plus good defence.

Nucky Thompson

Post by Nucky Thompson » Sun 11 Mar, 2018 4:50 pm

FreddyK wrote:
Sun 11 Mar, 2018 1:22 pm
Pawsandclaws wrote:
Sun 11 Mar, 2018 12:07 pm
FreddyK wrote:
Paws - I see that he is still a young fellow and Captain of the team. Hodgo must be impressed. I just read that he can play Centre or Second-row. It would be interesting to see how he handles centre - at 190 cm would give us some size out wide plus good defence.
Id keep developing him in the second row. Would not have him in crentres.