ISP Team Announcement: Round 2

Wests Tigers State Cup Discussion
Masterton

Re: ISP Team Announcement: Round 2

Post by Masterton » Sat 17 Mar, 2018 3:15 pm

Fonua 183m and MotM but no one thought he played well?
"I was on the bus before you painted it yellow."

Balmain Boy

Post by Balmain Boy » Sat 17 Mar, 2018 3:16 pm

Gamble was strong, faded in the last 20. Defence was fine, no issues at all. Could give his backs some more ball. 2 try assists for gamble I think? A couple of busts.
Drinkwater did run well in the final 20. Made two breaks up the middle.

Our outside backs could definitely use some ball in space. Don't think any of them got passed the ball more than once or twice. Only time they touch it is to hit the ball up working off out line.

As I mentioned earlier Naiqama has no competition at left centre at the moment. Tali offers no threat to him. If he's going to get dropped someone has to be doing well at left centre in nsw cup.

Felise should be ahead of both Sue and Grant in terms of a nrl call up. He's looking fantastic this season and at a young age with so much potential you'd want to lock him in for the next few years. If he thinks he's our 7th choice prop he'll leave. He'd be in the top 17 for half nrl.

I fully expect people to be calling for Robson to play nrl next week after his double today.

Garner didn't do much but then he rarely got the ball going his way. McQueen solid in defense, nothing at all in attack though.

Fonua did what he does. Make some good hitups, pop a few offloads, drop a few bombs.

Tacky

Post by Tacky » Sat 17 Mar, 2018 3:26 pm

barra wrote:
Sat 17 Mar, 2018 3:07 pm
Tacky wrote:
Sat 17 Mar, 2018 12:11 pm
Sabre wrote:
Sat 17 Mar, 2018 11:50 am
DonnyBrasco wrote:
Sat 17 Mar, 2018 11:34 am
Does anyone know if this game will be broadcast anywhere?
Channel 9
Hyped to watch our ISP boys have a run. Too bad Gallen is commentating.
Totally missed the Channel 9 option this morning - only checked Fox to record it... is there any chance of a reply being available anywhere fellas??
It'll be up on the 9now website
WTF's self proclaimed #1 anarchist. President of the Michael Chee-Kam fan club

MCK fan club members: hobbo. Spud Murphy. WestsBenTigers. wt01. TigerKapa. TigersBusDriver. Clearyweareone. kh_canada. sheer64. Magpie Magic. tigermac88. LeichhardtTiger. beachtiger. TSupps05. underdog. rex2ce. teddy23. Tigerdon. willow. TrueTiger. tigerbenji.

willow

Post by willow » Sat 17 Mar, 2018 3:51 pm

Wests Continue Winning Ways
Author Nicholas Janzen (Twitter: @NicholasJanzen) Timestamp Sat 17 Mar 2018, 02:54 PM

A Josh Drinkwater-inspired Western Suburbs Magpies side has come from 16-0 down to record a thrilling 34-22 Round 2 Intrust Super Premiership NSW victory in sweltering conditions at a sun-baked Leichhardt Oval.

Brett Hodgson’s Magpies seemed down and out midway through the first half but creative playmaker Drinkwater and his side came from the clouds to snatch the game late and give them a two-from-two start to the 2018 season.

It was the Novocastrians, however, who started the game strongest, racing to a big lead early in the match. A mountain of possession in the opening 10 minutes eventually saw the Magpies’ defence crack, back-rower Brodie Jones backing over the tryline to cross for first points. Ken Sio’s conversion took Newcastle’s lead to six.

A shocker of a kick by Jack Cogger then, ultimately, saw the Knights stretch their lead. The wayward kick was collected by Harrison van Dartel, who found support in the shape of Christian Hazzard. The Knights’ five-eighth attracted a number of defenders before drawing the opponents and flicking beautifully for Brent Naden to cross.

Another Newcastle back-rower crashed over soon after the heat policy-enforced drinks break, Cogger finding a hard-charging Sam Stone just metres out. Sio’s second conversion of the afternoon took the “home” side’s lead to 16-0.

The Knights, however, would soon let the stranglehold slip. A dropped ball and back-to-back penalties saw Braden Robson shake-and-bake through the goal-line defence to crash over from just a couple of metres out.

Newcastle consolidated that error with another penalty straight after, and on the final play of their set the Magpies sent the ball high to the south-eastern corner of the ground. A try was eventually awarded to Mahe Fonua, the Knights’ lead cut to 16-10.

Wests’ comeback was complete just minutes into the second half, some great work by Drinkwater, initially a run before a deft kick into the in-goal area, saw Watson Heleta score. Drinkwater’s second conversion tied the sores at 16.

The Magpies hit the lead for the first time in the match after the Knights turned over possession. From the ensuing play, Wests shifted right through the backline, Taane Milne ending with the ball to step inside his opposite number to score. Drinkwater’s sideline conversion took the score to 22-16.

The Knights, however, weren’t going to roll over completely. A left-side shift found a jinking Cogger, who linked with Corey Dennis, who flung a beautiful pass to Sio to step his way into the tryline. The tryscorer’s conversion, with 20 minutes remaining, once again tied the match, setting the scene for a great finish.

It was Drinkwater who eventually proved the difference, slicing through the Knights line, breaking the deadlock by handing off to former NSW Origin prop Tim Grant to race 10 metres to cross the line.

With two-and-a-half minutes remaining Robson crashed over from dummy-half, his second of the game. Drinkwater’s conversion took the score to 34-22.

The Magpies next week face another tough task in the form of last year’s grand-finalists Wyong in Channel 9’s Saturday fixture from Campbelltown, while the Knights search for their first victory of the year against Wentworthville at Ringrose Park on Sunday.

yeti

Post by yeti » Sat 17 Mar, 2018 4:03 pm

Yep, it's been pretty well summed up I think. Drinkwater all class at this level. Not NRL level though. Gamble needs work on his defense - Cogger beat him all ends up in the second half down our right side. Felise was very good as the Newcastle forwards tired - he has great foot work at the line.
Not much from our captain unfortunately.
But it was oppressively hot out there. Some of the bigger boys really struggled. Give them a few more weeks to really show what level they are playing at.

The Patriot

Post by The Patriot » Sat 17 Mar, 2018 4:23 pm

It's funny how a missed tackle in reserves makes everyone think that Gamble has a defensive issue.

I'm with Balmain Boy Gus defence is OK, no issue at all.

He has things to work on yes, but there is no problem here.

momo&medo

Post by momo&medo » Sat 17 Mar, 2018 4:45 pm

The Patriot wrote:
Sat 17 Mar, 2018 4:23 pm
It's funny how a missed tackle in reserves makes everyone think that Gamble has a defensive issue.

Missed tackle(s) ... you wouldn’t think it’s funny if the arm grabs got found out in first grade.
I like what he does .... but .... for mine he still needs some time at this level to develop his defensive game.
Why rush it and burn the kid too early?

momo&medo

Post by momo&medo » Sat 17 Mar, 2018 4:46 pm

Masterton wrote:
Sat 17 Mar, 2018 3:15 pm
Well he kinda didn’t.

Tweed Tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by Tweed Tiger » Sat 17 Mar, 2018 4:53 pm

FreddyK
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by FreddyK » Sat 17 Mar, 2018 5:36 pm

The Patriot wrote:

Patriot - here is a list of some identified problems in Tyson's game
1. Defensive problems
2. He grabs in defence
3. Cannot pass the ball to his right
4. Does not have a long kicking game
5. Problem with his fitness
6. He is only a kid and needs time to develop
7. "I've seen it all before" he is like Grant
8. He needs to spend time in the Reggies to prove himself

Of note there is one team that could do with a talented 5/8 - Manly. But given Tyson's loyalty he will stay with Ivan - at least for a while so that he can learn from Hodgo and company

The Patriot

Post by The Patriot » Sat 17 Mar, 2018 6:21 pm

FreddyK wrote:
Sat 17 Mar, 2018 5:36 pm
The Patriot wrote:

Patriot - here is a list of some identified problems in Tyson's game
1. Defensive problems
2. He grabs in defence
3. Cannot pass the ball to his right
4. Does not have a long kicking game
5. Problem with his fitness
6. He is only a kid and needs time to develop
7. "I've seen it all before" he is like Grant
8. He needs to spend time in the Reggies to prove himself

Of note there is one team that could do with a talented 5/8 - Manly. But given Tyson's loyalty he will stay with Ivan - at least for a while so that he can learn from Hodgo and company

Yep thats kind of the point. If we look for problems problems are all we see.

I think like yourself i look for the positives first.

The Patriot

Post by The Patriot » Sat 17 Mar, 2018 6:22 pm

momo&medo wrote:
Sat 17 Mar, 2018 4:45 pm
The Patriot wrote:

Missed tackle(s) ... you wouldn’t think it’s funny if the arm grabs got found out in first grade.
I like what he does .... but .... for mine he still needs some time at this level to develop his defensive game.
Why rush it and burn the kid too early?

Im not sure there is anyone saying he should come in yet.

Im on record saying mid season.

Itll be Ivans call and im pretty sure it wont be based on 100% tackle completion. Hate to break it to you but good players miss tackles.

Pawsandclaws

Post by Pawsandclaws » Sat 17 Mar, 2018 6:32 pm

Cleary is renowned for promoting juniors. I'm sure he will know when the time is right to bring Gamble through.

The Patriot

Post by The Patriot » Sat 17 Mar, 2018 6:42 pm

Pawsandclaws wrote:
Sat 17 Mar, 2018 6:32 pm
Cleary is renowned for promoting juniors. I'm sure he will know when the time is right to bring Gamble through.

Exactly and it mightnt be how we expect it.

Im noticing Gamble is stuck on a right edge, not roaming much. Seems to be coached to do this.

It could be on Ivans instructions as he wants to groom him to replace one of the back row.

Only the coach knows at this stage.

FreddyK
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by FreddyK » Sat 17 Mar, 2018 6:56 pm

The Patriot wrote:
Sat 17 Mar, 2018 6:42 pm
Pawsandclaws wrote:

Im noticing Gamble is stuck on a right edge, not roaming much. Seems to be coached to do this.

It could be on Ivans instructions as he wants to groom him to replace one of the back row.

Under Adam Mogg at Redcliffe he played on the left. If he was given the instructions to roam I guess he would. No not a backrower. Far too many skills as a 5/8.

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by jadtiger » Sat 17 Mar, 2018 7:09 pm

FreddyK wrote:
Sat 17 Mar, 2018 6:56 pm
The Patriot wrote:
Pawsandclaws wrote:

Under Adam Mogg at Redcliffe he played on the left. If he was given the instructions to roam I guess he would. No not a backrower. Far too many skills as a 5/8.
Beetson started as a centre and moved to the backrow initially.His skill set was as good as any half and better than any other forwards.I wouldnt be so dismissive of what a ball playing back rower can bring too a team.

Masterton

Post by Masterton » Sat 17 Mar, 2018 7:26 pm

momo&medo wrote:
Sat 17 Mar, 2018 4:46 pm
Masterton wrote:
Sat 17 Mar, 2018 3:15 pm
Well he kinda didn’t.
Yeah, I don't doubt it. Those judges don't look at the complete picture.

My point was: Obviously he has some high impact, but he must have some massive flaws if no one rated him. Doesn't sound like the type of player Ivan would be keen to pick.
"I was on the bus before you painted it yellow."

FreddyK
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by FreddyK » Sat 17 Mar, 2018 7:39 pm

jadtiger wrote:
Sat 17 Mar, 2018 7:09 pm
FreddyK wrote:
Sat 17 Mar, 2018 6:56 pm
The Patriot wrote:
Pawsandclaws wrote:

Beetson started as a centre and moved to the backrow initially.His skill set was as good as any half and better than any other forwards.I wouldnt be so dismissive of what a ball playing back rower can bring too a team.
Gamble has a really good short game. I would love to see Rochow (or Aloiai) and Matulino run diagonally off his shoulder. Along with his short kicking game I reckon that he would create havoc.