Drinkwater noticing impact of NRL depth at Wests Tigers

Wests Tigers State Cup Discussion
willow

Post by willow » Wed 04 Apr, 2018 7:07 pm

Matt Buxton (Twitter: @MattBuxton22) NSWRL.com.au Timestamp Tue 3 Apr 2018, 04:25 PM

Leigh Centurions were relegated from the European Super League after losing the Million Pound Game against the Catalans Dragons last season, prompting halfback Josh Drinkwater to move back to Australia.

He signed with the club he departed mid-way through 2016, the Wests Tigers, but only on a part-time contract with the Western Suburbs Magpies’ Intrust Super Premiership NSW team. Coach Brett Hodgson played a major role in securing Drinkwater’s services in 2018 from their time in England.

“We got relegated, it’s pretty tough one year into a three-year deal and that’s part of the footy over there,” Drinkwater tells NSWRL.com.au.

“I came home and knew ‘Hodgo’ from my time in England; he coached against me over there so was pretty keen to link up with him, he’s been great for me.

“He’s terrific, I can’t speak highly enough of him for us part-time boys as we do long days, but when we come to training he just makes it a very good environment; I want to rip in and work hard and have a bit fun.

“[England] was a good experience, it didn’t really work out the way we wanted over there with relegation, but it was good to be a part of it.”

For the third week in a row, Drinkwater has been selected at halfback in the Intrust Super Premiership NSW team of the week.

His form has been outstanding for the Magpies, who have won three out of four games with their only defeat being a one-point loss to Wyong where they relinquished a 16-point lead, a game in which Drinkwater still created three tries.

Drinkwater hopes to play well enough to secure a full-time contract.

“I’m happy to be back here, even though it’s part-time,” Drinkwater says.

“I want to get back into a full-time environment ASAP, but at the moment I’m just enjoying it.

“I’ve just got to play good footy each week, it’s a lot different being a part-time player going to work during the day.

“You’ve just got to knuckle down and have the right attitude and hopefully something pops up.”

The Wests Tigers' season has thus far travelled a similar path to the Magpies, with their only defeat coming from a controversial golden-point defeat at the hands of the Brisbane Broncos.

It is no doubt a happy club at the moment, and Drinkwater says the success in the NRL filters down to the Intrust Super Premiership NSW side.

“[The Wests Tigers] have got a pretty steep squad, so they’ve got a lot of depth which means that the players that come back to us they’re all NRL players, and that helps,” Drinkwater says.

“We’re getting full-time boys back and they’re coming back with the right attitude and us part-time boys we’re working hard during the week.

“I think everyone’s working hard and everyone’s sort of buying into what we’re doing.

“We were pretty disappointed after last week giving away a lead and to come out and put 48 points on them, it was a good effort.”

Drinkwater’s point of NRL players having the right attitude in the Intrust Super Premiership NSW is proven by the actions of Sauaso Sue.

Sue didn’t play in the Wests Tigers victory yesterday, instead, he was a part of the Magpies victory, but there is footage of him passionately belting out the team song with the first-grade squad as if he had played.

There is certainly positivity flying around Concord at the moment, with Drinkwater playing a major part in the Western Suburbs Magpies’ early success.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Wed 04 Apr, 2018 7:12 pm

He'd have the easiest job for a halfback in that grade than any other halfback in recent memory with the pack that he plays behind. No wonder he looks so good.

fergiefurr

Post by fergiefurr » Wed 04 Apr, 2018 7:14 pm

i know everyone is wet over gamble, but drinkwater has been the standout half so far in isp

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Wed 04 Apr, 2018 7:21 pm

He does look solid this time around
Ivan "Billy Beane from Moneyball" Cleary!
It's the Ivan of the tiger, It's the thrill of the fight...

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Wed 04 Apr, 2018 7:23 pm

fergiefurr wrote:
Wed 04 Apr, 2018 7:14 pm
i know everyone is wet over gamble, but drinkwater has been the standout half so far in isp
Agreed...I feel a bit for him...he has always been above ISP level but not quite that good for regular FG...

His kicking passing and general play has been great in every game this year and a better goal kicker than our 1st graders...
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Wed 04 Apr, 2018 7:32 pm

Yeh he suffers from Joel Caine syndrome...

He needs a grade between Reggie's and firsts... Seriously tho good back up

Demps

Post by Demps » Wed 04 Apr, 2018 7:37 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Wed 04 Apr, 2018 7:32 pm

Haha.
Joel Caine, what a wimp.
#Unbeatable

"I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid" - John Gotti

Wests Tigers Forum's most brilliant mind.

Bob

Post by Bob » Thu 05 Apr, 2018 12:45 am

innsaneink wrote:
Wed 04 Apr, 2018 7:32 pm

Or 4 more teams in an NRL expansion.

LeichhardtTiger

Post by LeichhardtTiger » Thu 05 Apr, 2018 1:42 am

fergiefurr wrote:
Wed 04 Apr, 2018 7:14 pm
YEP No doubt - and he kicks goals!
There are two kinds of people in the world - those that live in Balmain and those that wished they did.

The Patriot

Post by The Patriot » Thu 05 Apr, 2018 6:36 am

Drinkwater has been fantastic. Very solid and leading the team around the park. Gamble has been asked to play the secondary role.

I wouldnt start thinking that means anything when it comes to who is a better player.

Gamble has shown a level of class that are quite a few pay grades above Drinkwater.
Its an opinion!

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Thu 05 Apr, 2018 7:04 am

:lol: Of course...
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

Tiger Steve

Post by Tiger Steve » Thu 05 Apr, 2018 7:39 am

The Patriot wrote:
Thu 05 Apr, 2018 6:36 am
Drinkwater has been fantastic. Very solid and leading the team around the park. Gamble has been asked to play the secondary role.

I wouldnt start thinking that means anything when it comes to who is a better player.

Gamble has shown a level of class that are quite a few pay grades above Drinkwater.
Have been waiting for your post ..... I knew it was coming
“Peanuts! Get ya peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated!” Leichhardt memories.

The Patriot

Post by The Patriot » Thu 05 Apr, 2018 7:42 am

Yes im consistent and predictable.

Like Drinkwater lol
Its an opinion!

Tiger Steve

Post by Tiger Steve » Thu 05 Apr, 2018 7:47 am

The Patriot wrote:
Thu 05 Apr, 2018 7:42 am

Like Drinkwater lol
Good on you Patriot. I like your honesty.

To be honest with you, I like Gamble as well but think he’s facing an uphill battle with Brooks, Benji and Reynolds ahead of him.

From what I’ve seen Gamble is ahead of Drinkwater but Drinkwater was good last week
“Peanuts! Get ya peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated!” Leichhardt memories.

TrueTiger

Post by TrueTiger » Thu 05 Apr, 2018 8:01 am

I like Quadja.....
You may see me struggle...but you will never see me quit... :D

The Patriot

Post by The Patriot » Thu 05 Apr, 2018 8:06 am

Tiger Steve wrote:
Thu 05 Apr, 2018 7:47 am
The Patriot wrote:
Thu 05 Apr, 2018 7:42 am

Like Drinkwater lol
Good on you Patriot. I like your honesty.

To be honest with you, I like Gamble as well but think he’s facing an uphill battle with Brooks, Benji and Reynolds ahead of him.

From what I’ve seen Gamble is ahead of Drinkwater but Drinkwater was good last week
I like Drinkwater. He is perfect for the role and important to bring all the young guys together in that team.

Yeah Gamble really hasnt made it easy for himself coming here. I think he will get there and constantly being named 18 in firsts says a lot about what Cleary thinks of him.
Its an opinion!

quintus
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by quintus » Thu 05 Apr, 2018 8:19 am

I like Drinkie.... :sign:

Russell

Post by Russell » Thu 05 Apr, 2018 8:20 am

Quadja is not in the 30 at the moment - so can't play NRL.

According to folks on here - or have I misunderstood?