ISP Team Announcement: Round 9

Wests Tigers State Cup Discussion
GNR4LIFE

Re: ISP Team Announcement: Round 9

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sun 06 May, 2018 2:18 pm

Marshall is there till grub is fit. This game proved that.

Newtown

Post by Newtown » Sun 06 May, 2018 2:36 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Sun 06 May, 2018 2:18 pm
Marshall is there till grub is fit. This game proved that.
One consolation is Marshall will be in the "Weight for Age Stakes" playing against Thurston.

tigerap

Post by tigerap » Sun 06 May, 2018 2:55 pm

851 wrote:
Sun 06 May, 2018 1:22 pm
This is pathetic, these guys have given up
mirroring the FG side.....you'd think they'd be putting in to get a call up....hopeless.

krayola

Post by krayola » Sun 06 May, 2018 3:12 pm

This was always going to be a rebuilding year. Our performances this year have been far better than they were a year ago, with, imo, a less talented squad of players and a much larger injury toll. We have about 800k - 1mill in the cap and a coach who has recruited quite well in the past. All signs point in the right direction even if our current location is pretty dull.
One of my sources is Pascoe

The Patriot

Post by The Patriot » Sun 06 May, 2018 3:17 pm

tigerap wrote:
Sun 06 May, 2018 2:55 pm
851 wrote:
Sun 06 May, 2018 1:22 pm
This is pathetic, these guys have given up
mirroring the FG side.....you'd think they'd be putting in to get a call up....hopeless.
Definitely an issue.

We needed these boys playing well and knocking down the door.
Its an opinion!

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Mon 07 May, 2018 12:26 am

So I looked through the forums team to play NQ on Thursday Night and 20 odd people straight had Gamble in their team next week to replace Benji Marshall at number 6. Not to mention people mentioning him right through the pre season and early season. So I thought I better watch this game and see what all this hype has been about. I have seen him in patches and not been overly impressed.

Then today...

Like Ink said *crickets*

LARDS

Post by LARDS » Mon 07 May, 2018 6:20 am

Just watched the replay of the game.
Luke garner is the only player who held his own in that game. Solid defence and runs hard.
Scored a try and saved a certain try by sheer will. Unfortunately not in the 30 but I hope that changes because he deserves to be in first grade.
As for gamble, I hope we don't need him in firsts yet. Needs to work on his defence.

Demps

Post by Demps » Mon 07 May, 2018 8:38 am

FreddyK wrote:
Sun 06 May, 2018 1:18 pm
innsaneink wrote:
Sun 06 May, 2018 1:11 pm
Lol.. Gamble... Cant tackle
Innsaneink .... we do get your message .... can't tackle. can't kick, can't kick goals, and can't pass. He should give up now.

Sorry it will be Ivan's decision, not yours.
Sassy 💁‍♂️
#Unbeatable

"I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid" - John Gotti

Wests Tigers Forum's most brilliant mind.

Clearyweareone

Post by Clearyweareone » Mon 07 May, 2018 8:56 am

Reading the insightful comments from Forum members it appears Garner should be considered for one of the vacant NRL spots then considered sometime this year for a spot in the NRL team.

Is he a realistic chance of a contact??????

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Mon 07 May, 2018 9:08 am

I'd say we're highly likely to fill our vacant top squad spots from within and he's highly likely to be the one... He's put his hand up every time I've watched them

The Patriot

Post by The Patriot » Mon 07 May, 2018 9:21 am

Eddie wrote:
Mon 07 May, 2018 12:26 am
So I looked through the forums team to play NQ on Thursday Night and 20 odd people straight had Gamble in their team next week to replace Benji Marshall at number 6. Not to mention people mentioning him right through the pre season and early season. So I thought I better watch this game and see what all this hype has been about. I have seen him in patches and not been overly impressed.

Then today...

Like Ink said *crickets*
Fair points Eddie

I would however separate the 20 people wanting him in the team this week from the handful of people who talked him up at the start.

Of those 20 people at least 18 of them would just be sick to death of the rubbish Benji Marshall is coughing up lately.

As one of the handful who talked up Gamble, my opinion hasnt changed. His form and confidence may have changed but he will play first grade and he does have attributes to be a very good 5/8.

The conversation people should be having is why have the wheels fallen off this team, we need them playing well and putting pressure on the rest of the squad.
Its an opinion!

Balmain Boy

Post by Balmain Boy » Mon 07 May, 2018 9:52 am

That was an appalling performance, but a very predictable one. That squad that ran out is a wooden spoon level lineup. Compared to the team we had in the first few weeks this team has been raped and pillaged so much it's barely recognisable.

Heleta - 3 penalties for incorrect play teh balls. Unforgivable. (although to be fair half the play the balls in the game still don't come close to the feet, he was the only one pinged)

This side really mirrors the first grade side, only ever worse in the forwards. We lack punch in the forwards and have no pace, skill or power across the board.

The fact our nrl squad is injury ravaged doesn't help, then cutting 2 centres from this quad and losing your star halfback, that's an incredible amount of turmoil to overcome for a bunch of part timers.

Having a few forwards and a back dropping down to this team will help next week, but our team really is desperate for 2 new signings. Pacy outside backs for the nrl squad. ISP will then get eh trickle down effect.

Our development players have been disappointing thus far but also thrown in the deep end in awful teams. Having McIntyre in the centres is just plain awful for his development. Mikaele wasn't mature enough to start this game. He tried to hard at times and made crucial mistakes. Gibbs appears invisible although Smith is apparently busting his ass in an awful team.

Look at the Dragons development player int eh centres, big strong, fast, super skillful. The cutout balls he threw to his wingers were sensational. The tackle on Price was great. This is what you want to have in reserve grade but unfortunately our recruitment across all grades hasn't been good enough. Not a single player in ISP or Flegg with X factor or the ability to break the line.

Gamble wasn't great. He isn't a halfback though. He's also got absolutely nothing to work with. Drinkwater looked good, but it's also much easier to look good when Sue, grant and Felise are bashing the way forward and you've got Nof, Fonua, Tui etc in the backline. His one on one defence wasn't good today though, slipped off too many tackles. The whole team looked gassed though.

The Patriot

Post by The Patriot » Mon 07 May, 2018 11:54 am

Balmain Boy wrote:
Mon 07 May, 2018 9:52 am
That was an appalling performance, but a very predictable one. That squad that ran out is a wooden spoon level lineup. Compared to the team we had in the first few weeks this team has been raped and pillaged so much it's barely recognisable.

Heleta - 3 penalties for incorrect play teh balls. Unforgivable. (although to be fair half the play the balls in the game still don't come close to the feet, he was the only one pinged)

This side really mirrors the first grade side, only ever worse in the forwards. We lack punch in the forwards and have no pace, skill or power across the board.

The fact our nrl squad is injury ravaged doesn't help, then cutting 2 centres from this quad and losing your star halfback, that's an incredible amount of turmoil to overcome for a bunch of part timers.

Having a few forwards and a back dropping down to this team will help next week, but our team really is desperate for 2 new signings. Pacy outside backs for the nrl squad. ISP will then get eh trickle down effect.

Our development players have been disappointing thus far but also thrown in the deep end in awful teams. Having McIntyre in the centres is just plain awful for his development. Mikaele wasn't mature enough to start this game. He tried to hard at times and made crucial mistakes. Gibbs appears invisible although Smith is apparently busting his ass in an awful team.

Look at the Dragons development player int eh centres, big strong, fast, super skillful. The cutout balls he threw to his wingers were sensational. The tackle on Price was great. This is what you want to have in reserve grade but unfortunately our recruitment across all grades hasn't been good enough. Not a single player in ISP or Flegg with X factor or the ability to break the line.

Gamble wasn't great. He isn't a halfback though. He's also got absolutely nothing to work with. Drinkwater looked good, but it's also much easier to look good when Sue, grant and Felise are bashing the way forward and you've got Nof, Fonua, Tui etc in the backline. His one on one defence wasn't good today though, slipped off too many tackles. The whole team looked gassed though.
Thanks for the run down. I've missed the last few games with other commitments but had been waiting for an unbiased report.
Its an opinion!

Sunnycoast tiger

Post by Sunnycoast tiger » Mon 07 May, 2018 12:34 pm

Balmain Boy wrote:
Mon 07 May, 2018 9:52 am

Maybe our recruitment people should start looking at clubs like dragons,panthers and even broncos
for players that there path way is blocked, cause by better depth of players. I believe we all can name two or three players that are stuck behind players at the current clubs.

magpiesteve

Post by magpiesteve » Mon 07 May, 2018 1:02 pm

Wow what was Watson Heleta thinking. I have a lot of time for this player but his repeated play the ball infringements were hard to fathom. The referees made it clear from the preseason that the Play the Ball was an area they intended to clean up. Watson gave away three roll ball penalties which easiliy could have been more . Play the ball is a fundamental of the game & getting it right should be a given.

bp tiger

Post by bp tiger » Tue 08 May, 2018 1:33 pm

i will say it again and again if the club wants to take the high road and sack players and then release others, then they must replace these players some how, we have thrown away a great start to the season.

Balmain Boy

Post by Balmain Boy » Tue 08 May, 2018 1:43 pm

bp tiger wrote:
Tue 08 May, 2018 1:33 pm
i will say it again and again if the club wants to take the high road and sack players and then release others, then they must replace these players some how, we have thrown away a great start to the season.
Absolutely. Sacking players and then calling up part timers and playing them out of position, 5 weeks into the season, is not how successful clubs are run.

We need to urgently replace Drinkwater too. Sure the replacement won't be as good but an experienced lower grade halfback is a must.

FOD001

Post by FOD001 » Tue 08 May, 2018 3:44 pm

Balmain Boy wrote:
Tue 08 May, 2018 1:43 pm
bp tiger wrote:
Tue 08 May, 2018 1:33 pm
Absolutely. Sacking players and then calling up part timers and playing them out of position, 5 weeks into the season, is not how successful clubs are run.

We need to urgently replace Drinkwater too. Sure the replacement won't be as good but an experienced lower grade halfback is a must.
Well we’ll see how Godinet goes this week at 7