Wests Tigers State Cup Discussion
Telltails

Re: ISP Team Announcement: Round 9

Post by Telltails » Tue 08 May, 2018 3:52 pm

Balmain Boy wrote:
Tue 08 May, 2018 1:43 pm
bp tiger wrote:
Tue 08 May, 2018 1:33 pm
i will say it again and again if the club wants to take the high road and sack players and then release others, then they must replace these players some how, we have thrown away a great start to the season.
Absolutely. Sacking players and then calling up part timers and playing them out of position, 5 weeks into the season, is not how successful clubs are run.

We need to urgently replace Drinkwater too. Sure the replacement won't be as good but an experienced lower grade halfback is a must.
Yes - it drives me crazy. What depth???

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Tue 08 May, 2018 6:02 pm

junior05 wrote:
Mon 07 May, 2018 12:34 pm
Balmain Boy wrote:
Mon 07 May, 2018 9:52 am

Our development players have been disappointing thus far but also thrown in the deep end in awful teams. Having McIntyre in the centres is just plain awful for his development. Mikaele wasn't mature enough to start this game. He tried to hard at times and made crucial mistakes. Gibbs appears invisible although Smith is apparently busting his ass in an awful team.

Look at the Dragons development player int eh centres, big strong, fast, super skillful. The cutout balls he threw to his wingers were sensational. The tackle on Price was great. This is what you want to have in reserve grade but unfortunately our recruitment across all grades hasn't been good enough. Not a single player in ISP or Flegg with X factor or the ability to break the line.

Gamble wasn't great. He isn't a halfback though. He's also got absolutely nothing to work with. Drinkwater looked good, but it's also much easier to look good when Sue, grant and Felise are bashing the way forward and you've got Nof, Fonua, Tui etc in the backline. His one on one defence wasn't good today though, slipped off too many tackles. The whole team looked gassed though.
Maybe our recruitment people should start looking at clubs like dragons,panthers and even broncos
for players that there path way is blocked, cause by better depth of players. I believe we all can name two or three players that are stuck behind players at the current clubs.
I'm not completely clear what's so wrong with the development players? Are they not all sort of gambles, players you would not transition straight to regular ISP or FG side and therefore certainly on fringe?

And also, if the ISP team is depleted, then yes they play some tough games in poor teams? Magpies started the year with a great ISP side and the development kids had next to nothing to do, play Flegg or something, and now they get a look in because the team's been half gutted by the FG side.

Fine and dandy for the Saints ISP team to be doing well, to have some strike young development centre running about in ISP, but they have next to no injuries or suspensions. How will the ISP team look during Origin, or if the Dragons strike some key injuries? How will their development guys go then?

And being the first year of the dedicated development pathway and salary cap, we really can't tell what's to be a normal strike rate for development players to enter FG?

Balmain Boy

Post by Balmain Boy » Wed 09 May, 2018 10:24 am

Telltails wrote:
Tue 08 May, 2018 3:52 pm
Balmain Boy wrote:
Tue 08 May, 2018 1:43 pm
bp tiger wrote:
Tue 08 May, 2018 1:33 pm
i will say it again and again if the club wants to take the high road and sack players and then release others, then they must replace these players some how, we have thrown away a great start to the season.
Absolutely. Sacking players and then calling up part timers and playing them out of position, 5 weeks into the season, is not how successful clubs are run.

We need to urgently replace Drinkwater too. Sure the replacement won't be as good but an experienced lower grade halfback is a must.
Yes - it drives me crazy. What depth???
It certainly doesn't help that our only other pool of players, Flegg, are by far the worst team in the competition. Most teams promote their best youth in such circumstances, ours aren't really worthy of spots just yet.

Godinet helps a bit but he's not an organising half, more of a playmaking utility. Someone like him but a 7 would be great.

Surely a couple of backs centres coming for the NRL squad any day now though!