Post by FreddyK » Sat 12 May, 2018 3:18 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Sat 12 May, 2018 3:13 pm
FreddyK wrote:
Sat 12 May, 2018 2:48 pm
innsaneink wrote:
Sat 12 May, 2018 2:05 pm
Ref's a flog... Let them play
How did Gamble play? Is he headed back to Queensland?
He was OK... Bit better than last I saw him... Dunno where he's headed?

I like his build, big solid fella...could be dangerous when he get his defence right
Thanks

willow

Post by willow » Sat 12 May, 2018 3:26 pm

Sounds like Aloiai was strong. Tui is going to need match fitness, his knee issues certainly aren't helping him but give him some time, he'll come good hopefully.

willow

Post by willow » Sat 12 May, 2018 3:37 pm

Magpies deny Warriors with defensive resolve
Matt Buxton (Twitter: @MattBuxton22) NSWRL.com.au Timestamp Sat 12 May 2018, 02:38 PM

A defensive clinic by the Western Suburbs Magpies has seen them defeat the Warriors 11-0 in their own backyard. The home side crossed five times, but were denied four points on all five occasions, showing the attitude that the Magpies turned up with was nothing but positive.

It was a tough game in tougher conditions, with only one try coming from the in each half. Tui Lolohea is known for his attack, but it would be his scramble defence that shone in his home away from home.

The Warriors went almighty close on two occasions, with the first coming early in the game as Manaia Cherrington did his best to burrow over from dummy half, but the ball was dislodged in the act of storing. The second game just before the break, with a sharp right-to-left shift was almost finished by Lewis Soosemea, but there was a slight bobble whilst attempting to ground the ball.

Josh Aloiai was the only try-scorer for the half, getting the Magpies off to a great start with brute strength and will. He charged at the Warriors defence at full pelt, before driving his way towards the line post-contact and planting the ball down adjacent to the posts.

A Tyson Gamble field goal on the stroke of half-time nudged the Magpies out to a 7-0 lead, which was smart given the conditions.

The Warriors went ridiculously close to opening the second half scoring, but were denied by some outstanding scramble defence. James Bell was centimetres from planting the ball down under the posts, but Tui Lolohea and Joseph Ratuvakacereivalu managed to stop the ball from touching the chalk.

Lolohea then saved another try when some class from Beale put Soosemea into space, and he looked destined to score as he raced towards the corner, but the Magpies’ fullback had his target in his sights, and took him into touch. The Magpies defence saved yet another try shortly after, holding up Blake Ayshford as he crossed.

Braden Robson showed his brilliance to extend the Magpies’ lead to 11, breaking through a tackle and attracting the opposition winger before spinning and offloading to Watson Heleta, who strolled over in the corner.

Lolohea was denied a try on the stroke of full-time, and there would be no further points as the Magpies ran out 11-0 winners.

Tweed Tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by Tweed Tiger » Sat 12 May, 2018 4:06 pm

willow wrote:
Sat 12 May, 2018 3:26 pm
Sounds like Aloiai was strong. Tui is going to need match fitness, his knee issues certainly aren't helping him but give him some time, he'll come good hopefully.
Yeh Tui defiantly ran out of steam in the 2nd half, he was cramping up in the final 5 minutes.

Snake

Post by Snake » Sat 12 May, 2018 4:16 pm

FreddyK wrote:
Sat 12 May, 2018 2:48 pm
innsaneink wrote:
Sat 12 May, 2018 2:05 pm
Ref's a flog... Let them play
How did Gamble play? Is he headed back to Queensland?
Put it this way he is not a stand out but has talent whether he makes the grade who knows , it also is about The caliber of player around him he did look better when Drinky was at half ...

Demps

Post by Demps » Sat 12 May, 2018 4:48 pm

Tui - ink is correct... He's very lazy and goes missing. Poor work ethic.

Garner - looks like a first grader. Solid as. Arms look skinny though?

Gamble - can't defend. Flat out won't make grade till he learns to tackle and if he does expect Maloney like numbers with miss tackles.
#Unbeatable

"I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid" - John Gotti

Wests Tigers Forum's most brilliant mind.

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Sat 12 May, 2018 4:58 pm

Sounds like a solid win based on defence..

Taped it will have a looky later..
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

Russell

Post by Russell » Sat 12 May, 2018 4:59 pm

Demps wrote:
Sat 12 May, 2018 4:48 pm
Tui - ink is correct... He's very lazy and goes missing. Poor work ethic.

Garner - looks like a first grader. Solid as. Arms look skinny though?

Gamble - can't defend. Flat out won't make grade till he learns to tackle and if he does expect Maloney like numbers with miss tackles.
He didn't go missing in the last part of last year - nor the World Cup. Give him a chance to get fit I'd say Demps.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sat 12 May, 2018 5:09 pm

He was missing today when his team needed him...nowhere to be seen

Post by 851 » Sat 12 May, 2018 5:18 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Sat 12 May, 2018 5:09 pm
He was missing today when his team needed him...nowhere to be seen
You can't make an honest assessment about Tui, it is taken as sticking the boot in, don't rate him by some, I agree 100%, he is unfit and was out of position numerous times today.
Go hard or go home

Nucky Thompson

Post by Nucky Thompson » Sat 12 May, 2018 6:31 pm

Disagree with comments on tui today. It was one of those days where attack was not working and they had to play tough to win which they did.

He was very positive and a good start back made a couple of try savers and was running the ball more. He was good.

Tweed Tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by Tweed Tiger » Sat 12 May, 2018 7:35 pm

Nucky Thompson wrote:
Sat 12 May, 2018 6:31 pm
Disagree with comments on tui today. It was one of those days where attack was not working and they had to play tough to win which they did.

He was very positive and a good start back made a couple of try savers and was running the ball more. He was good.
Thought it was a solid first game back.

Should improve every week if his Knee is good now

Ivan cleary

Post by Ivan cleary » Sat 12 May, 2018 7:55 pm

Heard he saved a couple of tries and it didn’t look like an attacking game according to the scoreline so..

Demps

Post by Demps » Sat 12 May, 2018 10:27 pm

Tui needs to improve dramatically before he finds himself in the same position he was in when he was in NZ.
#Unbeatable

"I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid" - John Gotti

Wests Tigers Forum's most brilliant mind.

TCL
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by TCL » Sat 12 May, 2018 10:33 pm

WT2K wrote:
Fri 11 May, 2018 3:07 pm
The Patriot wrote:
Tue 08 May, 2018 5:50 pm
Tiger Steve wrote:
Tue 08 May, 2018 4:09 pm
I see no game again before 1st grade (arggghhh). Does anyone know when ISP is playing?
EDIT: Found it - Mt Smart on Saturday arvo

Its an absolute disgrace they dont play these games before the NRL

Greenberg and his mates are clueless.
I may be old fashioned but I loved watching all three grades on the same day. Bring it back you muppets at nrl hq
Reserve grade at least.

larrycorowa

Post by larrycorowa » Sun 13 May, 2018 9:39 am

Heleta to me is a first grader. Possibly another masters. Gamble still learning his trade but he has all the weapons....if we can keep him for a few years he can replace benji and be a backup/replacement for Reynolds. Josh, Macqueen, Jj, Robson, garner (maybe next year) are all fringe first graders ready to go.....what a change from last year.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sun 13 May, 2018 9:50 am

Good to see the Pies back in the winners circle. As much as i give it to Godinet, i think he'll be pretty handy for the Maggies in this grade. No Drinkwater, but better than the kid who replaced him originally.

criwdfluffer

Post by criwdfluffer » Sun 13 May, 2018 10:50 am

The goal libe defense was AMAZING.

We must have held them over the line hald a dozen times when they looked certain to score.

Very impressive.

hard to guage too much in a D game like that but Aloia looked hard running as did Garner.

Didn't notice McQueen or Tui tbh.

Godinet was off at half too.