Wests Tigers State Cup Discussion
gallagher

Re: ISP Team Announcement: Round 16

Post by gallagher » Sun 01 Jul, 2018 11:56 am

oldprop wrote:
Sun 01 Jul, 2018 11:47 am
gallagher wrote:
Sun 01 Jul, 2018 11:45 am
Who's the Sironen on the bench for saints? Another brother?
Cousin apparently
Cheers

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » Sun 01 Jul, 2018 1:23 pm

So Dragons won 22-18 if anyone needed to know. Only saw a few minutes but that didn't fill me with confidence. Looked very reserve grade. B Sironen is a good tackler.

FOD001

Post by FOD001 » Sun 01 Jul, 2018 1:28 pm

Great debut by Dylan Smith. Didn’t look out of place at all and a good try assist. It will be interesting to see if they give him anymore game time this year

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sun 01 Jul, 2018 1:31 pm

Did Gamble tell anyone he was going to kick?
Didnt look like it...
Communication helps

Tweed Tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by Tweed Tiger » Sun 01 Jul, 2018 1:34 pm

Our ball handling coming out of our own end really cost us multiple times.

English ref was poor.

Goal kicking was very poor.

Clark and smith looked good on debut.

We bombed some good chances really should of won the game.

willow

Post by willow » Sun 01 Jul, 2018 1:35 pm

Magpies winning run snapped by Dragons
Author Dan Talintyre Timestamp Sun 1 Jul 2018, 01:16 PM

Western Suburbs Magpies have seen their winning run halted by an impressive St. George-Illawarra Dragons outfit today, with the visitors running out 22-18 winners from their Round 16 Intrust Super Premiership clash at Leichhardt Oval.

Having already suffered a heavy loss to the Dragons once this season, Brett Hodgson's side again found it tough going against the visitors' aggression and physicality despite a strong home crowd behind them.

The loss sees Western Suburbs narrowly remain in third place on the Intrust Super Premiership ladder with the bye next week, while the Dragons draw level on points with Magpies to sit in fourth position.

Former Wests Tigers junior Pio Sokobalavau got the Dragons off to the perfect start when he crashed over under the posts after just two minutes of play, and the visitors' lead was soon doubled when Jordan Pereira spun away from Tyson Gamble to score his fifth try in just two games against the Magpies this year.

Jai Field had no problems converting both tries to put the Dragons ahead of the clock after 10 minutes.

Recently signed to a new deal in the NRL squad, Luke Garner got Western Suburbs back in the match when he showed his class on last tackle to keep the ball alive for Tyson Gamble to score on the inside.

Gamble would sneak his conversion in off the upright to reduce the Dragons lead to 12-6 after 18 minutes.

A clever short side raid would allow Shaun Sauni-Esau to extend the visitors' lead once more when he dived over untouched after 29 minutes, but Jacob Liddle would respond with a short side try of his own — taking the score to 16-10 as both sides entered the half-time sheds at Leichhardt Oval.

Desperate to fight back in the contest, Western Suburbs again found themselves under pressure off the back of consecutive penalties, and soon went behind further on the scoreboard as Jackson Ford crashed over on the left edge — question marks asked about the validity of the pass but the try was awarded nonetheless.

A penalty goal for Field allowed the Dragons to take their lead to two converted tries with just under half an hour to play, before Lucas Price kept the home side in the contest with his try on 58 minutes.

Gamble's missed conversion from out wide would crucially leave the visitors' lead at eight points.

Western Suburbs refused to go away and, with the strong Leichhardt Oval crowd cheering them on, set the game up for a grandstand finish when Price latched on to the end of Gamble's cross-field kick.

Gamble's missed conversion would leave the score at 22-18, with goal-kicking proving the difference in the end as the Dragons emerged with a four-point win despite both teams scoring four tries.

St. George-Illawarra Dragons 22 (Sokobalavau, Pereira, Sauni-Esau, Ford tries; Field 3/5 goals) def. Western Suburbs Magpies 18 (Price 2, Gamble, Liddle tries; Gamble 1/3 goals) at Leichhardt Oval

weststigerman

Post by weststigerman » Sun 01 Jul, 2018 1:50 pm

Wingers are terrible.

Clarke looked okay, some good players there mixed with some very average players.

andrew 474

Post by andrew 474 » Sun 01 Jul, 2018 2:45 pm

Watched the game , average team at best , I do have a worry with Liddle if he is our future 9 , he is average at best and I don't think Ivan will keep going with him unless he starts to get on top , he is no where near top grade level , I can see Farah extended for another year and if Liddle still has not improved we will buy a 9 and he will go

Demps

Post by Demps » Sun 01 Jul, 2018 3:08 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Sun 01 Jul, 2018 1:31 pm
Didnt look like it...
Communication helps
Selfish hero player brah...
Like a budget Jacob Miller.
Shouldn't see first grade again.
#Unbeatable

"I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid" - John Gotti

Wests Tigers Forum's most brilliant mind.

magpiecol

Post by magpiecol » Mon 02 Jul, 2018 10:16 am

Demps wrote:
Sun 01 Jul, 2018 3:08 pm
innsaneink wrote:
Didnt look like it...
Communication helps
They were 8 meters out. One player chased.

Not Gambles fault. He was trying to win. We need some players with a football brain.

Demps

Post by Demps » Mon 02 Jul, 2018 10:17 am

magpiecol wrote:
Mon 02 Jul, 2018 10:16 am
Demps wrote:
innsaneink wrote:
Didnt look like it...
Communication helps

Not Gambles fault. He was trying to win. We need some players with a football brain.
All good brah.
Either way, Gamble is a dud.
#Unbeatable

"I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid" - John Gotti

Wests Tigers Forum's most brilliant mind.

Balmain Boy

Post by Balmain Boy » Mon 02 Jul, 2018 11:37 am

The quality has all left this squad now. There's very little left for Liddle and Gamble to work with.

If you look at yesterday's lineup we had the worst backline in the comp by a long way. Robson is forced to play out of position in the centres, but the like of Tali, O'Toole, Price are ron massey cup players.

When this team had the liked of Fonua, Nof, Kev, Drinkwater, Grant, Sue etc we rightfully looked like worldbeaters as these players are standouts at this level. Now our pack is poor, our backs are worse, and Godinet isn't close to being a competent halfback.

The lack of new signings means this team will struggle to make the finals and will be lucky to win more than a couple of games in the run home. If a few players finally drop back from the NRL squad we might have a chance. The fact we never replaced the likes of Suli or Milne had decimated our ISP squad.

On the match, we were rubbish, but somehow we still should have won. Starting the match with 1 prop is a stupid move. There were several sets where a forward didn't touch the ball once! This seems to be a strategy of sorts at WT. Thing is we don't have wingers that have any power so we struggle immensely with weak hitups from the backs.

Garner playing on the right should be a precursor to him playing first grade in 2 weeks time.

fergiefurr

Post by fergiefurr » Mon 02 Jul, 2018 11:59 am

saw the first 25 mins on fox before i left for the ground. dylan smith has put on a lot of size since i saw him in the pre season, i didnt recognise him at first.

the problem with nsw cup is the gap between the real good players and terrible players is much bigger then first grade. you have capable first graders against guys who train twice a week and work fulltime. with the likes of milne, drinkwater, felisse leaving the club and first grade having some injuries its brought in guys who dont belong anywhere near this level.

FOD001

Post by FOD001 » Mon 02 Jul, 2018 1:00 pm

magpiecol wrote:
Demps wrote:
innsaneink wrote:
Didnt look like it...
Communication helps

Gamble heard a call to kick, which appears to be a cat call from the opposition, but it didn’t come from inside him as they were setting up a push to the post. These things happen under pressure and he’ll get better with experience.
I thought they played really well after a shocking 1st five minutes and it was 3v4 after all. We had more chances to score and were the better team for most of the match.
I’m sure after the bye they’ll have a couple of NRL players and Heleta come back

Nucky Thompson

Post by Nucky Thompson » Tue 03 Jul, 2018 2:28 pm

FOD001 wrote:
Sun 01 Jul, 2018 1:28 pm
Great debut by Dylan Smith. Didn’t look out of place at all and a good try assist. It will be interesting to see if they give him anymore game time this year
Yeah good for his age one to watch to develop.

Balmain Boy

Post by Balmain Boy » Tue 03 Jul, 2018 3:36 pm

I wonder if Smith would be a smokey for a wing spot next year if we can't sign one?

momo&medo

Post by momo&medo » Tue 03 Jul, 2018 8:37 pm

Demps wrote:
Mon 02 Jul, 2018 10:17 am
magpiecol wrote:
Demps wrote:
innsaneink wrote:
Didnt look like it...
Communication helps

All good brah.
Either way, Gamble is a dud.
Early days .... you may be bit quick on the draw in your assessments.
Have been critical of his tackling, needs more time and maturity.
I think signing him for 2-3 years was worth the risk ... may surprise if few rough edges are worked on and fixed by coaching staff.

momo&medo

Post by momo&medo » Tue 03 Jul, 2018 8:41 pm

Nucky Thompson wrote:
Tue 03 Jul, 2018 2:28 pm
FOD001 wrote:
Sun 01 Jul, 2018 1:28 pm
Yeah good for his age one to watch to develop.
Agree. Think he and McIntyre have potential and for me, are definite keepers.