Wests Tigers State Cup Discussion
Demps

THE MYTH OF MATT WOODS

Post by Demps » Thu 09 Aug, 2018 10:41 pm

Who was this guy?
He had a mad buzz / hype around him...

.... Then we traded him to Parra?
For what? What did we get?

Heard his name mentioned many times but can't remember him ever doing anything that good?

Hard to find much any info on google about him apart from him making the bench for 20s origin... No contract at present but was at Wentworthville.

Anyone remember much about him?
#Unbeatable

"I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid" - John Gotti

Wests Tigers Forum's most brilliant mind.

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by formerguest » Thu 09 Aug, 2018 10:44 pm

Wasn't he a sort of swap for Aloiai?

Demps

Post by Demps » Thu 09 Aug, 2018 10:48 pm

formerguest wrote:
Thu 09 Aug, 2018 10:44 pm
Wasn't he a sort of swap for Aloiai?
Seems an odd swap...
Traded a first grade ready player, for us at least... For some bloke that's never played grade and more than likely won't?
#Unbeatable

"I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid" - John Gotti

momo&medo

Post by momo&medo » Thu 09 Aug, 2018 10:52 pm

Thought he was capitan of our U20 for a while.
Was never anything special from what I saw.

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Thu 09 Aug, 2018 10:59 pm

Never really filled out as far as I could tell, always on the skinny side.

Whilst we are casting out names, I assume Marion Seve and Salesi Funaki are not going to appear in FG any time soon either?

Ray Stone?

Demps

Post by Demps » Thu 09 Aug, 2018 11:02 pm

jirskyr wrote:
Thu 09 Aug, 2018 10:59 pm

Whilst we are casting out names, I assume Marion Seve and Salesi Funaki are not going to appear in FG any time soon either?

Ray Stone?
Seve just signed with Melbourne I read somewhere.

Ray Stone was all heart, solid as rock.... But another one on the small side.
Love to see him make grade but again, might never happen for him.
#Unbeatable

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Thu 09 Aug, 2018 11:20 pm

Demps wrote:
Thu 09 Aug, 2018 11:02 pm
jirskyr wrote:

Ray Stone?

Never heard a Tigers junior so hyped and so far from delivering on that hype, than Seve. Was supposed to be THE standout talent in his year along with Sione Mata'utia; at least Sione played for Australia and has had a regular FG gig, if somewhat underwhelming.

Obviously Broncos have some fair centres depth and they just debuted that Shibasaki kid this evening.

Not so deep in the centres at Melbourne.

momo&medo

Post by momo&medo » Thu 09 Aug, 2018 11:30 pm

jirskyr wrote:
Thu 09 Aug, 2018 11:20 pm
Demps wrote:
jirskyr wrote:

Ray Stone?

Never heard a Tigers junior so hyped and so far from delivering on that hype, than Seve. Was supposed to be THE standout talent in his year along with Sione Mata'utia; at least Sione played for Australia and has had a regular FG gig, if somewhat underwhelming.

Obviously Broncos have some fair centres depth and they just debuted that Shibasaki kid this evening.

Says a lot that last sentence, about the the fact that you can get away with weakness in the centres if the rest of your side is stacked with talent.

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Fri 10 Aug, 2018 10:25 am

momo&medo wrote:
Thu 09 Aug, 2018 11:30 pm
jirskyr wrote:
Demps wrote:
jirskyr wrote:

Ray Stone?

Says a lot that last sentence, about the the fact that you can get away with weakness in the centres if the rest of your side is stacked with talent.
Also in fairness I don't believe Chambers or Scott get injured too often? So Melbourne haven't been exposed to their backups much and their first-choice combo is pretty darn good.

momo&medo

Post by momo&medo » Fri 10 Aug, 2018 10:32 am

jirskyr wrote:
Fri 10 Aug, 2018 10:25 am
momo&medo wrote:
jirskyr wrote:
Demps wrote:

Also in fairness I don't believe Chambers or Scott get injured too often? So Melbourne haven't been exposed to their backups much and their first-choice combo is pretty darn good.
No doubt they are good but I don't know that I would break my neck trying to sign them.

Nelson

Post by Nelson » Fri 10 Aug, 2018 12:50 pm

momo&medo wrote:
jirskyr wrote:
Demps wrote:
jirskyr wrote:

Ray Stone?

Chambers and Scott is a gun centre pairing...their depth at centre is decent as well given they seem able to get the best out of Cheyse Blair and they also have Justin Olam. Bad centres - particularly bad defensive centres - are a massive liability.

Harvey

Post by Harvey » Fri 10 Aug, 2018 9:00 pm

Ray Stone has been on parra's extended bench a few times this year. May still make it.

Other child stars Tyler Cassell, Lamar Liolavave, Mitch Moses.

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Sat 11 Aug, 2018 4:40 pm

Lamar played what one FG game for Canterbury?
"This club means a lot to me and I really love this club, I love playing here, I love playing with all of the boys, it's what I've known for pretty much all of my life and I'm happy to be here." - Luke Brooks.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

Demps

Post by Demps » Sat 11 Aug, 2018 4:43 pm

Cultured Bogan wrote:
Sat 11 Aug, 2018 4:40 pm
Lamar played what one FG game for Canterbury?
Plays in Q cup now.

One of the forum hype boys that pop up year to year...

Personally saw nothing to back up any of the forum hype he got, during that year.
#Unbeatable

fibrodreaming

Post by fibrodreaming » Sat 11 Aug, 2018 5:37 pm

Nelson wrote:
Fri 10 Aug, 2018 12:50 pm
momo&medo wrote:
jirskyr wrote:
Demps wrote:

Chambers and Scott is a gun centre pairing...their depth at centre is decent as well given they seem able to get the best out of Cheyse Blair and they also have Justin Olam. Bad centres - particularly bad defensive centres - are a massive liability.
Is there such a thing as a "center pairing" these days ? In my day as a centre (back in the dark ages) centers played side by side on both sides of the field and we only had centre aside when the ptb or the scrum was in the middle (but not always). In those days centres combined; these days they play on opposite sides and rarely, if ever, see each other.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sat 11 Aug, 2018 5:53 pm

Probably deserves a thread of its own, but it’s made me wonder. Whose had the biggest hype in the juniors who amounted to nothing in first grade. Hard to go past Jake Mullaney imo.

Harvey

Post by Harvey » Sat 11 Aug, 2018 7:05 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Sat 11 Aug, 2018 5:53 pm
Probably deserves a thread of its own, but it’s made me wonder. Whose had the biggest hype in the juniors who amounted to nothing in first grade. Hard to go past Jake Mullaney imo.
He actually played a season or so of NRL with Parramatta. Was average, did not match the hype, but achieved more than some of the other superstar juniors.

They have been a couple at other clubs that were paid huge money Karl Filiga a great example

Demps

Post by Demps » Sat 11 Aug, 2018 7:14 pm

Harvey wrote:
Sat 11 Aug, 2018 7:05 pm
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Sat 11 Aug, 2018 5:53 pm
He actually played a season or so of NRL with Parramatta. Was average, did not match the hype, but achieved more than some of the other superstar juniors.

They have been a couple at other clubs that were paid huge money Karl Filiga a great example
Wonder what hes up to these days....
#Unbeatable