Not that disappointed...

ImageImageImage
stryker

Not that disappointed...

Post by stryker » Sun 24 Feb, 2013 3:02 am

Firstly it was a trial and as such a game where the best dont put their heart and soul into it.

That being said, the real competition tonight took place in the first 40. The Roosters had the run of the game through back to back penalties (4 or 5 in a row?) and only managed to score the 10 points. The Tiges - missing some big men clawed their backsides back into the game through hard work and structure. Galloway and Buchy played strong as did Blair. Nothing too special but enough in a trial to tell me this side has improved. We played some great field position through our kicks and the chases associated and forced a few drop outs. When we had to score, Farah and Marshal stood up and combined beautifully. The Roosters certainly had the run with the ref and the game itself in that first 40 and almost went into half time down.

The second 40 was a bit of a blow out but I am not too concerned. Players were coming and going, changing positions and some left the field and never returned. Its a trial and thats what happens. We got a couple of late tries to make the score respectable but we were never in that second half as I feel the boys were holding something back. I thought the Roosters were strong without being brilliant and their defense was impressive. Our structure did fall away a tad but under the circumstances...not that big of a deal. We werent in top gear and the side on the paddock for the second half was far from our starting 13.

Certain players went well. Gal, Blair, Thompson were great. Miller capable and Ayshford and Teddy involved. The only thing I didnt like was that Benji was guilty of running into the same holes he was trying to put runners through. Absolute no-no and as a result Rowdy and Blair recieved some good hospitals that saw them hammered. However that can be forgiven as it is the start of the year and combinations are still a little rusty. After all it is a trial.

I am far from convinced we are a top 8 side, however I saw some good signs out there that will be a good foundation to start the year from. People are getting far too upset about that performance. We put 40 on the eels last week and they turned around and drew with the panthers who are supposedly in for a strong year. The Raiders downed the Dogs and the Broncs were beat again....point being you really can not predict seasonal form from a trial. We will be ready for Newy as we were not in top gear tonight and if not we will bounce back in round 2.

Its a long year and tonight is far too early to write us off.

pHyR3

Post by pHyR3 » Sun 24 Feb, 2013 8:49 am

Could you repeat your point about benji running into the holes? not sure what you mean
''Everybody talks about their four brothers, we have 17 here so we don't really care about them."

Post by Guest » Sun 24 Feb, 2013 9:41 am

stryker wrote:Firstly it was a trial and as such a game where the best dont put their heart and soul into it.

That being said, the real competition tonight took place in the first 40. The Roosters had the run of the game through back to back penalties (4 or 5 in a row?) and only managed to score the 10 points. The Tiges - missing some big men clawed their backsides back into the game through hard work and structure. Galloway and Buchy played strong as did Blair. Nothing too special but enough in a trial to tell me this side has improved. We played some great field position through our kicks and the chases associated and forced a few drop outs. When we had to score, Farah and Marshal stood up and combined beautifully. The Roosters certainly had the run with the ref and the game itself in that first 40 and almost went into half time down.

The second 40 was a bit of a blow out but I am not too concerned. Players were coming and going, changing positions and some left the field and never returned. Its a trial and thats what happens. We got a couple of late tries to make the score respectable but we were never in that second half as I feel the boys were holding something back. I thought the Roosters were strong without being brilliant and their defense was impressive. Our structure did fall away a tad but under the circumstances...not that big of a deal. We werent in top gear and the side on the paddock for the second half was far from our starting 13.

Certain players went well. Gal, Blair, Thompson were great. Miller capable and Ayshford and Teddy involved. The only thing I didnt like was that Benji was guilty of running into the same holes he was trying to put runners through. Absolute no-no and as a result Rowdy and Blair recieved some good hospitals that saw them hammered. However that can be forgiven as it is the start of the year and combinations are still a little rusty. After all it is a trial.

I am far from convinced we are a top 8 side, however I saw some good signs out there that will be a good foundation to start the year from. People are getting far too upset about that performance. We put 40 on the eels last week and they turned around and drew with the panthers who are supposedly in for a strong year. The Raiders downed the Dogs and the Broncs were beat again....point being you really can not predict seasonal form from a trial. We will be ready for Newy as we were not in top gear tonight and if not we will bounce back in round 2.

I disagree with what you said about Blair. He was not great last night. Robbie and benji combined ? When did that happen. And if it did it didn't work.

Posted using RoarFEED 2013

joe's magpies

Post by joe's magpies » Sun 24 Feb, 2013 9:43 am

stryker wrote:Firstly it was a trial and as such a game where the best dont put their heart and soul into it.

Well said.

Gazman

Post by Gazman » Sun 24 Feb, 2013 10:01 am

Great Post X 2 , cant wait for the real comp to start

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sun 24 Feb, 2013 10:24 am

Sorry Stryker all I saw was a side that has the same problems that the 2012 side had

Constantly on the back foot in defence ,seemed to show little cohesion in attack

Whenever we get into a the wrestle and grind against a side this season and we don't win the forward battle we will lose

I don't even think if we match sides in the forwards we will win many games , it will be dominate or get our butts handed to us

smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by smeghead » Sun 24 Feb, 2013 10:29 am

I have nothing to compare this performance to as it is my first trial I witnessed this season.

We seemed to lack any structure in attack and were monstered a lot of the time.

That said it is a trial and interchanges are unlimited so no more of a gauge then last week really.

All I will say is I think Fulton needs a few weeks at State Cup to get some game time under his belt before I would have him in the side.

But come Round 1 we will see where we sit

tigersrule4life

Post by tigersrule4life » Sun 24 Feb, 2013 11:10 am

We didnt even play hard you can tell on the field but i think our defence is starting to look better then last year its only a trail match lets see how we go in round 1.

stryker

Post by stryker » Sun 24 Feb, 2013 12:32 pm

Guest wrote: I disagree with what you said about Blair. He was not great last night. Robbie and benji combined ? When did that happen. And if it did it didn't work.

I thought Blair played strongly and was involved much more than most games last year.
Rob and Benj combined for our first try. It was a hard graft to get to the point were we could score and when the occasion arose, the right blokes got a hold of the ball.

We were far from impressive, but I am not slitting my wrists over a trial game. We were only at 75% last night...they will put in versus the Knights and you will see a vastly improved performance. If not, I will join you in criticising them.

stryker

Post by stryker » Sun 24 Feb, 2013 12:40 pm

pHyR3 wrote:Could you repeat your point about benji running into the holes? not sure what you mean
Benji has this bad habiit of crabbing across field when under pressure and placing himself and his runner in the same hole. When on form, he beats his bloke and draws the runners inside man creating space for said runner to attack. On a few occasions last night, Blair and Lawrence especially were lined up and running hard at the hole and Benji reduced the space by taking the defenders across field with him. When he realised he couldnt make a break, he off loaded to these poor buggers who were met by 2 defenders who hit them hard.

I was hoping for more cohesion in this area and given the fact that Rowdy and Blair are fit, was hoping to see them run hard and recieve good ball. They, for the most part, did their job. Anyay, it is very early and there is some rustiness present. He will get the timing right and there will be space out wide for these fellas.

stryker

Post by stryker » Sun 24 Feb, 2013 12:54 pm

happy tiger wrote:Sorry Stryker all I saw was a side that has the same problems that the 2012 side had. Constantly on the back foot in defence ,seemed to show little cohesion in attack
I am not disputing that mate. 2012 was a shocker. I was filthy with their efforts in most games - even some of the ones they managed to win. Last night when the top side (minus some forward muscle) was on the field, they showed good fight to comeback in the first 40.
happy tiger wrote:Whenever we get into a the wrestle and grind against a side this season and we don't win the forward battle we will lose. I don't even think if we match sides in the forwards we will win many games , it will be dominate or get our butts handed to us
It is going to take some time to erradicate the sins of the Sheens era i.e. poor defensive structures. We are certainly out muscled in the forwards and are short on genuine prop forwards. They are inherited problems for Potter and I am interested to see how he tackles the issue. There were games last year where we did bend our backs and grind out wins or at least stop the game becoming a blowout. However being able to do that week in, week out is our weakness. I am reserving judgement until I see them play a handful of premiership games before deciding upon whether anything has changed. Last night was a trial and for mine not a real indicator as to how we will go this year.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sun 24 Feb, 2013 1:02 pm

I think this: Its only a trial they wanted it more we didnt try" is a load of malarkey....seen it posted a few times since last night.

I thought the big word at training during summer was COMPETITION....Potsy had introduced all this compettiveness into training all over the place

simonthetiger

Post by simonthetiger » Sun 24 Feb, 2013 1:46 pm

I saw some positves.

That is all.

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Sun 24 Feb, 2013 2:26 pm

I wish these Guests would stop hiding behind anonymity and put their names to comments. Have some accountability for what you say.
And she's turning cold, at fifteen years old,
Taken too much slow, minds gone out to sea on the P&O,
Don't know what to do, rotten shade of blue,
Another case of "stupid is as stupid does..."

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

shadow

Post by shadow » Sun 24 Feb, 2013 6:19 pm

Cultured Bogan wrote:I wish these Guests would stop hiding behind anonymity and put their names to comments. Have some accountability for what you say.

There might be a site error cause i posted before and it came up as a guest not my name

bp tiger

Post by bp tiger » Sun 24 Feb, 2013 8:45 pm

all i seen was a side that got belted all around the park, we played like strangers in attack, and if potter does not cull after a effort like that then he is no better than sheens.

PYMBLEPETE

Post by PYMBLEPETE » Sun 24 Feb, 2013 8:51 pm

bp tiger wrote:all i seen was a side that got belted all around the park, we played like strangers in attack, and if potter does not cull after a effort like that then he is no better than sheens.
How many of our top 13 were not on the park for a big chunk of the second half?

They were competitive for a long time and that was with our top prop not participating, and several of our players more or less straight out of rehab. No need to become despondent just yet.

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Sun 24 Feb, 2013 9:48 pm

It was a trial and we are a work in progress. Teams take trials far more seriously than others, others take it easy to mitigate the risk of injuries.

Potter is not going to fix everything in two games. I did see a far more controlled Tigers outfit playing simple football in the first half, however we were still dominated physically and with a very thin front row depth to call on over the next fortnight I think we will struggle to contain sides.
And she's turning cold, at fifteen years old,
Taken too much slow, minds gone out to sea on the P&O,
Don't know what to do, rotten shade of blue,
Another case of "stupid is as stupid does..."

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...