What Needs to Happen

ImageImageImage
Yossarian

Re: What Needs to Happen

Post by Yossarian » Tue 12 Mar, 2013 10:27 am

happy tiger wrote:Sirro will never cut it in the centres , he would be slower than Lawrence and Ayshford

If we were going to experiment with a forward in the centres it would be BMM or Big T, peel 5-10kgs off their frames and really work on their defence and lateral movement and see how they go
To be honest I'd be happy to sacrifice some speed for better defenders out there at the moment. Guys like Jennings and Gagai must do a fist pump when they realise they're playing us. A little bit of footwork or ball movement and everyone panics. A couple of times our centres were in a position to hammer their backs and stopped so they could get palmed off.

foreveratiger

Post by foreveratiger » Tue 12 Mar, 2013 10:33 am

What needs to happen ??? Fill your bar with Alcohol .
It depends who you talk to on this Forum, if you are Optimistic? it's because your delusional and need a reality check. If you are Pessimistic? Your accused of being a negative Nancy and to go and follow another Club.

cktiger

Post by cktiger » Tue 12 Mar, 2013 10:36 am

FARANGALANG wrote:
zoggy66 wrote:Tigers are too slow, too SMALL, and simply not strong enough to compete in first grade. What we need is some go forward, size, strength, speed, we have none in this group. Benji is way overrated, get rid of him.
Wooden spoon here we come I am afraid. After watching souths on Thursday I can say they will beat us by 60+. The only positive was the first 10 minutes, we looked sharp. Then the wheels feel off, Tigers are just too soft

Agree totally.The first thing I do is sack moltzen and throw in teddy.Lawrence and ayshford on borrowed time.Blair 500 g a year see ya later.Anasta who ever signed him.too small.Fulton signed for another 3 years.Big heart always tries but he exactly is not what we need would start with getting Sam mckendry.Big prop who really bends the line and is only 23.Need time to think about backrowers we should be targetting.Give miller a break no halfback will look good with the forward pack we have at the moment.
You can say that in regards to his attack but the forwards didn't make him miss tackles , throw bad passes and drop the ball.
Honestly hard to pinpoint the blame on any one player though.
As for Tedesco he played ordinary in the reggies along with a few other guys who would have been hoping for a call up.
Big week ahead for Potter.

Merlot Tiger

Post by Merlot Tiger » Tue 12 Mar, 2013 10:43 am

I think what needs to happen is to show some faith. It's one game against a pumped and bulked up Newcastle side in front of 20k of there fans at their new you beaut stadium. The first 2-3 games of the season are always riddled with one if not both teams continually making errors, etc. Yes, Utai needs to go, Moltzen to the bench to cover for Miller if he is not handling it, and personally I think Sironen into the centres in a few weeks is a great idea. But heavy changes just after one game which can always have the potential to be a lottery, I don't think so at this stage. Steady on chaps. Let's see what happens against Penrith at Campbelltown and Parramatta at Leichhardt before we drop half the team and start hearing from the "sack Potter" brigade.

bbtigers81

Post by bbtigers81 » Tue 12 Mar, 2013 10:47 am

I think that there are alot of good thoughts on this thread. My father died about three weeks ago. He was a die-hard, dyed-in-the-wool Balmain fan for about sixty years, and his ashes would have been spinning in their urn after last night's performance. Having said that, I think it's definitely possible to straighten the ship and set course for Premiershipland.
1. Bye bye Utai. I love the bloke, but he showed again last night how much of a defensive liability he can be, especially when defending our own goal. Also, Reddy is NOT the man to replace him (don't know who is).
2. Halves need to take on the line. Barely happened, but when it did, we put the opp defence under pressure.
3. Our forwards are a real problem. Ithink our front row looks ok. Galloway, when he was on and we had the ball, made some dents and I like the look of Buchanan. But their lateral movement was pretty shady. And, as just about everybody else on this forum has already stated, our back row lack any kind of impact or penetration. I thought that BMM looked good when he was running on the edge. Maybe he could find a home there, like Taylor.
4. We need more speed. Lawrence was a real demon a few years ago. In 2010 he was unstoppable. Sad to say but thanks to that hip injury, I think his best days are behind him. I think he was outplayed by every other centre on the field last night. Including Ayshford. And he wasn't that good either.
5. I don't think that Moltzen was as bad last night as he has been in the past. But he still wasn't good. We need a fullback who will put his body on the line in attack and defence, who can repeatedly create opportunities with their support play, and who will attack the goddamned high ball.

I guess alot of this is pretty self evident. Won't be too different to what alot of people have already said. I think that Miller should definitely stay as our halfback for now and be given a decent chance to cement his position. I think Mr Marshall needs a fire lit under his arse (how I don't know), and I think that if all else fails we should start to blood some promising youngsters with a view to the future. Patience is the key here. For everyone. Rome wasn't built in a day.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Tue 12 Mar, 2013 10:57 am

Some really good points BB and sorry to hear about your Dad

Rome certainly wasn't built in a day , especially after Nero (Sheens ) did everything in his powers to burn the place down

Citizen Tiger

Post by Citizen Tiger » Tue 12 Mar, 2013 11:22 am

Teams that have size and sensible, simple attacking structure will always make 40 to 50 metres in 5 tackles. They focus on field position and then pressure at the back end of the tackle count

We lack the size and judging by the number of times I see backs assuming forward's roles, we just lack the capacity to effect decent field position, let alone apply pressure. I'm already sick to death of seeing Koro beaten up.Watch the highlights of the Foundation Cup, the difference in the effectiveness of the respective team's patterns is very evident

Marshall, it has to be said, is just not interested in challenging the line anymore. How long will this remain acceptable?

zoggy66

Post by zoggy66 » Wed 13 Mar, 2013 9:35 am

Ok Sam McKendry, great choice, he has always impressed me. I agree about Miller, give him a few more games.

FARANGALANG wrote:
zoggy66 wrote:Tigers are too slow, too SMALL, and simply not strong enough to compete in first grade. What we need is some go forward, size, strength, speed, we have none in this group. Benji is way overrated, get rid of him.
Wooden spoon here we come I am afraid. After watching souths on Thursday I can say they will beat us by 60+. The only positive was the first 10 minutes, we looked sharp. Then the wheels feel off, Tigers are just too soft

Agree totally.The first thing I do is sack moltzen and throw in teddy.Lawrence and ayshford on borrowed time.Blair 500 g a year see ya later.Anasta who ever signed him.too small.Fulton signed for another 3 years.Big heart always tries but he exactly is not what we need would start with getting Sam mckendry.Big prop who really bends the line and is only 23.Need time to think about backrowers we should be targetting.Give miller a break no halfback will look good with the forward pack we have at the moment.

Newtown

Post by Newtown » Wed 13 Mar, 2013 9:53 am

happy tiger wrote:Sirro will never cut it in the centres , he would be slower than Lawrence and Ayshford

If we were going to experiment with a forward in the centres it would be BMM or Big T, peel 5-10kgs off their frames and really work on their defence and lateral movement and see how they go
How about Bodene Thompson as centre?