Ava Seumanufagai

ImageImageImage
gatoloco

Re: Ava Seumanufagai

Post by gatoloco » Thu 21 Mar, 2013 1:48 pm

hope he runs has a good game and makes the spot his until Galloway's return and pushes for a permanent spot. best of luck mate.

Tigersmurf

Post by Tigersmurf » Thu 21 Mar, 2013 2:35 pm

I must admit I get a lot of satisfaction and a real sense of excitementwhen I see a new player get a shot. That try Lawrence scored on debut against Brisbane still makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

Onto the discussion on all these pec injuries. You can continue to strengthen the muscle as much as you want, but the chain is only as strong as its weakest link, which in this case would be the ligaments. I am not sure that you can strengthen ligaments. You can increase their range of flexibility which will help. I wonder how much emphasis is placed on stretching in a footy club? What type of stretching?

I think the problem these days is that the players are too fit and strong. Somethings gotta give. In the 80's Ian Roberts was one of the fittest guys I could remeber.......and he was always injured. Blocker - rarely so.

willow

Post by willow » Thu 21 Mar, 2013 3:12 pm

Groat is due back in round 7 too. He'll need a few weeks in State Cup to get some match fitness up, but at least there's another option in a couple of months.

willow

Post by willow » Thu 21 Mar, 2013 8:11 pm

Courtesy of the official Wests Tigers website:

John Skandalis confident Seumanufagi can handle NRL

John Skandalis is confident Ava Seumanufagi can handle the pressure of first grade should he make his NRL debut at Leichhardt Oval on Friday night.

Seumanufagi has been named on the interchange bench in Mick Potter’s 19-man squad for the home clash against Parramatta.

Talented young forward Sauaso Sue has also been named in the extended squad. Potter will finalise his team an hour before kick-off.

Skandalis, the Wests Tigers NRL High Performance Manager and former premiership winning prop, says both boys would not let anyone down should they both get their opportunity.

“This is a just reward for both players for the amount of hard work they have put in over the off season. This is an opportunity for them to show they want to stay in first grade,’’ Skandalis said.

“I can’t fault their efforts in the gym or on the field. They do the little one per centres. Any young kid coming through who wants a tip on what it takes to make first grade should watch Ava and Sauaso.

“Ava’s goal for the year was to lose a little bit of weight. I think he was tipping 117kg and we gave him a goal of getting to 110-112 kg mark. He did that.

“Sauaso has the best skin fold on any athlete I’ve seen. His challenge was to actually put on a bit of muscle on, put a bit of fat on, to get some protection there.

“Both boys ask a lot of questions and whatever advice we gave them, they did it. No questions asked.

“I don’t they will be overawed against the big Parramatta pack. Any player who makes his NRL debut runs off adrenalin and it keeps you going.

“You want to make your mark and an opportunity to cement a spot. Just like Jack Buchanan has done.

“I think they will be fine and hopefully they will add some spark to the team and help us win.”

It will be the first time Parramatta has played in a premiership match at Leichhardt Oval since 2004.

MacDougall

Post by MacDougall » Thu 21 Mar, 2013 9:09 pm

Sounds like Skando knows both of them are playing. Who misses out?

palms

Post by palms » Thu 21 Mar, 2013 11:56 pm

Interesting point you make mate, the way he is quoted definitely suggests both are playing. The only way that would be happening is if Bell dropped of the bench but I can't see Potter running with two debutantes on the bench plus a kid with two games under his belt starting at prop as well...

Peaches

Post by Peaches » Fri 22 Mar, 2013 12:41 am

Yeah either Skando knows they're both playing or Potter isn't sure what he is going to do with the bench. Good luck to the guys if they get a go. Either way, I'm sure injury aside they'll both see some first grade.

Plato

Post by Plato » Fri 22 Mar, 2013 1:09 am

Just a thought re the pec injuries, when shoulder charges were in vogue tackler's chests could be protected, but now tackler's are expected to approach opponents zombie-style with arms outstretched, thereby exposing their chests to injuries. We might see a few more broken ribs too unless common sense prevails and the shoulder charge is once again allowed. There is a big difference between legitimate shoulder charges, and intention to harm or attacking the head. Just my opinion anyway....

FARANGALANG

Post by FARANGALANG » Fri 22 Mar, 2013 11:25 am

Phantomlock wrote:Great to see another young prop get his chance. Impressed me last year and has worked very hard in the offseason!

I'm sure Ava will seize this opportunity the way Jack did. Both are awesome prospects for the club.

PL
If he does turn out to be a good one like buchanan seems our future in the space of 3 games is suddenly looking a lot rosier.Woods,buchanan and Ava.throw in Teddy,Koro, Sirro,BMM and brooks as we continue to blood these players and get rid of dead weight like blair and Anasta (and possibly benji :o ) we can really start to look like premiership contenders in another couple of years.

everett

Post by everett » Fri 22 Mar, 2013 12:16 pm

Competition for spots makes me happy.

We finally appear to have depth and if Groat is fine after round 7 then more depth.

Every week no player should be guaranteed a spot in the NRL top 17.

We all talk about a light weight second row combination but if Ava and Buchanan continue to develop we may be able to use a bigger pack in the future.

Imagine this as our starting side and bench. Size and mobility. Anasta has not be considered

Blair
Bell
Pettybourne
Galloway
Legend
Woods

BMM
Fulton
Seumanufagai
Buchanan
Thompson
Gavet
Groat
Sue
Living the dream and praying for another premiership

Easy Tiger.

Post by Easy Tiger. » Fri 22 Mar, 2013 12:27 pm

Cant wait to see Ava get a run tonight hope he goes good against his old club he played under 20s for parra.
NO 1 QLD TIGERS SUPPORTER.....

fergiefurr

Post by fergiefurr » Fri 22 Mar, 2013 1:17 pm

Sue was unlucky not to get MOTM in the 20s grand final IMO

However unless he has really stacked it on over the off season, I think he will get monstered in first grade

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Fri 22 Mar, 2013 6:05 pm

I just wanna know how his name is pronounced so I can tell if rabbs balls' it up or not.

Is it sue-manna-fah-guy?

pHyR3

Post by pHyR3 » Fri 22 Mar, 2013 7:39 pm

fergiefurr wrote:Sue was unlucky not to get MOTM in the 20s grand final IMO

However unless he has really stacked it on over the off season, I think he will get monstered in first grade
he slimmed down to 110...pettybourne is 101, so i think ava will be alright in terms of size. Pritchard's only got a few kgs on him.
''Everybody talks about their four brothers, we have 17 here so we don't really care about them."

king sirro

Post by king sirro » Fri 22 Mar, 2013 10:04 pm

He did well. Deserved more time but that will come
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Fri 22 Mar, 2013 10:20 pm

innsaneink wrote:I just wanna know how his name is pronounced so I can tell if rabbs balls' it up or not.

Is it sue-manna-fah-guy?

Rabs well and truely ballsed it up

His call tonite was bordering on racism....definitely insulting to Ava whose family wouldve all been watching proudly and had to put up with this old fart making light of thier heritage.
the guys a senile amateur, a pro wouldve done research, maybe ring the club, practise.
Get rid of him....it was cringeworthy

InBenjiWeTrust

Post by InBenjiWeTrust » Fri 22 Mar, 2013 10:29 pm

innsaneink wrote: Rabs well and truely ballsed it up
His call tonite was bordering on racism....definitely insulting to Ava whose family wouldve all been watching proudly and had to put up with this old fart making light of thier heritage.
the guys a senile amateur, a pro wouldve done research, maybe ring the club, practise.
Get rid of him....it was cringeworthy
It is not brain surgery (maybe it is for him :() It was embarrassing, and he should apologise to Ava and his family (wishful thinking, unfortunately :( )

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Fri 22 Mar, 2013 10:31 pm

Pretty handy debut imo . he get another shot v Manly

Is it me or is Buchanan struggling with the week to week grind already he seemed to be really struggling tonight Bloke was giving his all don't get me wrong , but defensively he was getting dominated

I hope they can work on his legs in the off season he lacks some strength and drive