Mistakes by Rookie Coach cost us!

ImageImageImage
InBenjiWeTrust

Re: Mistakes by Rookie Coach cost us!

Post by InBenjiWeTrust » Thu 28 Mar, 2013 10:52 pm

If we play Fulton we cannot play Anasta, on top of that it looks like both need to spend some time in WT NSW.
Again BMM and Pettybourne deserve more game time.
The only reason why Seumanufagai did not play was to save RW :(
Again our starting props played too many minutes, why ?
Why replace wing with FB?
Moltzen was again very good in defence, however, support play is not his strong side :(, so our attack is often stopped because 2nd phase is missing.
Lawrance is out of form, T Simona shall be given a chance.

Positive: Tedesco finally played at FB :)

Chris

Post by Chris » Thu 28 Mar, 2013 11:00 pm

innsaneink wrote:Rookie players make mistakes
So too rookie coaches.

He has limited resources, he cant win, he plays an experienced winger in Utai he's crucified

BMM is not an impact player, hes a pillow

Farah off? No idea....there wouldve been a reason, I do like the fact hes prepared to make tough decisions
Pretty spot on there Ink! Not to mention giving Tedesco a run at fullback towards the end. Was Moltzen injured?

I think Farah being off was a great learning experience for everyone. We all know what the team is like when he is on the field, goes to show what they're like when he's not there. Farah being off just showed everyone how much work is needed by the other 16 blokes wearing the tigers jumper.

Geez, hasn't taken the rest of you blokes long at all to pull the knives out. I've said it a thousand times and I'll say it again, Wests Tiger fans are the most fickle in the NRL. We could win the comp undefeated and some of you blokes would still find something to whinge about. Give Potter some time, he's only 4 weeks into the comp and he's 50/50 right now. Imagine being a Dragons fan right now?? If anyone has the right to blow up it's them poor bastards (couldnt happen to a better club btw ;))

Peaches

Post by Peaches » Thu 28 Mar, 2013 11:01 pm

InBenjiWeTrust wrote:Moltzen was again very good in defence, however, support play is not his strong side :(, so our attack is often stopped because 2nd phase is missing.

Positive: Tedesco finally played at FB :)
Very much disagree with the first part. Moltzen made a line break supporting Woods and getting an offload. He has been sniffing around Woods all season and then sits in the backline as part of the structure. Moltzen is playing fullback very well and should hold his spot.
Tedesco could do with an extended time playing fullback in the lower grades and just getting some footy under his belt.

Posted using RoarFEED 2013

Post by Guest » Thu 28 Mar, 2013 11:54 pm

tig_prmz wrote:teddy was the wrong choice, so was utai imo. i would've gone with simona

i was kinda glad he replaced farah. he's showing us who's the boss out there.. let's see if he gets stubborn and does it again.. dont think it's working.

im still not sure about bmm.. he is not running hard enough.. he can but he's not. idk why. also his tackles are not sticking.
l

Irvine

Post by Irvine » Fri 29 Mar, 2013 12:04 am

Cultured Bogan wrote:
alexaki wrote:Sorry Mick but you made some fundamental tactical mistakes tonight that cost us any chance of winning!.

1) Why oh why did you take Farah off at the 30 minute mark????????!!!!!!!!!!!.. Up till then were in the game, our attack was flowing, Benji was not trying to dominate. On comes Iosefa and our attack stutters, he gives away silly penalties, Marshall tries to dominate taking Miller out of the game and our attacking rhythm is lost, Manly score 2 trys and we are effective out of the game, Farah is spewing and no doubt the Tigers players are thinking WTF!

2) Tedesco is not a winger!...and it showed with trys being scored down his side as he was out of position.

3) BMM...is not being used as an impact player...why?....!

I hope you learnt from tonight's game Mick...because IMO you cost us that game!
There was passion, and the first 30 minutes was brilliant, but the question that begs to be asked is what if Farah ever goes off with a busted leg/arm/jaw. Will the team cope without him?

Robbie is a fantastic captain and bleeds our colours but what happens if God forbid we ever lose him to a season ending injury... Are you telling me it's OK to lay down then without his guidance? Not saying that Potter's decision to take him off was justified, but moreso if we inadvertently end up playing without him and get subsequently hammered, what's the excuse then?

I agree about Teddy, not because he isn't a winger (because our defensive structure often leaves the winger isolated,) but because he is a far superior fullback to Moltzen.
Would not have mattered who the winger was it's the people inside causing the problems.
Both times Tedesco had to go in on Lyons force him to pass then chase the winger. He can't just let Lyons have a clear run because Lawrence always goes in to help Miller. He forced Lyons to throw a forward pass but that doesn't matter.

The problems are before it gets to the wing.

I thought Tedesco did quite well playing out of position. Yeah he dropped a ball but Hey even Billy Slater dropped a few when he first started.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » Fri 29 Mar, 2013 12:32 am

Irvine wrote:
Cultured Bogan wrote:
alexaki wrote:Sorry Mick but you made some fundamental tactical mistakes tonight that cost us any chance of winning!.

1) Why oh why did you take Farah off at the 30 minute mark????????!!!!!!!!!!!.. Up till then were in the game, our attack was flowing, Benji was not trying to dominate. On comes Iosefa and our attack stutters, he gives away silly penalties, Marshall tries to dominate taking Miller out of the game and our attacking rhythm is lost, Manly score 2 trys and we are effective out of the game, Farah is spewing and no doubt the Tigers players are thinking WTF!

2) Tedesco is not a winger!...and it showed with trys being scored down his side as he was out of position.

3) BMM...is not being used as an impact player...why?....!

I hope you learnt from tonight's game Mick...because IMO you cost us that game!
There was passion, and the first 30 minutes was brilliant, but the question that begs to be asked is what if Farah ever goes off with a busted leg/arm/jaw. Will the team cope without him?

Robbie is a fantastic captain and bleeds our colours but what happens if God forbid we ever lose him to a season ending injury... Are you telling me it's OK to lay down then without his guidance? Not saying that Potter's decision to take him off was justified, but moreso if we inadvertently end up playing without him and get subsequently hammered, what's the excuse then?

I agree about Teddy, not because he isn't a winger (because our defensive structure often leaves the winger isolated,) but because he is a far superior fullback to Moltzen.
Would not have mattered who the winger was it's the people inside causing the problems.
Both times Tedesco had to go in on Lyons force him to pass then chase the winger. He can't just let Lyons have a clear run because Lawrence always goes in to help Miller. He forced Lyons to throw a forward pass but that doesn't matter.

I thought Tedesco did quite well playing out of position. Yeah he dropped a ball but Hey even Billy Slater dropped a few when he first started.
The second try was the worst. Lyon was the widest attacker which was fine but then Williams came over and was standing on his own on the wing and the defence didn't adjust. Not saying it was Tedesco's fault - he's probably paid very little wing - but it was far too simple.

Westie

Post by Westie » Fri 29 Mar, 2013 12:58 am

How many of us were counting on 2 pts tonight.

When I was looking at the draw and after the first 2 rounds I was not counting on 2 pts against manly.
The main reason being that Mick has only had the team a short period of time,and not enough time to gel the team together. Its going to be an ongoing thing.

Mind you I do expect a top 8 finish.....

Lets not forget it was raining cats & dogs tonight, and that **&*^% obstruction rule cost us points in the 1st half.
We had patient build up and purposeful attack in the first half.

But Micky.. if were smashing Manly take off farah for a break,

Or if we getting smashed take him off...

But not with 10 min to go and the game in the balance.

bonstonker

Post by bonstonker » Fri 29 Mar, 2013 3:42 am

it's one thing to take of farah,but to replace him with a player who isn't first grade material is dumb.

Tbone

Post by Tbone » Fri 29 Mar, 2013 3:53 am

Tonight was a good old fashioned case of being beaten by a better team. They hung in with solid defense when everything was going against them, then showed their attacking ability when things turned a fraction to their advantage. They have a better squad across the park, better structure and are more physical. The tigers attack was extremely pedestrian. I could have lived with a zero score line but letting in 5 tries after having somuch ball and on a wet night is a big problem and suggests defende is regressing, not getting better.

Unfortunately I think we'll see a lot of this in 2013 for our team. I'm being pretty realistic so the loss didn't upset me at all which is a big change from years gone by. I don't think it was a case of the tigers not trying hard. It was just a case of not being anywhere near good enough for a perennially good side.

Tiger Watto

Post by Tiger Watto » Fri 29 Mar, 2013 7:06 am

bonstonker wrote:it's one thing to take of farah,but to replace him with a player who isn't first grade material is dumb.
^^ This ^^

I've believed in resting Farah for 12 months now as his workload is too high and therefore reduces his effectiveness towards the backed of games. It's no secret we have also struggled with smart choices in the closing stages of games, and a freshened Farah should help this.

I'm critical of the timing... I couldn't see any benefit in taking Robbie off when he did. Potter needs to wait till after halftime, to get through the freshened forwards from the break. Iosefa is a terrible defender against fresh forwards and it showed as after the break, they went straight down the park. Having Robbie there would've been far better to rally troops and plug the holes. Give Robbie a 10-15min break at the 50th minute and bring him back on with 15 to go...

This decision was the wrong one last night, as it basically used 2 Interchanges in a game where we lacked impact from the bench.

Having BMM come on as an Prop last night was also a poor judgement by Harry... He had no choice, but BMM is only effective on the edges. Completely wasted in tight as he obviously doesn't like it either.

The last poor decision was the no decision/late if any, of switching the backline... We needed points, we had little to no go forward, so we had to make a change. Harry should've moved Tedesco to FB with 25 to go. He is our most likely attacking player with Marshall to break the line from our end of the field and he needed time to look for weaknesses in Manly's defence.

I thought we played ok yesterday with what we had... We needed big Ava on the bench simply for his size. At the end of the day, we couldn't get through Manly's defence and the use of the bench were the only difference between both teams.
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

Post by Guest » Fri 29 Mar, 2013 7:26 am

I thought Tedesco did quite well playing out of position. Yeah he dropped a ball but Hey even Billy Slater dropped a few when he first started.[/quote]

I think miller and rowdy have alot of work to do in defense

For all of u that dont know a winger MUST follow his centre in defense , that means if a centre comes in then he has to as well , if miller and rowdy both come in and someone takes wrong man or they both take the one player then there is an over lap.

The winger MUST follow his centre in and then is faced with a 2 on 1 situation , hes job then is to take the man with the ball and hopefully tackle him or make him make a play and they might drop the ball or make a mistake

The forward pass is an example of pressure from the winger

For me there alot of defensive issues out wide and it dosent matter who plays wing , there not gonna go away anytime soon

sunshine coast tiger

Post by sunshine coast tiger » Fri 29 Mar, 2013 7:42 am

bonstonker wrote:it's one thing to take of farah,but to replace him with a player who isn't first grade material is dumb.
Agree 100 %. Isofea in my opinion is not good enough to play NRL. I was puzzled we signed him last year as I though Pat Politioni was a better player. Hopefully we don't see Isofea in the top grade again this year.

Boonboon2

Post by Boonboon2 » Fri 29 Mar, 2013 8:29 am

We are going to see Iosefa in top grade again during origin I would imagine although Robbie on,y misses 1 game as we have 2 byes but Robbie made 43 tackles in the rain in60 minutes maybe potter was experimenting and that's ok as long as it doesn't happen regularly

smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by smeghead » Fri 29 Mar, 2013 8:38 am

Resting Robbie is great in principal.

However bon is spot on with his replacement not being up to scratch.

The bigger problem though is that when Farah goes off you leave Marsall in charge who overcalls Miller all the time and Ioseffa only wants to pass to Marshall. As such our game plan goes out the window ans we start playing rubbish touch football.

Theory was sound though and it is a learning curve

hybrid_tiger

Post by hybrid_tiger » Fri 29 Mar, 2013 9:06 am

Iosefa was playing park football for Mounties last year. You can see why. He couldn't tackle a wet paper bag.

And apparently the Warriors want him and we said no? Unbelievable.

simonthetiger

Post by simonthetiger » Fri 29 Mar, 2013 9:47 am

Could you imagine Craig Bellamy pulling Cam Smith off ten before half time with the game in the balance and replacing him with Ryan Hinchliffe???

IT WOULD NEVER HAPPEN!!!

Stupid mistake......Sheens must be wetting his pants,getting paid and getting to watch this clown make rookie mistakes.

Robbie was well pissed off and rightly so......20 mins off the field,replaced by a bozo.

The bloke is our captain,our rudder,our best player......its dead set mystifying.

simonthetiger

Post by simonthetiger » Fri 29 Mar, 2013 9:48 am

"I don't like coming off," Farah said. "It's the coach's decision, but no one likes sitting on the bench."

steve-o

Post by steve-o » Fri 29 Mar, 2013 10:32 am

PYMBLEPETE wrote:Strange decision as it turned out. Farah has been doing a lot of defence in our first three games so you can imagine that was behind the decision. However the fact that Farah was so openly hostile to the change seems to make a mockery of it though.

I am at my wits end with Marshall though. Is there anyone in the league who regularly puts up bombs who does it worse than him? How many times have we got to see this attempted kick behind the line (which regularly doesnt go behind the line)? Look he is trying; quite impressed with some of his defence tonight, but just not cutting it overall.
marshall is so bad at putting up bombs! he's easily the worst play maker in the game at bombing. and the thing that irks me the most is that hes not improving! he hasnt been able to bomb for years and we've seen no progress on this
Year of last finals appearance:
2018 - Roosters, Storm, Rabbitohs, Sharks, Panthers, Broncos, Dragons, Warriors
2017 - Eels, Sea Eagles, Cowboys
2016 - Raiders, Bulldogs, Titans
2013 - Knights
2011 - Tigers