Why did we get held to nil???

ImageImageImage
pHyR3

Why did we get held to nil???

Post by pHyR3 » Thu 28 Mar, 2013 10:18 pm

Please, someone. why the hell did we score 0 points?? I looked at the stats, not ONE of them indicated we lost 26-0.

Posession ~50% each
Complete Sets, Manly 26/43, Tigers 35/37
Total runs - Manly 145, Tigers 137
Tackle Busts Manly 16, Tigers 12
Offloads Manly 7, Tigers 5
Errors Manly 14, Tigers 10
Tackles Made Manly 264, Tigers 271
Tackles Missed Manly 12, Tigers 16
Penalties Conceded Manly 6, Tigers 9

Sure, manly beat us stat wise and no one anywhere could honestly say we should have or could have won that given what we saw. but 26-0??? I just didn't see that coming at any point in the game except the last 5.

Why was there no attack from the WESTS TIGERS!?!?!?
''Everybody talks about their four brothers, we have 17 here so we don't really care about them."

NJLM78

Post by NJLM78 » Thu 28 Mar, 2013 10:21 pm

If Benji was more accurate with his kicking we could have finished on 2.

Flippedy

Post by Flippedy » Thu 28 Mar, 2013 10:24 pm

Their defence was just too good and our attack was very predictable and non-threatening. That's about it really.
Sooner or later, next year has to be this year - Ricksen

Anthism

Post by Anthism » Thu 28 Mar, 2013 10:25 pm

We were pretty unlucky with a few. Should definitely have scored in that DCE play. Then that might have made it a ball game for the last 8-10 or so (not sure exactly what time he scored). We were definitely not out of our depths against a top 4 side even though they looked beyond horrible first 25mins.

AmericanHistoryX

Post by AmericanHistoryX » Thu 28 Mar, 2013 10:27 pm

NJLM78 wrote:If Benji was more accurate with his kicking we could have finished on 2.
very good point.
but Manly have the best defense in the comp @ the moment.
Clouds of Dust, Buckets of Blood

"They overcame the impossible by doing the unthinkable"

900large

Post by 900large » Thu 28 Mar, 2013 10:28 pm

Simple we dont know how to defend and attacking options are predictable and impotent and the coach is out of his depth.

Posted using RoarFEED 2013

Peaches

Post by Peaches » Thu 28 Mar, 2013 10:29 pm

There was a poor shepherd call in the first half which may have led to points. For the most part we built pressure but lacked punch on the edges.

Fraze23

Post by Fraze23 » Thu 28 Mar, 2013 10:32 pm

Because we don't have a forward pack big enough to create momentum and space for a backline to run off of.
We don't a half or 5/8 willing to step up, grab the game by the scruff of the neck and direct the team around the park.
From what I've seen we have no real structure in attack. We just seem to shift the ball sideways in the hope that someone will hit a gap or make a bust.

We need:
-Bigger Forwards
-A game plan that is inclusive and supporting of our halves pairing.
-Or a half that can demand the ball and lead the team around the paddock.

I've always been a huge defender of Benji when people have been critical of him, but gees it's getting hard to defend what he's been dishing up.

NJLM78

Post by NJLM78 » Thu 28 Mar, 2013 10:41 pm

It might be a Thursday thing too. Didn't we get beaten 64-0 by Melbourne Storm in Melbourne on a Thursday night in 2001??? Someone might remember those details better than me, but I'm sure that was a one off Thursday night game back then.

TIGER

Post by TIGER » Thu 28 Mar, 2013 11:03 pm

Because our attack is rubbish has been for years. Don't be confused into thinking our attack is all that just because we score a few tries against crappy defensive teams. Tonight proved we've got nothing against teams that can play football.

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Thu 28 Mar, 2013 11:04 pm

If Farah dosnt create a break it dosnt happen.Miller was out classed,Benji had yet another off day,the forwards outside woods have nothing.It will be a very very long season

rollingstone

Post by rollingstone » Thu 28 Mar, 2013 11:24 pm

Why were we held to nil? We played against a side who, according to the commentary, have only had tries scored against them in two halves of football this season. We could have scored a couple but things didn't go our way; just holster the poison pens for a while because we are in a rebuilding phase this year and next year will be better, just as this year will, as we re-learn our footy under a new coach who is also on a steep learning curve. As long as I can see the team being positioned for a good 2014, I don't care about early 2013 results.

The team needs support from us, not ranting, raving criticism. Don't sweat the results just yet, sit back and watch them improve bit by bit.

stryker

Post by stryker » Thu 28 Mar, 2013 11:55 pm

Rollingstone hit it on the head. Those that had us pegged for a good year have rocks in their head.... this year and most of next is about bringing the young blokes through and creating apremiership quality side. Whining about results this year doesnt make a lot of sense.

Demonborger

Post by Demonborger » Thu 28 Mar, 2013 11:59 pm

TIGER wrote:Because our attack is rubbish has been for years. Don't be confused into thinking our attack is all that just because we score a few tries against crappy defensive teams. Tonight proved we've got nothing against teams that can play football.
This. Our attack has been crap since '11, arguably earlier.

Tbone

Post by Tbone » Fri 29 Mar, 2013 4:04 am

Perfect example of why you can't place too much reliance on statistics. Stats are useful but nothing beats the 2 round balls on your face and the thing that looks like a walnut that sits in your skull.

If the stats tell us anything it's how ineffective we were with the ball in hand.

kh_canada

Post by kh_canada » Fri 29 Mar, 2013 4:35 am

I'm reluctant to believe those stats. Half-time the completions were 12/16 tigers.

The Huth... the Huth... the Huth is on fire

turnstyle
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right. Yep. Brisbane.

Post by turnstyle » Fri 29 Mar, 2013 6:35 am

Really? I mean seriously, I don't care what level of league (or any sport for that matter) we are talking about, in my view regardless of a caning, the lowest you can get is not even scoring. Sorry to take a broad approach and not diagnose, but in my opinion not even scoring once is the worst there is.
I don't care who they played. For dignity's sake even the worst of the worst should at least show something on the scoreboard.
For the last two seasons I retracted my benji bashing because objectively I believe he deserved it. But after only (yes, it's early) 3 rounds into this season I will say I think he is selfish. Yes, I'm out of the competitive age now, but honestly, as a former back, I would hate to play outside him.
It's his fault Lawrence hasn't become the player he should now be.
Yep. I am blaming Marshall for Lawrence's lack of expansion as a player. He is a great centre and I will say that if he were at say, manly or souths, he would be origin through and through.
Big rant, yes. I know. But that's what I believe and that's what I post.

clontarfkid

Post by clontarfkid » Fri 29 Mar, 2013 7:26 am

We got held to nil despite having THREE playmakers in the team because playmaker 1 Benji simply wont take the line on like Manly did,& prefers something flashy that will get his name in headlites inthe media.
Playmaker 2,Miller,was virtually invisible & progressed backwards from last week-jury still out on him
Playmaker 3,Anasta..did he actually play?
All three are poor defenders leaving our defence brittle.
At least one has to go..soon.And the other..Benji..needs a rocket