Why we were never winning this game

ImageImageImage
smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Why we were never winning this game

Post by smeghead » Tue 09 Apr, 2013 8:02 am

I think the penalty count was lopsided unfairly. If they were going to blow up at the ruck infractions we copped and not return in kind to Melbourne for the way they carried on in the ruck there would have been 40 penalties in th game. Robinson lost control pure and simple.

I don't understand what Blair did to get put on report, it looked like nothing to me. You want to see grubby watch every tackle Jesse Bromwich was involved with. Using the elbow to put pressure on the brain stem, cupping his hands over tackled players nose and mouth to limit air intake, sliding the knees over the calf muscles. Norrie cocks the elbow on every third hitup and they never get called for it.

willow

Post by willow » Tue 09 Apr, 2013 8:18 am

smeghead wrote:I think the penalty count was lopsided unfairly. If they were going to blow up at the ruck infractions we copped and not return in kind to Melbourne for the way they carried on in the ruck there would have been 40 penalties in th game. Robinson lost control pure and simple.

I don't understand what Blair did to get put on report, it looked like nothing to me. You want to see grubby watch every tackle Jesse Bromwich was involved with. Using the elbow to put pressure on the brain stem, cupping his hands over tackled players nose and mouth to limit air intake, sliding the knees over the calf muscles. Norrie cocks the elbow on every third hitup and they never get called for it.
Blair will get off Smeg. As for the penalties, it really hurt us at the backend of the game. Just hope we don't come out flat against the Dragons on Sunday.

cunno

Post by cunno » Tue 09 Apr, 2013 9:02 am

smeghead wrote:I think the penalty count was lopsided unfairly. If they were going to blow up at the ruck infractions we copped and not return in kind to Melbourne for the way they carried on in the ruck there would have been 40 penalties in th game. Robinson lost control pure and simple.

good observation of Bromwich's tackling 'style' as for Blair's leg pull, lack of experience from the new ref who called it.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Tue 09 Apr, 2013 9:09 am

willow wrote:

Blair will get off Smeg. As for the penalties, it really hurt us at the backend of the game. Just hope we don't come out flat against the Dragons on Sunday.
But will Farah get off ,it was him who actually had hold of his leg

cunno

Post by cunno » Tue 09 Apr, 2013 9:10 am

just on this topic there is an interesting read in the book 'clouds of dust buckets of blood' concerning the game against the dragons that the game this weekend commemorates if I remember correctly.

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Tue 09 Apr, 2013 10:12 am

I think it was a case of us trying to copy Melbourne's style and failing to nail it.

Let's be frank - if a team is going to get penalised for ruck infringements it should be Melbourne, they are the masters of it and continually invent new ways to frustrate opponents. Slater himself last night said he was frustrated by what the Tigers were doing, but acknowledged that Melbourne probably do it every week themselves.

Difference is that as masters of deception and corruption, Melbourne have a deft touch, wonderful sleight of hand. They work their opposition calmly and deceptively.

Tigers on the other hand were obvious, like a kid caught with their hand in the cookie jar. I don't feel the refs were consistent, but after about 30 mins we were so obvious about it that they were constantly picking up infringements.

It became borderline comical at the end when the refs were at tipping point, penalising non-existent leg pulls and shoulder-charges.

All the while the Storm cheated in their own quiet professional way. And that's the difference.

tigerbenji

Post by tigerbenji » Tue 09 Apr, 2013 10:25 am

Look they Won we Lost & everyone thinks where whingers, but the thing with the penalties is when & where you get them. Storm got so many on the 4th tackle so many times which hurt us really bad, as someone said would like that Penalty count every time we play @ home & i am convinced we would win every time.

simonthetiger

Post by simonthetiger » Tue 09 Apr, 2013 10:33 am

jirskyr wrote:I think it was a case of us trying to copy Melbourne's style and failing to nail it.

Let's be frank - if a team is going to get penalised for ruck infringements it should be Melbourne, they are the masters of it and continually invent new ways to frustrate opponents. Slater himself last night said he was frustrated by what the Tigers were doing, but acknowledged that Melbourne probably do it every week themselves.

Difference is that as masters of deception and corruption, Melbourne have a deft touch, wonderful sleight of hand. They work their opposition calmly and deceptively.

Tigers on the other hand were obvious, like a kid caught with their hand in the cookie jar. I don't feel the refs were consistent, but after about 30 mins we were so obvious about it that they were constantly picking up infringements.

It became borderline comical at the end when the refs were at tipping point, penalising non-existent leg pulls and shoulder-charges.

All the while the Storm cheated in their own quiet professional way. And that's the difference.
Spot on.

Madmag8

Post by Madmag8 » Tue 09 Apr, 2013 11:24 am

Yes 14-7 pen count was over the top .Ive got a big problem with Lawrences decisions in defence absolutely terribble , comes out the line to thin air , big effort but no points

southerntiger

Post by southerntiger » Tue 09 Apr, 2013 12:04 pm

What frustrated me last night was how many sleepers the Storm were able to have around the ruck both in attack and defence.

How many times did Farah run at off-side players and not get a penalty? I wish they would bring back the obligation on the defender to get square or retreat the 10. The Storm deliberately have players loitering around the ruck who arent penalised because they dont try and make a tackle.

Its a blight on the game.

simonthetiger

Post by simonthetiger » Tue 09 Apr, 2013 1:03 pm

Yet Cam Smith got a penalty for the same thing.

The Tooth

Post by The Tooth » Tue 09 Apr, 2013 1:27 pm

No conspiracy, i think thats a bit ridiculous. But no doubt the refereeing was poor and typically Melbourne are the best at pushing the rules and finding new ways of gaining any advantage they can, whislt still still getting the rub of the green with the refs. They'll end up being known for their success but I'll always think of them as cheats or atleast grubs.

BIG AL

Post by BIG AL » Tue 09 Apr, 2013 1:41 pm

I have not watched the game as yet but did listen to about 10 minutes on MMM just after half time and they all were saying that the Tigers were hard done by with the refs calls and could not believe how bad some of them were.