Forwards as a whole

ImageImageImage
Eddie

Forwards as a whole

Post by Eddie » Mon 08 Apr, 2013 11:38 pm

Was very impressed tonight. They looked aggressive with and without the ball. They played direct and as a unit They certainly ran the ball harder then I have seen for a long while from a Tigers team. Without Galloway and Fulton, and with the recent losses of Gibbs, Fifita, Hieghto and Ellis there is no doubt we would be rated the weakest pack in the competition. However there was some real ray of hope tonight.

Our forwards actually looked more likely to score a try then our backs in the opposition 20 (Don't know if that is a good sign or a bad sign!!) We have not been a try scoring threat for years and they troubled Melbourne at times tonight.

The way Thompson charged onto the ball was great to see. Pettybourne was direct and played with attitude. The 2 youngsters off the bench ran hard and had good leg drive. Woods was amazing, his workrate was tremendous. Thought Buchanan was excellent. In defence thought the line speed was good and they really got in the Storm's faces.

An excellent effort, best I have seen for a couple of years. If our key playmakers make a couple of better decisions and our outside backs don't make poor reads or miss easy tackles we nearly win that game tonight. Our forwards dominated Melbourne., who lets be honest are only an average pack. They will have a bigger test this week agains the Saints pack but the mentality was great tonight.

The Tigers pack was really ripping in and its been a while since anyone could say that about us. With a lot of youth in that pavk there is something to work with down the line. Our main problem at the moment lies with the lack of anything from our superstar number 6, and a pretty impotent backline.

mtd

Post by mtd » Tue 09 Apr, 2013 12:18 am

mate it was fantastic to watch. every forward had size. i loved it.

it was like watching a proper forward pack.

Tbone

Post by Tbone » Tue 09 Apr, 2013 1:19 am

Eddie I'd comment but I don't have much further to add. You said it well. Farah and woods are always excellent, but Thompson, pettybourne and BMM were powerful and aggressive. I don't know what happened at training over the week, but I only hope they can do it more often.

Tbone

Post by Tbone » Tue 09 Apr, 2013 1:26 am

Of all the games this year so far, I can't remember the backs outplaying the forwards yet. My scorecard reads Forwards 5, Backs nil.

Korro will restore some attack to the backline when he returns. Tedesco showing some promise at times, but making a few errors here and there. He looks like a different player at fullback compared to the wing. No doubt potter knows it but feels he's too good to leave out of the team.

Tigerpete

Post by Tigerpete » Tue 09 Apr, 2013 1:41 am

Great to hear guys. I haven't seen the game, will most likely watch on Wednesday. The fact is our forwards need to develop as a unit. They need to rely on each other, Back each other up. The only way forwards get better is through hard work and determination. By the sounds of it, tonight they took a step in the right direction. Our forwards may not be rated highly but that doesn't mean they can't get better. Stoked to hear they held their own tonight.

alexaki

Post by alexaki » Tue 09 Apr, 2013 7:18 am

Best forward game I have seen from tigers forwards in over 12 months.....

Posted using RoarFEED 2013

tigersrule4life

Post by tigersrule4life » Tue 09 Apr, 2013 8:24 am

We still have good fowards and will only get better when we sign a prop for mid year switch and Frank Pritchard for next year.

Furious1

Post by Furious1 » Tue 09 Apr, 2013 8:48 am

It was great to see. Hunger and aggression, coupled with offloads. Lets hope they can do it week in week out, thats what first grade requires.

Gary Bakerloo

Post by Gary Bakerloo » Tue 09 Apr, 2013 8:54 am

alexaki wrote:Best forward game I have seen from tigers forwards in over 12 months.....

Posted using RoarFEED 2013
12 months? I reckon 3 years.

It was also have to be the biggest Wests forward pack in recent memory.

hybrid_tiger

Post by hybrid_tiger » Tue 09 Apr, 2013 9:11 am

Isn't it funny what happens when we have size and aggression in the back and front row, and players are coached to hit the line with speed and intent? It was great to see and was definitely the most pleasing aspect of the game.

For years and years we have been begging the team to run hard, tackle hard and hit the line like they mean it. They did it last night.

southerntiger

Post by southerntiger » Tue 09 Apr, 2013 9:35 am

It was a great performance by the pack. We more than matched Melbourne for 60 mins and, IMHO, were the better side.

I wasnt happy with Farah's performance as captain though. I actually think it cost us the game. That stoush with Slater was stupid and his performance last night reminded me of the Darren Senter days. Unless Farah is prepared to lead by example and stop arguing every point with the refs, we may need to look at a new captain - I would love to see Woods as captain.

To clarify, I am not saying Farah's performance was poor just his captaincy.

TIGER

Post by TIGER » Tue 09 Apr, 2013 1:37 pm

No doubt our forwards played great , but the Storms pack and team as a whole weren't exactly firing last night.

simonthetiger

Post by simonthetiger » Tue 09 Apr, 2013 1:42 pm

TIGER wrote:No doubt our forwards played great , but the Storms pack and team as a whole weren't exactly firing last night.

Cos we bashed then.

darkie

Post by darkie » Tue 09 Apr, 2013 3:22 pm

simonthetiger wrote:
TIGER wrote:No doubt our forwards played great , but the Storms pack and team as a whole weren't exactly firing last night.

Cos we bashed then.
Well said simonthetiger. I reckon the storm thought an easy win was on the cards & weren't expecting to get bashed or should we say out played. We had them baffled & they had no comeback until we slackened off the last 20.

TIGER, storm weren't firing because we didn't let them :righton:

stryker

Post by stryker » Tue 09 Apr, 2013 6:07 pm

simonthetiger wrote:

Cos we bashed then.
Exactly Simon....Tiger, the Storm were on last night but we belted the crap out of them. Our pigs were very impressive last night, they backed each other up, ran hard, made their tackles, creaming a few blokes in the process and really gave it to them.

They are young and moderately inexperienced however and the weight of possession Melbourne had in that second half through the work of those jerk-offs in pink was telling. I reckon that was the best forward performance in a minimum of 3 years for this club. Melbourne know they were in a game last night and will probably lose to the bunnies this week as they will be sore.

Peaches

Post by Peaches » Wed 10 Apr, 2013 1:22 am

southerntiger wrote:It was a great performance by the pack. We more than matched Melbourne for 60 mins and, IMHO, were the better side.

I wasnt happy with Farah's performance as captain though. I actually think it cost us the game. That stoush with Slater was stupid and his performance last night reminded me of the Darren Senter days. Unless Farah is prepared to lead by example and stop arguing every point with the refs, we may need to look at a new captain - I would love to see Woods as captain.

To clarify, I am not saying Farah's performance was poor just his captaincy.
Yeah there was certainly an instance or two where I'm sure Farah would love to have it over again.
He has led the team very well though so its not really an issue for me, just an observation.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Wed 10 Apr, 2013 7:28 am

We slowed them down in the tackles......it cost us penalty wise, we need to perfect the timing of this if were going to go this way generally from hereon in.

Need to hold the tackled player up...hold, hold then as the ref calls 'held', then get him on the deck
We were able to attack them in defence rather than have them play the ball while we were still retreating back to the 10......its easier going back & up rather than back, back back

Agree with Southern on farahs running battle with the ref....just get on with it Rob